PDA

View Full Version : ATPL H or ATPL A

Lost Again
22nd Jan 2007, 21:58
Hello boys and lady pilots

If you were a low hour ppl h thinking about taking up flying full time would you take the ATPL H that is now / or soon to be available or do you think it is something that is yet to be accepted by the commercial world.
Will it be seen as something that reflects commercial heli flying or regarded as an easy route ?
Your Thoughts would be appreciated
if there is already a post on this please send me in the right direction as I have been in the pub since 1-00 :yuk:

thanks
richard
lost again (or maybe always !)

Whirlygig
22nd Jan 2007, 22:03
The ATPL(H) that exists now is largely fixed wing based, so is the CPL(H). However, they are just exams that need to be passed. If you're thinking about turning professional, the question should be not whether to wait for new syllabus exams but whether you take ATPL or CPL!

I shouldn't think an employer would care whether it was old or new syllabus but whether you have the hours and experience.

Cheers

Whirls

PENNINE BOY
23rd Jan 2007, 00:42
Chances of getting a return on your investment to fly Helis commercially are a little remote.

If you got your ATPL and flew fixed wing you would stand a better chance of landing a job with a very good salary.

Use the salary to fly Helis and at a later date get your CPL/ATPL H and then decide what avenue you would like to persue!

I wish you well

PB

verticalhold
23rd Jan 2007, 09:00
For God's sake go fixed wing. Otherwise in two years you'll be back here asking why you can't get a job with no experience:ugh:

FW pay and conditions are usually better (I fly both and get paid lots more for two crew shiny airconditioned operations into nicely lit airports than single pilot on a dark and s***ty night into a garden ops)

Helicopters are far more fun and satisfaction. Its' just so bloody hard to break into a decent job with no time. Our requirements are 3500 hours with IR for employed guys. VFR freelances on singles need 1750 hours, 500 turbine.

I'm with pennine boy on this one.

Helinut
23rd Jan 2007, 09:45
It is a heart or head decision.

Use your head and go FW to get well paid and actually have a career structure, where there is a clear avenue for someone straight out of flight school.

Use your heart (assuming you have one) and throw away your financial and life stability and go RW.......... Less money, more fun and enjoyment.

Whirlygig
23rd Jan 2007, 09:49
I thought the question was which set of exams to take? There is hopefully soon to be a proper (H) oriented set of exams.

Lost again, when you've sobered up (!) :D please could you clarify?

Cheers

Whirls

Pofman
23rd Jan 2007, 20:45
Whirligig.
There have been ATPL(H) specific exams in use for the last three years. Most UK schools doing helicopter training have opted out using an exemption to do ATPL(A) exams with R/W POF. This exemption was due to expire 31 Dec 2006. So all those commencing courses after 1 Jan 2007 now must take the helicopter specific exams. Obviously, those in the system will have a time period where the old exams are still available, as during the change from CAA to JAA. Hence UK F/W schools have in general opted out of ATPL(H) integrated training as the numbers on course do not justify the costs of separate classes for a few students.
In addition there are specific exams for those converting an ATPL(A) to ATPL(H)