PDA

View Full Version : PPL for a 13 year-old

TheDr2
20th Jan 2007, 18:39
I recently found a website for a company based at Enfield that do PPL's for people aged 13+. Being 15 myself, I thought this sounded an interesting place to start. Is this a good idea? and how much would i expect to have to pay overall including all training and the PPL itself?

I also heard someone talking about doing their Flying lessons over in Aus. Would doing flying lessons abroad be worth the time and accomodation? and would UK based airlines prefer to employ Pilots that have trained in the UK?

Dan.

Kirstey
22nd Jan 2007, 09:31
Unless things have changed you can't start a PPL until you're 14 (not a problem for you)

You can't go solo until your 16th Birthday

You can't take your test until 16.5

and you can't be issued with a PPL until you're 17.

So at 15.. go for it!! take your time and enjoy the experience.

Tall_guy_in_a_152
23rd Jan 2007, 15:38
There are lots of variables affecting the cost. Think in terms of about £7000 for the PPL.

Yes, it's cheaper abroad but these are intensive courses. You have time on your side so why not start now, take it slow and enjoy it?

I don't see why airlines would prefer UK vs. foreign training, but you do need to do European (JAR) training if you want to fly in Europe, rather than FAA for the US.

Of course, the PPL is just the first step. Think in terms of £70,000 to get to airline standard unless you can pick up sponsorship. Do a search here for "gapan" and "sponsorship".

IO540
23rd Jan 2007, 16:23
you do need to do European (JAR) training if you want to fly in Europe

There is also the (arguably much more interesting than airlines) corporate jet business, much of which is under FAA. Much more variety in that, and a lot less binge drinking with cabin crew stuck in hotels :) You can tell I have just read Air Babylon :)

What are the age rules for an FAA PPL?

I ask this because I have a son who is 10 and is capable of flying (FS2004) anywhere in Europe using GPS, is getting into VOR/DME nav and ILS, and should be in a position to do a real PPL fairly early. This year I should have the CPL and could add a CFI to that and then I could train him. Alternatively I could train him anyway, and then he could go to the USA for a couple of weeks to get the logbook entries and the checkride (or even do it over here in the TB20...).

IO540
23rd Jan 2007, 19:24
So, 16 yrs min age for logging any training time?

Kirstey
24th Jan 2007, 15:27
Thats the FAA.. the kid lives in bloody Hertforshire!
You can log time from 14 in the UK under JAR

slim_slag
24th Jan 2007, 15:30
You need the student certificate to solo, you can still log hours with an instructor before it's issued. Happens all the time.

Lukesdad
24th Jan 2007, 16:51
Hours can be logged from age 14 but you can't solo until you are 16. The problem here is that your instructor could get you up to solo standard whilst you are still fourteen but be unable to progress you beyond the point where you would normally have completed your first solo flight.

My own son logged his first couple of hours whilst 14 and then began serious training when he was fifteen, to be able to solo at 16 and subsequently gain his PPL at seventeen. Had you considered gliding? Every instructor I know tells me that glider pilots make excellent PPL students and I think the age requirements are lower than powered flying.

Good Luck!

IO540
24th Jan 2007, 20:29
Yes there is indeed confusion between FAA and JAA here. I was talking about FAA.

From what S/Slag says, you can receive training (dual only) before the issue of the student pilot certificate. If correct, this potentially means one could cover a large amount of instructional material. One probably would not be able to move on to instrument stuff however since it is likely (my FAR/AIM is not to hand) one cannot start logging that until one holds the basic private certificate.

Edit: the min age for training under FAA is in fact 14, ref (http://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/student_cert/).

rudestuff
24th Jan 2007, 22:29
Well done IO540:

If you're going to back up your argument with a reference - at least use one which supports it: It says 14 for a student cert (glider) nothing about training. you can teach your 5 year old to fly if you want, just no solo until he/she is old enough to get a student cert.

IO540
25th Jan 2007, 06:56
Yes, it looks like one can start training for an FAA PPL at any age, and presumably log the lessons.

Is there no lower limit anywhere?

Sarcasm ignored.