PDA

View Full Version : RNP in MNPS airspace

che ci dō che ci dō!
17th Jan 2007, 15:42
Hi everybody,

can anyone tell me which is the RNP capability required to operate in North Atlantic MNPS airspace? is it RNP-10? Does this mean that to operate in North Atlantic one has to fulfill both the navigation accurancy requirements for MNPS and RNP which are, as far as I know, different?

FE Hoppy
17th Jan 2007, 17:23
As far as I understand MNPS would equal RNP12.6. However MNPS regulations are not based on the RNP concept and 2 LRNS is the nav requirement. RNP 12 can be acheived with only 1 LRNS in remote areas or with none where short range ground based nav aids (VOR DME) are available.

EDITED to correct 12 to 12.6.

This from NAT 001 :-

The MNPS Concept
1.3.1 In the NAT Region, the requirement for a given standard of navigation performance has long been recognised. It was because of such a requirement that the concept of a MNPS was introduced in 1976, to allow for a reduction in track spacing from 120 to 60 NM. In effect, MNPS was the forerunner to RNP, though unlike RNP it not only specifies the position accuracy that an aircraft is required to achieve, but it also takes into account the availability and reliability of navigational information by setting out a requirement for the carriage of specific navigational equipment. (MNPS Airspace as it has been established in the NAT Region would, if RNP were to be applied, be designated RNP 12.6).

Jolly1
17th Jan 2007, 17:38
There are several Advisory Circulars that cover the subject as well as articles available online. Try these:

http://www.aviationmanuals.com/articles/article3.html

Section 8.1.2 of

http://www.nat-pco.org/nat/MNPSA/MNPSA_2005.pdf

Hi everybody,

can anyone tell me which is the RNP capability required to operate in North Atlantic MNPS airspace? is it RNP-10? Does this mean that to operate in North Atlantic one has to fulfill both the navigation accurancy requirements for MNPS and RNP which are, as far as I know, different?

topper28
17th Jan 2007, 17:59
From the North Atlantic MNPS Operations Manual:

"The NAT MNPS inter alia defines a requirement for the standard deviation of lateral track errors to be less than 6.3nm. This effectively equates to an RNP value of 12.6nm - or two standards deviation"

Nice to know
"Gross Navigation Errors are to be avoided...a GNE in the NAT Airspace is defined as a deviation from the cleared track of 25mn or more"

For more detailed info on the RNP and MNPS (NA Manual says) see the following ICAO Documents:
DOC 9613 - "Manual on Required Navigation Performance"
NAT Doc 001 "Consolidated Guidance and Information Material concerning Air Navigation in the North Atlantic Region"

Ciao!