PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember my Dad? 'Vulcan Bomber'

SarBen
11th Jan 2007, 08:54
Hi
I'm hoping to locate anyone who might remember my father - Alastair Bennett. He was Nav/Bomber Aimer (I think) for the Vulcan Bomber with IX Squadron circa 1963 through to 1968 when it unfortunately came down in Cottesmore. During the time he was flying I think he was based in Singapore and Cottesmore. The accident was in January during a routine test flight and consequently didn't involve his 'usual' crew. I would love to hear from anyone who may be able to help point me in the right direction to locate his old crew or anyone else who might happen to remember him.
Many thanks
Sarah

Flatiron
11th Jan 2007, 09:58
I flew with Mike Gillett on Canberras in the Seventies but I don't know where he is now. You can try the 100 Sqn adjutant. Pete Tait stayed with the Vulcan way beyond what was sensible to get his rear crew out. He only survived because his deploying parachure was caught by power lines 35ft above the ground.

forget
11th Jan 2007, 10:52
Pete Tait stayed with the Vulcan way beyond what was sensible to get his rear crew out. He only survived because his deploying parachure was caught by power lines 35ft above the ground.
Incredible - but true. The overhead lines, on wooden poles, carried electrical power to a farm house. The only overheads for miles.

There's a 1964 picture of 604 at -

http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/crown_copyright/wittering_orp.htm

SarBen
11th Jan 2007, 15:45
Thank you all for suggestions and comments and clearly for taking the time to respond... it's truly amazing.

I will be following up all ideas put forward (probably as soon as I get to finish work tonight!!!)

In the meantime I look forward to Amazon dropping off my copy of Vulcan 607 in an attempt to understand a little more!

A Huge Big 'Thank you'

BEagle
11th Jan 2007, 16:41
SarBen, why not pop over to either Bruntingthorpe or Wellesbourne and see a real, live Vulcan? Neither aerodrome is very far from Leicestershire. I'm sure if you got in touch with either organisation, they'd be prepared to show you where your Dad would have sat in the mighty beast.

Bruntingthorpe (XH558): http://www.tvoc.co.uk/

Wellesbourne (XM655): http://www.xm655.com/

Jackonicko
11th Jan 2007, 18:12
And bear in mind that Vulcan 607 is about the Vulcan's part in the Falkland's war - to learn more about the Vulcan your Dad would have known (the Vulcan that was at the tip of Britain's nuclear deterrent spear), I'd recommend 'Bombers of the West' by Bill Gunston (it's beautifully written and not too laden down with detail, so is ideal for the lay reader, but can only be found second hand) and even the mammoth HMSO tome on RAF nuclear deterrent forces.

If you were an enthusiast, I'd probably recommend PPRuNer Tim McLelland's book on the Vulcan, or his V-Force tome (published under the name Tim Laming), but you might find Robert Jackson's Modern Combat Aircraft 11: V-Bombers to be a better start.

My own Vulcan book is still a work in progress - though it will feature an illustration of your Dad's old aircraft, and of a number of No.IX Squadron Vulcans that would be in his log book.

Pontius Navigator
11th Jan 2007, 19:14
Sarah,

I knew Pete Tait and Mike Gillet but I cannot place your father even though I was a Nav Rad on the Sqn next door. (12(B)).

If you browse the Did You Fly Vulcans thread you will find some information about this crash. At the time I was at Waddington.

Your father did not 'serve' on Vulcans in Singapore in the then accepted sense of the word.

The Cottesmore Wing held the Far East reinforcement mission from 1964 through to about 1968 when the task was switched to the Waddington wing and all the aircraft were swopped over too. The Cottesmore wing then moved to Cyprus to become the Akrotiri Bomber Wing.

The Singapore task was for up to 24 Vulcans to deploy to RAF Tengah in Singapore where there were two purpose built squadron facilities. The crews were planned to fly either via Cyprus, Bahrein (overflying Turkey and Iran) thence to Gan and Singapore. Alternatively, in case the 'Eastabout' Route was not possible for pilitical reason there was also a 'Westabout' route via Canada, the USA, and Guam.

I do not know how often the mission was practised but I know of one eastabout from Cottesmore in Apr 65 with, if I recall correctly, 8 aircraft from 35 sqn. It is likely that IX would have done a detachment the following year. These exercises lasted some 4-6 weeks.

brickhistory
11th Jan 2007, 20:50
but you might find Robert Jackson's Modern Combat Aircraft 11: V-Bombers to be a better start.

Jackson's "Avro Vulcan" was also a very good reference. Also, only available second hand now, I believe.

teeteringhead
12th Jan 2007, 08:34
Sarah

to put some more flesh on Mike Jenvey's Innsworth suggestion, the current RAF Retired List shows:

MJ Gillett dob 26 Dec 40 retired as a flt lt GD (Aircrew) 3 Feb 80

and

PC Tait dob 3 Dec 42 retired as a flt lt GD (Aircrew) 3 Dec 80

who sound like yer men....

forget
12th Jan 2007, 09:35
I was looking for more on 604 and came across this from one of the recovery team.

............... 604 cleared the end of the runway and went into a left hand turn to go around the circuit. Number two engine shaft broke so the compresser blades acting as a gaint saw went through the bomb bay cutting all the controls and hydraulics. The Vulcan crashed in the front yard of a local farm. When we went to recover the pieces........... as we where digging in the hole we found the entrance door of a B17 which had crashed in 1944. We also came across some other unidentified material. When we asked the farmer what he knew he told us the Vulcan was the fourth aircraft to crash in that spot.

:confused:

forget
12th Jan 2007, 10:23
Sarah, Here's a route to the full Board of Inquiry from the National Archives. I haven't dug any deeper - as yet. Let us know how you get on
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=6329086&CATLN=6&accessmethod=5

Also, Cow Close Farm, very bottom below, is crash site. Runway top centre.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/gam_ordsvywat-sun-1798096273116.png

Zoom
12th Jan 2007, 11:27
Happy Birthday for Sunday, Sarah. It looks as if this thread has already got you a rather nice birthday present. Good luck to you, and well done to the contributors. :D

SarBen
12th Jan 2007, 21:03
Hi All

Thank you to every one who has read and contributed. I am so very, very grateful. Clearly I shall/have followed up all suggestions and comments.

It’s become clear to me these such events have a great importance and stay in the minds of all those who understand and care. Never forgotten, but live on in the hearts of us all.

And yes Zoom… you are totally right… this thread has honestly been the bestest ever birthday present I could ever have hoped for I've been totally overwhelmed by the response and knowledge.

Thank you all so very, very much
Sarah

SRAM
13th Jan 2007, 09:09
Hello Sarah,
I too was a Nav Rad at Cottesmore at the time of your Dads death, though on 12B Sqn. I knew your dad quite well as we travelled into work together some times, I lived at Langham and he nearby. As I remember just before the accident he had had a car crash, not serious, hitting a cow!, but his car was badly damaged.
The accident was horrific, with as you have heard the two pilots getting out by the skin of their teeth. Mike Gillette moved over to our Squadron later as co-pilot.

Hope this helps a little.

Time Flies
13th Jan 2007, 09:30
I must say that this thread has been fascinating to read and I feel genuinely happy for the young lady who has found the information she was looking for.

This has been a great example of one of the benefits of the Military Forum. The many contributors to this forum and their knowledge/experiences have been pooled together to enable Sarah to answer the questions she had.

I wish you all the best with your continued research into your fathers history Sarah.

Regards to all,

TF

forget
13th Jan 2007, 12:51
Sarah, Looks like you've had a win with SRAM! :ok: If you're interested in the details of what happened to your Dad's aircraft the No 2 engine was the cause. The main shaft broke up and a turbine disc went through the bomb bay - severing the control runs. Approximate point of failure shown below. No doubt the BoI papers will fill you in.

Your Dad's 'desk' was number 132.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/XM604.jpg

From Andy Leitch's site - http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/navrad.jpg

Yellow Sun
13th Jan 2007, 13:28
I lived at Langham

It's a small world SRAM. I was in the Wheatsheaf last night (well most Friday nights for that matter).

YS

philrigger
13th Jan 2007, 18:35
;)

Your father did not 'serve' on Vulcans in Singapore in the then accepted sense of the word.
The Cottesmore Wing held the Far East reinforcement mission from 1964 through to about 1968 when the task was switched to the Waddington wing and all the aircraft were swopped over too. The Cottesmore wing then moved to Cyprus to become the Akrotiri Bomber Wing.
The Singapore task was for up to 24 Vulcans to deploy to RAF Tengah in Singapore where there were two purpose built squadron facilities. The crews were planned to fly either via Cyprus, Bahrein (overflying Turkey and Iran) thence to Gan and Singapore. Alternatively, in case the 'Eastabout' Route was not possible for pilitical reason there was also a 'Westabout' route via Canada, the USA, and Guam.
I do not know how often the mission was practised but I know of one eastabout from Cottesmore in Apr 65 with, if I recall correctly, 8 aircraft from 35 sqn. It is likely that IX would have done a detachment the following year. These exercises lasted some 4-6 weeks.
Following the withdrawal from RAAF Butterworth of the 55/57 Sqn Victor (Bomber) aircraft detachments in 'Aug '65, 4 Vulcans were detached from RAF Cottesmore to RAF Tengah, Singapore as the Medium Bomber Force Detachment. From Aug '65 to Feb '66 9 Sqn aircrew had the committment. Feb '66 saw 35 Sqn take over the detachment until May '66 when it was 9 Sqns turn again. From Nov '65 to Feb '66 the Det Cdr was Sqn Ldr DBR Harris (9 Sqn) and from Feb '66 to May 66 it was Wg Cdr DA Arnott, DFC (OC 35 Sqn). Engineering support coming from the Engineering Wing, RAF Cottesmore. Aircrew detachments were for up to 3 months at any one time. Groundcrew tour lengths were 3 months with an option to complete further 3 months. During Dec '65 and Feb '66 the whole detachment redeployed to RAAF Darwin for exercises with the RAAF.
I was on the detachment at Tengah from Nov '65 to May '66.
It was a long time ago but I think the dates are correct.
So Sarah's Dad could have spent a few months in Singapore.
'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

Robert Cooper
13th Jan 2007, 18:42
Fascinating thread! Well done all! :)

old Bawtry hack

Pontius Navigator
13th Jan 2007, 19:06
;)
Following the withdrawal from RAAF Butterworth of the 55/57 Sqn Victor (Bomber) aircraft detachments in 'Aug '65, 4 Vulcans were detached from RAF Cottesmore to RAF Tengah, Singapore as the Medium Bomber Force Detachment. From Aug '65 to Feb '66 9 Sqn aircrew had the committment. Feb '66 saw 35 Sqn take over the detachment until May '66 when it was 9 Sqns turn again. From Nov '65 to Feb '66 the Det Cdr was Sqn Ldr DBR Harris (9 Sqn) and from Feb '66 to May 66 it was Wg Cdr DA Arnott, DFC (OC 35 Sqn). Engineering support coming from the Engineering Wing, RAF Cottesmore. Aircrew detachments were for up to 3 months and groundcrew tour lengths were 3 months with an option to complete further 3 months. During Dec '65 and Feb '66 the whole detachment redeployed to RAAF Darwin for exercises with the RAAF.
I was on the detachment at Tengah from Nov '65 to May '66.
It was a long time ago but I think the dates are correct.
So Sarah's Dad could have spent a few months in Singapore.

Thanks for that Phil, in the interests of completeness however, the V-bomber presence in 1964 was 10/15 Victors at Tengah and 55/57 Victors at Butterworth. The Victor detachment was replaced by a 4-ac Vulcan detachment from 12(B) Sqn of the RAF Coningsby Wing commanded by Wg Cdr Bob Tanner. Although the detachment deployed in early Sep 64 it was held at RAF Khormaksar for a week and then at RAF Gan for 2 weeks as HQ FEAF was concerned with the air threat and overloading of bases on the mainland. The Vulcan (4) and Victor (2) detachment at RAF Gan would have been a surprise to Indonesia if they had had to launch an attack from deep field in the West.

The Vulcans eventually arrived at Butterworth in Oct 64 and the Victors departed Tengah about the same time. The Vulcan detachment was suddenly withdrawn in early December 64 and not replaced until Apr 65. I had my ideas as to why we were withdrawn but I think it had to do with balance of payments at home rather than any pacifist sentiment by the new Labour Government. Research by Dr David Easter reveals that the Wilson Government was more concerned with maintaining a presence East of Suez than in Germany. The US was also concerned that we maintained our presence in the Far East as we could do things and go places that they could not.

philrigger
13th Jan 2007, 22:05
;)
Thank you for that Pontious Navigator. It is all starting to come back to me now.
My how time flies.

Philrigger.

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFi bar.'

forget
23rd Jan 2007, 12:09
I’ve heard from Sarah on the Board of Inquiry papers. She was pleased to see, from the sad affair, that the ‘sixteenth witness refers to my father as being exceptional’.

Of interest –

Allocation of Blame. The Board concluded that no blame attaches to any person or organisation.

And, even more incredible than I thought -

Utilisation of Escape Facilities. Captain. The aircraft had rolled to port through at least 90 degrees but not more than 120 degrees, with a nose down angle of between 15 and 20 degrees when the Captain ejected from an approximate height of 300 feet by pulling the face blind. The blind partially covered the right side of his face because he only used his right hand to pull the face screen firing handle. Due to the attitude of the aircraft and the low height at the time of ejection the parachute had only streamed when the pilot passed through high tension cables close to the scene of the accident. The canopy caught one cable, pulled that cable onto the next one and caused an electrical short. This fused the nylon panels together which acted as a brake, and the pilot was lowered to the ground. As his feet touched he undid the quick release box and walked away.

Sarah’s sent me ten pdf pages from the BoI. (About 4Meg) She has no objection to these being sent on as they may be of interest to ex-Mil crews. If you‘d like to PM me with a direct e-mail address I’ll send them. An assurance that you are ex (or current ) Mil crew would help, apart from the obvious ones of course.

MSum
5th Jun 2007, 20:59
Hi all,
I stumbled on this forum by complete chance and realised that there is information on here that is of great interest to me and my family. My uncle was Flight Lt. Stephen Sumpter who also died when XM604 crashed at Cottesmore. I have already contacted forget and he has provided some much appreciated information regarding the crash. I also see that there are people on here that may have known my uncle, I would very happy to hear from anyone that knew him or has any information or stories about him.
Thanks for your time
Matt Sumpter.

Ali Barber
6th Jun 2007, 03:00
I don't think it is the same Pete Tait. I understood that he had only ever flown single seaters and had been originally posted to Spitfires, although they changed to jets before he got there.

peppermint_jam
6th Jun 2007, 17:00
Should either of you require more information, you could try contacting IX(B) Sqn's association,

http://www.association.9sqn.co.uk/

The secretary is Sqn Ldr Dicky James, a very friendly and approachable guy.
His contact details are on the site, he serves at RAF Marham.

Firestorm
6th Jun 2007, 17:32
Peter Tait

http://www.chirp.co.uk/main/Aviation.htm

Is this the same Peter Tait?

I have met him once or twice: a real gentleman.

MSum
8th Jun 2007, 09:36
Thanks all for the info, I will check it out.
Matt

IX TABS
9th Jun 2007, 07:40
Sarah, Matt Sumpter and others.

The IX Squadron Association Reunion will be held at RAF Marham, Norfolk on 8 September 2007. The Reunion attracts over 200 former aircrew and groundcrew members AND relatives who become members. Many aircraft that the great IX(B) Squadron have flown will be represented, including Wellington, Lancaster, Lincoln, Canberra, Vulcan and Tornado.

For more information about the Reunion and how to join, please see www.association.co.uk (http://www.association.co.uk)

IX "There's Always Bl**dy Something"

MSum
12th Jun 2007, 07:51
IX TABS, thanks for the info, although (I think) the link should be:

http://www.association.9sqn.co.uk/

Cheers

v2bsnr
14th Jun 2007, 21:04
Hello Sarah,
I hope you still monitor this thread - I've only just seen your request and have registered so that I can respond.
Al and I joined up together in early 1962 at RAF South Cerney near Cirencester, where we did our officer training. We then went on to RAF Hullavington in Wiltshire for Basic Navigation Training followed by RAF Stradishall near Bury St Edmunds for Advanced Nav Training. We then moved to RAF Lindholm near Doncaster (both Hullavington and Lindholm are now prisons, I think!) for training on the Navigation and Bombing System - as a Navigator / Radar on V-bombers this is what your dad would operate.
After this we went our separate ways - Al to RAF Finningley (now Doncaster Robin Hood Airport) to 'convert' to Vulcans and then on to Cottesmore, and I to RAF Gaydon to fly Valiants and later Victors. By a quirk of fate I was visiting RAF Cottesmore for several weeks December 1967 to February 1968.

Also, there is a Vulcan B2 at the Winthorpe Aircraft Museum (just outside Newark, so shouldn't be too far from you) - by appointment it's possible to go into the cockpit.

Hope this add to the picture you are building up. I will have a look in my 'memories boxes' as it's just possible I might have some photos.
Haven't sussed how this system works yet, but if you think I can help any further just e-mail

Pontius Navigator
14th Jun 2007, 21:25
V2BSNR,

Close but not quite true. Hullavington is an army unit and something to do with the trooping airhead. It is Stradishall that became the prison.

saraG
3rd Jan 2008, 19:13
Hi Sarah-I hope you get this message, I only found this site just before Christmas.
My Dad was also on XM 604 when she went down, he was a navigator too, Benny Goodman.
My Mum kept on touch with the Taits and Gilletts for a long time, but after she died I lost touch.
I found it amazing the number of people who remembered the crash, and was very grateful to find out a bit more about what happened.
If you happen to be in Cottesmore in January we may bump in to each other, as it will be 40 years I thought I would visit the cemetery.
Regards
Sara

Algy
4th Jan 2008, 10:08
Coroner Alan Bond had this to say (http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1968/1968%20-%200320.html). The commonly held opinion at the time I believe.

SarBen
4th Jan 2008, 10:31
Wow, I'm glad you found the forum, and what a lovely idea. I actually live quite close to Cottesmore so if its ok with you could we arrange to meet for lunch or something?
Thanks
Sarah

forget
4th Jan 2008, 12:52
Sarah, These new posts prompted me to try and pin down precisely where 604 went in. By a stroke of luck I found the farmer of the next fields. Very helpful, he remembers it vividly and walked me through Goggle Earth to 52°41'36.70"N 0°40'5.34"W

In fact, the field still shows evidence.

Now all you, and sarag need is a 4 ship flight of IX Squadron Tornados, fingers four low level at 12.30 on the 30th January.

IX Squadron. Anyone there?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/xm604-1.jpg

forget
7th Jan 2008, 09:24
Without the officially (BoI) documented account of Peter Tait this story would never be believed.

Utilisation of Escape Facilities. Captain. The aircraft had rolled to port through at least 90 degrees but not more than 120 degrees, with a nose down angle of between 15 and 20 degrees when the Captain ejected from an approximate height of 300 feet by pulling the face blind. The blind partially covered the right side of his face because he only used his right hand to pull the face screen firing handle. Due to the attitude of the aircraft and the low height at the time of ejection the parachute had only streamed when the pilot passed through high tension cables close to the scene of the accident. The canopy caught one cable, pulled that cable onto the next one and caused an electrical short. This fused the nylon panels together which acted as a brake, and the pilot was lowered to the ground. As his feet touched he undid the quick release box and walked away.

Thanks to Goggle Earth we can now see just what a miracle this was. Enlarged inset, below, shows the 3 phase overhead wires running along the hedge line. Rough track of the aircraft in green.

This has to be the most incredible ejection of all time, bar none.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/wires.jpg

Al R
12th Jan 2008, 20:15
I drive past that farm heading to the gym. How humbling to know that some brave men, so very similar to each of us here, died there.. as all I can think of is a swim and soak. I hope you both get a chance to meet, I'm sure that there will be a lot of thoughts with you and I'll certainly say a quiet hello for you.

Respectfully,

Al.

PS: With regards to Langham, what about those gypsies eh?!

peppermint_jam
24th Jan 2008, 02:20
By kind permission of IX(B) Sqn's association secretary and the current OC IX(B) Sqn I have been doing some research into this crash and the previously mentioned Aircrew. I have managed to find some photos of Flt Lt Bennett which I will post here in due course, once copies have been delivered to his daughter Sarah, the originator of this thread. In the course of my research I did discover that there is a memorial plaque mounted on the rear wall of the church at RAF Cottesmore. I have yet to discover a photo containing the other Airmen lost that day, but I have not given up looking as yet! This photo is from the Sqn archive and is crown copyright.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/robstuff/DPP_30.jpg

Algy
25th Jan 2008, 16:21
Well, the news is that IX Sqn have indeed risen to the occasion and there will be a flypast of the site by a single Tornado at 12:30 on Wednesday 30 January. Clare will be present along with at least myself, Forget, and another Ppruner. The farmer is assisting us with getting to the right spot.

If anyone else is interested in turning up then please feel free to contact me at [email protected] . We're working on the final logistics but roughly speaking it will involve meeting nearby a short while ahead of time and putting on wellies to get to the site. I'll post detailed instructions here and by email.

Al R
25th Jan 2008, 17:00
Well done IX - good to see that remembrance can be all year round.

SarBen
25th Jan 2008, 18:14
A huge, big thank you in advance to IX Squadron and everyone who has helped with the organising.

Thank you :-)

peppermint_jam
25th Jan 2008, 20:41
I hope to be there also, be nice to put names to some of these faces, or faces to some of these names even!

recce_FAC
26th Jan 2008, 02:16
A fantastic thread and a very touching story.A bit of a common phrase these days,Gone but not forgotten.Makes me feel slighty humble that everyone has helped out on this.

Jobza Guddun
26th Jan 2008, 05:14
PJ,

Good skills mate, I'm immensely proud to see my old squadron bending over backwards to help out relatives of our lost ones, and providing a presence in the air and on the ground at a commemoration for them. If I wasn't you-know-where I'd have come along too. Well done IX, and to all involved in this thread, I hope it's of some comfort to the relatives.

Per Noctem Volamus

JG

forget
26th Jan 2008, 12:25
Sarah X 2, Did you ever see the IX Sqdn photograph at

http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/vulcan_people/cgyclose.jpg

There’s a slim chance your respective Dads are in it. Very early 1964. I’m second row down directly under the centre of the No 1 engine intake; far right engine, looking at it. The original’s available if anyone wants good copies.

Pogo-Podo
27th Jan 2008, 18:48
This must be one of the most touching threads I have read on any board, not just PPRuNe. I hope the weather is set fair for all who attend on Wednesday in Rutland.

The only, slightly spurious, link I have is that Mike Gillette was my dad's pilot on 13 at Luqa in 1970!

Algy
28th Jan 2008, 16:19
As things stand IX Sqn are hoping to put up a three-ship this Wednesday, subject to the usual caveats regarding anything to do with flying aeroplanes.

Attending will be at least myself, Sarah Bennett, Forget, Peppermint Jam, and A2QFI. Anyone else is welcome. (I'm sticking to Pprune user-names here for obvious reasons, but it's an assortment of serving and ex-servicemen, with various IX Sqn and/or Cottesmore attachments.)

We will be meeting at the Sun Inn, Cottesmore High Street, at 12:00 and will then walk - in wellies - to the exact crash location for 12:30 to pay our respects.

Open agenda after that.

Algy

batman01
28th Jan 2008, 21:30
Sarah & Sara

As the current 'boss' of IX(Bomber) Sqn, I'm honoured to be able to offer to help you commemorate your fathers lives in an appropriate way. It's the least their Sqn can do. I'll send whatever is the most suitable aircraft or formation that can get to Cottesmore at 1230, so it might be anything from one to four aircraft. Fingers crossed for the weather.

Dave Waddington
OC IX(B)

gareth herts
28th Jan 2008, 21:57
This is a fantastic thread - quite humbling really.

Well done to all involved.

Gareth

Tigs2
28th Jan 2008, 22:00
Top Drills Batman:ok::ok:

saraG
28th Jan 2008, 23:09
Thanks so much to all who have helped organise Wednesday
SaraG

forget
29th Jan 2008, 08:16
Excellent - and as for IX Squadron boss WingCo Waddington's Prune handle - batman01. Cracker :ok:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/bat.jpg

Jobza Guddun
29th Jan 2008, 09:04
Excellent stuff Batman - wouldn't have expected anything less though!!!:ok:

sooty655
29th Jan 2008, 11:29
Hi Sarah, Sara, Matt,

I hope all goes well tomorrow.

If any of you would like to visit XM655 at Wellesbourne, the aircraft is manned every Saturday from 0900 to 1600. Directions are on our website at www.xm655.com (http://www.xm655.com) If you would prefer to visit at another time, please pm me and I will make the arrangements.

Best regards, Sooty655

umbrella1
29th Jan 2008, 12:36
Is anyone at RAF Cottesmore involved?

Al R
29th Jan 2008, 13:05
S&S,

I really hope to be able to make it, but if I don't.. I'm sure you'll both have a wonderful and (yes) an emotional day.

If I can't make it, I'll keep an eye out for those IX Sqn Tonkas though and I hope they're piling the coal on. In a Rutland field or at the Cenotaph, its humbling it is to see us remembering our own - quietly, proudly and with dignity. The memories of Alastair, Benny, Stephen and FO Whelan will be well served tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Al.

peppermint_jam
29th Jan 2008, 14:37
Umbrella1, not to the best of my knowledge. Obviously ATC know tonkas will be in the area at that time, but that's as much as I know.

EdVFX
29th Jan 2008, 21:51
As a civilian 'lurker', but with friends currently serving home and abroad, I have followed this very humbling thread with great interest. It has made me very much aware of the great debt that is owed to the crew of XM604, and those others who sacrificed their lives in our defence during the Cold War and beyond.

If anyone has the opportunity to post some photographs of the memorial gathering and flypast, I'm sure it would be much appreciated by those who are unable to be present.

BackOfTheBus
30th Jan 2008, 07:08
Echo the above - great job by all.

Good luck for today.
RM

airsound
30th Jan 2008, 07:57
Even better this morning!

COTTESMORE EGXJ 300724Z 300918 28012KT 9999 FEW025

see you there....
airsound

peppermint_jam
30th Jan 2008, 08:16
Anychance one of you Aircrew chaps can translate the met report into english, means nothing to me!

forget
30th Jan 2008, 08:22
Twenty miles away. Wall to wall blue, crystal clear - and nil wind. :ok:

peppermint_jam
30th Jan 2008, 08:24
Perfect! See your shortly.

artyhug
30th Jan 2008, 08:28
TAF EGXJ 291636Z 291824 22015G25KT 9999 FEW012 SCT030
BECMG 1821 29015KT 7000 -RA BKN009 PROB30

On the 29th January between 1800 and 2400 the wind will average 15 knots and gust 25 knots coming from the south west. Visibility will be in excess of 10 km with few cloud at 1200 feet and scattered cloud at 3000 feet. There is a 30% probability that between 1800 and 2100 over a 2 hour period the wind will swing to west north west and abate to a steady 15 knots. Visibility will reduce to 7 km in light rain with a broken cloud layer at 900 feet.

Hope that's as clear as mud......

airsound
30th Jan 2008, 08:50
Or for 30 Jan, between 0900 and 1800hrs, wind 280º 12knots - i e not much, from the West, with unlimited visibility and a few puffy clouds at about 2500ft.

Perfick

airsound

aviate1138
30th Jan 2008, 09:38
Is there a Notam covering the event? Just checking - can't find anything......

Wish I could be there to pay my respects.

Al R
30th Jan 2008, 09:45
Weather just fine over Cott 5 minutes ago. :ok:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/cott002.jpg

Will Hung
30th Jan 2008, 12:22
One of the very best threads I have ever read on Pprune. I would have loved to have gone along myself, but only started reading the thread at about the time as the a/c doing the flypast would have been rotating ! ! I hope you go for a beer or two this afternoon.

May they RIP.

Al R
30th Jan 2008, 14:54
Thanks to Nick for the lift. The weather was crisp and bright and the Tornado got it spot on too (well done IX). I wanted to be there, but I didn't want to intrude and I hope I didn't come across as rude waiting until I left before saying goodbye.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/cott026a.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/cott027a.jpg

Roamer
30th Jan 2008, 15:06
Brilliant effort by all those involved...well done to IX Sqn....days like this make me proud to serve....not been many of them recently !

forget
30th Jan 2008, 16:39
A quick one with the four main attendees, after lunch at the Sun.

Left to Right. Sarah Bennett, Sara Goodman, Peter Tait (604 captain) and Jill Rees-Nicholls (then wife of Flt Lt Sumpter.)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/30JAN.jpg

airsound
30th Jan 2008, 17:07
I think a report is about to be on BBC East Midlands Today, 1830. If that's not your local Beeb, you can find it on Sky satellite channel 980

airsound

Al R
30th Jan 2008, 18:03
This is a link to the afternoon report, I think you have to run it in media player. If it doesn't work, PM me and I can send the link via e-mail or failing that, go to bbc.co.uk and search for 'Vulcan' under news. Tonight's piece should be available soon too, under the 'view again' system.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7210000/newsid_7218300/7218362.stm?

peppermint_jam
30th Jan 2008, 18:06
I sit here trying to find the words to sum up today's proceedings, it simply couldn't have gone better. It was both an honour and a privilege to meet the families of the Aircrew lost that day forty years ago and for Peter Tait to be there, simply put the icing on the cake.

IX(B) Sqn circa 1963, Flt Lt Al Bennett is standing on the rear row, fifth from the right. (Crown copyright)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/robstuff/MAR_08_0042_OUT_UNCLASS_003.jpg

IX(B) Sqn flypast, Some 40 years later......

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/robstuff/DPP_34.jpg

My heartfelt thanks go out to all who made this day possible, IX(B) Sqn, both Aircrew for flying and groundcrew for generating the aircraft. Most of all to the people who attended, some of who travelled from as far as London, Hampshire and Newcastle to be there today.

Oh, and thanks for the weather big man! :D

P_J

emmagillett
30th Jan 2008, 20:17
Dearest Sarah

As I’m sure you know, today is the 40th anniversary of the crash. My love and thoughts are with you and all the others lost in, or bereaved by, this crash.

Peter Tait has arranged a service to remember the servicemen who were killed in the crash, and my mother Jeniffer has had a Mass said at her church in their memory too. Peter and my father, Mike Gillett, were the two who survived the crash.

Mum and I were talking about it on the phone tonight and she remembered going round to your parents’ house after it happened with me in the pram and nursing you because you were only 10 days old and couldn’t settle.

Do get in contact with them (or me!). You can find them at [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]www.britanniahouse.org (http://www.britanniahouse.org/)

I’ve never met you (not since we were tiny, anyway) but I really do send you all my love.

Emma Gillett

emmagillett
30th Jan 2008, 20:32
Hi Sarah and Sara

Just read through the whole thread and realise that most of what I wrote is irrelevant. At any rate, do please e-mail me!

I found the thread really moving and read some of it to Mum. Thank you so much for starting it and all the contributions.

Love, Emma

Jimmy Macintosh
30th Jan 2008, 21:09
Absolutely amazing, just lost for words as to how excellent this thread has been. I'm just stunned at how everything came together, the photo of the legacy of 604 and the fly past were icing on the cake.

Fantastic job to all involved.

Algy
31st Jan 2008, 07:47
A wonderful day with some terrific aviation folks of all sorts of backgrounds (http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/unusual-attitude/2008/01/that-vulcan-again-two-ladies-a.html), and I think a couple of people at least who have now become aviation folks. A huge thanks to everybody concerned.

A2QFI
31st Jan 2008, 16:14
Just over a year, from a simple query to a fantastic meeting and reunion of people involved in or interested in the events of 30th January 1968. Truly an example of what Pprune in particular, and the internet in general, can achieve.

Tigs2
31st Jan 2008, 16:33
Algy

Nice article thanks. I imagine it must have been quite an emotional day.

Vortex what...ouch!
31st Jan 2008, 16:45
Superb effort by all, it does truly show We Will Remember Them. I seem to have got some dust in my eye.

grimfixer
1st Feb 2008, 06:31
That dust seems to get everywhere........top job guys. Best thing I have seen come out of Pprune. :ok:

wiggy
1st Feb 2008, 15:09
To IX Sqn and batman01 - well done guys, well done.:ok::ok:

Zoom
1st Feb 2008, 16:05
Stupendous and emotional. Congratulations to all involved.

kokpit
1st Feb 2008, 18:26
Wonderful.

I'm so pleased for all concerned, and wanted to express my thanks to all involved on IX Sqn, in what looked to be such a memorable event :ok:

Green Flash
1st Feb 2008, 22:01
And a :ok: for Danny for allowing Pprune to bring together all these good people. I hope it gives him a good feeling and is a nice antidote to some of the digital napalm occaisionally dropped in this forum. Thanks Danny.

flipflopman RB199
1st Feb 2008, 23:04
I'd simply like to say thank you to all concerned with this event.

For my own part, I'd like to convey my heartfelt thanks for allowing me to attend, and also say what a privilege and honour it felt to be there to remember fallen comrades.

I must admit, even I had a tear in my eye as the Tornado climbed away into the air, almost as if the crew of '604 were with them.

Humble thanks again, for allowing me to pay my respects to a fine band of men.

Flipflopman

Danny
6th Feb 2008, 11:26
I'm just very grateful that you have all managed to get together through the auspices of PPRuNe and remembered those who have given their lives whilst serving our country. It is a very moving story and one which I am as proud of as I am sure those of you who did so much more are.

I hope that should you have any more reunions in the future that I may be able to come along and meet you all. Just happy to have been of service.

peppermint_jam
30th Jan 2009, 08:14
Sarah, sara and all, thinking of you today.

41 years and not forgotton.

Rest in Peace.

SarBen
30th Jan 2009, 08:36
Many thanks
Sarah

PS How very different the weather is today compared to what we were graced with this time last year!

herkman
30th Jan 2009, 20:15
Dear Sarah, the dust seems to have made it down to here in Australia, I feel something in my eye.

As an ex RAAF aircrew member, I too share the sorrow of these sad events, and wish there was a way of reversing all these sorts of events.

As I have said before the bravery of those who chose to fly, in no way up stages the bravery of our ladies, who stay at home and pray that fate will not come knocking on your door.

I as my father would have said "I dips my lid to you all."

Another sad note to close on, shame your man was not with you, to see the lovely lady you have grown into. A lady dare I say any man would be proud to have on his arm.

May God bless you all.

Regards and thoughts from down here

Col

Centreline747
30th Jan 2009, 21:07
Sarah and all

A very moving thread.
Thoughts are with you all from the comfort of a commercial seat.

Rgds

CL747

Capt Crusty
30th Apr 2009, 14:04
Sarah, Al was our nav radar from 1966 to 1968, and I remember very well 'the day'. I am very keen to make contact with you and would welcome any assistance from anyone to do that. I presently live in Australia.

I learned about this thread from the IX Squadron Association magazine today.

Turbo542
11th Jun 2009, 12:50
Robert Jackson's book "AVRO Vulcan". A contibuter to the book complete with pics was one late AVM Ron Dick, He told me what he supplied to Jackson was not what was published. He refers to NEAF Bomber Wing trip to New Zealand.Page 145 shows the shadow of XH562 flying over the Kingston Flier a narrow gauge railway loco outside of Queentown Sth Island.
Ron was playing cat & mouse with the flier, then finally sapped it. The flight was to show the flag over South Island.That night back at RNZAF Ohakea he recd. a cable for the driver,'Your aeroplane is beautiful but you have a fly spot on your wing. This was the begining of a friendship with the loco driver Russell Glendening. Later Ron when visiting NZ called on Russell. He said "We have never met but we have been very close", Russell replied in his NZ accent "You are that bloody Vulcan pilot".
Russell was upset when we told him Ron had passed away.
Another picture is the Crew Chief Bill Pearsey supposedly seeing the KIWI superimposed on the roundel. He was P.O. awaiting for the crew for the return leg.
I know it is 25 years since the book was published-- he was the first to do it.
Turbo542

Tankertrashnav
29th Jun 2009, 12:08
Thought you'd all like to know that Sarah Bennett who started the thread will be attending the reunion at Newark next year www.vforcereunion.co.uk (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk) . I hope that anyone who remembers her father Al Bennett and who is attending the reunion will make themselves known to her before the event, as it would be nice for her to meet up with them and have a chat over the weekend.

lenny578
28th Jul 2009, 13:27
Hi, I am trying to locate someone who knew my father as well, Vernon Burkard, who was on the XM601 Vulcan and died in a crash on October 7th 1964 at Coningsby. If anyone remembers him or knew him please reply, I would be very grateful.
Thanks Jane

vulcan50
30th Jul 2009, 18:19
Jane
I remember your Dad well - we were on the same crew but I didn't fly with them on the fateful night.
Do email me: [email protected]
Nigel Baldwin

Nav Rad
27th Aug 2009, 09:44
Sarah

I saw the East Midlands TV programme re your father but have only just discovered this site. Yes I knew Al. In fact I last spoke to him as he walked out of Ops Block to fly on that fatal day. If you wish anymore info please e-mail me.

'Tony' Wright

Nav Rad
7th Nov 2009, 15:55
Yes. I'll be there. It was good to meet up with a number of old faces at the last Reunion.

K4290894
24th Mar 2010, 12:16
I do not know what made me think of this today, but I did.

I was at Cottesmore at 13.00 hrs on January 30th 1968 when it crashed near Exton.

I was on guard then from late that afternoon and through the night.

I actually was also a member of the honour guard at the funeral of the 4 crew who died.

jesterfari
2nd May 2010, 11:38
Hello. I'm new to this site today. Sitting here, perched on the edge of old RAF Docking in Norfolk, I was just thinking about the crash of the B2 Vulcan, at Cottesmore (I didn't know which aircraft it was) back in 1968, when I was a 14 year old in Leicester (Evington). Later, in 1972 as a junior serving police officer of the Leicestershire Constabulary, I was told a bit more by older guys who had been at the incident.
I was surprised, and saddened by the omission of this tragedy in the Wikepedia listing of accidents and incidents, allegedly relating to these aircraft. Perhaps, even though 'Wik' isn't necessarily everyone's favourite, it is commonly used by many as a starting point to research old memories, facts etc. Not everyone digs deeper, and I was gratified to find THIS site and thread, and see how much more inormation was here. It seemed particularly important to me that so many people were able to share real feelings and support with the family of one of these brave men.

Although I realise, of course, this thread has been going some time !! ...Perhaps someone could edit the Wikipedia article on the Vulcan type, and put the event of XM604 into another part of the public domain. These men will never be forgotten anyway, but at least this incident will be made known to others who may not read beyond that source of information.
Special thoughts to Sarah Bennett and family.

Algy
31st Jan 2013, 22:44
A day late, but just checking in to see how all the "class of 2008" are doing? Surprised to find myself unexpectedly back in the military world after 30 or so years, well, on the fringes anyway, with Airbus Military. Hope everyone else is well.

peppermint_jam
1st Feb 2013, 07:33
It's been 5 years already! Crumbs...

To add a little more to this story, Sarah came to the IX(B) Sqn association reunion back in 2009 and met up with a couple of surviving members of her dad's Vulcan crew, one of whom (Captain Crusty above)made the journey from Australia with his wife to be there.

It was a memorable weekend! Also amusing to hear them all poking fun at the junior squadron, banter never stops I guess!

I may have the odd photo somewhere....

MSum
20th Oct 2017, 11:27
Hi All,
The 50th anniversary of the accident is approaching and my family have started planning to remember my uncle and the rest of the crew that died, I’m sure their families and friends will also be thinking the same so it would be good if you can contact me to discuss.
Thanks
Matt Sumpter.

Jerry Atrick
31st Jan 2018, 12:47
Just stumbled across this thread. Did anything happen yesterday?

Simon Horner
14th Nov 2018, 08:59
Sarah.
I have just come across your post. I was at navigation school with your dad 1962 to 63. I remember him well. In fact I could see him now in full uniform with his hat on. I suppose what really impressed me was that I played football but your dad was so much better than all of us .For a big man he had a wonderful shimmy. I also was a navigator radar on Vulcans at Scampton
Regards Simon