PDA

View Full Version : navy

newbie008
11th Jan 2007, 21:46
can anyone tell me what the minimum length of service is for a pilot in the navy? thanks

jayteeto
11th Jan 2007, 21:54
Be prepared for some ribbing, because if (IF) you are looking at getting out before you get in, you may just show lack of commitment. Remember, the best answer is that you plan to do a full career, without promotion for five years....

WhiteOvies
12th Jan 2007, 08:42
All officers in the RN join for 12 years (Initial Commission). If the Navy still want you (or anybody for that matter!) they can then offer you Carreer Commission (16 Yrs) and Full Term Commission (22 Yrs). Return of service varies per branch but don't expect to get out as aircrew much before 6 years. After spending a lot of money to train you the Navy is not going to let go without getting it's money worth!

newbie008
12th Jan 2007, 09:55
I appreciate your comments, Im just looking at my options at the moment. My dad was a pilot in the navy (rotary) and said I should consider it as an option, which is what Im doing. Its a big step signing up for a considerable time so Im just enquiring, doesnt necesarily mean Im looking to join for 2 years get trained and then **** off to civilian life again! Im merely considering my options and given Ive never tried anything like the navy before, its a rather daunting thought. apologies to those of you ive pissed off

WhiteOvies
12th Jan 2007, 10:19
No worries, theres plenty of info on here about the way to go about joining us dark blue. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in so far, maybe not every single minute but definately the majority. Would still recommend it to anybody!:ok:

Mick Strigg
12th Jan 2007, 10:48
Quote:Its a big step signing up for a considerable time Unquote

Remember, if you become an accountant, you work as an accountant for the rest of your life! So don't think of it as joining the Navy for a long time, think of it as becoming a pilot for the rest of your life, the first bit of which will be spent in the Navy.

I hope that helps.

mustflywillfly
12th Jan 2007, 11:05
As a serving Officer in Dark Blue I suggest you consider the Crabs first.
The RN is disappearing up the Government's Arse! The RAF have more aircraft too and if you get chopped from one type you may still end up flying another.

Either way, best of luck.

MFWF

newbie008
12th Jan 2007, 11:47
dont mind the being a pilot bit, I was referring to joining the navy for a chunk of my life.

I have looked at the RAF but Im 24 so too old to join as a pilot, plus ive heard it is a lot harder to get in, especially as a jet pilot.

White ovies - How old r you and what aircraft do you fly? Is it hard to get in? Am i right about 10months basic training before you even start flying?

WhiteOvies
12th Jan 2007, 12:55
Newbie,
Check PMs, not going to admit too much on an open Forum!:oh:

anotherthing
12th Jan 2007, 15:32
I have looked at the RAF but Im 24 so too old to join as a pilot, plus ive heard it is a lot harder to get in, especially as a jet pilot.

I don't know who told you that, but it's tosh. There are slightly different scoring systems for RN or RAF applicants, but it is not much harder to get into one service than the other.

However, if you are good enough to be a jet pilot, (age aside), I would wager it's easier to achieve in the RAF than the RN - not because of lack of standards...... how many Jets do the RAF have compared to the RN - what if you are a great stick man but your navigation etc is not great?? To be a single seat jet pilot, you have to be pretty damned skilled - 2 seater jet pilots are still very highly skilled, but at least you have a nav (sorry wso or whatever they are calling it now) - and that option is in the RAF!

anotherthing
12th Jan 2007, 16:42
ratty,

I'll take your word on that as I was rotary!