PDA

View Full Version : Missing Squadrons...

spinstallaeropfl
13th Jan 2007, 18:08
A curious glance at the new RAF website.. www.raf.mod.uk.. has led me to believe that a few minor details are missing... no mention of (so far) 60, 78, 84 and 100 Sqns (90th this year BTW), plus a lot of other stuff that makes no sense... is RAF Leeming really still part of 11/18 Group..? Nice new site, shame about the detail...
SSAP

dum_my
13th Jan 2007, 18:17
And PPRuNe has its own link on the RAF homepage !?!

right chopper
13th Jan 2007, 18:22
Sure the Regt sqns won't be too chipper at their omission either.

27 Sqn isn't the OCF either....and hasn't been for years.

I would have thought a new web site would have been a great time to review all the information?

circle kay
13th Jan 2007, 18:48
The Sentry AEW1 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/sentry.cfm)
has 18 Aircrew
The Nimrod R1 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/nimrodr1.cfm) and MR2 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/nimrodmr2.cfm) have 0 Aircrew

:ugh:

ppf
13th Jan 2007, 20:17
Not to worry chaps about the inaccuracies, you are now able to check those really important aspects of dress regs! Perhaps CAS could take some time and peruse............:ok:

ppf

Razor61
13th Jan 2007, 20:39
They have got rid of a lot of information on each of the station pages... one noticeable one for me was the flying programme issued each week for Odiham which was very handy when you want to know where they are in the country each day for photography reasons.

Pontius Navigator
13th Jan 2007, 21:11
Yup, bang up to date. Still lists the Air Weapons Ranges that transferred to Defence Estates last year.:\

right chopper
14th Jan 2007, 08:37
See Mr Point's found a few more oversights in the Nimrod UAV thread....

PPRuNeUser0139
14th Jan 2007, 08:50
The breakdown of aircraft roles into Offensive, Defensive and Reconnaissance etc puzzles me too. Seems a bit old hat and doesn't IMHO reflect the realities of today. Air Defence of the UK is one of the key roles of the RAF blah blah..? Shurely shome mishtake..?
I await guidance.

NutherA2
14th Jan 2007, 09:29
A swift look at the MoD website suggests their level of literacy seems to reflect the nation-wide reduction in standards of education.

Having become bored with “Recconnaissance”, I tried “Squadrons” there to find that MoD apparently believes the Tornado GR4 to be the only type to qualify as a Fast Jet: -

“a fast jet squadron (i.e Tornado GR4)”

The MoD web masters would do well to use a word processing application which includes a spell checker so as to avoid the more obvious errors. If they really don’t know their exemplia gratia from their id est perhaps they should confine their activities to the English language in an effort to reduce the incidence of solecisms.

PPRuNeUser0139
14th Jan 2007, 10:39
Just went back for another look - on the Home page, against the Equipment heading, it points us towards "Today and Tommorrow"...
Ye gods..

speeddial
14th Jan 2007, 11:21
And I've never seen a Cpl in the RAF look like the young lady on the front page.......

6foottanker
14th Jan 2007, 12:19
Please, all of you, get out more!:8

Roland Pulfrew
14th Jan 2007, 15:58
Please, all of you, get out more!:8

Just got in from a day in the garden - is that OK? Had to have a quick look at the sight and during a cursory glance I noticed that the picture of the VC10 is the one that trialled the grey scheme with THE BL**DY STUPID BLUE cheat line. It only ever appeared on one aircraft, a long time ago, and it didn't last that long!! On the training aircraft page we apparently have a "Tutor Griffin". Is that a step up from the broomstick at Hogwarts?

BEagle
14th Jan 2007, 16:32
Yes, shame about the pansy blue vein paint scheme.

True to the blinkered Fast Jet-centric mentality, this is what it says under 'equipment':

Welcome to the technical information centre of the Royal Air Force. Here you will find details of all of the aircraft and weapons currently in use.

The RAF have recently introduced into operational service the world-class Typhoon. Alongside the aircraft come the next generation of air-to-air missiles, and a new range of air-to-ground precision guided weapons to give it even greater flexibility in terms of choice of weapon, delivery height and launch distance from target.

Further ahead, there will be a need to replace the Tornado and the Harrier, therefore, the RAF has become an active partner in the development of the new Joint Strike Fighter, which is due to enter service in 2012. The RAF is also considering future options which could include a mix of manned and unmanned aircraft.

No mention of the need to replace the RAF's ageing and overworked AT/AAR and RW assets. No mention anywhere of the A400M either....

Some very poor proof reading, incorrect captions and old library images. Not a very good site, it has to be said.

ZH875
14th Jan 2007, 16:52
Still, on the bright side, it does mention that one of the Typhoon Sqns is 3 Sqn at RAF Cottesmore, and All three front-line Jaguar squadrons (Nos 6 and 41).

Looks like the database of information is as accurate as the JPA database.

maxburner
14th Jan 2007, 16:53
BEagle - ''Some very poor proof reading, incorrect captions and old library images. Not a very good site, it has to be said.''

Did you expect anything else? The site was probably built by the lowest bidder and the result is utterly predictable. That's today's MoD all over.

wokawoka
14th Jan 2007, 16:57
How refreshing to see that there is a Sqn of RAF GR7 taking on a commitment on Op Herrick.
I just wonder what I was doing twice there last year flying my counter rotating banana :ugh: .....
I see that the website is to the image of our CAS' RAF, unless I missed something. BTW I am not taking anything away from the great job the Harriers are doing. It just shows that now we are in JHC we dont mean a lot to the RAF.

Yeller_Gait
14th Jan 2007, 17:34
Not sure if I should go into work tomorrow as it appears that my Sqn is not a part of the RAF anymore either.

Perhaps if the pages for Stns/Sqns were delegated out to individuals on units, rather than corporate comms or whoever is the current webmaster, then perhaps we might get something at least slightly more accurate.

Y_G

bad livin'
14th Jan 2007, 18:43
Beags/Maxburner - I spotted a dozen or more extremely basic spelling and grammatical errors on the RN's new site and was quick (perhaps too quick?) to email the site team to point them out. I got back a very gracious reply indicating that their site is indeed maintained by a contracted, non service player and not to blame them. A shame as the glaring errors (including the outstanding use of "inteligence") I noticed were largely present on the careers page...what a great first impression to give prospective yoof entrants.

Other than the Tutor Griffin (a mysterious prototype?) mentioned on the RAF's new site, I also noted that a lot of the aircraft links led to....nothing, actually. Come on folks, let's advertise and do it well.

Pontius Navigator
14th Jan 2007, 19:13
I see that there is a separate login only open to serving members starting in Feb 07. I wander what that is all about?

I imagine we shall have all revealled at the MCO symposium at a secret public facility near a police academy at the end of next month.

L J R
14th Jan 2007, 20:43
A secure log-on to JPA to do your admin while deployed, at home, down route - ???

If I can buy and sell international shares, do my banking, pay bills, check e-mail while on all of the above, why not check my pay, take leave, fill in claims etc......

Access to laptop etc may be a problem in some of the dustier locations, but if JPA can be done at home, or in a hotel/mess room, surely it will be a 'slight' improvement. Or am I being too ambitious with my view of MoD's ability to provide IT connectivity 24/7 for the 21st century.

h73kr
14th Jan 2007, 21:02
'Serving Members Only Available in February 2007'

Is nobody else concerned about this apparent glaring admission about the hole in our air defences.....

...Christ, you guys whinge about terms and conditions, yet you only have to turn up for work 1 month a year! I thought teachers had it good! :hmm:

is there a portal planned soon for 'Aggressors Only - If you want to start a fight, please come back in February'.

It's all a bit 'yoof' though, 'innit. The 'UK Air Force' indeed!

green granite
15th Jan 2007, 07:15
BEagle - ''Some very poor proof reading, incorrect captions and old library images. Not a very good site, it has to be said.''

Did you expect anything else? The site was probably built by the lowest bidder and the result is utterly predictable. That's today's MoD all over.

Probably why the provided the link to PPrune, it's so that people could come here to find out what is wrong with the site :hmm: