PDA

View Full Version : The late Wing Commander Hutchins

228 OCU
12th Jan 2007, 19:07
Bit of a long shot this. In 1972 or 73 (can't find my logbook to confirm which), during my time at 618 sqn GS RAF West Malling, my much respected gliding instructor W Cdr Hutchins was killed the weekend after I got my wings. He was doing a simulated low cable break with a new pupil, but instead of pushing, the pupil pulled on the stick. This happend at about 30ft AGL. The Kirby Kadet stood on its tail, went past the vertical, and from that position there was only one way it could go and they were both killed. I have oft thought of this lovely kind man and his wife, who would bring his caravan down so that his wife could keep us topped-up with tea and bacon butties. And the point of all this is that if anyone knows of where he is buried, I'd just like to say hello and thanks.

If in doubt BANG OUT!

ACW418
13th Jan 2007, 21:53

I am having lunch on Tuesday with the CO of 618 who took over from the CO at the time of the accident - Gerry Fuller. He incidentally married the Wg Cdr's widow, Rusty, but alas he died of cancer a year or two back.

I will enquire of the location of the grave and get back to you.
ACW

228 OCU
14th Jan 2007, 17:15
Thank you very much, that is kind of you.

If in doubt BANG OUT!

ACW418
16th Jan 2007, 22:02
228 I have sent you a PM.

ACW