PDA

View Full Version : Importing N Reg R44 Raven

Baldegret
17th Jan 2007, 18:50
I have lived in the USA for the last 5 years and own a R44 Raven (not a II) over there. I have now moved back to the UK. About 6 months ago I got some great advice on this forum when I was considering flying it back to the UK but I decided in the end for a whole variety of reasons not to do that. I am now looking at shipping it back, but before I go too far I wonder if the collective experience of the rotorheads readership could offer some advice on a few matters:

1. If I decide to sell it once it is back here, is there much demand for low hours (2000 vintage, 630 hrs) Ravens?

2. Is it worth transferring it to the UK register or should I leave it on the N register? I only intend to use it for private flying here and possibly in Europe.

3. Because of the FAA's archaic rules (they might have to requisition and use civil aircraft in time of war apparently....!) it is impossible for an 'alien' like me to directly own an aircraft in the States. So I bought and have owned it under a standard trust structure where a US corporation owns the helicopter and I have all the beneficial interest in it. While it has been owned and used solely for my own pleasure, does anyone know how HMC&E view this? There is a VAT exemption on personal property being brought back into the UK in situations like mine but might they try and avoid that exemption because I am only the beneficial and not the legal owner? I haven't tried asking them yet - thought I would see if anyone has been in a similar position here first.

4. Finally (apologies for the list), any advice on shipping agents and likely cost? I know this has been discussed fairly recently but any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

I may be a little slow in responding to your posts because I'm travelling quite extensively over the next few days but I will get back to you when I can. Many thanks in advance for all your help.

BE

AB139engineer
22nd Jan 2007, 23:41
I have lived in the USA for the last 5 years and own a R44 Raven (not a II) over there. I have now moved back to the UK. About 6 months ago I got some great advice on this forum when I was considering flying it back to the UK but I decided in the end for a whole variety of reasons not to do that. I am now looking at shipping it back, but before I go too far I wonder if the collective experience of the rotorheads readership could offer some advice on a few matters:

1. If I decide to sell it once it is back here, is there much demand for low hours (2000 vintage, 630 hrs) Ravens?

2. Is it worth transferring it to the UK register or should I leave it on the N register? I only intend to use it for private flying here and possibly in Europe.

3. Because of the FAA's archaic rules (they might have to requisition and use civil aircraft in time of war apparently....!) it is impossible for an 'alien' like me to directly own an aircraft in the States. So I bought and have owned it under a standard trust structure where a US corporation owns the helicopter and I have all the beneficial interest in it. While it has been owned and used solely for my own pleasure, does anyone know how HMC&E view this? There is a VAT exemption on personal property being brought back into the UK in situations like mine but might they try and avoid that exemption because I am only the beneficial and not the legal owner? I haven't tried asking them yet - thought I would see if anyone has been in a similar position here first.

4. Finally (apologies for the list), any advice on shipping agents and likely cost? I know this has been discussed fairly recently but any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

I may be a little slow in responding to your posts because I'm travelling quite extensively over the next few days but I will get back to you when I can. Many thanks in advance for all your help.

BE

Refering to item 4 Check out the yellow pages for shipping agents, I recently received a shipment from Europe in a 40 foot container and the cost was less than 4,000 canadian dollars to Vancouver from Orly. Be aware any amount of wood used to secure the aircraft must show proof of fumigiation or the customs agents in the receiving country will do it for you at your cost (about $1,000 here in Canada). Do not forget to defuel the fuel system and disconnect the battery. A good shiping agent will know what the requirements are required for the country it is destined to.

scooter boy
23rd Jan 2007, 20:31
There is a big demand for used R44s in the UK and europe -(HELIDATA is full of them). Sounds like you are planning to hang on to yours though.

You are allowed to claim back the VAT on import even if the A/C is officially owned by a trust. You pay the VAT first the reclaim it - the A/C must be owned by a VAT registered company though and leased back to you. HMC+E had no problem with that in my case. They will expect VAT to be paid per hour of usage though and you (or your accountant) will have to be creative here.

I have 2 A/C one N-reg, one G-reg, both operated through a VAT registered parent company. The N-reg one is trust owned through Southern A/C consultancy - v good people by the way.

If the aircraft has been in your ownership for sometime then there may not be the need to pay the VAT - I am unsure of this point.

A container sounds the best option - lots of grey water to cross between Gander and Shannon - esp this time of year.

There are people who operate N-reg R44s in the UK - you just need to find an A+P to do the work and sign it off.

I am sure you will save a lot by importing directly - the rest of us pay through the nose for importing through a dealer and the subsequent reassembly and CAA testing.

Good luck to you,

SB

Sam Rutherford
11th Jan 2008, 07:49
one year later...

If you have not yet done anything, the Danish route appears to be the way to go - see private flying, 'importing an american a/c' or pm me!

Sam.

md 600 driver
11th Jan 2008, 08:59
sam
i belive the danish route is now finished [or very near now]

steve

206 jock
11th Jan 2008, 14:34
Danish route was due to finish at the beginning of January, now put back to beginning of April, so the door is still open.

Lucky, as my shiny 'new' 206 is approaching Bremerhaven as we speak......

ifonly
11th Jan 2008, 16:01
You should be able to import it under a change of residence without paying any taxes. Para 5.1 of HMRC's Public Notice no.3 http://tiny.cc/xVuSR covers that and says "Generally speaking, "possession" means "to have" rather than "to own", so would cover your beneficial ownership question. The only stipulation is that you wouldn't be able to sell it for 12 months.

Shouldn't need to worry about the Danish route.