PDA

View Full Version : JPA, BOCS, what next?

Rotation Time
20th Jan 2007, 12:09
With JPA being a bit of a nightmare for most, does anyone have any ideas about BOCS, is it going to be any good? I think it hits the streets in couple of weeks and I dont know much about it. Any idea how its going to effect us front enders?

Ken Scott
20th Jan 2007, 12:30
Difficult to imagine that it will have been adequately funded to ensure that it works properly, first time. I can't see that its introduction will be any less disruptive than that of JPA. We were supposed to be briefed on its operation last week, but the trainers can't use it properly so heaven help the rest of us!

As with all these computer systems there seems to be an idea that they must be better than doing it the old way, although in my experience simply adding a computer to the process does not always improve things. BOCS seems to principally benefit those up the command chain as it makes it simpler to see what's going on, but I doubt it will benefit the workers at the coal face.

Bring back chinagraph boards!!

Antique Driver
20th Jan 2007, 12:53
Just delayed changing our unit's details onto BOCS as we have discovered that most of the qualifications and currencies don't apply to us and the ones that do aren't on the system!!!:ugh:

I for one am all in favour of the chinagraph board and paper record/file system that seems to work irrespective of software problems and upgrade requirements!!

As an aside, like JPA all your personal and contact information is held on BOCS - including spouse/partner and children's details. Is it secure???

N Joe
20th Jan 2007, 21:41
Many moons ago, we had a standalone electronic stateboard that we all liked whilst our poorer cousins remained in the 60s with plastic slats on their wall.
Then we "progressed", joined with our poorer cousins and we all used the Ops system to record engineering data. It wasn't very good but at least everyone used the same system. Just as we got used to it and made some changes to improve it, along came BOCS.
BOCS doesn't (or at least didn't when I last saw it) have any engineering pages of any use so.... we paid a contractor to develop a new electronic stateboard like the one we had originally!
At least we've managed to cut our poorer cousins loose again!
N Joe

Fast but Safe
25th Jan 2007, 17:23
What is BOCS? Do I sense another expensive failure!!

FbS

cynicalint
25th Jan 2007, 18:17
Don't worry, BOCS, JPA and LITTS will combine to ensure the spare parts are paid on time, the right airframe is sent to Stafford and finances are invested in bombay....

SaddamsLoveChild
25th Jan 2007, 18:20
What the F is BOCS, is it an abbreviation for B*llocks!! Sorry but I just havent heard of it before.

threeputt
25th Jan 2007, 20:45
BOCS was due to take over from STARs when I was still in, nearly two years ago! Good to see that procurement is still as razor sharp as it was before! :confused:
3P

Background Noise
25th Jan 2007, 21:12
............AMS?

vecvechookattack
25th Jan 2007, 21:30
BOCS.....AMS....? STARs I may be familiar with....is/was STARs the electronic log book whcih failed about 2 years ago and has been replaced by LADs ?

ZOFO
25th Jan 2007, 21:46
............AMS?

Is that Automatic Message Switch?, could it be AMSCERP or NSTN or is it just another load of accronyms made by the big boys to confuse us all into thinking they know what they are spending our money on....:ugh: Who could forget CUDS that was brill!!:= Like has been said good to see that our Procurement department is keeping ahead of its times, (aren't they due to go on strike soon)?

Anyway there is nothing wrong with joining the ranks of the Womens Royal Balloon Corps.....:O

cynicalint
25th Jan 2007, 21:52
TLAs are SOp TFN in THE RAF. The overarching conceptual solution provides an integrated operational archietecture that will instill a balanced secure option to ensure a conventional communication capability that will combine historic proven systems with optomistic promising innovations to prolong the existence of Electroinc Dinosorus Shytology.

can't put it any simpler!!

ZOFO
25th Jan 2007, 22:01
TLAs are SOp TFN in THE RAF. The overarching conceptual solution provides an integrated operational archietecture that will instill a balanced secure option to ensure a conventional communication capability that will combine historic proven systems with optomistic promising innovations to prolong the existence of Electroinc Dinosorus Shytology.

can't put it any simpler!!

IMI K say again over, all after TLAs K. I tell you what though that was so good there must be a vacancy somewhere for confusing the hell out of people. (Oh Yeah a Politician) that'll do:) AH so thats where shytology comes from:ok:

cynicalint
25th Jan 2007, 22:19
ZOFO, IMI K AA TLAs would indicate a soupcon of morse monkey training!..what I said was that ' the idea is that a new system can be built to complement the old new technology so we can talk to each other while keeping a certain IT company in employment"

On_The_Top_Bunk
26th Jan 2007, 15:19
For the 1st of Feb.

Dust off your FAX machines, wall planners, chinagraphs and ensure you have some fag packets to do your planning on.

BOCS is going to be interesting.

Photoplanet
28th Jan 2007, 20:41
OK, I'm in the RAF, have been for 15 years, I don't know what BOCS is, (do you mean BACS??), nor do I know what AMS or STARS is...... If you're going to have a discussion, at least someone explain what it is that we're discussing?

Pontius Navigator
28th Jan 2007, 20:44
And what of MFIS? That had defered success in April last year and nothing since except for the hardware that is fine for JPA, if it had JPA on it.

Green Flash
28th Jan 2007, 20:55
BOC'S etc etc

Bought from a contractor/ouside source? Then it will probably be sh!te, but deemed wonderfull.

Developed in house through experience by the front end operators? Then it'll work, probably first time too, but will be deemed sh!te.

The diifference will be many bazillions of spons; no prizes for guessing which will cost more.:rolleyes:

Rotation Time
29th Jan 2007, 19:10
BOCS (Boeing Operation Control Suite) has been bought off the civy airlines to act as a system for crewing within the militaty AT world. Having had a breif at my unit today it is apparant that the system keeps freezing and locking up. This does not sound good as it is supposed to go live in 2 days!! :ugh:

3 bladed beast
30th Jan 2007, 07:56
ABIW

Has the kind gentleman who designed the lovely BOCS departed your fair Sqn yet?

He did deserve his promotion for designing such good software....

Always_broken_in_wilts
30th Jan 2007, 08:07
It went off line yesterday afternoon to try and sort out refresh issues and now is online and working at warp speed which is excellant news so fingers crossed that with time it will prove to be a very good system:ooh: