PDA

View Full Version : disqualifying conditions - my story

enicalyth
12th Jan 2007, 13:24
Disqualifying conditions can arise and it would be a wise pilot or aspirant who gives some thought to the matter. The “E” got felled by a stroke and as soon as "it" is well enough to travel its coming home with KO Sally where we are going to stick together like glue and b*gger everything else. At the suggestion of my good and excellent mate Old Smokey, I’ll tell you all a story.

I make no bones about flying being a career best entered at the earliest opportunity. The reasons being it’s not as easy as you might think to learn the necessary skills and hold down a job/marriage/balanced life; reality might differ from preconceptions and the job is conditional and always under review. Turf is green on both sides of the fence but it has a brown side too. You can always go from green to green and back again. But once you are on the brown side of the turf you’re there for keeps. To mix metaphors if your ship is sinking you should step into a fully provisioned lifeboat, you don’t jump into a liferaft. You might even miss. Life is up to you and down to experience so let me let me run over a few things based on experience.

My background is pretty conventional with a few twists. I joined the air force, made a pretty undistinguished fist of it, left and took up civil flying at first with some pretty ropey outfits, suffered some set backs with companies that collapsed and concluded with heavy log-haul before retiring to join a well-known airframe manufacturer as an analyst.

I am disqualified from flying because of cerebrovascular disease – a stroke. I put this down to a) losing the plot in safeguarding my health and b) a stupid and unrealistic choice of second career for an older and outdated man. Please take heed.

You cannot cure a stroke, you can only at best adapt because part of the brain dies. Another part of the brain may try to compensate but it’s like having second-hand Rose in second-hand clothes teaching an old dog new tricks.

The severity of the consequences depend on which part of the brain and how much of it suffered. The quicker the patient is correctly diagnosed and appropriately treated the better. A stroke is therefore a full-on medical emergency. Call the emergency services, RING that bell.

Some of the most potent drugs available for treatment themselves carry significant risk towards the liver and kidneys. This is no time to be in need of a “detox”.

Eat and drink sensibly based on proper advice, not opinion or hearsay. Balance is not solely a matter of the diet sheet but keeping things in proportion and not see-sawing from one extreme to the other. A glass of wine and a slice of birthdaycake isn’t going to kill you – it’s hardly overindulgence – but frowning and looking down on others all your life is quite a good recipe for disaster too. Tee-hee can be better than tee-tee.

Actually what is a stroke? It is a condition that occurs when the brain loses part of its blood supply and with it oxygen, nutrients and cleansing. This may be because an artery is blocked (ischemia) or is ruptured (hemorrhage). Correct diagnosis of which variety is essential because the root treatment involves either thinning or thickening the blood and these are mutually exclusive. Thinning the blood when it should be thickened and vice versa can prove fatal and at the very least make things worse.

How do you recognise stroke? A sudden weakness of the face, arm or leg, most often on one side of the body is often the first clue that a stroke has occurred. There will often be confusion and trouble with speaking or understanding speech. You may have trouble with seeing in one or both eyes. Your vision may be blurred but actual double vision can be a dead giveaway. If you can walk at all there could well be a lot of dizziness with general loss of coordination and balance. Even simple tasks such as these are beyond you. Can you touch your nose and then another person’s fingertip? Come on, pull a funny face and stick your tongue out? Pinch your eyelids tight shut tight as you can and defeat the attempts of your carer to prise them apart? These sorts of things are clues and all the while the patient is almost certainly conscious. There may or may not be a headache and the sufferer might unwittingly let the bladder go I must add.

As an observer try to note if a patient is salivating or is dry in the mouth, has the tongue been bitten and is the jaw clenched or unclenched. These things help the medical team gain insight.

Strokes mainly affect 60+ year old blokes but they happen young or old, male or female too. Don’t kid yourself, lifestyle has a lot to do with it and not that your granny was fond of treacle scones. Unpleasant though they are then, submit to proper needle in the arm blood tests and not thumb-pricks round at the pharmacy. How else do you know for sure your LDL/HDL balance is within limits? Low density lipoprotein (LDL) is popularly known as “malign” cholesterol whereas high density (HDL) is considered “benign”. Have the tests and heed any prescription but don’t consider medications such as statins as a permit to eat and drink as you like.

Drinking alcohol disturbs the metabolism and worsens your cholesterol count for that reason. It also takes vitamins from your system. Eat starchy food without fat, wholegrain bread, plenty fruit, oily fish in reason. Drink plenty water. Exercise regularly and briskly – three 25 minute workouts per week is recommended for all adults. Walking the dog and strolling to the office or pub don’t count. Staggering back? The very idea.

Know your blood pressure. Whatever your age your base rate should be below 150/85 for good health and anyone who says 100+your age over ninety is talking borrox.

Adapting to change should it come is going to depend on a lot of variables. Because I chose a career early enough for my mistakes not to be disastrous I’m in a better position then many. I’m not in debt, I’ve been careful with money, I’ve been blessed beyond measure with my wife and kids. It probably could have been far better for all of us (and I don’t mean financially) if I’d left the air force and used that experience plus my degree in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering to have opted for a more family-friendly career than aviation. But I didn’t and my illness was almost but not quite the last straw for the one person I owe everything to.

As its stands I’m a pretty good carpenter. Good enough to provide for us two with what we’ve put by and we’re both keen sailors and very, very chastened with what has happened. We’ve had to look at each other, take a deep breath and not squander thirty something years together. With a following wind we’ve twenty or twenty-five years to look forward to. But probably less thanks to the stuffwit writing this.

The moving finger writes and having writ moves on; nor all your piety nor wit can lure it back to cancel half a line nor all your tears wash out one jot of it. Look after yourselves, ffolks.

Best Rgds

The “E”

gingernut
12th Jan 2007, 14:19
Hi E, thanks for sharing that, one of the most informed post I've read.

Good Health:)

And you don't sound anymore stupid than most of us.

redsnail
14th Jan 2007, 14:40
Hey E,

Awesome post. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Enjoy your sailing.

reddo!

Thomas coupling
20th Jan 2007, 11:19
Hi E...lovely post. Tell me why you think the last choice of career may have tilted you over the health edge? What damage did your lifestyle do to you?

boogie-nicey
24th Jan 2007, 09:25
Many thanks "E" and God Bless ..... excellent post probably one of the most directive I've come across on pprune... you take care of yourself and keep smiling .... :)

SIBUK
14th Feb 2007, 03:27
enicalyth, I am sorry to hear about your stroke and even more so that they revoked your medical because of it :( I only hope you have recovered well and there is no serious disability! I also thought that maybe you would like to hear my story because I myself had an ischemic stroke only 6 months ago.

August 5th 2006, a day that I wont be forgetting. I had just graduated from university and was on my first holiday in 10 years, paragliding in Slovenia to celebrate. My plan was to have my holiday, then return home and get my medical before going to Canada to train for my commerical helicopter pilot licence with the ultimate plan of emigrating there (I have family and friends there).

But now my plans are ruined. On the first day of my holiday we went go-karting and I badly hurt my neck. I remember it was a very sharp pain in my neck, not like the average acheing pain that normally you get, but I didnt think anything of it and figured it would go away after a few days. A few hours later I felt very sick and had to go lie down, but it passed. 2 days later I was just walking along a car park when I suddenly started to feel a bit odd and I felt like I was falling to the right. It was the crazyest sensation and as I carried on walking I was kind of leaning to the left even though were were on level ground and so I was almost falling over to the left even though I felt like I was falling to the right. I made it over to where my friend was and sat down on a fence and I turned to him to speak when suddenly I got a really loud whistling noise in my right ear and I felt all weak a sick and I just slumped to the floor. My friend screamed out for help and loads of people came running over and as I lay there everything started to spin like you wouldnt belive (imagine the time you have been the most drunk in your life, then mutliply the spinning sensation by 10) and slowly over the next few seconds the right side of my body and my left hand started to turn all numb and tingley like as if I had pins and needles, and the spinning... oh man, the spinning, I just cannot describe.

I got scared because I didnt know what was going on. But slowly over the next couple of minutes the spining subsided somewhat and I stared to feel a bit better and so people helped me up to the sitting position and I was given some water to drink. I saw double and I could not walk and my right side still felt all tingly although I could still move my arms and legs just fine. The weirdest thing was my face, especially my lips. I know it sounds weird, but the right side of my lips was all tingley like serious pins and needles, and the left side was fine, and the right side of my face felt a bit cold, (you know like when you wake up in the night as you realise that you have been sleeping with your head on your arm and your arm is totally cold and limp so you pick your dead arm up using your other hand and toss it to one side and then it all starts to tingle like hell as all the blood rushes back in and you get the feeling back, just like that!)

I remember everone was saying to me ohh your going to be ok youve just had a funny turn, and I especially remember this silly dizzy cow who came over and said 'Ohh this has happened to me 3 or 4 times when I got too excited' :rolleyes: but I didnt feel any better after I had drank the water so I asked to lie down on the grass, and thinking I was going to be fine after a few minutes everyone got back to whatever they were doing. As I lay there I felt really horrible and I was breathing really fast. I was like some drunk person lying on the floor. It was like when you feel really ill and you lie on the bathroom floor expecting to be sick any minute, but I had this terrible pins and needles and the double spinning vision. I felt myself slowly getting worse and worse instead of better and I cryed out again and my friends were right there near me and came over. As soon as they came over I started having these convustion. My hands and fingers were like all gnarled up and stiff and I was breathing real fast so someone suggested holding a bang over my mouth because they thought I was hyperventilating. Turns out there were right and the bag helped but then it was decided I had better go to hospital. I had to be taken in on a wheelchair because I couldnt support myself at all, and after I was taking in in the chair I requested again to lie on the floor, it was so bad I couldnt sit upright in a chair nevermind walk. So there I was in the middle of A&E sprawled accross the floor next to a wheelchair. Needless to say a bunch of doctors and nurses immediatly came running. You must remember this trick next time you gotta go visit A&E. Instead of waiting 6 hours to be seen just borrow a wheelchair from the enterance then lie on the floor next to you = you immediatly skip the queue!

So they took me in to a room and my friends explained what happened and then the doctors spoke to me and asked me for my version of events and I explained with difficulty what happened because although I knew what I wanted to say, it was difficult to get the words out. Then one of the doctors said 'Hmmm I think he could be over-excited' and I felt like telling him to STFU. Seriously, do they get a lot of people who get wheeled in to hospital on a wheelchair who have numb tingling all down the right side of their body and who are seeing double and have trouble speaking and cant walk who are 'Over Excited'?? Please, someone enlighten me if this is a common thing to happen because it still annoys me to this day when I think about it.

After 2 days of lying in a hospital bed drifting in and out of sleep and not knowing what day it was in a room with 4 other old guys who didnt speak a word of english I was taked for a CAT scan. It was after this I was told they thought I had had a stroke. It all made sense after this and I felt good that they had figured out what it was but then after a few more hours of lying there thinking I remembered my medical. I got the worst sinking feeling in my heart ever. I got sweat on the brow of my head as the realisation sank in that they might never let me fly after this. The next week was just horrible :( Just lying there in bed with this thought in my head. It was truly one of the worst times in my life. I didnt even care that I just had a stroke I just kept thinking what was I going to do if I wasnt going to be a pilot.

After about 7 days my vision was fine and I was able to walk, the tingling had all gone and they allowed me to leave (although I didnt exactly feel myself for soem time after!). I was not allowed to do anything for 6 weeks and so because I had driven to slovenia I had to abandon my car and my insurance company flew me home.

So now, instead of having my CPL(H) which I would have had, I am still here, going through alsorts of medical tests. There is some good news though. 2 weeks ago they found out why I had my stroke. Remember that neck pain? Well it turns out I had torn an artery in my neck. In medical terms my stroke was secondary to a right vertibral artery dissection. What had happened is I had torn the lining of the artery and blood had then forced its way into the wall of the artery causing it to 'balloon' out and blocking off the blood supply to part of my brain. This had made me feel extremely sick a few hours after the go-karting but it passed with time (there are actually 4 arteries that supply blood to your head and so even if one or two block you can still be fine). So, then a blood clot started to form behind the blockage and 2 days later it broke free and I had my stroke.

Since I am only 29 and the stroke was the result of another issue, it appears I still may be able to pass my medical as I have come away having made a complete recovery. So, I am still going to take that medical.

If anyone else has any experience with medicals with regard to strokes, I would dearly like to hear about it.

camprax
26th Feb 2007, 19:31
eibuk,well good luck in getting your medical really hope you are successful. Sometimes we never really think about our own health and how lucky we are that we havent endured what you both did,yourself and E. I will be making more of an effort to take care of myself .Good luck gentlemen and thank you for the honesty.
camprax