PDA

View Full Version : Nick - 76 Vent Blower question

Perro Rojo
20th Jan 2007, 02:16
Now that the ram air scoops above the windshield on all our 76s have been blocked off, is there any reason that I cannot leave the vent blower on for the whole flight to provide more air for my pax?

In discussion here, some are of the opinion that the vent blower is for ground ops only and others think that it will burn up on me if I leave it on. I haven't had any problems to date.

What are your thoughts on this?

charron
20th Jan 2007, 02:36
Let us know how long it lasts.

The usual suspect to that smokey burning smell is the vent blower motor has been left on. Or maybe your fleet has something more durable installed.

You could ask the engineers to cut some gasper holes in the windows for more air. Lots of operators leave the blower motor on until well after takeoff when the airspeed lets some ram air ventilate the cabin. Motor gets turned back on before landing.

On the ground the one of you that isn't steering can hold the door open with your foot.

Charron

Duck Dogers
20th Jan 2007, 05:19
Perro,
No doubt you have blocked the overhead scoops due to rain ingestion. I also found it difficult to fly the 76 while holding an umbrella but if you look in the limitations section it states positive ventilation must be provided at all times (or words to that effect. It's been a while since I flew one) meaning either the vent blower or heater must be on OR vents open.

Methinks it's to stop the accumulation of exhaust gases in the rear cabin.

Hope this helps.
DD

Brian Abraham
20th Jan 2007, 07:07
I must confess I wasn't aware the vent blower did anything. At least thats what it seemed like to me for all the effect it had.

NickLappos
20th Jan 2007, 12:06
Brian:

1) Congrats on posting with your name! Good idea, I think

Perro:

2) The vent blower is designed to be used in all flight phases, and can be used continuously. Brian is right, it really just circulates hot air.

3) Those openings in the windshield frame on the early S/N's is a great ventilator, but they are also a great shower bath. We could never get it to not gather rain, even when cranked as closed as we could. If your environment is such that rain is unlikely, just un-tape them and use them, then tape again when rain is likely. They work great.

Brian Abraham
20th Jan 2007, 23:14
Nick, you can put the knife back in it's sheath. :eek: Unless I misread the intent of your post that is. ;) The comment was an honest appraisal on my part after 12,000 hours. I always considered the ventilation in all its forms/mod states to be woefully deficient and the Archilles heel of an otherwise outstanding machine. I found a day flying in the heat debilitating in the 76, where as a Bell was no problem. Personally I want air on my face when the OAT gets up, as did other pilots in our group, and the engineers came up with a mod on the A model to replace the vent that blew onto the top of your head (where it did no good at all unless bald and not wearing a cap) and put vents on the side pillar where you could direct the flow onto your face. Our C model had the vents in the bottom of the doors, while it gave a healthy flow of air, once again didn't put it where I wanted it. It seemed to me that the machine was designed from the out set to have air con. Just personal observations and preferences, no need to shoot the messenger.

NickLappos
20th Jan 2007, 23:50
That's the problem with typed words, Brian. I agree with you!

We cut those holes in the windshield frame after I complained loudly to the development manager! I also agree that the down tube was too far aft, your concept to get the air onto your face is right on!

I also meant it when I said that the vent blower blew the hot air around!

Peace.

Perro Rojo
21st Jan 2007, 02:19
Thanks Nick, you answered my question. It was specifically about whether the vent blower could be used in flight.

The other ventilation options vary as every 76 has different installations.

gulliBell
22nd Jan 2007, 05:07
...The comment was an honest appraisal on my part after 12,000 hours...
All I've got to say is, Brian you really need to start putting some hours together :D