PDA

View Full Version : Special VFR

Golf Alpha Whisky
18th Jan 2007, 07:18
Just brushing up on some Air Law revision before taking to the skies again after a brief lay off. One thing I am slightly confused about and have not encountered in 100 hours is Special VFR.

Can anyone give a clear and concise definition of SVFR and the criteria leading to it being requested / offered by ATC?

Thanks.

Fuji Abound
18th Jan 2007, 07:46
Assuming you dont have an IR or IMC its only value is enabling you to transit a class A CTR such as Heathrow and fly at night (assuming you have a night rating).

In both instances flight is not permitted under VFR, so for example a low level transit of Heathrow can only be given under a SVFR clearance.

If you have an IR or IMC it enables you to continue to fly in visibility which would not meet the criteria for VFR but avoids you having to declare IFR.

(I assume you know the minimium met conditions for SVFR so no point in trotting those out).

the dean
18th Jan 2007, 07:48
not entirely sure about the rules where you are...i am in JAA land...but think our regs were the same as your before JAA.

special VFR can be requested by the piolt..not offered by ATC.

it allows a pilot in a control zone only ( not outside ) to operate to less stringent requirements than those applying to VFR...such as ( accepting the 500 foot rule at all times )..( except for helicopters )...clear of cloud and in sight of the ground or water...and at night with a night rating outside the hours VFR....

in JAA land we now have another limitation of not less tha 3kms visibility but i can't recall if that applies to you...i think it does...maybe miles in your case.

SVFR flights may not land or depart aerodromes if the visibility is less tha 3kms or the cloud base is less than 500 feet.( JAA )

some of that may help you alpha w.

the dean.

rustle
18th Jan 2007, 07:59
Assuming you dont have an IR or IMC its only value is enabling you to transit a class A CTR such as Heathrow and fly at night (assuming you have a night rating).

In both instances flight is not permitted under VFR, so for example a low level transit of Heathrow can only be given under a SVFR clearance.

If you have an IR or IMC it enables you to continue to fly in visibility which would not meet the criteria for VFR but avoids you having to declare IFR.

The above is wrong in so many ways it should be ignored completely.

SVFR is only available in CAS that extends to the ground (CTR or zone)

Most typically used to cut corners off the Heathrow (Class A) zone to the west of that zone and to get into the CIs when you don't have an IR.

Also used at any airport inside CAS at night by anyone without an IMC (upto class D) or IR [as well as a NR/NQ of course ;)].

The only viz reduction is in relation to accepting an SVFR clearance, and that viz reduction enables the holder of an IMC or IR to accept viz of 3000m (3km) instead of 10000m (10km).

Talkdownman
18th Jan 2007, 08:06
As a SVFR controller for 2 decades I couldn't really better the excellent summary in the Pooley's Flight Guide. Take a look at that. Remember that SVFR is a concession where VFR flight is not permitted (eg in Class A or Class D below VMC) and IFR flight is not possible for whatever reason. SVFR must not hinder IFR traffic and separation must be provided. So it is not IFR, nor VFR, it is a SPECIAL visual flight clearance under Special Rules. Remember that SVFR flight must remain clear of cloud and in sight of the surface. SVFR flights are absolved from the '1000 ft Rule' of Rule 5 (the low flying rule) to facilitate SVFR compliance at low levels but you must still be able to 'alight clear' etc. Non IMC capable pilots require 10km minimum flight visibility. This is reduced to only 3 km for IMC capable pilots. Because of the requirement to remain clear of cloud and in sight of the surface it is often impractical for ATC to assign a vector therefore pilot nav to ensure the lateral separation must be accurate. Where and when VFR is permitted in a CTR (eg. Class D) you may still request Special VFR to secure the bonus of separation should you require it!

London Mil
18th Jan 2007, 08:06
Also, under SVFR ATC have to provide separation between all aircraft, including VFR vs VFR. This is not required under a VFR clearance in Class C and below.

Golf Alpha Whisky
18th Jan 2007, 08:12
Talkdownman - do I assume then that as a bog standard PPL which I am (non IMC / IR / NR) then it is unlikely that SFVR will ever apply? That is what I was trying to get my head around - say flying from Aberdeen (Class D) - (Heathrow / Class A does not apply!) as a non IMC pilot I cannot think of a scenario where I would / could fly SVFR?

Thanks!

Mariner9
18th Jan 2007, 08:27
GAW - possibly, unless you ever wish to fly to the Channel Islands (or through their zone), where given your qualifications, you can only go SVFR.

dublinpilot
18th Jan 2007, 08:44
One little thing to be careful of.....the 10km viz is a restriction of a UK issued PPL, and not a restriction of SVFR itself. Therefore many pilots operating in the UK on a non UK issued PPL will not be subject to the 10km viz limitation.

This is also important when thinking of SVFR in other countries, where it is largely used to allow a flight that can't operate IFR (for whatever reason) to operate in meteorlogical conditions lower than VFR conditions.

GAW,

You are likely to use SVFR in two senaros,

1. You will to transit a class A zone. You can't accept IFR without an instrument rating, and there is no VFR in class A. Operating under SVFR allows you to still operate in the class A zone. SVFR is only available in a Zone, not any other type of airspace.

2. You wish to fly at night in a class D (or higher) zone. You can't accept IFR in class D or higher airspace, and you can't fly VFR at night. You can operate as a SVFR flight though ;)

I hope that helps!

Talkdownman
18th Jan 2007, 09:02
Talkdownman - do I assume then that as a bog standard PPL which I am (non IMC / IR / NR) then it is unlikely that SFVR will ever apply? That is what I was trying to get my head around - say flying from Aberdeen (Class D) - (Heathrow / Class A does not apply!) as a non IMC pilot I cannot think of a scenario where I would / could fly SVFR? Thanks!Dublinpilot has said it really. As a bog-standard PPL you have the most to gain! Subject to ATC clearance you may enter the PD CTR for whatever reason without IF capability in less tha VMC without having to worry about the 1000 ft low-flying rule PROVIDED that you ensure that you can alight clear, remain clear of cloud, in sight of the surface and maintain 10km flight vis. Plus you will get the added bonus of separation. Trouble is if you have all that you have probably got VMC anyway and a VFR clearance would probably be more appropriate unless you were desperate for ATC separation. In your case a SVFR clearance would come into its own at night when VFR flight is not permitted, you are not IFR capable, and you have a need to be in the PD CTR at night.

Mariner9
18th Jan 2007, 09:41
Correct information Tankdownman and Dublin Pilot, but GAW's question was a bog standard ppl without IMC/night rating etc would he ever need or even encounter SVFR. Realistically, the answer is only if flying through a class A zone, such as the CI.

PPRuNe Radar
18th Jan 2007, 09:58
Also, under SVFR ATC have to provide separation between all aircraft, including VFR vs VFR.

This could be misleading. Separation is never provided between straight VFRs as could be implied above. Both would have to be under SVFR for this to apply.

Golf Alpha Whisky
18th Jan 2007, 10:05
Thanks all!

This has really been spinning my brain and I can understand why!

The thing that confused me totally was operating at less than VMC without IFR capability provided I had 10k vis, clear of cloud and in sight of surface .... which exceeds VMC! .... I think!

IO540
18th Jan 2007, 10:24
Oh dear.... a plain PPL cannot fly in sub-VMC conditions, as a PIC, under any circumstances whatsoever.

I think the simple answer which the original poster is looking for is this:

SVFR is a weird "legal device" for enabling a plain PPL holder to fly in Class A airspace.

SVFR is possible only if the Class A extends all the way down to ground.

The practical use of SVFR is for transiting over Class A airports (in the UK this basically means Heathrow) or for landing at Class A airports (in the UK, for little planes, this basically means the Channel Islands).

Golf Alpha Whisky
18th Jan 2007, 10:38
Oh dear.... a plain PPL cannot fly in sub-VMC conditions, as a PIC, under any circumstances whatsoever.

Yes I'm aware of that IO540 but all references I looked at (haven't checked Pooleys yet) lacked a clear and concise definition of SVFR as it applies to a basic PPL hence the confusion.

Thanks for your clarity and as I won't be anywhere near Heathrow I can rest easy!

dublinpilot
18th Jan 2007, 10:59

Only correct in so far as it applies to a UK issued PPL.

I don't mean to make an issue of that, as obviously that's correct GAW's case.

But it's important to understand that that is not the case of other PPL's issued by other states, which don't attach a similar condition to their licences. Otherwise GAW will get totally confused when they look at other countries and see that they attempt to use SVFR to allow flight in sub VFR conditions.

dp

Talkdownman
18th Jan 2007, 10:59
GAW's question was a bog standard ppl without IMC/night rating etc would he ever need or even encounter SVFR.Well, it used to be that the Night Rating conferred only passenger carriage privileges at night and that a 'bog-standard' PPL could fly at night without passengers or a Night Rating. Does that no longer apply, then?

IO540
18th Jan 2007, 11:02
I think one could get very involved with SVFR if one wanted to, and it's easy to write something over which somebody who works for ATC will go after me with all guns blazing...

The visibility requirement is one thing. Under VFR, a UK (or any JAA, AFAIK) plain PPL can fly "VFR" down to 3000m. A non-JAA ICAO (e.g. FAA) PPL can potentially fly "VFR" down to 1500m. (The ICAO definition of VMC is 1500m). An IR or IMCR holder can fly "VFR" down to the ICAO VMC figure of 1500m. Under SVFR, the plain PPL has to be 10000m+, unless he has an IR or IMCR in which case he has to be 3000m+. I don't know if the visibility is that observed by the pilot (in which case it is obviously unenforceable except in the most gross breach, like OVC002) or if they are as issued by ATC (in which case ATC should not issue an SVFR clearance if the met vis is below 3000m; ATC usually assume the pilot has the max privileges).

Another thing is that SVFR can also apply in Class D. For example I once flew into Isle of Man VFR and without me asking they issued me with an SVFR clearance. I don't know why; the vis was about 50km. Different airports have different conditions in their ATC manuals under which they can issue an SVFR clearance and I don't know if this is published openly anywhere.

But I don't think one needs to know this detail. In 6 years and 700+ hours I have never intentionally flown SVFR other than to the CI. An IMCR holder can fly IFR to any Class D airport and that cuts out all the nonsense anyway.

Dublinpilot - no PPL anywhere can fly sub VMC, under the ICAO definition of VMC of 1500m. I did say "VMC", not "VFR" :) I don't believe that CAA or JAA have redefined VMC; what I think they have done is they have defined VFR as 3000m or whatever. Very confusing.

Talkdownman - a JAA PPL with night qual. can fly at night with passengers OK, subject to the night passenger currency rule.

Mariner9
18th Jan 2007, 11:26
And just to clarify matters regarding the night rating, if you dont have a night rating, you can't excersise the priviledges of your plain vanilla ppl at night either with or without pax.

dublinpilot
18th Jan 2007, 11:33
I did say "VMC", not "VFR"

Sorry, I missed that suttlity :O

Perhaps a practical example of how SVFR is used in other countries might help demonstrate that for GAW.

Lets say I wish to depart Dublin Airport....It's in a class C zone.

In order to comply with VFR (yes VFR this time IO :O ) rules in class C airspace, I can only depart if the visibility is 5km or more, and I can maintain 1500m meters horizontal separation from clouds, and 1500ft vertical separation from clouds.

Minimum height requirements in Ireland require me to be 500ft AGL at all times enroute. So to be 500ft above the ground, and 1500ft below the clouds, I'd need a cloud base of 2000ft.

Lets say the cloud base is only 1800ft on the day. I can't depart under VFR as I can't maintain all the separation. To make matters interesting lets also so the viz is only 4.5km.

If only I could make it outside the class C airspace into the class G, I'd be fine, as I don't have to separate myself from the cloud base by 1500ft there.

The viz would be legal in class G too, once I stayed below 140kts.

This is where SVFR comes in. If I can get a SVFR clearance, then I can take off in a cloud base as low as 500ft (by day) and a visibility as low as 1.5km.

This will allow me to clear the class C zone, and get into the class G airspace where I have the less restrictive requirements.

Your UK PPL would preclude you from using he SVFR to get around the viz requirements, but you could use it (as far as I understand UK PPL's) to get around the cloud base requirement.

This is a common way that SVFR is used outside the UK, and I only explain it, so that it doesn't confuse you when you see reference to it in other states.

It can also be used in this way in the UK, if you are an IMC/IR holder, and therefore aren't restricted to 10km viz in controlled airspace.

I hope that helps you out ;)

dp

Talkdownman
18th Jan 2007, 11:35
And just to clarify matters regarding the night rating, if you dont have a night rating, you can't excersise the priviledges of your plain vanilla ppl at night either with or without pax.Thanks, just found it in Sched 8. Obviously changed somewhere way back along the line.

London Mil
18th Jan 2007, 11:47
This could be misleading. Separation is never provided between straight VFRs as could be implied above. Both would have to be under SVFR for this to apply.

Of course, you are right.

englishal
18th Jan 2007, 11:49
Lets say the cloud base is only 1800ft on the day. I can't depart under VFR as I can't maintain all the separation. To make matters interesting lets also so the viz is only 4.5km.
Isn't there a "below 3000'" bit, which if I recall correctly is "clear of cloud" or words to that affect?

I have flown SVFR in two different scenarios:-

1) Flying to the channel islands. Actually although it is SVFR it is no different from VFR, except you'll be given clearance limits (E.g. not above 2000', heading 180 etc....)

2) Flying in the USA where SVFR means something totally different - i.e. flight in conditions sub VFR, e.g. 1 statute mile vis.....

dublinpilot
18th Jan 2007, 12:05
Isn't there a "below 3000'" bit, which if I recall correctly is "clear of cloud" or words to that affect?

Not in class C airspace.

Toadpool
18th Jan 2007, 12:22
in which case ATC should not issue an SVFR clearance if the met vis is below 3000m .
Not so. A CPL (no IR) holder can, I believe, accept a SVFR clearance with a min vis of 1800m. Therefore ATC can not issue a SVFR clearance with a vis of less than 1800m, or a cloud base of less than 600'. ATC are not aware of what licence/ratings a pilot has and are not permitted to ask.
Also VMC minima vary according to the class of airspace, e.g. in the UK min vis of 5km in class D, 1500m in class G.

IO540
18th Jan 2007, 12:37
Isn't this fun, for a horrid day like today (gusts of 60kt) :)

A CPL (no IR) holder can, I believe, accept a SVFR clearance with a min vis of 1800m

Good point, but quite narrow. I suspect the way this works is this: The old CAA CPL (or the old CAA ATPL for that matter) gives you an honorary IMC Rating, which needs 1800m min vis for any VMC. A JAA CPL/ATPL doesn't give you the honorary IMCR.

Toadpool
18th Jan 2007, 13:01
The old CAA CPL (or the old CAA ATPL for that matter) gives you an honorary IMC Rating, which needs 1800m min vis for any VMC.
What better way to spend your day, sat in front of a computer with a gale howling around you:) .
I don't know about the new JAA licencing, but VMC in controlled airspace, where allowed,(B,C,D,E) requires a minimum flight vis of 5km. A Pilots licencing requirements may increase this, but they certainly cannot reduce it. Therefore a vis of less than 5km in these airspaces = IMC, and IFR or SVFR clearances are required.
A pilot can ask for a SVFR clearance at any time, but the minima, even for an ATPL/IR are, I believe, 1800m vis/600' cloudbase.
Having said that, should you ask for SVFR on a gin clear CAVOK day, you may get a very short reply;) .
The crazy thing, at least in the UK, is that a plain PPL can fly VFR in most class D airspace with a flight vis of at least 5km. But for SVFR in the same airspace a minimum vis of 10km is required:hmm: .

IO540
18th Jan 2007, 14:13
Having said that, should you ask for SVFR on a gin clear CAVOK day, you may get a very short reply

That's why I think the whole subject is best ignored, except for Heathrow transit or going to Jersey etc.

Outside the UK, ATC are generally much more accomodating when it comes to enroute VFR in Class [anything but A] so it is even more moot.

Talkdownman
18th Jan 2007, 15:09
The crazy thing, at least in the UK, is that a plain PPL can fly VFR in most class D airspace with a flight vis of at least 5km. But for SVFR in the same airspace a minimum vis of 10km is required:hmm: .Yep. Crazy. A bonus of 5Km and the ATCO has to provide separation. One sure way of unnecessarily clogging up a CTR. Anybody know when the London CTR due to go Class C?

bookworm
18th Jan 2007, 16:12
The visibility requirement is one thing. Under VFR, a UK (or any JAA, AFAIK) plain PPL can fly "VFR" down to 3000m. A non-JAA ICAO (e.g. FAA) PPL can potentially fly "VFR" down to 1500m. (The ICAO definition of VMC is 1500m). An IR or IMCR holder can fly "VFR" down to the ICAO VMC figure of 1500m.

There's little point in quoting these licence privilege minima, which apply outside controlled airspace, when SVFR is available only within controlled airspace. The minimum visibility for VFR within controlled airspace is 5000 m. Less than that, and it's SVFR or IFR.

Under SVFR, the plain PPL has to be 10000m+, unless he has an IR or IMCR in which case he has to be 3000m+. I don't know if the visibility is that observed by the pilot (in which case it is obviously unenforceable except in the most gross breach, like OVC002) or if they are as issued by ATC (in which case ATC should not issue an SVFR clearance if the met vis is below 3000m; ATC usually assume the pilot has the max privileges).

SVFR clearances are available to everyone, and are regularly used by ATPLs and IR holders who cannot or don't want to comply with IFR (e.g. if the aircraft isn't equipped for IFR). Thus ATC should issue SVFR clearances, where appropriate, in visibilities down to the SVFR minimum (usually 1500 m) without regard to any licence-priivilege legislation.

Dublinpilot - no PPL anywhere can fly sub VMC, under the ICAO definition of VMC of 1500m. I did say "VMC", not "VFR" :) I don't believe that CAA or JAA have redefined VMC; what I think they have done is they have defined VFR as 3000m or whatever. Very confusing.

No VMC is defined as "weather permitting flight in accordance with the Visual Flight Rules". The definition goes hand in hand with the minima for VFR flight, as nationally defined. ICAO does not define VMC as 1500 m, or any other specific value. There are circumstances in which a UK PPL without IMCR/IR can fly in "sub VMC" conditions, as the licence-privilege limitation of 3000 m outside controlled airspace minimum vis differs from the VFR minimum, which can be 5000 m or higher. Such cases tend to be contrived, though.

The old CAA CPL (or the old CAA ATPL for that matter) gives you an honorary IMC Rating, which needs 1800m min vis for any VMC.

No, the UK CA CPL gives you the privileges of an IMC rating but does not impose the 1800 m minimum visibility for take-off and landing, nor the 3000 m minimum for SVFR.

IO540
18th Jan 2007, 18:37
Thank you for the corrections, bookworm. The trouble is (to borrow a phrase one tends to only use exactly once) you don't come here often enough :)

Flap40
18th Jan 2007, 19:27
Not mentioned above is the fact that Royal flights change class D zones to Class A for a peroid of time around their arrival/departure during which SVFR will apply.

Golf Alpha Whisky
19th Jan 2007, 07:48
Isn't it intresting when you go back and revise your flying theory, not with the sole purpose of passing exams, but as a pilot with some experience and revisit the issues as to how they do or might affect you how it throws a different perspective on things?

Thanks for all your input - a very convoluted topic but at least I am now clear how it may impact me in my circumstances and that was the prupose of the original thread so thanks to all for an interesting "debate".

PompeyPaul
19th Jan 2007, 11:59
And just to clarify matters regarding the night rating, if you dont have a night rating, you can't excersise the priviledges of your plain vanilla ppl at night either with or without pax.
I was under that impression, but with NR then all is good. This thread suggests, no it's not all good, you still need to request SVFR ?

Chilli Monster
19th Jan 2007, 12:26
I was under that impression, but with NR then all is good. This thread suggests, no it's not all good, you still need to request SVFR ?

NO - the two are mutually exclusive.

Don't confuse Licence / Rating limitations with Flight Rules.

Slopey
19th Jan 2007, 14:29
A quick query as to Night flying from reading the above to and fros...

I hold a Night Rating on my PPL(A), and I was up flying in the late after noon a week or so ago, but landed back before the start of official night. On my rejoin back in to Aberdeen, ATC advised me that I was still VFR.

Presumably, once official night kicks in, I'm now IFR in Class D (the Aberdeen zone)?

If that's the case - should I be up there? LASORs page 56 2.d:

He shall not -

as pilot in command of such an aeroplane at night unless his licence includes a night rating (aeroplanes) or a night qualification (aeroplanes);

Ok - no problem there - I've got the night rating.... but....2.f:

unless his licence includes an instrument rating (aeroplane) or an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes), fly as pilot in command or co-pilot of such an aeroplane flying in Class D or E airspace in circumstances that require compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules;

Eeek - so if it's now dark, and I'm in Class D, in IFR - Night rating or not, unless I have an IR or IMC - I am in the doo doo?

Or would it be the case that at night in Class D - I should request SVFR?

Or am I getting needlessly confused?

Chilli Monster
19th Jan 2007, 15:43
Or would it be the case that at night in Class D - I should request SVFR?

Yes - though if you departed VFR (during the day) the chances are ATC wil. give you a SVFR clearance anyway. Returning via a VRP on a standard, notified, day VFR type rejoin tends to make us do that too.

Slopey
19th Jan 2007, 16:24
Ok, so then if I depart after official night - when I book out I should be asking for an SVFR clearance also, or would it be IFR? And as I'll be under IFR I'd have to request engine start as I'm in Class D?
Hmm, time to dig out the instructor's phone number!

dublinpilot
19th Jan 2007, 16:37
Slopey,

You have already answered your own question when you quote :

unless his licence includes an instrument rating (aeroplane) or an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes), fly as pilot in command or co-pilot of such an aeroplane flying in Class D or E airspace in circumstances that require compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules;

unless you have an IMC or IR, then you cannot fly IFR in class D airspace. You can not request an IFR clearance because you can't accept it!

You can't fly VFR at night, so what are you left with? All you're left with is either don't fly, or request a Special VFR clearance.

As for the startup request, I've never heard an official view on it....seems to be down to local procedures as far as I can see. If at an ATC airport where I'm not familiar with local procedures in this regard, and there's no note about it in the AIP entry, I would request startup.

dp

EvilKitty
19th Jan 2007, 16:43
Ok, so then if I depart after official night - when I book out I should be asking for an SVFR clearance also, or would it be IFR? And as I'll be under IFR I'd have to request engine start as I'm in Class D?
Hmm, time to dig out the instructor's phone number!

Nope, you're under SVFR. Unless you want to be under IFR in which case you need an IMCR or IR and you are then no longer need SVFR just because its dark.

To all intents and purposes, inside of controlled airspace you are SVFR in IMC, and outside controlled airspace you are VFR in IMC, where IMC means its dark. As a non IMCR/IR PPL you are held to the VMC minima as modified by your licence at all times (which is why you can't have SVFR in cloud). Of course the CAA go and complicate things by saying you cannot be VFR at night since you can't actually see anything (due to it being dark), hence you're IFR. Except that its not IFR because be IFR you need a IMCR/IR. Hence the night qualification and all the confusion that abounds at this time of year...

At least thats my take on it :p

chevvron
19th Jan 2007, 16:50
TDM re your question in 29: All UK airspace from FL195 to FL245 becomes class C wef 15 Mar; that includes airspace presently classed A, D, F & G. it would seem logical to change the Heathrow & City Zones at the same time; nah maybe it's too logical.
NB There'll be TRA's in it for the military to use, TRA now being 'Temporary Reserved Area' not 'Temporary Restricted Airspace'.

Slopey
19th Jan 2007, 17:56
Thanks all for the above - makes sense now :)

EvilKitty
19th Jan 2007, 19:44
Wohoo!

Now, can you explain it to the rest of us?:}

Slopey
19th Jan 2007, 20:06
Errrrm - I'll have a bash for the sake of completeness....

If Im flying at night in Class D, I'm in IMC cos it's dark, but as I can't fly under IFR in IMC, I need to fly under SVFR :)

Simple :ugh:

Unless I've got that wrong in which case I'm back to square one!

Hooligan Bill
19th Jan 2007, 20:54
The crazy thing, at least in the UK, is that a plain PPL can fly VFR in most class D airspace with a flight vis of at least 5km. But for SVFR in the same airspace a minimum vis of 10km is required:hmm: .

But a plain PPL can fly SVFR in Control Zone, if the route or ATZ has been notified for the purposes of Schedule 8. Most Class D Control Zones in the UK will have published Special VFR rotes or lanes that allow flight by a basic PPL down to a vis of 3km, which is the legal limit outside controlled airspace.

Chilli Monster
19th Jan 2007, 21:01
I'm in IMC cos it's dark, ................Unless I've got that wrong in which case I'm back to square one!

Stop thinking of dark as being IMC and you'll stop getting your bits in a twist ;)

I went flying the other night. 25km vis, cloud FEW 4000ft. Was I IMC?

NO!

I was VMC at night.The weather minima for VMC don't change because the sun goes down.

Slopey
19th Jan 2007, 21:37
Ahhhh ok.

I was getting confused thinking that after dark VMC would not apply, but obviously as long as the conditions are met, it's VMC Night rather than IFR. I was just wondering as I was specifically told by ATC that I was still VFR and was wondering what they'd say 15 mins later after official night.

:)

Chilli Monster
19th Jan 2007, 21:53
Slopey - just to clarify

VMC & IMC - flight CONDITIONS

VFR, IFR & SVFR - flight RULES

For non IR/IMC holders with a Night rating or Qualification:

At night, you must fly in accordance with the instrument flight RULES, (If you don't know them - go read them - Rules 29 to 31 of the Rules of the Air portion of the ANO) but should fly maintaining Visual Meteorological CONDITIONS (as per your licence privileges) if you are outside Controlled Airspace.

If you wish to enter, or leave, a Control Zone, you must have a valid IR/IMC rating to fly in accordance with IFR. As you haven't got that, you enter, or leave, flying in accordance with a SVFR clearance which will still require you to remain, effectively, in Visual Meteorological Conditions, following the terms of the clearance as issued.

Slopey
19th Jan 2007, 22:02
Yeah - got it, SVFR required in Class D as I don't have a IMC/IR. Phew!

Toadpool
20th Jan 2007, 10:45
But a plain PPL can fly SVFR in Control Zone, if the route or ATZ has been notified for the purposes of Schedule 8. Most Class D Control Zones in the UK will have published Special VFR rotes or lanes that allow flight by a basic PPL down to a vis of 3km, which is the legal limit outside controlled airspace.
Agreed.
However, in the UK there are 31 Class D CTRs (UK AIP ENR 1-4-5). 11 are notified for schedule 8, 20 are not.

RAC/OPS
20th Jan 2007, 11:09
Agreed.
However, in the UK there are 31 Class D CTRs (UK AIP ENR 1-4-5). 11 are notified for schedule 8, 20 are not.

28 CTR's actually - Solent and Strangford are CTA's and so is the Scottish TMA for all intents and purposes.

SPINATO
20th Jan 2007, 21:59
To butt in, anyone care to briefly explain the difference between a night qualification and a night rating? Cheers.

SPIN

Chilli Monster
20th Jan 2007, 22:11
Night Rating - Pre JAR, applicable to UK PPL's and BCPL's

Night Qualification - Post JAR, applicable to UK PPL's and JAA PPL's