PDA

View Full Version : Talk about real Heroes

SASless
21st Jan 2007, 14:48
Every now and then, amidst all the bad news and worries of life today, something happens that makes one stop and admire the courage some of our fellows possess. Courage that sets an example for all of the rest of us. I think it fitting to remember some of those individuals who humble us by their acts of bravery.
Rick Rescorla, a Brit in the US Army who died in the World Trade Center attack on 911. Take a moment to read of his life and deeds. See if you don't agree he was one of a kind.
http://www.mudvillegazette.com/images/resc2.jpg

http://www.mudvillegazette.com/archives/000307.html is the link that will take you to a narrative of his amazing life story.

tablet_eraser
21st Jan 2007, 16:32
There is a book about Rick Rescorla, Heart of a Soldier by James Stewart. Stewart wrote it in collaboration with Daniel J Hill, Rescorla's best friend, and his wife Susan Rescorla; a good friend of mine in the USAF sent it to me last year.

It is one of the most intensely moving stories I have ever read, particularly when dealing with Rescorla's exemplary leadership and courage in the field and his selfless actions on 9/11. I can't recommend it highly enough.

SASless
21st Jan 2007, 18:06
http://www.rickrescorla.com/HPIM0017-4.jpg

Beaver man
21st Jan 2007, 19:48
When you remember that Rick was also involved in the action described in the book, "We were soldiers once and young" in Vietnam then you realise that he really was..."Quite a guy"... and a Brit to boot!!

rusty_y2k2
21st Jan 2007, 20:39
wow....

incredible man

QDMQDMQDM
21st Jan 2007, 21:04
He had grown up in a village on England's southwest coast and left at age sixteen to join the British military. He'd fought against Communists in Cyprus and Rhodesia. He then came to America, he said, so that he could enlist in the Army and go to Vietnam. He welcomed the opportunity to join the American cause in Southeast Asia.

The man was undoubtedly a hero. I don't want to detract from that. He was a brave man who ultimately gave his life for others. I know I could not have done it.

However, given what was known about the utterly futile Vietnam War even at the time, the above strikes me as the action of a certifiable lunatic, or at least an enormously naive young man. This kind of naivety is not something to be encouraged. We don't want the best of our young men scouring the globe for 'righteous' wars to fight in.

I am submitting this, no doubt highly controversial, post because I cannot stand mindless hero worship and the glorification of war. It makes me gag.

eagle 86
21st Jan 2007, 21:11
There's always one!!
GAGS
E86

SASless
22nd Jan 2007, 00:03
The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Hubert Humphrey

Brian Abraham
22nd Jan 2007, 00:17
However, given what was known about the utterly futile Vietnam War even at the time, the above strikes me as the action of a certifiable lunatic, or at least an enormously naive young man. This kind of naivety is not something to be encouraged.

Good job this is not a face to face conversation. One of us would be exiting minus a few pieces.

Two's in
22nd Jan 2007, 01:51
The irony of fighting in "righteous wars" in order to allow individuals like QDM to graduate with a Masters Degree in hindsight and declare self-glorifying diatribes was always lost on me until after I had left the military. I applaud QDM for reminding me of why some of us did it. If ever I am invited to fight for my country again, I will be sure to check the "must be noble cause" box first.

White flag - Check
Geneva Convention Terms of Surrender - Check
Stockholm Syndrome Study Guide - Check
Blank Ammo - Check

Gentlemen - we are ready to engage the enemy...