PDA

View Full Version : AH-64 rescue attempt

havoc
21st Jan 2007, 20:16
I caught a video of this rescue on US TV but unable to provide a link.

Helicopter rescue bid for Marine
The Royal Marine killed in action in Afghanistan on Monday was the subject of a dramatic rescue attempt by his colleagues, the MoD has revealed.
L/Cpl Mathew Ford, of 45 Commando Royal Marines, died during an attack on a Taleban fort in the Helmand province.

When his colleagues regrouped and found he was missing, they flew back.

Four strapped themselves to two Apache helicopters which landed inside and outside the fort's wall. But they discovered he was already dead.

UK Task Force spokesman, Lt Col Rory Bruce, said the heroic mission was a "leap into the unknown".

UK APACHE HELICOPTER USED IN RESCUE BID
Design: Based on US AH-64D Apache
Built: In US and UK by Westland
Weapons: 30mm automatic cannon, 70mm aerial rockets, Hellfire missiles
Crew: Pilot and co-pilot/gunner
Range: 170km/106 miles
Engines: Rolls Royce RTM 322 Mk 120
Length: 14.5m

"This is believed to be the first time UK forces have ever tried this type of rescue mission," he said.

"It was an extraordinary tale of heroism and bravery of our airmen, soldiers and marines who were all prepared to put themselves back into the line of fire to rescue a fallen comrade.

"And it was with great sadness they later found their brother-in-arms had been killed in action."

L/Cpl Ford was part of a 200-strong force, who attacked the major Taleban fort to the south of Garmsir in the southern province.

The MoD said the Apache helicopter can only carry a pilot and a gunner but there are attachments on the wings for personnel to harness themselves to in emergencies.

The fort had been a surveillance target for more than two months.

A third Apache helicopter and other units provided covering fire, as the rescue bid got under way, the MoD said.

The helicopters landed in the fort and located L/Cpl Ford's body, which they then strapped to the Apache.

L/Cpl Ford, who was the eldest of three brothers, was brought up in Immingham, North East Lincolnshire - where his mother and stepfather still reside.

He shared a flat in Dundee with his fiancée, Ina.

His mother, Joan, said: "We are all devastated by the news of Mathew's death.

"He was a larger-than-life character who lived his life to the full.

"He was a wonderful son to me and brother to Thomas and Scott and was looking forward to his future with Ina."

L/Cpl Ford's commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel Duncan Dewar RM, said the serviceman's "professionalism, reliability, and selflessness as well as his sharp wit marked him out from the crowd".

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/6269613.stm

Published: 2007/01/17 16:00:57 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Flying Lawyer
21st Jan 2007, 20:31
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/01/22/napache1.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/01/22/napache2.jpg

BBC video here -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/video_and_audio/default.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/video_and_audio/default.stm)

Outstanding dedication and courage. :ok:

Colonal Mustard
21st Jan 2007, 20:56
What you drinkin pal........

Thoughts go to the departed Mne and his family:D

LTNman
21st Jan 2007, 20:57
Must have been one hell of a down draft for those guys

NickLappos
21st Jan 2007, 21:24
Strapped to Apaches and dodging fire, how troops recovered fallen comrade

Declan Walsh in Islamabad and Richard Norton-Taylor
Wednesday January 17, 2007
The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/)
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sp.gif

It was an extraordinary end to a tragic operation. When Lance Corporal Matthew Ford was shot during an assault on a Taliban fortress last Monday, his comrades mounted a dramatic rescue mission that saw soldiers being strapped to the wings of helicopter gunships as they crossed a river under heavy enemy fire.
The remarkable mission, dubbed "Flight of the Phoenix" by some, did not save the life of the 30-year-old marine who, it turned out, had died instantly from gunshot wounds. But it may gain four courageous marines an honoured place in British military history books.
The drama unfolded during a British assault on Jugroom fort, a Taliban base in Garmser, a district of southern Helmand racked by violence. The riverside fort - a high walled compound ringed by watchtowers - had been under surveillance for more than two months. Military intelligence believed key Taliban leaders were hiding inside and that it was the command headquarters for insurgent activity across Garmser.
On Sunday night a 200-strong British force, led by Royal Marines, launched an operation to flush the Taliban out of the heavily fortified position. They started by launching a diversionary attack on other enemy positions to the north. Then at about 2am, they turned their sights on the real target. B1 bombers and 155mm artillery attacked as a company of marines from 45 Commando gathered on the western bank of the river, across from the fort.
Ground assault
They attacked shortly after dawn, storming across the Helmand river in a convoy of Viking amphibious vehicles. Apache gunships, Scimitar armoured vehicles and 105mm artillery provided covering fire. The commandos raced towards the fort walls, tumbled out of the armoured track vehicles, and started the ground assault.
But the besieged Taliban fighters proved resilient, and sprayed the Z Company marines with gunfire. Within minutes the British force suffered four casualties, mostly gunshot wounds. The commandos leapt back into their Vikings and retreated to the far bank of the river.
Moments later, commanding officers realised that one of their number was missing - Lance Corporal Ford. Reconnaissance aircraft found him lying outside the walls of Jugroom fort, on the far side of the river. It was not clear if he was alive. The soldiers prepared to return in the Vikings - a gambit that would entail enormous risk.
The Apache pilots hovering overhead suggested a less perilous but highly unusual move - they would bring the rescue squad across the river. Two Apaches landed and four volunteer marines strapped themselves to the aircraft wings using harnesses.
Dodging Taliban gunfire - and with four marines lying across the wings in the manner of the heroes of the second world war film Flight of the Phoenix - the two Apaches sped across the river and landed outside the Taliban fort. The marines unstrapped themselves and searched for Lance Corporal Ford. Having recovered his body, they strapped it to one of the Apaches and safely crossed the river.
Defence sources described the rescue as an unprecedented operation. Apaches cannot carry passengers - the small fuselage is crammed with instruments and weapons systems and can barely accommodate two pilots. But there are attachments on the wings to which soldiers can harness themselves in an emergency.
Failure
The army did not publicise the spectacular retrieval of Lance Corporal Ford's body in an official account of Operation Glacier Jugroom released last night. "Our intention was to show the insurgents that they are not safe anywhere, that we are able to reach out to them and attack whenever and wherever we choose. To that end the mission was a success," said Lieutenant Colonel Rory Bruce.
The identity of the four marine rescuers remains unknown. But despite their heroism the mission was a failure - the Taliban were not expelled from Jugroom fort, and their defiance may be a harbinger of more hard fighting to come.
Following last year's surprise Taliban resurgence, Nato forces across the south are bracing for an expected spring offensive that may start as early as next month. Some of the toughest action can be expected in Helmand. Already the British military has suffered the first two western combat casualties of 2007. Last Saturday Royal Marine Thomas Curry, 21, was shot during close fighting near Kajaki, in northern Helmand.
Last night friends and comrades paid tribute to Lance Corporal Ford. His commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel Duncan Dewar, said: "Lance Corporal Ford was a popular and gregarious young Royal Marine whose professionalism, reliability, and selflessness as well as his sharp wit marked him out from the crowd."
The eldest of three brothers, he was brought up in Immingham, Lincolnshire. His mother, Joan, said: "We are all devastated by the news of Matthew's death. He was a larger than life character who lived his life to the full. His love for life and his ability to make everyone laugh will always be with us."

Bravo73
21st Jan 2007, 21:31
Also a long thread currently running in the Military Aircrew forum:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260261

Amazing dedication and courage displayed by all involved. :D :D :D

NickLappos
21st Jan 2007, 22:12
On the Cobras we flew in Vietnam, we had seat belts attached so that we could take 2 people sitting on each ammo bay side door. We could take 4 people home in air-conditioned comfort that way.

A very simple rule is that you don't let rules stand in the way when combat needs dictate.

Here is a later model Cobra with the ammo bay door opened:

http://www.winternet.com/%7Etaylor/barn1.jpg

SASless
21st Jan 2007, 22:45
This is a similar story of a Vietnam Era rescue by a Marine Cobra crew.

http://www.popasmoke.com/story14.html

Nigel Osborn
21st Jan 2007, 23:29
Nick,

A bit tough if you decide to fire your rockets!:ugh:

NickLappos
22nd Jan 2007, 00:34
Actually Nigel, I was once standing on the ammo bay door leaning into the front seat checking out the turret, when the back seater tried to shoot. I asked him if he could confirm that the CB's were pulled, and then I heard the loudest boom I have ever heard. I looked at the rocket pods, and saw the center tubes were now empty, where 1 second earlier there were 2.75" rockets in them. I turned to look downrange, and saw the rockets in the far far distance, then heard the boom as they graced the Chu Lai POL dump with their presence. The smoke trail had bracketed the yellow cab of Chu Lai Tower, which was quickly abandoned by the very wise controller.

My behind tingled, and was later shown to have third degree burns from the rocket exhaust. By the grace of the Lord the fins did not cut me, or I would be 3 feet shorter now.

SASless
22nd Jan 2007, 00:40
How long did it take for your legs to quit shaking afterwards Nick?

Pity the poor doctor who had to look at the wound!

IFMU
22nd Jan 2007, 01:01
By the grace of the Lord the fins did not cut me, or I would be 3 feet shorter now.
Dare I?

Or put another way, good thing there was less of you then, else there would be less of you now! :)

-- IFMU

Nigel Osborn
22nd Jan 2007, 01:16
I bet you found a pretty nurse to do some behind the scenes work!:D

rotorque
22nd Jan 2007, 08:17
Nick,

Was it the same guy in the front seat of the cobra above?

Wizzard
22nd Jan 2007, 11:28
Meanwhile back to the thread.
What were the Marines doing attacking a known fortified position with only 200 men? Why was the position not vaporised by the enourmous firepower available? Those Marines should have been attacking a pile of molten rocks - not a "fort"

Their bravery was outstanding but shame on their commanders.:ugh:

scooter boy
22nd Jan 2007, 11:47
Wizzard I absolutely agree with your sentiments about avoiding a ground battle.

Laying waste to the place with the B1s would seem a more sensible option.

I spent some time in Afghanistan in the mid and late nineties and I can confirm that if you are one of the Taliban life is very cheap and to die in battle with infidels is a pretty good option (guarantees so many virgins, goats etc... and the usual crap they get promised for the afterlife).

I am sure that there were very good operational reasons why the place was stormed though.

Shame the poor guy had died by the time they got to him.

SB

Graviman
22nd Jan 2007, 16:54
I am always amazed at just how brave these guys actually are - An extremely valient effort, albeit for a sad result.

...I was once standing on the ammo bay door leaning into the front seat checking out the turret, when the back seater tried to shoot. I asked him if he could confirm that the CB's were pulled, and then I heard the loudest boom I have ever heard. I looked at the rocket pods, and saw the center tubes were now empty, where 1 second earlier there were 2.75" rockets in them. I turned to look downrange, and saw the rockets in the far far distance, then heard the boom as they graced the Chu Lai POL dump with their presence...

I had to read that twice in astonishment - one very close call...

Mart

3D CAM
23rd Jan 2007, 10:36
Wizzard.
Totally agree!
Lions and donkeys come to mind!!
Some gongs should be forthcoming but the press are obsessed with the reality??? of "Big Brother" at the moment to actually see REAL people doing a REAL job.
WELL DONE LADS!!!

NickLappos
23rd Jan 2007, 16:42
One can doubt several things about US Marines, but never their courage nor their ingenuity! Rumor has it if a Marine wants an omelet, it is a very good idea to try very hard not to be an egg.

SASless
23rd Jan 2007, 17:12
....or a chicken!

A Marine Rat in Action.

http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/home/cassandr/public_html/vcblog/mt/images/US-Marine-Rat.gif

Lord Mount
23rd Jan 2007, 17:13
Nick,
I stand to be corrected but I believe this rescue attempt was mounted by Royal Marines (UK) as opposed to US Marines.
I have no doubt however that the US counterparts would have tried the same thing in the circumstances.

LM

Bravo73
23rd Jan 2007, 17:32
Lord Mount,

The Afgan rescue was obviously performed by Royal Marines.

However, I think that Nick and Sasless are referring to a Vietnam era rescue, highlighted in post #8:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3082159&postcount=8

Or direct to the story:

http://www.popasmoke.com/story14.html

Equally remarkable. :D:D

NickLappos
23rd Jan 2007, 17:59
Lord Mount,
I think we have determined that a Marine is a Marine!

The town I used to live in in CT was burned to the ground by Royal Marines, a few years back!

SASless
23rd Jan 2007, 17:59
My admiration for the folks involved in both events is the same and equal. I admire the courage and loyalty such moments demand and the actions of those involved. Rank, service, nationality or location do not matter when it comes time to note such acts.

Aser
24th Jan 2007, 17:01
Nick,
I have no doubt however that the US counterparts would have tried the same thing in the circumstances.
LM
And to illustrate Nick's comments...
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h263/aser_martinez/20061122_01.jpg
Regards.
Aser