PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield airport finally to close?

MichaelJP59
16th Jan 2007, 08:53
There is a thread in Airlines, Airports and routes, but thought would post here as well.

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=1973838

Seems that Sheffield airport has lost the battle to stay open and will be redeveloped as yet more business park type property, even though there is masses of that in the area that is still empty.

A real shame that a city the size of Sheffield can lose its GA facility, with no easily accessible alternative.

Does anyone know more details or the timescale for closure?

chevvron
16th Jan 2007, 08:56
Not just a shame it's bl...y disgusting, especially when as will inevitably happen, GA gets 'squeezed out' of DSA.
If Doncaster council had kept their own airport (near the racecourse) it would have made things a lot easier, and I bet one of the reasons they cited for closing it was the forthcoming development of Sheffield City, so as usual, the only winners will be the developers.
With Sheffield Utd being in the premiership, and many visiting teams now flying to away matches, surely City would be an asset to be proud of, not just another brownfield site to be developed on. (which is how it started).

UnkleAzazael
16th Jan 2007, 11:00
I've got some training there tomorrow so will see what the folks on the ground know. Watch this space...

skua
16th Jan 2007, 12:17
Put all this together with the air space grab at Doncaster Maid Marion, and it is quite clear that Peel Holdings are very GA hostile. Bodes ill for Barton as well....

Skua

cessna l plate
16th Jan 2007, 15:48
I have said it before, and I will say it again, not only Peel, but most (Note not ALL) big airfield owners are not interested in GA these days. We are a pain, only flying on good days, taking lots of resources to manage, and complaining when the landing fee goes over a fiver! Much better to get rid of them and develop. Either as a business or a site for building. This has to be a short sighted view, simply because where do these muppets think airline pilots come from. Although we have the colleges these days, there are still a lot of guys that are self funding and need GA to acheive the goal. First as a ppl student, and later as an instructor hours building.

If we drive GA out in this country then where will the airlines get the newbies from? But again, the ills of filthy commerce have taken over, to be fair this is a piece of prime development land that is currently used by a few, and not for the original intention that lay behind building it. From a commercial viewpoint it more then likely is costing a fortune. But do we need 1km of runway, all the lights all the hangars and so-on. Try cutting back a bit, most GA fields like Sandtoft and Caernarfon do very well. Why not EGSY?

Noah Zark.
16th Jan 2007, 16:45
I am ashamed to admit that I live in the city. The Council could have kicked Peel into shape if they wanted, but instead have adopted the usual head-in-a-bucket-of-coal attitude that them aiport thingies aren't for the likes of us.
Absolutely ashamed! A total set of :mad: :mad: :mad:

jarvis123
16th Jan 2007, 19:11
Hang on, wasn't the original plan to remove part of the runway for industrial development, and keep a section (c600m) for GA and helicopters? Or was that always just a red herring?
The other thread is here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258371)

helicopter-redeye
16th Jan 2007, 21:15
At the last airside safety meeting in December I asked the Airport Manager (Thomasson) about the issue of the airports commercial longevity and he stated that:-
1. The land at the 28 side of the tower is greenbelt and could not be developed (includes hangers/ ramp/ quite a bit of runway)
2. Land at the 10 end was brownfield and could be developed
3. "There will still be aviation at Sheffield City Airport"
h-r

niknak
16th Jan 2007, 23:08
Not just a shame it's bl...y disgusting, especially when as will inevitably happen, GA gets 'squeezed out' of DSA.
If Doncaster council had kept their own airport (near the racecourse) it would have made things a lot easier, and I bet one of the reasons they cited for closing it was the forthcoming development of Sheffield City, so as usual, the only winners will be the developers.
With Sheffield Utd being in the premiership, and many visiting teams now flying to away matches, surely City would be an asset to be proud of, not just another brownfield site to be developed on. (which is how it started).
The reason Donny Council shut Doncaster Airfield was to build a leisure centre on the land and to expand the racecourse facilities - both of which gave a far better return and more facilities to the ratepayers of Doncaster than a piddling little airfield of no consequence.
Doncaster Aero Club had ample opportunity to move to a number of sites, Sandoft being one of them, but flying club commitees being what they are, they couldnt agree which day of the week it was, never mind what was best for the members - consequently they closed down.
Many of you seem to not know or conveniently forget the origins of Sheffield City Airport - Budge Mining Developed it out of an enormous slag heap which was a consequence of an adjacent mining enterprise. Thereafter, through the work of Sheffield City Council, millions of £s in EEC grants were obtained to develop it.
Subsequently it was supported by the ratepayers of Sheffield and Yorkshire until Peel came along and offered to run it at their own expense for a fixed term period.
Everyone in in Sheffield and the local authority knew that this coincided with their investment and opening date of Robin Hood, thereafter Sheffield City Airport would return to the ownership of the Sheffield City Council.
Why should the tax/rate payers support an airport which has no prospect of ever giving them, or has been very well proven, never given any of the operators who have ever operated from there, a viable service or return?

helicopter-redeye
17th Jan 2007, 16:23
Here is the official word from Peel House 17.22hrs today (UTC)

On behalf of David Ryall, Airport Director.

The decision taken by Sheffield City Council to grant consent for the Blue Skies Planning Application will allow the Airport Company to consider the timing that the planning approval will be actioned. That decision has not been made, but when it is taken, it will be shared with all base operators/owners and as much prior notice as practicable will be given.

Remember Sir Humphrey? If you want to know you must ask the MInister ...

Hangar_9
17th Jan 2007, 21:14
whose the minister?
Saw him a week ago touring the airport doesnt look good i am afraid,

100LL
17th Jan 2007, 22:38
This has been on the cards since day 1. Has anybody ever tried making a go of sheffield or just using it as a backdoor to yet more trading estates or as they put it alternate use of the land.
See here

If, as expected, the operator could demonstrate in 2007 that the Airport was loss making, the Council was obliged under the Lease to allow the transfer of the freehold of land for £1 and the alternative use of the site, subject to planning approval.

The rest can be found Here (http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/council-meetings/full-council/4th-may-2005/minutes-4-may-2005) Minutes of a Meeting of the Council held on Wednesday 4th May 2005

UnkleAzazael
18th Jan 2007, 20:13
I've had a word with a couple of people based at Sheffield and as far as they know we're looking at about three years. Profitability and Politics aside, it is indeed a big shame. I've done most of my training there and will be genuinely sorry to see it go