PDA

View Full Version : BA CC Strike

etonrifle
18th Jan 2007, 15:28
Will you continue to use BA with the threat of a CC strike hanging over the company?

Personally have just switched 4 long haul Club trips to other airlines over the next 2 months.

GANNET FAN
18th Jan 2007, 15:32
Will you continue to use BA with the threat of a CC strike hanging over the company?

Personally have just switched 4 long haul Club trips to other airlines over the next 2 months.

Hignorant I'm afraid. I have a Club ticket booked with BA to the US at the end of Feb. Can I change it to another airline? Or will the strike be over by then?

Final 3 Greens
18th Jan 2007, 15:59
Etonrifle

No way. I have said so on the thread in R&N.

They are playing with fire (both sides)

SXB
18th Jan 2007, 20:39
I've just booked my February travel, I haven't purchased anything from BA as a direct result over the uncertainty regarding their ability to provide an uninterrupted service. I'm one of many thousands.

Some of us will probably never go back to BA, the airline industry is a cut throat industry just like most others. BA CC need to understand that. Things change, that's life. Most of us have already been through what is happening to the CC, despite what they think they are not 'entitled' to a certain level of T & Cs, they must change with the market.

What BA CC are doing is suicide but they probably won't realise until it's too late.....

SXB
18th Jan 2007, 20:42
Gannet
If you have a full fare C class ticket then it will be refundable

manintheback
19th Jan 2007, 15:31
Family Summer Holiday booked on Easy - plenty of miles for a freebie with BA but legacy of annual strife means I cant take the risk.

Biz class to SAfrica early Feb, alternate plans made earlier this week. Doubt that Toronto end of March will be affected

TightSlot
19th Jan 2007, 16:35
There are already two discrete threads running on this topic - in R&N and in CC Forums: Both threads enable all sides in the dispute to air their grievances.

I'd like to keep this thread for discussions relating to the impact of the Strikes on passengers rather than it being another avenue for BA crew to make their case.

Accordingly, I've deleted three posts on this thread, not because they are 'Bad" but becuase the tone and content are better suited to the other threads - I hope that the contributors involved will understand.

So, this thread 'for passengers use only' - (Not often you see that phrase these days!)

19th Jan 2007, 16:46
It's 2 weeks before the world cup final, and you want to get a new television to watch it on.
You have a choice of 2 brands, both very close in spec and price, but you've heard reports that brand A is unreliable and may break down, and if it does, you won't be able to get a replacement in time for the big match.
Because of this, you decide to buy brand B instead.

That's only for a football match.

Now imagine you're planning a holiday for you and your family. Maybe the only chance you will have to get away for another year.

Why would you want to risk buying a ticket with brand A, when you know it's likely to be unreliable?

chippy63
20th Jan 2007, 06:06
I've done a bit of a tier points run since I was down here in the Gulf this week, to get in ahead of any protracted disruption..

Cheltman
20th Jan 2007, 21:01
Have cancelled BA flight tickets to China and replaced with Virgin. Its a pity that BA is no longer a viable alternative. The product is Ok, the people are great but if the risk of disruption continues why should I risk. Hope they (management and employees) sought it out as I fear the company will loose a lot of business traffic forever.

Greenie from Hell
21st Jan 2007, 01:15
I've done exactly the same. Due to fly to the US with BA in March.
Now cancelled, and going with Virgin instead.

621andy
21st Jan 2007, 09:08
Anyone know if flights to/from frankfurt will be affected?

I'm due to fly back to the Uk for a medical in early feb, and have no desire to be bu88ered about by BA!

The_Banking_Scot
21st Jan 2007, 17:59
Hi;
From the BBC;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6285177.stm
Regards
TBS

SXB
21st Jan 2007, 19:52
I've just booked most of my March travel, our travel office has stopped offering BA altogether. Apparently we won't be offered BA flights until the situation has been resolved.

Glamgirl
21st Jan 2007, 20:08
May I on behalf of all of us non-striking cabin crew at BA apologise for your ruined travel plans and future apprehension to fly with us. I'm truly sorry it's come to this and I wish it hadn't. I know it's only a small consolation but I will be turning up for work whilst the strike is happening. Talks will hopefully carry on during the week and I really hope for a cancellation of the strike.

The_Banking_Scot
21st Jan 2007, 21:24
Hi,

Thanks very much for that Glamgirl.

I hope that everything gets sorted out to everybody's satisfaction without the strike going ahead.

Regards

TBS

kedhandi
21st Jan 2007, 22:38
thanks to glam girl and co, but as posted else where earlier last week, too late.... Our company made us switch to alternative airlines, with BA threatening strike action. As a passenger, you are in the process of now losing approximately 750 flights a year with our company. Alternative European airlines will fill our long haul voids easily, around the world. Its a sorry state of affairs really, as CC you are the face of the company to me a as a passenger.

Whilst from reading the threads I sympathise with some of your issues, to have a union led company or supposed union led company driving these actions to me it doesn't make business sense.

All I have to say is as a British person, I am proud to fly with the national flag carrier, in my opinion BA. But no more another strike action within the company is enough for me..... I will be using alternatives in future. Our company for one cannot survive on your actions, as I believe your company (BA) cannot survive too much longer on another issue within the ranks. :ugh:

slim_slag
22nd Jan 2007, 07:42
Obviously BA has serious internal problems if 96% of a group votes for strike action, and it must suck to be an employee told your T&C are to be reduced, but how does it affect passengers?

Well, a leaner and meaner BA can only be a good thing for passengers. For many reasons I don't tend to use them much anymore, but them being around means extra competition for the airlines that I do happen to fly. All we need now is for the remaining restrictive practices to be removed - for me that is for transatlantic flights to be totally deregulated and left to the market.

This deregulation has to happen, and there are other airlines lining up to provide service from Europe to the US. 'Ryanair Atlantic' is more than just a pipe dream. If BA doesn't restructure before then, they will have their ass handed to them on a plate in much the same way has happened in the UK/Europe markets.

I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter to pax if BA survives because another airline will spring up to fill their place, but we still have over 500k miles in the household account (and due to the mrs this is growing), and I'd like BA to be around long enough to spend them :)

manintheback
22nd Jan 2007, 08:47
1) Ring BA number.
2) After 47 minutes get through
3) To be told that there is no availability in class booked for any sensible time period before or after (went for six weeks spread)
4) And I cant have money back to book another flight with a competitor until the flight is actually cancelled
5) And if I book with competitor and BA flight goes I lose my money
6) And they wont cancel the flight until it may be too late to get on another carrier on that day anyway

Nice one BA

Data Dad
22nd Jan 2007, 09:35
Rebooking policy changed whilst I was speaking to the representative on phone.... SHORT-HAUL can now be rebooked to alternative destination as well as date - So I was told anyway. Problem is ALL Domestic flights from/to LGW and LHR have been "frozen" from 29th Jan - 4th feb and it's impossible to get anything changed for us in the regions - DOH! :ugh:

zed3
22nd Jan 2007, 09:39
and baggersup ..... if they are treating the pax like that , how are they treating the staff ? modern "management" grrrrrrrr! I had yet another cancellation from MAN to DUS last night with BACON (only ten or so pax , very suspicious - tech they said !!!!!) and we all flew LH two hours late , no compensation , as the flight was cancelled not delayed !!!!!!!!!!

GANNET FAN
22nd Jan 2007, 09:46
On the BA website this morning

"Following the announcement by the Transport and General Workers Union’s (T&G) cabin crew branch that its members will take industrial action on January 29, 30 and 31; February 5, 6 and 7; and February 12, 13 and 14 we would like to assure our customers that British Airways remains committed to resolving this dispute through continued talks."

Be that as it may, does this mean these are the ONLY dates BA CC will strike or is this just the tip of the iceberg? I ask from a purely selfish SLF point of view only.

JC

essouira
22nd Jan 2007, 10:28
I am due to fly London-Dusseldorf on Sunday, returning Monday evening.
I have also just held for over half an hour only to be told that I can rearrange my booking but only to another flight within two weeks. This is absurd.
If I cancel and book to Dusseldorf with another airline, I will receive no refund from BA.
This really is the end for me with BA.
I support the staff in their demands but am furious that the company is refusing to refund customers so that they can find an alternative route.

Get Smart
22nd Jan 2007, 11:10
I too support glamgirl and also apologise to pax. A strike is not necessary. BASSA are abusing their power. I know a lot of you can't be bothered but at the very least, please, please put your complaints into WW. I think BA are also just as arrogant. They think pax have short memories. They're wrong. A lot of people are getting caught up in their own issues (human nautre of course) and forgetting that the people that hold the most power are the paying customer. Both BA and BASSA are fools. Destroying an airline with scant regard for anyone else because of their own stupid pride. I don't blame any of your for shopping elsewhere but of course it saddens me as I work for BA and am usually very proud of that. Today, I am ashmed at their behaviours. BA call themselves managers? BASSA all themselves professional unions? Where is the evidence if they can't even talk to each other. It's a disgrace. Shame BA shame!! :{

manintheback
22nd Jan 2007, 14:56
Further to my previous post about BA.CON and the no rebook/no refund farce
They actually have seats available on the new dates requested, but wont change because we used airmiles for upgrades and will not allow these to transfer like for like.
Anyone discover if their advance purchase club ticket has been allowed to transfer where only full cost are now available on the new desired date?

LondonJ
23rd Jan 2007, 11:34
I'm due to fly transatlantic on the 31st with BA, my dates are completely inflexible, putting me in exactly the same position as manintheback. There are flights available for the same date at the same price on another airline but I don't know whether BA will refund the money.

Someone please clarify for me, the heart of this dispute is that cc don't want certain basic illnesses to count as sick days? Further they want more money for new entrants. It's simple economics, if new entrants are worth more than they are being paid then other airlines would offer more and the new entrants should go elsewhere. Gun to the head union tactics are out-dated and will never work in the world of globalised competition, they'll only hurt themselves with lay-offs when BA can't fill their planes anymore.

Goodbye BA, I'll never fly with you again.

Andy_S
23rd Jan 2007, 12:10
Someone please clarify for me, the heart of this dispute is that cc don't want certain basic illnesses to count as sick days? Further they want more money for new entrants.

That's just for starters....

There's an interesting thread on the main news & rumours page - if you can find time to read all 26 pages of it! But the largest CC trade union actually have a list of demands as long as your arm. Some of those relate to wanting BA to preserve certain working practices, and others relate to enhancing existing T&C's.

Jordan D
24th Jan 2007, 12:27
Rather annoyed, because I have to fly EDI-LON-EDI next Tuesday ... would normally have flown with BA via LHR, but can't, so have to fly Easyjet (BMI is not in budget for expenses - c.£400 for a day return!), and the Easyjet returns from London in the evening aren't exactly great timings.

Who loses? I do.

Jordan

manintheback
24th Jan 2007, 20:34
BA are now refunding for flights booked for 30th and 31st Jan.

towser
24th Jan 2007, 21:46
Jordan . have you looked at EDI to London City. Its operated by BA Connect so should not be affected by the strike.

Wonga
25th Jan 2007, 05:48
Well the bbc website suggests that the strike is going ahead and BA will make an announcement tomorrow with further details.

I'm booked to fly from Denver to Heathrow on the 30th and now expect to have to extend my trip and or book a flight with another airline all at my expense.

Does anyone know what BA are likely to do with regards to compensation if any? I've checked my travel insurance and typically it looks like industrial action may not be covered!

On a bright side at least I might be able to get some more skiing in.

TopBunk
25th Jan 2007, 07:09
Wonga

I guess that would be returning on the aircraft that leaves London Monday 29th. That being the case I would anticipate it operating normally, as the cabin crew strike is not scheduled to start until departures from London on the 30th. Cabin crew downroute will report for duty normally.

nivsy
25th Jan 2007, 08:06
Can it be confirmed that operations out of LGW with franchise operator Gib Airways will NOT be involved in Industrial action?

Due to fly GIB-LGW on 30th.

Nivsy

TopBunk
25th Jan 2007, 08:29
GB Airways are not involved in the strike. The only people involved are BA Cabin Crew.

Jordan D
25th Jan 2007, 09:38
I did indeed look at flights to/from LCY, but the prohibitive cost of a return puts it above the expense limit I can claim.

As it is its looking like EDI-LGW/STN-EDI with EZY

Jordan

Curious Pax
25th Jan 2007, 10:55
As reported on the R&N thread, BA have cancelled all flights from LHR on 30th & 31st, and all domestic and European flights from LGW on those days. Interesting course of action which could be taken 2 ways:

they are taking the nuclear approach in order to allow passengers to be clear about their fate, rather than seeing who shows up on the day. Or
they want to make things seem as bad as possible due to the strike so that they have more ammo for an aggressive response afterwards.

Must admit that were I CC I would be tempted to show up for work, as given the flights are cancelled presumably most will just be sent home - the point has been made, but won't have cost you a days pay!
The Gatwick cancellations are a bit strange given the remarks of LGW-based crew on here who seemed to suggest that the strike wouldn't have much support there.
I type this as I sit smugly knowing that I booked a roundtrip in/out of LHR on the 30th on bmi, and presumably holding will be rather less if there are few if any BA aircraft in the sky! ;)

jack_essex
25th Jan 2007, 11:08
I am flying with GB Airways from LGW - TFS In Feb on one of the strike dates. I am just worrying myself but I have read that GB Airways will NOT be involved and GB Airways flights will go ahead as normal.

towser
25th Jan 2007, 13:10
Jordan- I suspect that perhaps everyone else who needs to get to London has had the same idea and therefore the flights are quite full putting the cost up.

Bluejay
25th Jan 2007, 13:51
The flying schedule currently planned for the strike period is:

· Operation of some longhaul services into London Heathrow as crew down-route are expected to work as normal
· No shorthaul services from or into London Heathrow
· No shorthaul services from or into London Gatwick
· Up to six daily longhaul services (out of the normal nine) from London Gatwick
· Operation of the Manchester to New York JFK daily service
· Operation of all flights by subsidiary BA Connect
· Operation of all flights by British Airways franchise partners to and from UK (GB Airways, BMED, Loganair and SunAir)
· Operation of all flights by other carriers (including oneworld Alliance partners) that have a BA codeshare flight number.
· All dedicated freighter services will operate as normal

Hope this helps

Globaliser
25th Jan 2007, 16:11
The Gatwick cancellations are a bit strange given the remarks of LGW-based crew on here who seemed to suggest that the strike wouldn't have much support there.It's only shorthaul, and all but three longhaul routes are operating as normal.

I also have been puzzled by this - not sure what is going on. I wonder whether this is helped by the new crewing arrangements, making it possible to deploy crew more flexibly if/when they turn up?

Cheltman
25th Jan 2007, 22:09
The original question was would you use BA again?
Having just changed and used Virgin this week I am afraid the answer is no unless I have to. BA appear to have converted themselves into the British Leyland of the skies. Stupid unions and crap management. I sugest that both sides read a bit on what happened at leyland, perhaps they may wake up before its too late. Very sad. But there are plenty of alternatives out there. Just need to accept the loss of the gold card I guess!

manintheback
26th Jan 2007, 07:55
[QUOTE=Cheltman;3089962]The original question was would you use BA again?
[QUOTE]

Reality is yes but only if no alternative. This is 4 or 5 years running now?. So more flights booked for me yesterday for later in the year, all with other carriers. Its going to take years of stable and quality operation before I stop checking to see if a sensible alternative exists to BA.

Jordan D
26th Jan 2007, 10:10
towser - indeed, you are no doubt correct. £100 return flying into LGW, out of STN ... haven't been to LGW in years.

For those concerned, BA has listed a whole swathe of flights after 31st Jan that are cancelled - notable ones include the whole flying programme from New York on 1st Feb, and the cancellation of one of the flights to SIN/SYD for a week.

Jordan

jethrobee
26th Jan 2007, 14:16
Im going to lose my gold card, because of this strike!!!! Basically I am 200 exec points short this year, runs out mid feb and I have a trip to Kuwait which would earn me the points required but I chose to go with Kuwait Airways because I have to be there.

Cheers BA, I doubt very much that they will observe the old club points and let me retain my card for another year. Although to be honest, yet another strike with BA has left me feeling like im going to start using other airlines.

Best Wishes
Jeth