PDA

View Full Version : Dornier 27

QDMQDMQDM
15th Jan 2007, 10:13
Interested to hear any thoughts / experiences of these.
Looks like a superb, well-handling STOL load carrier, albeit slow.

microlight AV8R
15th Jan 2007, 12:09
Not absolutely sure about this but I think the parachute folks at Sibson may be operating one.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
15th Jan 2007, 13:39
Frikkin noisy! I flew one once that had spent the weekend at my local airfield en route somewhere and it was so memorable that I cant remember anything either good or bad about it. Apart from the din from the geared engine..

A bloke in Norfolk had one in bits at a strip i visited once, but not sure if it ever flew..

I think the aircraft at Sibson would most probably be a Pilatus Turbo Porter:ok:

AC-DC
15th Jan 2007, 16:10
What an aircraft!!!!!!!!!
Very very STOL, if you can shut the door you can take off, slow but great great fun. The vis. outside is A+++ and you can see the wheels from the front seat without bending too much. When I dream about flying I dream about this aircraft. However, like anything the aircraft has some draw backs.
The first is the engine. It is a Lyco. 6 cyl. GO-480 (or maybe GO-470, not sure) and like many geared engine you should not let the prop drive the engine unless you want to kill it, the TBO is 1400h or 1600h, again am not sure. The second is the prop. must be o/h every 5 years or so, the last one is the range which is not great as it has only 200ltr. fuel capacity.

'Chuffer' Dandridge:
To call this aircraft Frikkin noisy just shows that that you have seen something else. This aircraft are geared in order to reduce prop. rpm, you might have noticed that the prop is very long and in any case you can't call it noise! it is music. :ugh: :=

For more info about this great aircraft have a look at www.do27.com

smarthawke
15th Jan 2007, 18:12
The Peterborough Parachute Centre at Sibson haven't used Porters for probably 20 years. Since then they used a Skyvan and in recent memory leased in a Ukranian Let 410 for many years.

The Dornier seen there recently (not sure if it's there at the moment) is a Do28 Skyservant fitted with turbine engines in place of the normal piston motors. I think this was Hungarian registered and also operated out of Hibaldstow on para dropping.

I saw a Do27 at Belfast (Alsergrove) in the Woodgate hangar last year. On the UK reg but hadn't flown (if ever) in UK airspace so registered. Very interesting full length leading edge slot etc wing.

QDMQDMQDM
15th Jan 2007, 19:54
Looks like an aircraft with a geared lycoming does not make the best group-operated aircraft:

http://www.pilatusp-3.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=13&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Bang goes that idea! Thoughts?

AC-DC
15th Jan 2007, 21:29
Looks like an aircraft with a geared lycoming does not make the best group-operated aircraft:
http://www.pilatusp-3.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=13&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Bang goes that idea! Thoughts?

If you know what you do it is a great aircraft, if not...the bank will not like you (so will your wife):)

'Chuffer' Dandridge
16th Jan 2007, 12:53
To call this aircraft Frikkin noisy just shows that that you have seen something else.
Seen it? I was sitting in it and it was STILL noisy!! Must have been outstandingly noisy to the spectators..:{

A mate had a Helio Courier which also had a geared engine (probably the same type of engine as the Do27). That was also frikking noisy as well! maybe I've just got sensitive hearing??:=