PDA

View Full Version : The iPhone is here!!!!

OneWorld22
9th Jan 2007, 19:30
:eek: :eek:

http://images.apple.com/iphone/images/techhero_specs20070109.jpg

Screen size 3.5 inches
Screen resolution 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
Input method Multi-touch
Operating system OS X
Storage 4GB or 8GB
GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
Wireless data Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
Camera 2.0 megapixels
Battery
Up to 5 hoursTalk / Video / Browsing
Up to 16 hoursAudio playback
Dimensions 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
Weight 4.8 ounces / 135 grams

Available June. US$599 for the 8 GB version

Check it out

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Safari browser, Mac Mail and look at how you'll text!

I WANT ONE NOW!!! :D

Saab Dastard
9th Jan 2007, 21:58
This year's most nicked accessory, I suspect! :}

SD

Keef
9th Jan 2007, 22:42
's just an oversize mobile phone, innit? My V3 does most of that except the big screen size - but it fits into my pocket and is tiny when not in use. It also cost a lot less.

Ah - but this is Apple, innit - a sort of cult thing.

innuendo
10th Jan 2007, 01:48
"Available June. US$599 for the 8 GB version"

In the USA, a bit later for the rest of the world I believe.

vapilot2004
10th Jan 2007, 08:18
The iPhone will be only distributed in the states by Cingulair. Typical.

Binoculars
10th Jan 2007, 08:41
Great. Another indispensable widget for our vacuous youth.

Btw, can you make phone calls on it? :hmm:

ORAC
10th Jan 2007, 08:48
MP3 player, large colour screen, Wi-fi, Bluetooth = **** all battery life.
Great toy for the geeks, just give me a phone that I can use use for a decent amount of time without having to carry a recharger around.

BEagle
10th Jan 2007, 09:15
Agreed, ORAC.

Having manged to knacker my trusty Nokia 6310i recently, I was dreading having to get one of the new toy phones with lots of things I neither need nor want. I do NOT want FM radio, a camera, photos, silly ring tones or videoclip displays. Although digi-yoof obviously does.

Fortunately eBay came up trumps and I manged to get a brand-new 6310i delivered to my front door less than 24 hours after ordering it! Excellent triband phone, the battery lasts for days between charges and it does all that I want a phone to do - allows me to make speech calls, text messages and download the odd TAF and METAR.

OneWorld22
10th Jan 2007, 09:35
Bloody luddites....

ChocksAwayUK
10th Jan 2007, 13:18
I'm amazed they managed to keep it secret right up until the announcement despite all the months of speculation. The R&D that must have gone into that thing is huge.
It'll be massive. It doesn't really do much that other high end phones don't but it completely rewrites the way it is done. (Check the demo vids on the apple site). I'm someone who just wants a decent phone that works well(no need for camera, mp3 player, calendar etc) but when it integrates everything so well like this why carry an mp3 player and a phone around. And the small matter of having OS X in your pockets. Imagine all the useful widgets that will really come into their own 'on the hoof'.
I couple of reservations I'd like to see addressed first. Battery life of course. (though I could live with putting it in a syncing/charging dock whenever I'm home - I know many coudn't) And general ergonomic factors like the practicality of the touch screen - apple usually don't dissappoint, but we'll see.

Saab Dastard
10th Jan 2007, 16:43
BEagle
Good to hear about another devotee of the venerable 6310 - I've resolutely refused to hand in my trusty work 6310 for the ***p devices that are the current corporate standard!

How much did your replacement cost on ebay, btw?

Luddite perhaps, but I've never, ever had a flat battery in 4 years with this phone!

Cheers,

SD

IO540
10th Jan 2007, 19:34
I use the 6310i also - have the car kit for it and no newer phones work in that.

You can buy brand new 6310i phones from here (http://www.nokia6310i.co.uk/).

There is a strong corporate demand for it.

BDiONU
10th Jan 2007, 19:43
How much did your replacement cost on ebay, btw?
£80 refurbished £110 new (http://www.executivetools.co.uk/store/default.asp) Cheaper on ebay though.

BD

BDiONU
10th Jan 2007, 19:46
It doesn't really do much that other high end phones don't but it completely rewrites the way it is done. (Check the demo vids on the apple site). I'm someone who just wants a decent phone that works well(no need for camera, mp3 player, calendar etc) but when it integrates everything so well like this why carry an mp3 player and a phone around. And the small matter of having OS X in your pockets. Imagine all the useful widgets that will really come into their own 'on the hoof'.
A good example of convergence, eventually everything will be incorporated on a single device but it all takes time, in part due to public acceptance.

BD

Clarence Oveur
10th Jan 2007, 20:22
The iPhone has actually been here for some time now.

Cisco made the first iPhone in 1997.

Last year an updated model was released.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cc/Linksys_iphone.jpg

I see trademark issues here that might cost Apple Inc. a pretty penny.

vapilot2004
10th Jan 2007, 23:08
The iPhone has actually been here for some time now.
Cisco made the first iPhone in 1997.
Last year an updated model was released.
I see trademark issues here that might cost Apple Inc. a pretty penny.

Indeed......

SAN FRANCISCO -- Cisco Systems sued Apple Inc. in federal court Wednesday, saying the computer maker's new iPhone violates its trademark.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, came just a day after Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the Apple iPhone in dramatic fashion at a trade show in San Francisco.

But even while Jobs was trumpeting the product during his keynote address to Apple faithful, the matter of the product's naming had not been resolved behind the scenes between two of the biggest names in Silicon Valley.

San Jose-based Cisco, the world's largest network-equipment maker, has owned the trademark on the name "iPhone" since 2000, when it acquired InfoGear Technology Corp., which originally registered the name.

And three weeks ago, Cisco's Linksys division put the trademark to use, releasing an Internet phone called "iPhone" that uses the increasingly popular Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP.

But on Tuesday, Jobs unveiled Apple's own iPhone, a "game-changing" touch-screen-controlled cell phone device that plays music, surfs the Web and delivers voicemail and e-mail.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris said she could not immediately comment on the lawsuit.

Cisco said Tuesday it had been negotiating for several years with Apple over a licensing agreement, but that Apple lawyers had not signed and returned the final contract.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice president and general counsel, in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Cisco is seeking injunctive relief to prevent Apple from copying Cisco's iPhone trademark.

"Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," Chandler added.

Jimmy Macintosh
10th Jan 2007, 23:26
There had been rumours about a widescreen ipod coming out but it had issues with the click wheel. So it looks like they've changed the interface and incorporated everything that they could think of in it! I wanted the widescreen ipod, not convinced I want the phone side of it...but the battery life can't be too bad, the video ipods hold up pretty well, my nano lasts a continuous work day of use, 10 hours of music or two days worth of radio.
I'm seriously tempted to get it for the portable video device alone, finally a screen that is watchable.

BEagle
11th Jan 2007, 01:53
Saab Dastard, I paid about £120 incl. p&p (special delivery) for my new Nokia 6310i.

I note a lot of business people still swear by it, both here and in Germany.

Clearly a demand which Nokia no longer satisfy themselves. I also have the car kit and it works very well indeed - although it isn't actually as good as the original kit for my Nokia 2110 was 10 years ago!

Sorry folks, but you can keep your flashy digi-yoof toys. Nokia should have updated their 6310i, not abandoned the sector completely in favour of the kiddie phones of today.

BDiONU
11th Jan 2007, 08:28
Nokia should have updated their 6310i, not abandoned the sector completely in favour of the kiddie phones of today.
But there are still lots of basic Nokia's being produced. My wife uses the 6230i because she can take, send and receive pictures but I bought the 1101 for my parents because its very basic, SMS and phone calls only (plus its simple to operate and has large'ish buttons). :)

BD

Binoculars
11th Jan 2007, 09:16
SMS and phone calls only......
WHAT??? You mean they can't watch latest release movies on it's one and a half inch screen? Dude, that is so, like, last century! Next you'll be telling me they don't have an internet fridge. :ooh:

BombayDuck
11th Jan 2007, 10:59
its the same for the average population here (and we should know, we're the fastest growing market - one provider added 1m users in a month in November). Most - i hazard 60-70% - phones sold are the Rs. 5000 or less variety, that makes it GBP 60 or so. A large majority of those are the basic Nokia 1100, 1110 or 2300 which are monochrome. My phone for two years now has been the 2300, purchased primarily for its (sorry, Beags!) FM radio as I travel three hours a day by public transport. The other phones doing well are the 2600, 2610 and the Motoflip...

SMS is very popular here, though. Very cheap. And incoming calls are free here, unless you're roaming in another state or country.

I'd hazard that less than 0.1% of all phones in this country cost > Rs. 20,000 (GBP 250) and as for the smartphones, they are non-existent.

So Idon't really expect the iPhone to do well here, except among the top shots, and even at that level, I suspect, it will probably suffer due to Apple products having a 'geek' tag associated with them as opposed to the Blackberries and what-have-yous.

Bu-u-t.... It would make a nice birthday gift on my 25th Birthday, in 2008.

Now who on Proon is generous enough? :E

potkettleblack
11th Jan 2007, 14:47
What gets me is that they want you to pay 600USD for it and still be locked into a 2 year contract with your telephone provider! Oh and no 3G either so it just seems like an overpriced ipod that can make calls. Funniest bit was how Apple was trumpeting the touch screen ditty interface as being some new revolution that they invented. No doubt though there will be loads of idiots that will go and buy one and it will become the latest trend.

BEagle
11th Jan 2007, 15:29
Not me, that's for sure!

I dismantled my old 6310i to fit a new facia from eBay, but thought I'd knackered it totally when I'd had to saw through one of the screws which had pulled its retainer out of the housing and wouldn't release. After fitting the new facia, the phone worked OK except in the car kit when it merely whimpered rather pathetically and wouldn't recognise the car kit...

Anyway, with nothing to lose, I've just taken it to bits again and given it a thorough clean, including a blast of dry air to the base connector. Put it back together again carefully; lo and behold I now have a fully serviceable spare phone which works in the car kit as well! I can only guess that there must have been some swarf from the sawn through screw shorting out a pin or two in the base connector.

2 x Nokia 6310i will keep me going for a while - and I've also got my old Motorola Timeport T260 as a last resort.

The replacement facia from eBay wasn't quite up to Nokia quality - neither was it very easy to fit. But it's great to have a good spare phone all the same. There seems to be quite an industry of 6310i refurbishment out there on the Internet.

You can keep the kiddiephones with all their gaudy gimmicks!

aidanf
12th Jan 2007, 07:28
I've spent all of my professional life working on Macs. Long before Windows 98 came on the scene I always felt a certain amount of smugness when looking upon the pre-98 op. system. Then 98 and it's successors came along, and while it was certainly an improvement I've always believed that the Mac interface was always more user-friendly (this is just MY opinion).
Over the past few years, with mobiles becoming more and more complicated, I often find myself frustrated by the feckin' things and have always longed for Apple to come along and create one, since I knew that (if nothing else) the user interface would be a lot more intuitive.
It's come along now, and regardless of what issues anyone on here might have, I for one am delighted ... and will be getting one.
No, I'm not some apple-disciple. In my business the Macs are industry-standard and I've always felt that the Mac just seems to think the way that I do, making it easier for me to get my work done.
To the person that said Apple products were geeky :8 Hello! I was always under the impression that it was the MS suite that was supposed to be the geeky one, and that Apple stuff was supposed to be reasonably hip (again, not the reasons why I'm an advocate)
Anyway, debate on about the merits of yer Nokias and the like, but I can assure you that should you get your hands on one of these things when they land on our shores at the end of this year you may well ask yourself why hasn't it been done like this all along?
(ps - no 3G? Yup, but I think you'll find that they've leap-frogged 3G with something entirely new)

ChocksAwayUK
12th Jan 2007, 07:34
Here is a hands on demo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgW7or1TuFk&eurl=). I can't watch it myself as youtube is firewalled where I work (like what am I supposed to do all day?) but I understand that it is quite impressive.

HughMartin
12th Jan 2007, 09:49
6310 series definitely the best phone for reliability and durability. Have never had a flat battery (it just needs about 30 minutes in the car kit and endurance > 7 days. I dropped mine off a boat in Loch Lomond a few years ago (luckily in shallow water). I found it 36 hours later. I drained the water out and dried it out with a hairdrier, the phone has worked perfectly ever since.

tallsandwich
12th Jan 2007, 14:31
Very Jet Blast-ish but I couldn't resist posting this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/11/top_iphone_tips/

It's just another PDA device....yawn....

BEagle
15th Jan 2007, 07:17
Out of interest, here is the quoted battery life for a forthcoming Nokia yoof-fone with all its gadgets and gimmicks:

2.5-3.5 hours talk / 9 days standby

That's useless for a business phone! The similar figures for the 6310i were:

GSM 900/1800: 3.25 - 6 hours talk
GSM 1900: 4 - 7.5 hours talk
up to 17 days standby!

SyllogismCheck
15th Jan 2007, 08:32
I'm don't see what makes a phone such a superior business device because it has 17 days of standby time if you can still flatten the battery well inside 4 hours of talking time.

The talk time is about the same as a modern phone and, hopefully, if business is good, you'll be doing a reasonable amount of talking, not waiting 17 days for the phone to ring.

By the stated figures, if you actually use the phone, one will need charging about as frequently as the other.

Sure, if I hammer the wi-fi, applications and so on I can cause my phone to need a recharge within two days, but then I can handle documents, access the internet properly and use it to store files of up to a couple of gigs. All of which saves me lugging a laptop, which wouldn't make it beyond a couple of hours of use before running out of steam, around with me as I'd have to otherwise.

All in all, if I talk for more than a few hours a day, either a 6310 or my smartphone will need a charge every day or two. The smartphone just gives me a lot more functionality in my pocket whilst plugging in overnight or whilst in the car is no more trouble on one than the other.

It's horses for courses really but, for a certainty, if 17 days of standby came into the picture, it'd mean I were either on holiday or out of business altogether.

As for the iPhone, if they're able to use the name in the long run, I don't see what's actually new. Apart from the natty motion sensor rotating the screen format, it doesn't appear to do much, if anything, that any current smart phone won't, except possibly suffering from crippling Apple DRM issues.

Saab Dastard
15th Jan 2007, 12:04
By the stated figures, if you actually use the phone, one will need charging about as frequently as the other.

Err - one lasts twice as long as the other, so presumably would require half as many charges for the same talk time.

SD

Clarence Oveur
15th Jan 2007, 14:15
Standby time is a bit like those video recorders that can be set to record a programme 1 year in advance. It might look great in the glossy brochures, but in real life it is of little relevance.

Notice how quoted standby time is always preceded by 'up to'. More often than not, standby time is tested without the sim card installed. But they never tell you that. Anyway, most people - who actually use their phone - will charge it every 2 or 3 days anyway. The point of a 2 or 3 week standby time is then fairly irrelevant. Unless the point is that "it was much better in the old days".

potkettleblack
15th Jan 2007, 15:07
I would be loathe to use the words Apple, ipod (sorry iphone) and battery in the same sentence given past form.

SyllogismCheck
15th Jan 2007, 19:38
Err - one lasts twice as long as the other, so presumably would require half as many charges for the same talk time.
Sorry, I'll clarify. If you have a business which people contact with any regularity, you're going to charge your phone daily, based on the fact you'll be approaching the talk time limits on either phone within that day... 17 day standby time or not.

ChocksAwayUK
15th Jan 2007, 19:43
This is pretty heady stuff.