PDA

View Full Version : Military helicopters collide (RAF Shawbury)

G-CPTN
10th Jan 2007, 15:04
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1246868,00.html?f=dta
Two RAF training helicopters have crashed after colliding in mid-air, the Ministry of Defence has said.
The Squirrel aircraft from RAF Shawbury, which normally carry two people each, came down at Tern Hill, near Shawbury, Shropshire.
An MoD spokesman said rescue services were on site but added it was not known how many people were on board the helicopters or the extent of injuries.
BBC reporting one fatality.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3061023#post3061023

Sudden Stop
10th Jan 2007, 17:09
Just watching bbc news, and reports of a collision between two squirrels.

Thoughts are with the families.

Sudden Stop
10th Jan 2007, 17:13
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/6249259.stm

Plodin Along
10th Jan 2007, 17:16
last updated: Wednesday 10 January 2007, 18:00pm
RAF helicopters collide over Shropshire
One man was killed and three more injured when two RAF training helicopters collided in mid-air above Shropshire.
The helicopters, both carrying two people, were single-engine trainers called Squirrels, used to instruct pilots in the RAF, army and navy.
The crash happened over the Royal Air Force's Ternhill airbase near Market Drayton, Shropshire.
An MoD spokesman said: 'We can confirm that two Squirrel aircraft from RAF Shawbury collided at the relief landing ground at Ternhill, Shropshire. Rescue services are on site.'
One of the helicopters was based at the RAF's Central Flying School and the other at No 660 Squadron, located at the Defence Helicopter Flying school at RAF Shawbury in Shropshire.
The wreckage of the helicopters was visible lying in a field less than half a mile off the main A41 between Market Drayton and Newport.

Spiritrider
10th Jan 2007, 17:24
Having been one of those through the portals of RAF Shawbury in the 80s, I was very saddened to hear this news, especially coming so soon after the tragic loss of life in Morecombe Bay. Just would like to add my condolences for the loss of yet another experienced aviator - I hope the others injured make speedy recoveries.

RIP

CareBear
10th Jan 2007, 17:52
I spent 4 years instructing at Shawbury in the late 80's/early 90's so will almost certainly know some of those involved.
Deepest condolences.......there but for the grace of God etc

SARREMF
10th Jan 2007, 18:57
Chaps,

Be very careful. The news pictures show 2 Squirrels on their side. One of you has attributed the crash to CFS and 60 Sqn - 60 Sqn fly the Bell 412 or griffin and it was not a Griffin on its side!

I suspect whatever news put this out might have meant 660Sqn but lets wait for the official release.

Whirlygig
10th Jan 2007, 19:40
The BBC news article states 660 Squadron.

As with the Morecambe Bay tragedy, my thoughts are with the families, friends and colleagues of the deceased and I wish a speedy recovery to those three injured.

Whirls

swordfling
10th Jan 2007, 21:58
MOD Defence News reports: "One helicopter was from the Central Flying School (Helicopters) and the other from 660 Squadron, one of the training Squadrons at the Defence Helicopter Flying School."
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/TrainingAndAdventure/SquirrelHelicoptersInMidairCollisionAtRafTernHill.htm

Thoughts are with all those involved.

TheMonk
11th Jan 2007, 03:03
MOD Defence News reports:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/TrainingAndAdventure/SquirrelHelicoptersInMidairCollisionAtRafTernHill.htm
Thoughts are with all those involved.

Thoughts and prayers... Speedy recovery to the survivers.

Monk

Skidkid
11th Jan 2007, 08:41
STATEMENT BY THE STATION COMMANDER RAF SHAWBURY
– GROUP CAPTAIN PAUL CUNNINGHAM BSc RAF

FOLLOWING MY ANNOUNCEMENT YESTERDAY. I CAN CONFIRM THAT THE CRASH SITE HAS BEEN SECURED AND A BOARD OF INQUIRY SET UP TO INVESTIGATE THE CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING THE TRAGIC ACCIDENT INVOLVING THE TWO SQUIRREL AIRCRAFT AT RAF TERN HILL.

THE BOARD MEMBERS WILL VISIT THE SITE AND BE BRIEFED BY THE ACCIDENT RECOVERY OFFICER. ONCE ALL THE EVIDENCE HAS BEEN REVIEWED, THE BOARD OF INQUIRY WILL REPORT THEIR FINDINGS ON THE CAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT AND THE MINISTRY OF DEFENCE WILL PUBLISH THESE IN DUE COURSE.

SADLY MR JOHN GARNONS-WILLIAMS, A CIVILIAN PILOT EMPLOYED BY F B HELI-SERVICES, DIED IN THE CRASH AND OUR CONDOLENCES ARE WITH HIS WIFE AND FAMILY AT THIS TIME. OUR SUPPORT IS ALSO WITH THE OTHER PILOTS INVOLVED (1 ROYAL NAVY AND 2 RAF) AND THEIR FAMILIES AND WE WISH THEM A SPEEDY RECOVERY.

WE ALSO THANK THE EMERGENCY SERVICES AND THE AIR AMBULANCE FOR THEIR RAPID RESPONSE AND PROFESSIONALISM IN SUPPORT OF RESCUE OPERATIONS.

110800 JAN 07

Whirlygig
11th Jan 2007, 08:57
I used to know a cartographer called John Garnons Williams. Can anyone please confirm or deny whether it's the same person? Thank you.

Cheers

Whirls

Update - I found this link which states that JGW was a SAR helicopter pilot (I didn't know that about him!!!). Now I feel doubly sad because he was a very talented man.

http://www.gwp.enta.net/shipmap.htm

ShyTorque
11th Jan 2007, 10:29
Whirls, it was the same man. I now recall that after JGW retired from the RAF he went into business; the last time I met John he was explaining about his hopes for the future in that respect. I was unaware he had returned to fly at DHFS until today when an ex-RAF colleague informed me.

Very sad day.

idle stop
11th Jan 2007, 11:12
John G-W was truly a scholar and a gentleman in every respect.
He was a fellow QHI and my 'Boss' for a period at Shawbury. After retiring from the RAF he worked on his genealogy and cartography business, and flew as a RAFVR officer with the AEF, then went back to R/W as a contractor's QHI when DHFS was set up. He officially 'retired' from FBHeliservices towards the end of last year, then returned on a new contract.
RIP; my thoughts are with his family, and with the injured and their families also.

snoopy1
11th Jan 2007, 14:04
On behalf of and as a close family member of Capt. Steve Potton, we just wanted to say our thoughts and sympathy are with all families involved in this dreadful accident.

God bless.

cyclicmick
11th Jan 2007, 17:21
Fond memories of Tern Hill from 'doing' CFS in the 80's. Didn't know JGW, my loss from what I have read. Condolences to his family and God speed for a complete recovery to those injured. Off to re-read High Flight.

starshiptrooper
11th Jan 2007, 21:38
JGW was my instructor at Shawbury and was a truly amazing QHI, knew every trick in the book to teach many a struggling student through his course. He was also responsible for teaching many of the presonnel who run the RAF today !

RIP

Skidkid
11th Jan 2007, 22:05
Many, many more tributes are being posted at:

Heliport
14th Jan 2007, 20:15
Has anyone any more info on this unfortunate event?
Like what?

A highly respected and popular man lost his life.
Some people might regard that as more than "unfortunate".

nigelh
14th Jan 2007, 22:46
Hilock you really should take the H out and replace with a P.

Johe02
15th Jan 2007, 09:25
Only 3 posts from Hilock so I'm guessing he's not aware you're not allowed to ask questions like that on this forum anymore. The 'wait for the AIB report' culture dominates.

I'm surprised at you Heliport. Many of my friends have been killed in the past but I would like to think I didn't inflict my grief on unsuspecting passers by. .

Condolences to all . .

Whirlygig
15th Jan 2007, 09:28
but I would like to think I didn't inflict my grief on unsuspecting passers by. .

..and nobody would think any the less of you if you did.

Cheers

Whirls

Jerry English
19th Feb 2007, 14:30
There will be a thanksgiving service to celebrate the life of
John Garnons Williams at Shrewsbury School Chapel, Shrewsbury, Shropshire on Saturday 24th March 2007,
at 2:30 p.m. followed by refreshments

For directions click here (http://www.shrewsbury.org.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=contact.content&cmid=137)

ivakontrol
7th Nov 2008, 18:34
Having read the report I am suprised that ATC were not brought to task.

When B48 asked ATC if Area Left was serviceable their reply should have included 'yes, but be aware that C22 is also using it'.

It might have helped with establishing a better situation awareness for both instructors and crew, particularly B48.