PDA

View Full Version : Serious internet access problem (seems related to AVG)

Bus429
19th Jan 2007, 17:01
Hello All,

Acer 9104 Aspire running on XP
AVG is the antivirus programme
Mozilla is browser
Office 2003 and using Outlook

Yesterday, I downloaded "My PDF Server" and "Ghost script" to convert "Publisher" files (I do not have Acrobat Distiller). The downloaded programmes were rubbish and were uninstalled.
This morning, on switch on, could not get access to the web. Modem, ISP all OK but I had limited or no connectivity. Ran "System Restore" - all OK, until AVG ran its scheduled scan; computer went mad. Managed to sort it out but lost connectivity again. Ran AVG again then computer shut down suddenly. Running "System Restore" seems to sort it out and I can get on line. Running AVG seems to cause problems but is it merely discovering a problem? AVG has usually performed brilliantly. I need help rapido!

BOAC
19th Jan 2007, 17:12
The downloaded programmes were rubbish and were uninstalled.
- where on earth did you download them from, why were they 'rubbish'?

IF you have got 'something nasty', it may have disabled/infected AVG itself. Perhaps worth trying 'housecall' on-line scan from Trend - google will locate.

Saab Dastard
19th Jan 2007, 23:00
Surprised that GhostScript is "rubbish" - I've used it a lot to handle postscript files.

I don't know anything about "My PDF server" - from the name, it might have affected your network settings.

Suggest you uninstall AVG, then remove the setup files of what you downloaded, then re-install AVG.

SD

Bus429
20th Jan 2007, 16:52
It wasn't Ghost script at fault; it was spy ware! My network driver was corrupted. Had to have some professionals in to fix it; £60 well spent, I think.