PDA

View Full Version : Kaspersky v6 - watch out

IO540
18th Jan 2007, 21:53
I have used KAV for a few years and have found it the best behaved and the most solid and trouble-free AV program, on a range of machines. Far better than Norton or McAfee.

Until v6. After a few hours' messing around being unable to login at the ctrl-alt-del prompt I found that ctrl-alt-del is not accepted via a USB keyboard. Only with an old PS/2 keyboard does it work. The BIOS config (USB kbd support on/off) makes no diff, as one would expect as windoze has taken over the kbd driver at that point.

I've reported it to them (.co.uk) and they are very responsive but not aware of this bug, so it could be something else. Yet it seems rather specific... I did try to disable the various new features like keylogger detection but it didn't help.

The new "detect suspiciously behaving apps" features in V6 also stop lots of things working, e.g. PC/Anywhere cannot accept incoming calls anymore. I have simply disabled all that stuff now.

I am back to v5 on that machine; Kaspersky kindly generated me a new v5 key for a year.

Duckbutt
19th Jan 2007, 08:13
Dunno if its at all helpful to you IO, I have KAV 6 and a wireless keyboard connecting via USB and havn't had any problems.

vapilot2004
19th Jan 2007, 10:58
Not exactly sure why your C-A-D key combo is not working but if you browse to the
x: \windows\system32 folder and locate the taskmgr.exe file - give it a right-click and send it (as a shortcut) to the desktop for mouse click-able access at all times. (where X is the letter of your Windows drive - usually C)

Good Luck!