PDA

View Full Version : Can this happen?

Atishoo
20th Jan 2007, 15:52
Is it possible for a Captain to get his friends upgraded to either club or 1st, when he is flying the plane?

Flying later this year long haul, maybe on flight with friend who Captains for airline were flying with, was just wondering, any idas anyone? Thanks :)

wiggy
20th Jan 2007, 15:55
It will depend on the airline - can you give us a clue?

Atishoo
20th Jan 2007, 15:56
Sure....... BA

TopBunk
20th Jan 2007, 16:01
There are people in various functions that can influence:ok: where people end up sitting. The check-in staff, despatchers, cabin crew and pilots can all bring some influence to bear.

It all depends on space being available and catering, of course. What happens on board after the aircraft doors are closed is under he notional control of the captain, although doubtless some movement between cabins takes place without the knowledge of the captain, although it shouldn't.

Atishoo
20th Jan 2007, 16:04
So if our friend knows we are travelling with him before we board, will we still have to wait till were on board to know if we have a chance of an upgrade?

How can Dispatchers have influence of upgrading?

Dolley
20th Jan 2007, 16:06
uhhh, talking of up-grades...

Any virgin girls out there? Can you give me a hint if it's possible to get an up-grade on a flight to/from Boston? How is the best approach? Is it worth mentioning that I'm working for another airline? Who do I talk to, check-in?

Any tips are welcome :-)
It's going to be my first flight with Virgin (well, once I flew Virgin Blue in Oz) so I want to make the most of it :-)

Cheers!

Atishoo
20th Jan 2007, 16:08
OIIII

Get ya own thread !!!

LOL just kidding

wiggy
20th Jan 2007, 16:10
How can Dispatchers have influence of upgrading?
Errr........quite easily before the doors are closed.
In my outfit (large airline with current IR issues) the Captain meets with the dispatcher ( sorry, Turnround co-ordinator) on arrival at the aircraft and can, at that point discuss upgrades. If it's OK ( seats available, etc) then normally the passenger finds ouyt about the upgrade at the gate. Upgrading after door closure can also be done but it gets a bit sensitive ( other passengers see whats going on).

Atishoo - sorry, edited after posting so we crossed.

Atishoo
20th Jan 2007, 16:11
LOL Wiggy,

But how? i mean how can they say someone can move from economy up to 1st, who dos it all have to go past? sorry to be thick, but just trying to work out how it all woks

Ta

TightSlot
20th Jan 2007, 16:32
The original question cannot be answered here, because the variables affecting the answer are extensive. Atishoo - the best answer you can get will be the on that is provided by your friend, the Captain, and even then circumstances on the day may make an upgrade difficult or impossible: For example, it is possible that customers who have actually paid for the priviledge may wish to sit in the seats they have paid for?