PDA

View Full Version : how to plan Alternate Aerodrome

lusthansa
19th Jan 2007, 13:01
Hello guys, I am a full newbie to OPS.

Letīs say I wanna go from EDDF to EDVE. EDVE is closed du to WX @ ETA. So I have to plan 2 ALTNs. I select EDDV and EDBM.

most precise apch in edve is (rwy 08) loc.
most precise apch in eddv is ils 09l
most precise apch in edbm is loc RWY? (fantasy value)

There is supposed to be a planning method called one step below. What does it mean? Which ICAO - document does apply or do I find tutorials on how to plan ALTNs in the national AIPs?

can i only plan eddv to be altn if minima @ hanover are at or above ndb min. in haj (as ndb apch is next lower apch cat in dest bwe) oder can i only plan eddv to be altn if minima @ hanover are at or above loc min in haj (as loc apch is next lower apch cat in dest altn 1). same questions for altn 2.

I have atpl theory with good grades in final exam and am quite shocked i never heard the term one step below in my whole education!!

same does apply for open five planning. where in jar ops can i find details on theis method// where in jar ops can i find details on isolated aerodrome? (no altn?)

yours lusthansa
Thank you for help // LUSTHANSA

boredcounter
20th Jan 2007, 04:17
If you can use the things you are asking about, look in the company Ops Manuals. If they do exist that is where they will be, if not there, you can't do them..........period.

No alternate airfield = Island reserves and to the best of my knowledge is 2 hrs normal cruise speed hold, then splash down. Regardless of the number of engines.

Again, if it is not in the company manuals, forget it, forget ICAO. Your local CAA (JAA ops or not) will grant.

Celestar
20th Jan 2007, 11:10
I don t think and/or remember that there's any details on isolated airport without alternate in JAR-OPS. I guess you must take minima 2000ft ceiling and visibility of +5km (same minima as a flight without alternate of less than 6 hours with 2 separated runways).
My only experience without alternate was Easter Island, and there you have a very specific and local procedure to follow.

BOAC
20th Jan 2007, 11:13
lusthansa - you have already asked this, and you have had a reply. Have you read it?

Lost at fl345
24th Jan 2007, 05:50
Check your OPS manual in the Fuel policy section it should be there if isnt then it doesnt exist.....:}

Right Way Up
24th Jan 2007, 06:55
Lusthansa,
One step down planning for alternates as you put it, is used at dispatch and it works like this. (JAR Ops 1)
Actual Available Approach - Required minima
Cat 3 - Cat 1
Cat 1 - Non-prec app(can use LOC minima) *
Non Precision - Non-precision + 200ft/1000m RVR *
Circling - Circling
(*cloud ceiling required as well as viz/rvr)
Cannot remember seeing island reserves but you are allowed to dispatch without alternate if multi runway and weather above a certain level. Minimum 15 mins extra fuel has to be loaded in lieu of alternate fuel.