PDA

View Full Version : Rough weather at BHD

frequentflyer2
10th Jan 2007, 12:26
I tried this query on airlines, airports and routes but I think I was using the wrong forum so I'll try passengers and slf instead.
Recently, during particularly stormy weather one early morning in Belfast I had a look at BHD departures and arrivals on the airport's website.
The first bmi flight from Heathrow (an A320) had been diverted to BFS but the Aer Arran ATR from Cork landed more or less as scheduled.
Some Flybe services operated by Dash 8-400's were cancelled but others continued to operate.
This is probably an anorakish thing to ask but why would an A320 have more difficulty getting in to BHD in gales than an ATR?
Why were Dash 8-400's able to operate while others remained on the ground?
Is it really up to each individual pilot to make the decision?
It was very windy but as a passenger I've landed and taken off at BHD in similar conditions.

Captain Smithy
10th Jan 2007, 12:34
I tried this query on airlines, airports and routes but I think I was using the wrong forum so I'll try passengers and slf instead.
Recently, during particularly stormy weather one early morning in Belfast I had a look at BHD departures and arrivals on the airport's website.
The first bmi flight from Heathrow (an A320) had been diverted to BFS but the Aer Arran ATR from Cork landed more or less as scheduled.
Some Flybe services operated by Dash 8-400's were cancelled but others continued to operate.
This is probably an anorakish thing to ask but why would an A320 have more difficulty getting in to BHD in gales than an ATR?
Why were Dash 8-400's able to operate while others remained on the ground?
Is it really up to each individual pilot to make the decision?
It was very windy but as a passenger I've landed and taken off at BHD in similar conditions.

The main factor is pilot's discretion. If the pilot feels he's out of his limits, or he's had to perform a missed approach/went around a couple of times to no avail the diversion may be considered.

Also company SOP's may come into play... although I'm not sure of this since I'm not an airline pilot (airline jocks feel free to correct me on this one if I'm wrong).

Cheers

Smithy

TightSlot
10th Jan 2007, 13:34
In addition to the variations mentioned in the previous posts, different aircraft types will have different limitations affecting their performance: For example, based on the information shown in your post, jet aircraft were diverting, whereas turboprop aircraft were not.

Weather conditions will also vary from one approach to another, and also within the same approach.

Without monitoring each individual flight, it is difficult to know the precise reasons for decisions taken: It really is up to each pilot, within the established boundaries for each approach, and I'm absolutely relaxed about that - it's as it should be.

Hope this helps...

eastern wiseguy
11th Jan 2007, 12:27
A320 have more difficulty getting in to BHD in gales than an ATR
Not a pilot...but a BFS Atco.....A320 is considerably heavier than a Dash 8 Runway22/04 at BHD is a LOT shorter than 25/07 at BFS ergo it would seem it would be easier to stop on a LONGER runway?(not to mention 17/35 which might have been into wind.) Maybe "Keep it Lit" can assist?

SelectMgt
14th Jan 2007, 18:37
Not a pilot...but a BFS Atco.....A320 is considerably heavier than a Dash 8 Runway22/04 at BHD is a LOT shorter than 25/07 at BFS ergo it would seem it would be easier to stop on a LONGER runway?(not to mention 17/35 which might have been into wind.) Maybe "Keep it Lit" can assist?

Is 17/35 not already closed? BFS is going to become single ops mainly due to cost (alot more expensive to operate two runways) but also to aid land for expansion of terminals.

JobsaGoodun
14th Jan 2007, 21:09
I may be way off the mark but I've always believed (stand to be corrected) that aircraft with a high wing (ie) Q400, ATR, 146 are typically more stable in crosswinds than those aircraft with low wings 320,737,195

This could have been the reason why. To my knowledge Flybe had no diversions during this time at BHD, Q400 or 146

eastern wiseguy
14th Jan 2007, 21:49
Is 17/35 not already closed? BFS is going to become single ops mainly due to cost (alot more expensive to operate two runways) but also to aid land for expansion of terminals.
No it is open and serviceable....;)

Mind you there have been whispers......:)

towser
14th Jan 2007, 22:22
This might be more to do with whether or not the aircraft concerned are fitted with windshear warning equipment or not. If the warning goes off you have no choice but to go around , if its not fitted (atr doesn't have it assume dash 400 same) it cant go off and then its up to the pilot!

WHBM
15th Jan 2007, 07:19
I may be way off the mark but I've always believed (stand to be corrected) that aircraft with a high wing (ie) Q400, ATR, 146 are typically more stable in crosswinds than those aircraft with low wings 320,737,195
If so it would be the reverse of what is experienced in light aircraft, where a Cessna (high wing) is notably more active in roll during a windy approach than a Piper (low wing) is. Seems to apply to each manufacturer's whole range.

Maude Charlee
15th Jan 2007, 17:02
Maybe the big boys are more worried about sudden turbulence leaving them with a lap full of hot tea - us TP boys only get cold water.

:}