PDA

View Full Version : G-BDOG/Bullfinch

hobbit1983
16th Jan 2007, 10:15
I found this on a page about the SA Bulldog, and was wondering if anyone out there could shed some light;

From the Bulldog 120 a four-seat sports and touring aircraft was developed, intended for the civil market, known as the Bullfinch. The prototype (G-BDOG c/n BH200-381) was flown for the first time by chief test pilot John Blair on August 20, 1976. The military version, the Bulldog Series 200, was intended to complement the fixed-gear Bulldog 120. Within a month after the maiden flight the first sale of a single aircraft was announced, but the company was not successful in finding further customers, either civil or military. In 1977 Scottish Aviation was taken up in British Aerospace and the Bullfinch was subsequently cancelled.

Compared to the Bulldog Series 120 the Bullfinch was 1 ft 8 in (50.8 cm) longer, had a 9.3 in (24.6 cm) wider span, and a retractable landing gear. The enlarged and redesigned cabin provided a full four-seat accommodation and was fitted with dual controls. The aircraft had full-aerobatic capabilities and was offered for the military roles with the same underwing hard-points of the Bulldog Series 120.

As I understand it, G-BDOG is still flying, and I’ve managed to find some photos of it. However, it looks as though it may have had it’s retractable gear (visible in earlier photos) replaced with a fixed set?

Interesting to note that Grob seem to have followed this path with their training aircraft series; it's a pity IMHO that this aircraft never made it that far.

Searches on “G-BDOG” & "Bullfinch" came up only passing references; anyone out there know anything more?

Thanks

waldopepper42
16th Jan 2007, 10:54
Hobbit,
G-BDOG is indeed alive and well and living at Netherthorpe airfield.
The undercarriage is still retractable, though the current owner did some years ago replace it with a new retraction mechanism. In addition the canopy has been re-designed with gull wing style doors and the rear seats have been removed.
I was lucky enough some years ago to fly in the aeroplane and thoroughly enjoyed the experience!

p.s. the current owner insists that it is a retractable BullDOG, not a Bullfinch....:eek:

gasax
16th Jan 2007, 13:56
I seem to remember Beagle's 'cunning plan' was that Bullfinches would be built for the private market to mop up spare factory capacity from building Bulldogs. The private owners were supposed to order and then wait some undisclosed period until it was convienent for Beagle to build one....

It has to be said most of what Beagle did was pretty daft, the end result of years of 'cost plus' work for the military and then an intention to produce British Executive aircraft. Somewhat like designing the Pup/Bulldog to be composite and have lovely curves and then building it in alloy.

As for the Terrier and Airedale stories, you do have to wonder what they were drinking in the boardroom.

But nice aeroplane - inevitably doomed to be a 'one off'.

hobbit1983
16th Jan 2007, 14:31
Thanks for the replies everyone; overall I think it’s a pity there’s not more of these around, they do look very nice with the 4 seats/aeros capability (would certainly prefer flying one of those to a PA-28/C-172 personally!). Although it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to do aeros in it with all 4 seats occupied, I guess.

Guess I shall just have to wait until I win the lottery & the G140 comes out!

ShyTorque
16th Jan 2007, 21:59
The photo is out of date, it hasn't been in those colours for some time.

I understand that the retractable gear was supposed to result in an increased cruise speed. It allegedly didn't, due to the extra weight involved.

I also believe that at least another example was built, but I'm not certain. Having flown the Bulldog for some time and seen this aircraft close up, it does look different; I would like to see it parked next to one for closer comparison.

Rallye Driver
16th Jan 2007, 22:37
This pic was taken at the Beagle Celebration on 11 June 2005 at Shoreham. This coming Easter Sunday is the 40th anniversary of the first flight of the Beagle Pup.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/YakRider/BullfinchLo.jpg
RD