PDA

View Full Version : XP Problem?

tony draper
14th Jan 2007, 11:29
Couple of times this week have had to do a hot reboot,not a operating system prob,tiz related to my graphic card, but when I got back in I found I had lost all my bookmarks cookies history ect,just had to do it again this time my bookmarks are ok but I have lost all my username/password cookies and history for various websites and had to request new username and password from them,this never used to happen with Win 98, hit the reset button and the machine rebooted just fine with no loss of data,is this a problem with XP in general or is it just me?
Tiz not a big problem just bloody inconvenient.
:confused:

frostbite
14th Jan 2007, 11:45
Don't know about the XP problem, but if you use Firefox, you have the opportunity to easily back up your bookmarks in another place.

tony draper
14th Jan 2007, 12:07
Thank you Mr F,yer will have to do that in future,trouble is with firefox there doesn't appear to be a folder with bookmarks anywhere as there is in Internet Explora,twas called favourites in win 98, as I said its not a big prob,just I can never remember pass bloody words I have just had to request one username and one password they were emailed to me but trouble is neither of the dammed things work.
:uhoh:

frostbite
14th Jan 2007, 12:16
I think Firefox uses the same folder as IE - simply pinches the contents for display.
As for passwords, I keep all mine in Passkeeper, from http://www.isys.hu/staff/brad (hope that still works!).
Mind you, you still need to remember the password to get into it.

Edited to say, sorry, the link doesn't work - try Googling Passkeeper - it must still be available somewhere.

tony draper
14th Jan 2007, 12:21
Yer,I usualy just tell the websites to remember me,trouble with websites with large memberships no matter how obscure a username/password you choose some buggah else has already claimed them.
:rolleyes:

Tisme
14th Jan 2007, 14:06
Thank you Mr F,yer will have to do that in future,trouble is with firefox there doesn't appear to be a folder with bookmarks anywhere as there is in Internet Explora,twas called favourites in win 98, as I said its not a big prob,just I can never remember pass bloody words I have just had to request one username and one password they were emailed to me but trouble is neither of the dammed things work.
:uhoh:

Firefox books marks are kept in the profile folder its a hidden folder so you will need to have your hidden folders showing.

Go to documents and settings
All users or the name of the user you are working under
Application Data
Mozilla
Firefox
Profiles
Default or the name of the folder showing
bookmark backups

In that last folder are copies of your Firefox favourites, which you can export back into Firefox using the bookmark manager.

frostbite
14th Jan 2007, 14:52
Just discovered - it's now got its own .com.

http://www.passkeeper.com