PDA

View Full Version : Paris Heli Routes

Tailboom
13th Jan 2007, 11:14
Hi Has any one got any good advice on flying the Paris Heliroutes. I want to fly from the North of Paris possible landing at the Issy Heliport and then on out to the South towards the direction of Melun Veloroche any usefull tips:)

Spiritrider
13th Jan 2007, 12:00
I presume you have a current 'Itineraires Helicopteres' for Paris 2 & 3( from Pooleys, it does have an english translation for the necessary route heights etc). Ensure that ALL your maps are current and that you have up-to-date printed met info for your route as you run a very real risk of being ramp-checked at Issy. Keep a close watch on the weather as, if it deterorates below Issy's limits at Paris Orly, even if Issy appears 'flyable' - they close the heliport!!!

Tailboom
13th Jan 2007, 16:56
Thanks very much for that advice I do have the Itineraires CTR 2 et 3 I was looking to enter the lanes at Andresy and follow the river down maybe to Issy what I'm unsure about is where the blue route lines finish does that mean I can continue as directed by air traffic I would like to fly down past P.Orly and on past Melun Velorche do you know what other docs I might need if I got ramp checked at Issy I don't fancy that !!

scooter boy
13th Jan 2007, 17:21
I went down there in 2005. Great people - inexpensive and very friendly - I would love to go again at some point. We routed from Maders (Cornwall) to Jersey (cheap fuel) then Issy-L-M. Came back via a more easterly route Toussus-L-N (fuel stop), via Shoreham to Maders as wx had deteriorated to the west.

You just need to call them first they are very helpful Ph 0145 54 04 44 / Fax 0145 58 39 21 - (I may be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but) I would also programme the important waypoints into the GPS and create a flightplan to Issy rather than solely rely on pilotage to find the relevant spots. There is also a textual descrition of the various routes at the bottom of the chart. AFAIK last chart edition was dated May 2005.

Nice Sofitel literally right next to the heliport - be sure not to hit it 'cos it's pretty big - if you need a room you can call them on 0140 60 30 30 / Fax 0140 60 30 00.

Also a metro stop approx 200m away!

£30 covered landing, parking overnight and having the aircraft guarded by a machine-gun wielding gendarme - beat that Battersea!

Vive la France!

Have fun, :ok:

SB

Reflex
13th Jan 2007, 18:58
I go to Issy about 4 times a year.
I can echo all the points made above with a couple of extras.
The police at Issy have 'rangefinder' binoculars which they will use to check your height.
Best route in is via Rocquencourt then along the autoroute to the river. You'll be asked to call passing Pont de Sevres along the way. Quite a few of the heliroutes in the NW sector have been closed for security reasons for a few years now.
Once they get to know you, all the people at Issy are very friendly but it is highly likely you will have all your docs checked so make sure you've got them all to hand. After this initial visit you'll be OK. The DGAC have one of their main offices at Issy so they've got to get things right.
Never mind the Sofitel, go and have a meal or coffee in the Aquaboulavard next to Issy.
One last thing, do not be tempted to go far downwind for rwy 24, keep very tight in or you'll be given a Gallic thick ear!!

Tailboom
13th Jan 2007, 23:00
Thanks guys for the advice I've stayed in the Sofitel before and your right very comfortable, i'll also try the coffee next door!

Where can I get the French Notams on my computer is there a French AIS site like we have where I can down load the info

delta3
14th Jan 2007, 16:20
I use Issy regularly.
Agree with the above info (friendly and cheap considering location).
Some extra hints.
1. Info (see previous threads on electronic AIP's) :
http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/fr/..\PDF_AIPparSSection\VAC%20HELISTATIONS\AD\3\0701_AD%203.LF PI.pdf
(Very good info)
2. Follow route/rules : 1500 ft (requires correct meteo), compact circuit with steep approach, agree with GPS pre-flight prep, routes are narrow and waypoints close. Also pre-check emergency fields en route.
3. Normally no 100LL in weekends
d3

Heliport
14th Jan 2007, 20:05
Some useful tips so far, but ...... it would be very helpful if someone (or a few pilots) familar with flying to Issy from the UK could write in more detail.

This thread could then become a 'Beginners Guide' to which people planning their first trip could refer in future.

Heliport

Tailboom
15th Jan 2007, 07:43
Some good tips so far, that AIS site is really good for info and the Notams, Ive also run the route through Google Earth from Roquenquote to see how it will look from the air well worth doing, especially showing the route for a landing on 24. and the approach to 06
What docs do you think they will want to see and check, also the only thing I'm unsure of is how I proceed south almost past Orly Airport the route appears to stop and then start again I fighure that you will have to speak to Orly for a crossing clearence then get back on the Heli Route.
Were almost there !!

By the way I think the suggestion of a guide by some one with more experience is a really good idea.

verticalhold
15th Jan 2007, 08:11
I go there about once a week on average. For docs carry the lot! Especially anything that proves VAT has been paid within the EC. The guys at Issy are ever friendly and helpful, but if you do get ramp checked it will be thorough, as the crew of a certain UK based, BVI registered Bell 430 can attest. They had checked the met at base, but not carried a printed copy. DGAC had a great time with that one.

If you can't prove that VAT has been paid you can find yourself grounded until you either provide proof, or pay the assesment they level on the aircraft and lets face it 17.5% of any helicopter is a shed load of cash:ok:

Unlike the UK where ramp checks appear to be the preserve of Public Transport aircraft elsewhere in Europe it appears to be freeplay.

Ready2Fly
21st May 2007, 07:53
As i am planning to go to Issy as well, can anybody of you please give me a hint of where to find the "Itinéraires
Hélicoptères" chart, Paris CTR 2 and 3?
I have been searching through the whole french AIP (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/UK/home.htm) (and got LFPI charts) but were not able to find the helicopter routes chart. :confused:

Edit:
Oh well, found it here (http://sia2.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/cgi-bin/siavpc2.storefront/465150d800f7867a273fd417a21c069d/Product/View/4071) in their shop...

Thanks in advance,
Ready2Fly

Tailboom
21st May 2007, 22:15
You can buy the charts from Transair,I did'n't end up flying the Paris Heli Routes in the end but you want to look at Google Earth before you go and take a look at the entry and exit points you can almost fly the routes from the site it will show you what to expect on route
have a good trip, the Sofitel is a good Hotel to stay in it almost over looks the Heliport

FloaterNorthWest
22nd May 2007, 11:01
We tried to order one from Transair this week but they are out of stock.

Best to order from the French.

FNW

delta3
22nd May 2007, 20:52
Jeppesen has the heli-routes see Paris Area 10-1VA
Good for preparation, in flight the map (routes in brown) is hard to read
Map 10-1Y has a list of all waypoints with coordinates
d3