PDA

View Full Version : Dropped ADSL internet connection

scroggs
22nd Jan 2007, 11:43
During the storms last Thursday, my connection to Pipex ADSL was dropped by my Netgear 834G router/modem, and it refuses to come back up. The router stats page shows that it can 'see' the ADSL connection at 8mb downstream (and 0.5mb upstream), but it will not connect to Pipex.

I've hot and cold rebooted the router - right down to re-inserting all the connection details. I've disconnected all telephone socket gadgets and put the internet connection on the house master BT socket. Nothing. All computers on the network get the same report from the router 'LCP down'.

However, having dug my old Speedtouch 330 out of the loft, it managed to connect straight away - hence my presence here!

So, anyone any thoughts on what's up with my Netgear router? It has worked faultlessly for eighteen months or more. Other than its failure to connect, everything seems ok with it, looking through its various stats displays. It simply cannot connect with the Pipex server. Incidentally, the 'storms' referred to above were not electrical, and all my computer gadgets are surge protected anyway.

I have contacted Pipex, but they had little to add - and, of course, once I'd connected using another modem, they're no longer interested! Netgear have yet to respond...

Scroggs

Keef
22nd Jan 2007, 23:26
Been there!

Pipex's Indian customer support weren't much help, but the UK ones were a lot better. That said, I'm still having a problem that they can't diagnose - line drops, where the ADSL won't reconnect to Pipex's computer.

In your case: I had similar problems with a Netgear 834G. I found in the end that it had toggled itself from PPPoA to PPPoE. Changing it back, and setting VC/MUX, VPI/VCI to 0/38, and switching between PAP and CHAP eventually sorted it. In the end, other problems with that router led to the purchase of a Draytek which has been fine.

I can't remember the other settings for the Netgear, but I remember playing with what seemed like an infinity of permutations and combinations before hitting the right one.

scroggs
23rd Jan 2007, 10:40
Ah ha! Thanks for that - all was as it should be except the VPI/VCI was set at 3/35. Resetting to 0/38 cured the problem.

Now, I wonder why that happened?

Cheers

Scroggs