PDA

View Full Version : Helicopters used in Blood Diamond movie

starflex3
13th Jan 2007, 21:15
Does anybody know where the helicopters used in Blood Diamond came from (which company owns them, where the film was shot etc) there was a Mil Mi-8/17 and a Mil Mi 24/25 Hind which seemed to have some new equipment up front.
Thanks in advance

discobeast
9th Feb 2007, 08:39
it is owned by a south african company. I can find the details for you in a few days as i am away from home at the moment. the company stripped the machines' armour by 2000kg's as i understand. they also used the nose-mounted turret as well as rocked-pods that was initially designed for the Rooivalk. they did some other mods to it too but can't recall all of the detail.
some pic's of it here"
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3312&start=300
DB

starflex3
9th Feb 2007, 23:34
Thanks mate, They did do some nice mods to it, it looked great in the movie.
What is the company going to use it for?

nickg_44
26th Feb 2007, 07:52
World domination :)

starflex3
2nd Mar 2007, 00:35
Nice:):) :)

Bertus
18th Feb 2020, 10:21
Does anybody know where the helicopters used in Blood Diamond came from (which company owns them, where the film was shot etc) there was a Mil Mi-8/17 and a Mil Mi 24/25 Hind which seemed to have some new equipment up front.
Thanks in advance
Good day. The helicopter used in blood diamonds is Russian helicopters, the MI 24. They were in South Africa for a weapons and weapon software upgrade. The film directors hired them for making the film. They were done by a French company in S.A named A.T.E. (Advanced Electronics and Engineering.) The film was cast in Cape town S.A. The reason why I know this is because my late father was a quality engineer at that company. He once took me when they were testing a new designed laser aiming missile. AWESOME stuff...!!!!