PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on at Swansea???

baraka
15th Jan 2007, 22:25
Flew into swansea today. Notamed as unlicenced, no fire service, no radio, Cafe shut down, piles of rubbish everywhere, filthy toilets, no where to book in or out, the whole place had the air of the Marie Celeste. I,m sure there was tumbleweed rolling across the runways.
It was a bit of a shock to see the place so quiet and rundown cos last time i was there(admittedly this was about 4 years ago) there seemed to be a real buzz about the place what with the airline, busy apron and cafe and full ATC service etc..
Is it a seasonal thing or is something more ominous going on?
Anybody know??

niknak
15th Jan 2007, 22:56
When Air Wales stopped operating from there (2 years ago or so now), the local authority quickly pulled the plug on all funding and sold everything that wasn't nailed down.
For very obvious commercial reasons no one has been willing to invest in the place ever since.

I suspect that, having had it's chance to shine and failing miserably, it's doomed to rot away to nothing and become another housing development.
At least the taxpayers of the EEC won't have to continue to pay for another pointless subsidy.

Flying Lawyer
16th Jan 2007, 06:45
I suspect the chances of Swansea ever being a 'commercial' airport are virtually nil with such easy access by road to Cardiff, but it would be a shame if it closed.

There were lots of GA aircraft there when I visited last summer, the flying club was very active and the local area offers great flying..

Link (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=186226)

FL

tiggermoth
16th Jan 2007, 07:08
it's doomed to rot away to nothing and become another housing development.

It's not likely to become a housing development, it's too far from Swansea, and it's pretty bleak upthere.

A real shame, I went up in a light aircraft as a passenger for the first time at Swansea many many years ago.

Pianorak
16th Jan 2007, 08:23
. . . Notamed as unlicenced, no fire service, no radio, Cafe shut down, piles of rubbish everywhere, filthy toilets, no where to book in or out, the whole place had the air of the Marie Celeste. I,m sure there was tumbleweed rolling across the runways. . .
I visited Swansea for the first time last November and was very impressed. In fact I had hoped to visit again this month (free landing voucher!). But in view of the above is further support still wanted?

Mariner9
16th Jan 2007, 08:42
Dropped into Swansea together with three other a/c from Upfield farm on Sunday for Brekkie. Also annoyed to find the cafe closed, so we had a short onwards flight to Pembrey for an excellent breakfast :ok:

The cafe at Swansea was open last November when I last flew in, the chap in the tower had no idea why it was closed (or perhaps wouldn't tell me). Seems crazy to me, there was a very large group of parachuters there and at least 10 visiting a/c on the apron - what a wasted business opportunity :mad:

Mixed Up
16th Jan 2007, 09:03
Sunday was the first OK weatherday for sometime and many people turned up at Swansea for lunch, some armed with free landing vouchers and others having to pay the £12 landing fee, only to find the restaurant completly closed. There was not even a facility to have a coffee, just a cold drinks vending machine which, wasn't very appealing in January. Most quickly departed to Pembrey for lunch. It was rediculous state of affairs, as the airfield was generally very busy with arrivals and parachutists etc.

No explanation was offered but from the titbits I've picked up there and elsewhere, it appears to me that the owner (the owner of the now closed Air Wales) spontaneously closed the restaurant and (putting two and X together to get four) did so for health concerns. But I could be completely wrong!

It appears that they expect the restaurant to open again in the next couple of weeks.

LowNSlow
16th Jan 2007, 11:39
niknak Swansea Airport's charter prevents it from being anything other than an airport or common land as RAF Fairwood Common was requisitioned on this proviso. See http://www.airports-worldwide.com/uk/uk_swansea.html

I had no idea that the previous owners had invested so much money into the place. I hope it manages to get back on it's feet again as a GA airport. The beaches around Swansea are some of the best in Britain.

HuskyDog
5th Feb 2007, 18:53
Swansea currently Notamed as unlicensed Monday & Tuesday, but you can still fly in - with no landing charges. Not much activity, but not as bad as the post suggests. Fuel available.

Stall-Warner
8th Feb 2007, 12:06
Watch the AVGAS at Swansea - quite a lot of water found in samples by the Campaign Against Aviation a couple of years back.

May be different now of course.

niknak
9th Feb 2007, 22:24
Quote from Heli Red eye:
" Another airfield getting ng the Niknak special downer treatment"

It's a shame that you and your like cannot accept that any business has to be viable 365 days a year, not just the few good weather days which you choose to grace them with your presence.

Swansea tried, swallowed large amounts of rate payers and Euro cash, yet it has proved to be incapable of the investment of any commercial enterprise.

That is and will be the case with many airfields throughout the UK purely because the customers they may (or may not) have during the Summer, will not support them through the Autumn, Spring and Winter - if they do survive, it's down to subsidies from the people who own the airfields to keep refuelling and cafes open.

vee-tail-1
10th Feb 2007, 10:01
Be very carefull arriving at Swansea now. There is a sky diving club based there and two new drop zones on the airfield. Overhead joins are banned, as is flying on the dead side. Make your joins only from downwind, and get confirmation of circuit direction and parachuting status before arrival.
Be warned LOOK OUT :uhoh:

sportflyer
18th Feb 2007, 21:28
lots going on at Swansea Airport !
cafe open 5 days aweek closed mondays and teusdays !
airfield unlicenced mondays and tuesdays but available to land !
overhead joins allowed ! but not when para droping

Flying clubs very active ! so keep a good look out !!