PDA

View Full Version : UK pilot shortage???

nicsazz
15th Jan 2007, 00:49
1200+ hour pilot (R22,R44,H269,H369 & AS350) contemplating returning to UK (currently hold New Zealand CPL-H) and wondering if there are any reasonable jobs available worth the hassle of relocation and all the exams & flight test requirements. Any comments/advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks gents.

jeepys
15th Jan 2007, 07:57
It is a good time to return to the U.K now but by the time all the exams etc are done things may have changed. You will need an I.R. though if you want a decent job over here.

Letsby Avenue
15th Jan 2007, 17:26
Quite right.. If you want to give over half of what you earn to Social Services, Scotland or Romania then the MP for Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath will welcome you with open arms :}

Bladecrack
15th Jan 2007, 18:00
Nic,
They are all so negative! :sad:
Things are improving here I think, if you get a JAR instructor rating you should get work no problem at a flying school, to go corporate/commercial ideally you need at least 1500 hrs with a decent amount of turbine, an IR will move you up the list quite a bit, sore on the pocket I know. :rolleyes:
Good Luck.

jeepys
15th Jan 2007, 21:08
Wherever you fly there will always be negative and plus points. The original question was to do with flying and not the economy. The way of life in the U.K. has not changed in recent years so I am sure you know what its like. Not much different to when you left.
The negative flying points possibly come from people who have not made it to a position where they want to be -possibly.
Like any professional industry progression can take time and sacrifices like money but if you stick with it then the rewards can be good wherever you go.
As for training abroard and the attitudes you receive back here, well, they are evident amongst the odd person but if you can prove your'e not a complete halfwit then those people soon shut up. Many a time it's jealousy that goads them anyway.
You will make your decision which will be right for you but look at the bigger picture.

Vital Actions - how long were you in NZ for?

jeepys
15th Jan 2007, 21:37
What bit do you not agree with TFS?
I did say possibly and not definitely.

Brilliant Stuff
16th Jan 2007, 17:18
It boils down to what you want out of it.
Do you have a desire to move to the U.K.? yes/no
What type of flying do you want to do? Instructing/rigs/charter/utility
Do you need a serious salary? £20000 - £65000

Now once you know those answers you can apply for jobs.

I have got a dream job and I had to wait between 8months and 30years in order to get it.

nicsazz
18th Jan 2007, 19:07
Thanks gents for all the comments, it has given me plenty to think about.

The flying in NZ is enjoyable and I quite enjoy the lifestyle, however the pay is pretty poor. I average approximately 46 hours a week duty and have a dual role of base pilot & company quality manager (looking after 23 helicopters over 4 bases). I fly around 250 hours a year predominantly in the tourism/charter role (with the occasional line survey of filming job) and earn the equivalent of 33K sterling. I would like to secure a better paying job either in UK (as we have family in Plymouth & the North West) or possibly the middle east as I have previously spent 12 years in Saudi (as an engineer prior to becoming a pilot) and quite enjoyed it.

Anything you may wish to add with regards to expected remuneration and job availability for a mid-time pilot would be appreciated.

Thanks again for those comments already posted.

Whirlygig
18th Jan 2007, 19:15
You may be able to earn more in the UK but you also need to consider the cost of housing and living; your £33k in NZ might not seem so bad after all!?

Cheers

Whirls

Bravo73
18th Jan 2007, 19:51
£33k for 250hrs per annum is actually pretty good. :D

If you weren't Quality Manager, it would give you plenty of time to earn a second income...

jeepys
18th Jan 2007, 21:13
Expect about £35k for a new F.O. on the North Sea rising to about £55k for a 5 year SFO. Captains start at about £65k rising to £90k + for a long serving capt. In the corporate world salaries are on the up for say 76/155 rated pilots with some companies paying around the £75/80k but it's not easy work. Of course you will need an I.R. for all of this.
The rewards are there but you will probably have to dig deep to find them.
As a VFR pilot with your experience £33k back here would be pretty good.
Your decision.