PDA

View Full Version : Manchester recruitment day...Any experiences?

Ian_Wannabe
19th Jan 2007, 09:15
Hey everyone - I was just given this link by a fellow aviation student as we're looking to secure jobs now we're coming to the end of our course.

Both him and myself are looking to go into Operations or ramp agent work and so I was wondering if anyone has been to one of these open days before?

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/News/SSC110405132210.xml.html

I'm slightly concerned its geared more towards the retail/customer service areas with a few ramp operatives thrown in because of this:

"We’ve got lots of seasonal vacancies at the moment – including retail, catering, customer service, baggage handlers, ramp operatives or HGV drivers"

So if anyone has been before could you shed some light on the situation? Im from leeds and to get to this means that i'd have to take a day off and spend a bit of money that I dont have on fuel so i wanna make sure its worth it.

Thanks everyone

Ian

endofeng
19th Jan 2007, 11:02
I attended a similar thing two years ago (at MAN). There were many companies showing, including some airlines, but, the airlines were NOT looking for flight deck.

I, like you, was straight out of training and looking to secure a job as a dispatcher, or something of that ilk. Aviance were happy to talk to me and I secured an interview for a check in agents position, with the scope for quick promotion to airside......min wage!

I personally think you would be better of saving your money and either:

a.) Put it to stamps to send your CV to as many airlines as you can.

b.) Put it towards money to buy yourself a type rating.

The later option being the airlines more favourable route. If you are in the same position as I was and couldn't afford a type rating, just keep on sending in those CV's, and if you have ANY and I mean ANY contacts, use them.......

I was one of the lucky ones and secured an FO's position on the Q400 with a well known operator, but since then the Industry has changed and more and more airlines are looking for Type Rated people. It is a shame really, beacuse if people hadn't of agreed to pay Ratings in the first instance, airlines would still be paying.:ugh:

I hope this helps, and in answer to your original question, I wouldn't bother!

------------------
endofeng:ok: