PDA

View Full Version : Password protecting Windows Directories ?

Beagle-eye
17th Jan 2007, 10:12
I’m running Windows XP on a networked computer. I have an option to upload the “My Documents” area of my local disk (C:) to a server drive for backup.
Problem is …. Once the data is on the server it will then be viewable to other users and there is information that I would like to keep hidden (personnel details, addresses, salaries etc.).
I know that I can password protect individual files but, is there any way that I can password protect a whole Directory ?
Thanks in advance B-E

slim_slag
17th Jan 2007, 10:39
Put everything in a zip file and encrypt them. Uses less space too, and you can easily control what gets backed up. Include the date in the file name as that is sometimes useful.

matelot
17th Jan 2007, 11:02
Your system administrator should be able to create you an individual directory with restricted permissions. But a lot will depend on the SA's permissions, and what other domains are involved.

Beagle-eye
17th Jan 2007, 15:27
Thanks guys. I've zipped it as suggested and, not only do I have a mechanism for protecting it, but I also used less space on the server. :ok:

Mac the Knife
17th Jan 2007, 18:05
If you're using zipped files make sure that you're using the 128 or 256-bit AES encryption available in the later versions of WinZip (or other encrypting zip utilities, there are several free out there).

The ordinary traditional WinZip 2.0 encryption is NOT strong and there are dozens of utilities (many of them free) out there that can break it without raising a sweat. It's only there to keep out casual snoopers.

Saab Dastard
17th Jan 2007, 20:23
And do remember the password... :uhoh:

SD