PDA

View Full Version : NG reverse during taxi

ManaAdaSystem
22nd Jan 2007, 19:54
Boeing has changed the FCTM wording regarding this. It used to be; "Reverse thrust is not recommended during taxi". Presumably this was because of the FOD risk.
Now it says; "Reverse thrust above idle is not recommended during taxi".

So, what say you? Do you use idle reverse during taxi?

BOAC
22nd Jan 2007, 20:25
I do not have access to the latest FCOM but if so, it will be a useful option.

dolly737
22nd Jan 2007, 21:47
Do you use idle reverse during taxi?
No. .

Stearperson
23rd Jan 2007, 06:05
Nope.

Some like to do this in corporate jets. I think they were raised in King Airs.

vapilot2004
23rd Jan 2007, 06:28
Nope.
Some like to do this in corporate jets. I think they were raised in King Airs.

I used to resemble that remark. :)

the dean
23rd Jan 2007, 07:08
we used to use ( occasionally ) thrust reversers on a citation...to save on brakes...at idle power only...but i see other corporate jets using them much more extensively...but prolonged and constant use of reversers might in the long run might be more expensive on reverser parts..??:confused:

the dean.

Bolty McBolt
23rd Jan 2007, 09:32
perhaps now it is no longer required to shut an engine down to taxi in, in the event of a T/R stuck in the deply position on the 73 NG

alexban
23rd Jan 2007, 09:40
required to shutdown on engine during taxi? When was that?
And yes,we are using reversers during long taxi,for ex in cdg where is also a nice slope.But if you read carefully the FCTM,it says reverse thrust ABOVE idle is not recommended.We are using only idle,which is just opening the reversers.

captjns
23rd Jan 2007, 09:46
perhaps now it is no longer required to shut an engine down to taxi in, in the event of a T/R stuck in the deply position on the 73 NG

Does not make sense since the T/Rs utilize respective Hydraulic Systems for acutation under normal conditions.

Hydraulic pressure for the operation of engine No. 1 and engine No. 2 thrust reversers comes from hydraulic systems A and B, respectively. If hydraulic system A and/or B fails, alternate operation for the affected thrust reverser is available through the standby hydraulic system. When the standby system is used, the affected thrust reverser deploys and retracts at a slower rate and some thrust asymmetry can be anticipated.

captjns
23rd Jan 2007, 09:49
In addition to the manufacturers' operating instructions, they may be amended to add additional operating restrictions such as desired by each specific operator.

MrBernoulli
23rd Jan 2007, 10:06
alexban,

"We are using only idle,which is just opening the reversers."

Sorry to be pedantic here but even at idle reverse you ARE reversing a thrust stream .... therefore you are getting reverse thrust of some sort, however minor. And its not as minor as you might imagine! I guess you have to be careful around places where there is dust, sand etc because all you are doing is stirring it up for your low-slung engines to reingest.

alexban
23rd Jan 2007, 10:19
MrBernoulli ,you are not predantic,I was just stating that B says not to use reverse above idle.If idle was also dangerous it would've stated not to use it at all.
Due to the placement of the reversers on the engine it seems that idle reverse won't create much risk of FOD. Of course we won't use reversers on contaminated rwy's ,but if you use it when is dry snow you can see the effect of idle or above idle reverse.

Dixons Cider
23rd Jan 2007, 12:21
From 320 FCOM (CFM's)

CAUTION

On taxiways, the use of reversers, even when restricted to idle thrust, may have the following effects :

-The engines may ingest fine sand and debris that may be detrimental to both the engines and the airframe systems.

-On snow covered areas, snow will recirculate into the air inlet, which may result in engine flame-out or roll back.

Except in an emergency, do not use reverse thrust to control aircraft speed while taxiing.

I know the thread was with ref to NG's, but thought Airbus's take on it could be of interest.

Bolty McBolt
24th Jan 2007, 05:06
I used the word "perhaps" as I have seen in years gone past CFM powered 737 classic taxi in with one engine shut down when reverser stuck deployed.
(I didnt ask which hyd sys powered the T/R)
I assumed as I am not licenced on type that with the T/R deployed engine idle would increase to flight idle making it a difficult taxi or it was to reduce FOD and jet blast for those arriving the aircraft on bay.

....Perhaps
Just thinking outside the box (cockpit)

FlightDetent
24th Jan 2007, 10:43
Does not make sense since the T/Rs utilize respective Hydraulic Systems for acutation under normal conditions.

If the reverser was stuck open, you'd had its engine shut down before stand to avoid causing havoc in the parking bay. No need to change this, it seems. But, I'm no longer rated on type.

FD
(the un-real)