PDA

View Full Version : The sanitisation of the Military Aircrew Forum

Roghead
10th Jan 2007, 09:56
Aviation forums
Server totally overloaded
Aviation threads stayed - our choice. PPRuNe's worth exactly what you'd paid for it. We don't do PM's we have 130,000+ registered users to look after while flying the line. Secondary duties you see.
Don't like it? Vote hard with your feet. The service will improve for the rest. We choose to run an aviation forum for military folk. It's your choice whether you come or not. It's our choice what apears because we are paying for it not you. It really is that simple.
Regards
Rob
However, it's rather sad that you seem to have lost the mood of the posters here. A large percentage express a view which is not MOD approved, nor Government friendly.... in fact it rather mirrors the typical exchange I remember in the crew room. I feel that if you persist in this sanitisation of the Military Aircrew Forum, you will be left with a routine aviation forum only fit for schoolboy spotters.
Cheers you all, I'm off to Rum Ration and Aarse who provide provocative current affairs threads on a military theme.:=

threepointonefour
10th Jan 2007, 10:02
Let's all leave !!!!!!

MostlyHarmless
10th Jan 2007, 10:37
Agree with RogHead, although:
It's our choice what apears because we are paying for it not you.
So 49K uniques a day with Google AdWords and banners doesn't turn a profit on what is evidently a pretty low-spec dedi? Something wrong here...

airborne_artist
10th Jan 2007, 10:48
It's our choice what appears because we are paying for it not you.

So whose money paid for my moniker on the left? :rolleyes:

The Gorilla
10th Jan 2007, 11:04
And mine!! :=

flipster
10th Jan 2007, 11:06
I have every sympathy with the owners/mods of this site. It provides a (mostly) free service. While I suspect they get a few 'beer vouchers' for their troubles, it must be quite time-consuming and not a little distracting from their outside lives. Nonethless, they would wish their 'service' to continue for a plethora of reasons, not least of which is the fact that this site is becoming more and more popular. I am also sure that some 'higher-level' people would wish the site were shut down. Therefore, the the mods must walk a thin line between allowing genuine discussion or banter and barring some more sinister/objectionable debate. They assure me that they don't get 'lent on', nor do they get visits from the 'black mariahs'......yet! But the thought must be there for them.

Personally, I feel we are lucky to get such a free-hand in this day of our current 'big-brother government'. If we are to stay a self-moderating site we should expect our mods to occasionally pull out the yellow card. In the main, the mods have my support.

Flipster

ps If anyone were to seriously consider a 'coup' - two things come to mind:
1. The military top brass can't run the military, let alone the country!
2. Discussions on a public forum might give the game away a bit!!!!!!!

ProfessionalStudent
10th Jan 2007, 11:12
Come on Flipster. We'd never discuss the REAL coup plans on an open forum.
That would be silly. After all, the fact there's going to be a coup at all is really very secret indeed...

prometheusracer
10th Jan 2007, 11:13
I'd understand deleting long, old, obsolete threads if the server was actually overloaded. However, the threads deleted, long possibly, but old and obsolete they definately were not.

Such censorship is not good, diplomatic, or indead right. People really feel the way they do, and to not allow them to express those feelings is the most inhuman act I have seen on these forums.

Yes, this forum used to provide a valuable service, creating a platform for air and grond crew of the world to meet and discuss relevant topics. Nothing here is irrelevant. There was no mass breakage of rules.

Besides, if I have correctly guessed the true reason for certain threads being removed, treason is a crime against country or queen. The government are presently neither, and as such a coup would not constitute treason in any democratic and aware court.

...and to think I was about to donate a significant sum to pprune.

Auf weidersen, Matt

flipster
10th Jan 2007, 11:13
Absolutely! -
Up the Revolution Brothers.......doh!

A bigger server might be good idea, tho'?

Always_broken_in_wilts
10th Jan 2007, 11:27
There also seems to be no ryme nor reason for the threads being pulled as I for one was looking forward to challenging Westy and Senseless to explain the similarity and therefore justification between the hooligans in Gib putting down known terrorists with absolutley no collateral what so ever and an AC130 taking out a grid square in Somalia:ugh:

Still don't suppose I will get to ask that question now :E

Mr-AEO
10th Jan 2007, 14:30
My thoughts exactly ABIW:ok:

PS - I think you just did ask the question, trouble is, you'll get this thread locked now:suspect:

Back OT. I use another few forums, one of which I pay for and admin myself. I apologise for the criticism of PP, but we don't delete new posts to make the server run better - rather we get rid of the dross, clear out people's redundant accounts and sort the mySQL database out. It is constant housekeeping. Plus we ask that big pictures are not posted and linked instead. No animated sigs, all that stuff grinds the server to a halt.
Also, the cost of the server is in the hosting of web based gaming, a small percentage is actually required to support the forums.

An Annual PP membership of a few quid may help with funding whilst still being cheap as chips. Just a thought.