PDA

View Full Version : A mili question

Scarebus_A300
18th Jan 2007, 18:22
Hello all,

I am currently in my first year of A-level and have decided that after I finish my studies, I would like to either serve in the R.A.F. or Spanish Airforce as a pilot.

Anyway, just two questions I hope you can help me with - Firstly, physics and mathematics are not my strongest subjects, but I can get by with hard work and application - is this a problem?

Secondly, I am short sighted - evidently, this is a hinderance, but would it stop me flying full stop, even on transport aircraft??

Thanks

Scarebus_A300 :)

ProfessionalStudent
18th Jan 2007, 18:39
Scarebus
On the first point, as long as you attain the minimum qualifications you'll be fine.
Generally you need to be 6/6 uncorrected on the eyesight front.
Look on the sticky thread about joining as a pilot. Consider deleting this thread and posting again in that thread. There is loads of good info in that thread on all kinds of subjects. There's a lot to plough through but that's surely a small price to pay.

Regards

ProStu

Pontius Navigator
18th Jan 2007, 18:48
PS, he also needs to say whether he is a British national and whether he has the requisite GCSE or equivalent including English and Maths at grade C or better.

Scarebus_A300
18th Jan 2007, 18:56
I am an english national - but do I need physics too @ GCSE?

ProfessionalStudent
18th Jan 2007, 19:06
I am an english national - but do I need physics too @ GCSE?

Look at the sticky thread!

Look at the RAF Website (use Google if it's not in the thread)

Use some common sense and initiative and look for the answers yourself rather than relying on us to just spoon feed you the information...

Scarebus_A300
18th Jan 2007, 19:10
I didn't ask you to spoon feed me information, did I? but fine, ok

Pontius Navigator
18th Jan 2007, 19:11
For pilot or nav you need 3 GCSE A-C plus A-C in English and Maths. For WSOp you also need Physics.

At A-level you need 2 passes at grade E and above.

Experience shows that low, acceptable grades tend to indicate poor aptitude scores.

Short-sightedness will prevent acceptance as a pilot. Mild short-sightedness may be acceptable for navigator but you would need to be able to read a car number plate at 25 metres.

Pontius Navigator
18th Jan 2007, 19:13

Tetchy there Scarebus. You will get help but do give people credit for old age and experience.

ProfessionalStudent
18th Jan 2007, 19:23
Tetchy there Scarebus. You will get help but do give people credit for old age and experience.

Steady on Pontius!

Old age I can deal with...!

BluntM8
19th Jan 2007, 08:50

Then bog off and look in the sticky. That's why it's there.

xraf
19th Jan 2007, 09:28
Then bog off and look in the sticky. That's why it's there.

Methinks this whipper snapper needs a dose of the tag team formerly known as Tourist/Xraf:=

See the following for a recent engagement:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252133&highlight=wheezy+boys

TorqueOfTheDevil
22nd Jan 2007, 15:00
Scarebus,

Like you, the sciences aren't my strong point, but I was given very good advice by the RAF Careers Office - they said "Don't do subjects you think the RAF would want - play to your strengths". This is because academic knowledge of science doesn't make someone a good pilot (provided you have a basic grasp ie GCSE), and also because, if the RAF turns you down, you have good grades in your chosen subjects to help you get a different job instead of mediocre science grades.

As a result, I took French, Latin and Greek A-level, got sponsorship for uni and read Classics, and here I am now flying in the RAF.

Before anyone else says it, Classics ain't much use in my day-to-day work (though I can be useful for a Latin grace at a formal dinner!) - but by the same token, how many ex-engineer students now flying in the military now use their degree studies either?!

Good luck,

TOTD

airborne_artist
22nd Jan 2007, 15:21
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/philm/eye.jpg

Full details on eyesight standards are at http://www.aop.org.uk/uploaded_files/raf_nov06.pdf for the RAF and http://www.aop.org.uk/uploaded_files/pdf/04-navy.pdf for the Royal Navy.

Note that laser correction is not allowed, and will be picked-up at a medical

sharmine
22nd Jan 2007, 15:28
Well guys you really did the community proud. Young lad on the beach in Malaga uses his initiative to ask some experienced guys for advice and what does he get - "BOG OFF" and "don't come here to be spoonfed".:{

Appears he has bogged off as you suggested so you ought to be proud of your acheivment.:=

Scarebus (if you bother to return), If this is an indication of the quality of the group you wish to join then I suggest you concentrate on the Spanish Air Force, you might find them a bit more laid back and tolerant.:ok:

Good luck

Sharmine

Tourist
22nd Jan 2007, 15:35
You are quite correct sharmine.

The thoughtless bullying of these people has lost us another candidate for the "short sighted with learning dificulties /spoon-feed only/nationality undecided" fighter squadron of tomorrow.

How will the UK survive?
I weep for the future.

JAG3
22nd Jan 2007, 16:07
''For pilot or nav you need 3 GCSE A-C plus A-C in English and Maths. For WSOp you also need Physics.''

Its 5 GCSE's Pontius.

ratty1
22nd Jan 2007, 16:15
That is what he said. 3 GCSE at A-C, plus A-C in English and maths. That's 5.

dogdriver
22nd Jan 2007, 16:16
leave the lad alone, if you have a problem with discrete threads, don't bother to reply!
scarebus, i learnt to fly with no science/maths background at all beyond gcse and got by fine by putting in a few extra hours. however i got binned on eyesight, despite trying every way to get round it. only option that MIGHT have worked was to have gone nav (though nb that still has pretty strict criteria, just not as strict as pilot) and then transferred at a later date, which happened a few times, especially on the rotary fleet - so you might want to think about that.

otherwise you might be left with the commerical airlines as your only option - :ok: at least the money is better

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jan 2007, 16:16
''For pilot or nav you need 3 GCSE A-C plus A-C in English and Maths. For WSOp you also need Physics.''

Its 5 GCSE's Pontius.

Er 3 GCSE + 1 English + 1 Maths = 5 GCSE, or it did when we did GCE.

You also need Physics means

2 GCSE + 1 English + 1 Maths + 1 Physics = 5.

airborne_artist
22nd Jan 2007, 16:21
From http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/pilot.cfm

"Qualifications: 5 GCSEs/SCEs and 2 A-levels or 3 Highers or equivalent. GCSEs/SCEs at Grade C/3 minimum to include English language and maths" - no mention of Physics.

WSO EW needs Physics GCSE.

ratty1
22nd Jan 2007, 16:23
From

no mention of Physics.

WSOps require Physics. That is why he said For WSOp you also need Physics

ProfessionalStudent
22nd Jan 2007, 16:29
Well guys you really did the community proud. Young lad on the beach in Malaga uses his initiative to ask some experienced guys for advice and what does he get - "BOG OFF" and "don't come here to be spoonfed".:{
Appears he has bogged off as you suggested so you ought to be proud of your acheivment.:=
Scarebus (if you bother to return), If this is an indication of the quality of the group you wish to join then I suggest you concentrate on the Spanish Air Force, you might find them a bit more laid back and tolerant.:ok:
Good luck
Sharmine

Sharmine

All of the information that Scarebus was asking was available via RAF websites or a phone call.

"Do I need to make an appointment or can I just turn up?" I'm sorry, but that's the kind of puerile question that's going to get people's backs up. PICK UP THE BLOODY PHONE!

AND, some of the questions he asked are answered in the sticky thread at the top of the forum. Given the recent hoo-ha about disappearing threads and lack of bandwidth, it's no surprise that some have got a cockstand about it.

The RAF always has, and still does, required its officers to show common sense and initiative and Scarebus, amongst others, has not shown those qualities by posting his ill-considered questions. Others, who have taken the time to research things themelves or don't feel able to ask questions of official sources, have been treated with respect and people have helped them accordingly.

We don't mind helping people who are (or at least seem to be) helping themselves. Is that right? Is that fair? What gives us the right to be so snobby and elitist? The answers? Probably not and probably not. We got where we are through honest hard work (as these kind of forums weren't about when I joined) and the services are being eroded enough, without them being full of lily-livered, lazy spongers who can't be bothered to get up off their PS2-induced fat, lazy arses.

I for one don't think asking the kind of questions he asked as "using his initiative". Using Google and directory enquiries and using the telephone would have been initiative. If they all came up with blanks and then he posted here, that would have been initiative.

So yes, if you can't be arsed, "BOG OFF" as you eloquently put it.

ratty1
22nd Jan 2007, 16:34
Sharmine

All of the information that Scarebus was asking was available via RAF websites or a phone call.

"Do I need to make an appointment or can I just turn up?" I'm sorry, but that's the kind of puerile question that's going to get people's backs up. PICK UP THE BLOODY PHONE!

AND, some of the questions he asked are answered in the sticky thread at the top of the forum. Given the recent hoo-ha about disappearing threads and lack of bandwidth, it's no surprise that some have got a cockstand about it.

The RAF always has, and still does, required its officers to show common sense and initiative and Scarebus, amongst others, has not shown those qualities by posting his ill-considered questions. Others, who have taken the time to research things themelves or don't feel able to ask questions of official sources, have been treated with respect and people have helped them accordingly.

We don't mind helping people who are (or at least seem to be) helping themselves. Is that right? Is that fair? What gives us the right to be so snobby and elitist? The answers? Probably not and probably not. We got where we are through honest hard work (as these kind of forums weren't about when I joined) and the services are being eroded enough, without them being full of lily-livered, lazy spongers who can't be bothered to get up off their PS2-induced fat, lazy arses.

I for one don't think asking the kind of questions he asked as "using his initiative". Using Google and directory enquiries and using the telephone would have been initiative. If they all came up with blanks and then he posted here, that would have been initiative.

So yes, if you can't be arsed, "BOG OFF" as you eloquently put it.

Sorry, just to clarify can I join as a pilot with 3 gcse and asthma which i haven't had an attack since 11 and 3/4 at the age 0f 23. Also do I have to sign up for long? How much do they get paid during training?:E