PDA

View Full Version : The Weakest Link 15/01/2007

mustflywillfly
15th Jan 2007, 18:07
Evening all,

An RAF Officer known as "Simon" (I know his surname) has just won the Weakest Link this evening. Do of any of you bods know if said officer has PPrune Membership??

He was a C17 pilot and is now a Wing Commander (good going as he must only be 36ish) I think he may have been known as "Spoons" at some point.

I was best mates with his younger brother at School and before he joined the RAF at 18 he persuaded me to join Air Cadets and apply for an RAF Flying Scholarship.

All a bit odd I know but I wanted to congratulate him on winning a huge £2200 :} (that should be pay for ATPL groundschool) but more importantly I never managed to thank him for his encouragement and advice on OASC (I got the Scholarship).

VMT

MFWF

brit bus driver
15th Jan 2007, 19:01
Good to see that town's keeping him so very busy.....:}

Nice work fella!:ok:

And did he banter back to Annie?:eek:

And I love the way you tried to maintain his anonimity btw....there are so many ex-C-17 wg cdrs kicking around (3? maybe 4?), especially called Simon with a nickname of (and I believe it used to start with Mister) Spoons! Cunning as a cunning thing!:p

mustflywillfly
15th Jan 2007, 19:05
He didn't take any crap!! Anne challenged him that he must be a rubbish pilot if he is now flying a desk. He agreed of course!!

Don't suppose you know if he has a PPrune handle? I would like to contact the dude but am far too tight to go via Friends Re-united!!!

Always_broken_in_wilts
15th Jan 2007, 19:06
Please tell that this Simon, sometimes known as "spoons" is not the same Simon I knew as "Mr Spoons" from my Puma days.........a Wg Cdr:eek:

Floppy Link
15th Jan 2007, 19:08
Jeez that was my first though too..

Simon "Puma" Mr Spoons

also known as Crocodile Dundalk :E

brit bus driver
15th Jan 2007, 19:08
mustfly...you have mail

FFP
15th Jan 2007, 19:10
ABIW,

Prob not. Hercs, Tucano, C-17.

Always_broken_in_wilts
15th Jan 2007, 19:19
Thank god for that, I am still suffering for my exploits with the "Bitburg 7" and if spoons had made Wg Cdr I may have had to turn to drink:}

Always_broken_in_wilts
15th Jan 2007, 19:23
Ratboy

New years res no booze sunday to thursday so bone dry this end:{

Always_broken_in_wilts
15th Jan 2007, 19:52
Ratboy,

I think even RAF Plod come have to that conclusion:rolleyes:

Grimweasel
15th Jan 2007, 20:21
Well, fairplay to him. He got further than I did, booted off 4th person after a crap question about a Beatle's album being named after a London road. God if I knew, what with only being born in 1974.... Still, it's the taking part that counts.
Look out for potenital rock offr on Deal no Deal about March time....(not me!)

jayteeto
16th Jan 2007, 07:05
I won over 2 grand on weakest link last year, the money was spent the night before in London though!! What a hangover, combined with 4 hours under the studio lights, I have to admit to a couple of technicolour yawns during the day. Add to that, you never actually get to meet Anne Robinson, she appears to asks the questions then leaves before you do......

BluntedAtBirth
16th Jan 2007, 08:56
You mean 'DJ' Spoons, last seen at BZZ dealing with a fg off complaining about a late disco in the bar? Top tip for JOs - best to check the DJ hasn't just been made substantive wg cdr and is playing the stn cdr's requests... :)

moggiee
16th Jan 2007, 12:06
Add to that, you never actually get to meet Anne Robinson
Bonus!!!! (extra !s added to appease the minimum message length police)

FormerFlake
16th Jan 2007, 12:14
My former Flight Commander has won the Weakest Link? I'm suprised he has enough time to do it if he is still on 99 Sqn. Must keep an eye out for a repeat on BBC Prime.

MrBernoulli
16th Jan 2007, 13:06
'Won' the weakest link, not 'one' ............

Zoom
16th Jan 2007, 14:06
Anne asked him about his rank and how many stripes he had. He replied that they were called bars, not stripes. Is that the case nowadays? I'm sure we used to call them stripes...or was it tapes? I had so many of the b*st*rds that I've forgotten.

Tiger_mate
16th Jan 2007, 18:57
Flt Lt Spoons is still Flt Lt Spoons, so not the same chap. Recently married and already making babies, so no time for any TV appearances.

Discussion in crewroom just last night: On our cups we should have a nickname made up from the first two letters of your christian name and added to the first two of your surname (conversion started when 3 Sqn used to use first 3 surname in reverse, and Mr Gowers cup was used to present a brew to the first 'dark skinned' Harrier mate, How many stars does he have nowadays) I digress, those in the know can work out what Spoons' cup would have written on it!!

Lafyar Cokov
16th Jan 2007, 20:03
"MRSP"?????

Stuff
16th Jan 2007, 20:11
Is this the same "Spoons" who used to entertain at children's parties?

If it is, top bloke, and well done on the win.

brit bus driver
16th Jan 2007, 20:43
"SIED"?:confused:

stickmonkeytamer
16th Jan 2007, 20:55
Excellent chap-I keep bumping into him, every time he is a rank higher. I've jumped 7, so I am beating him for the moment... :ok: At least he can give up the disco DJ stuff now (except for keeping the troops happy on those long trips East!)...

SMT

TheHogwartsBEngO
17th Jan 2007, 10:19
The C-17 driver I knew as Spoons did a brilliant (scene-stealing) performance of 'Capt Alberto Bertorelli' in a RAF Theatre club production of 'Allo Allo' I was once in*. Apparently he had never watched the original BBC version either.

And I'm still waiting for the Beeb to call me to face 'the queen of mean' (I passed audition in July). :(

*I played a young German Officer who was known to drive a little tank. :uhoh:

GasFitter
17th Jan 2007, 10:33
Is there no end to this man's talents? Am I right in thinking he's also a great balloon model maker?:D

FormerFlake
17th Jan 2007, 11:40
Is there no end to this man's talents? Am I right in thinking he's also a great balloon model maker?:D

Yes.

He is also good at getting hold of beer as if by magic, an important skill for anybody.

TheHogwartsBEngO
17th Jan 2007, 11:50

I seem to remember at the after-show party he took several bottles of water and somehow he managed to turn them into a very fine wine.

...or was it the other way around?... :E

H Peacock
18th Jan 2007, 11:50
I enjoyed watching Spoons on The weakest link; thought he'd blown it but saved the day on the tie-breaker. (Did I see him blow a simple bit of MDR?)

Anyway, he ran a disco on one of his previous tours. Think it was made by Tandy 'cos it sounded terrible. However, he used to play his records between the sets that a band I used to play in did. Coincidently our lead singer from said band also won the Weakest Link (gave most of the prize money to charity - what a smashing bloke!). He is also in the trucking world and a QFI.

Finally, the other Mr Spoons that flew the Puma (not the Herc, Tucano, C17 Spoons) was on the same Sqn as Jayteeto who also won the weakest link.

That is 3 RAF pilots all winning the Weakest Link, non of them fast-jet! No pressure for the next volunteer.

:)

Always_broken_in_wilts
18th Jan 2007, 15:59
Not sure you would get a fast jet mate on that show as the idea of being in the same room as a women and knowing in advance there was no way she was going to fawn all over you would be to much for the ego to take:p

Ops and Mops
18th Jan 2007, 16:37
If Flt Lt Spoons is lurking on this thread, can he PM me please? I have news!