PDA

View Full Version : Access Database Relationship Problem

Oxeagle
10th Jan 2007, 09:57
Another Access question! Within my database I have three tables (customers, products and staff). The fields in these tables are all formatted as 'text' apart from the ID field (the primary key), which is formatted as 'AutoNumber'. There is a fourth table (orders) which take data from all three tables in the form of drop-down menus/lookups. The problem is, when I use the Lookup Wizard to create these drop down menus it automatically changes the field format from 'Text' to 'Number/Long Integer', and doesn't let me change it back to 'Text'. This presents a problem as the data has to be in the same format in all of the tables.

Does anyone know how to change the format back to 'text' without destroying the relationships?

Thanks,

Ox

ZH875
11th Jan 2007, 21:00
IIRC the lookup table will use a 'Number/Long Integer' to populate the table, as it is not actually storing the information that you enter in the other tables. So this should not be a problem.

The question is why are you using a fourth table at all. If you have the data in three other tables, a form will quite happily display the data correctly without referring to another table.

As usual I will point you in the direction of http://www.accessmonster.com/ where you may find the answer you want.

Regards

ZH