PDA

View Full Version : Aviators Map of Britain

fcbellio
9th Jan 2007, 12:48
Anyone know if there is a link, or where I can obtain a new version of the aviators map of britain. (The one with Harry Potters' bridge etc)

mbga9pgf
9th Jan 2007, 14:18
http://ccgi.piers.plus.com/ball/aircrew_map_of_uk.gifAnyone know if there is a link, or where I can obtain a new version of the aviators map of britain. (The one with Harry Potters' bridge etc)
Try www.bannedphrases.co.uk

Monty77
9th Jan 2007, 14:49
Absolutely priceless.

Last I heard, smokey joe in the Hexam valley was going to be knocked down, and surely Tintagel castle on the North Cornish coast has to be a feature, or was it too uncomfortably close to the MATZ?

Fond memories of low level between Barnstaple and St Mawgan in the summer on recovery. VFR, obviously.:)

PPRuNeUser0211
9th Jan 2007, 15:09
Monty, smokey joe's chimney (the smokey part) has gone, but there's still a big F'off quarry there that you can see for miles around. No chimney, and think the building that was attached has also gone

TurbineTooHot
9th Jan 2007, 16:52
Yep, I can confirm that Smokey Joe is now an EX chimney. Tried to use it as a waypoint last year and there it was....gone.:E

Lon More
9th Jan 2007, 19:57
Why the Bermuda Triangle E. of Dumfroes. The nuclear powerstation has gone, ICI is scaling down or is it because of Lockerbie and the Pan Am?

Talking Radalt
9th Jan 2007, 22:12
Pity about the "here be dragons" bit. Could've included helilane highlights such as "Big Brother house", "Ferris Wheel" and "Snarled up M25" if exiting towards Bagshot.

Lord Harry Flashman
10th Jan 2007, 11:52
Edtition 6 of the dictionary is due for release "VERY" soon. There are now 1000+ phrases in it. The map has not been updated however, any additions will be gratefully accepted and considered. Just use the link on the website to send an addition. Hoping to make the web site WIKKI so that you can automatically submit additions for approval, it will be a searchable database. Watch this space. Thanks for the support.
Tommy b

Cpt_Pugwash
10th Jan 2007, 13:31
Flash

If you are updating the map, perhaps you could move the image of Biggus Dickus to the south and position Smokey Joe (S) to its correct position at the RHS of its caption. Unlike its northern counterpart, it's still there and still smoking.

cheers,

Lima Juliet
10th Jan 2007, 19:57
"Chilli Lakes" = "Four Lakes" and what about Clumber Park, "the nodding donkeys" and Lindholme for those of us that remember Finningley??

Cracking chart though - have you thought about sending it to AIDU for their Xmas Bulletin cover?

LJ

Flarkey
11th Jan 2007, 12:40
Do you think we could do a google map or GoogleEarth link for each of the sites?
eg... Square Lake (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=the+wash&sll=55.979945,-2.109375&sspn=3.897881,10.140381&ie=UTF8&z=12&ll=53.440628,0.041885&spn=0.129654,0.429497&t=k&om=1)

Dan Winterland
11th Jan 2007, 13:20
Brilliant. If it had the flow arrows, it's all you need!

Cpt_Pugwash
11th Jan 2007, 13:46
Smokey Joe (South) #2 http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/86570[/URL]

and a nearby [URL="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=51n,2W&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&z=14&ll=51.3179,-2.108088&spn=0.024676,0.084801"]spot (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=51n,2W&ie=UTF8&z=14&ll=51.272763,-2.167225&spn=0.024701,0.084801&t=k&om=1) for throwing things out .....

Edited to correct duplicated URL.

Flarkey
11th Jan 2007, 15:53
Biggus Dickus (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=50.813677~-2.474842&style=h&lvl=18&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000)

Flt Lt Spry
11th Jan 2007, 20:58
Cracking chart though - have you thought about sending it to AIDU for their Xmas Bulletin cover?

After all, it's only 347 days until Christmas...

overstress
11th Jan 2007, 22:09
Lon More: Lockerbie.

Great map - reminds me of Valley Instructing.

Is it me or have Sally's tits perked up a bit North?

Lord Harry Flashman
12th Jan 2007, 09:24
Flash

If you are updating the map, perhaps you could move the image of Biggus Dickus to the south and position Smokey Joe (S) to its correct position at the RHS of its caption. Unlike its northern counterpart, it's still there and still smoking.

cheers,

I was thinking of the smokey joe at South Molton, I think it is in the correct place, i could be mistaken, is it not?

I agree that Biggus D could be moved a touch to the south but not much more.

Flarkey: Great suggestion about linking to google maps, would be good and I will do it if I can find the time, if these gales keep up, who knows!

Dan Winterland
12th Jan 2007, 10:23
Was trundling through the Lichfield corridor one day with my Arab student when London Mil asked us what our intentions were.

"Let down low level at Sally's t!ts" was the immediate answer from the front. London Mil knew exactly what he meant and we got a great service.

Flarkey
12th Jan 2007, 10:42
what exactly are sally's tits? I searched on google, and a lot of interesting :mad: things came up, but nothing to do with aviation!!!!

:ooh:

Cpt_Pugwash
12th Jan 2007, 10:56
Flash,

Noted re South Molton. I was thinking of
Westbury cement works (http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/86570) , well known to Lyneham mates and certainly used to be known as Smokey Joe. Perhaps it could be added as SJ(S) #2?

cheers,
PW

teeteringhead
12th Jan 2007, 11:58
what exactly are sally's tits? ... The Clee Hills.

Brown Clee Hill to the north and Titterstone Clee Hill to the south .... 20 and a bit miles south of Shawbury with just a touch of left (going south) ... that's pilot nav for you ;)

WhiteOvies
12th Jan 2007, 12:35
Does anyone know who Sally is/was?? A barmaid at Shawbury perhaps?:}

FormerFlake
12th Jan 2007, 12:44
... The Clee Hills.

Brown Clee Hill to the north and Titterstone Clee Hill to the south .... 20 and a bit miles south of Shawbury with just a touch of left (going south) ... that's pilot nav for you ;)

Are you sure? Clee Hill is further south than what is shown on the map.

Cpt_Pugwash
12th Jan 2007, 13:00
Sally's Tits ? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/content/image_galleries/clee_hills_gallery.shtml?14)

Possibly should be shown further south, see post #16.

Pom Pax
12th Jan 2007, 17:19
Some while ago a similar thread was running featuring "The Paps of Jura", anyway with thread creap it got round to Sally's id and various theories were put forward. Cant find the old thread

Monty77
13th Jan 2007, 18:33
Totally without foundation, and therefore appropriate. I was told as a rotary stude in the 80s that Sally's tits were the two firm geological features that resembled the anatomy of of an ATC (female) ATC person who served at Shawbury.
There was a time when Valley mates used to drive to Shawbury for Happy Hour. Why? 2 hour drive, loads of single birds, beer. Any questions?

fcbellio
2nd Feb 2007, 17:05
Many thanks for the copy of the map, sorry so late in replying - been a bit busy!!

Mike Oxmels
2nd Feb 2007, 17:10
There was a time when Valley mates used to drive to Shawbury for Happy Hour. Why?

Err, because Anglesey is the contaminated pube on the ringpiece of Satan (on a good day). Ever had a night out in Holyhead or Bangor - I speak the truth.

Tiger_mate
2nd Feb 2007, 17:35
That'll be Holyhead Yeh, or Bangor eye!!
Such accuracy in your description, made I larff so it did.

http://www.ehangar.com/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_wave.gif

TorqueOfTheDevil
3rd Feb 2007, 13:55
What no Magic Spluff Muffin of Love (that spluff-muffin-of-love-like lump of high ground near the head of Swaledale)? Shurely some mistake? And how about the railway bridge at Ulverston near Barrow-in-Furness, start point for so many Tin Can nav-exes?

DX Wombat
4th Feb 2007, 12:57
That's excellent :) but in the list for Wales you put a ? next to Vernway so can I assume that you mean Lake Vyrnwy (http://history.powys.org.uk/school1/llanfyllin/lakemenu.shtml)the reservoir which supplies water for Liverpool?

LateArmLive
5th Feb 2007, 08:30
Looks like a 5 to me

DX Wombat
5th Feb 2007, 22:16
Oops! :O That will teach me to post when I'm tired. I should have said that it has "sp" - meaning, presumably "spelling" beside it and which I took to mean that the author wasn't too sure of the correct spelling. :O

cold_harbour
8th Feb 2007, 15:29
This isn't the correct spelling, but it is the way it's pronounced at Valley, as the vast majority of pilots there can't cope with the Welsh names properly without at least half a dozen pints down them!
;)

(And it is a 5. Comes straight after 4 and before 6)

Lord Harry Flashman
8th Feb 2007, 15:38
The new look "interactive" version of the aircrew dictionary web site is now available for your collective viewing pleasure at: www.bannedphrases.co.uk (http://www.bannedphrases.co.uk)
Now, sadly, with over 1000 definitions!
You can now submit your own definitions for approval and inclusion in the database automatically. The Standard Landaway Night Out guides have been removed from the "hard" copies of Edition 6 but are still online. Please keep the additions to this section coming in (Non-uk locations especially welcome). What I really want for those guides is the "standard" night out not necessarily the best night out, just the places that you always HAVE to go to when you are new to a base. Eg: Cranwell= Lincoln = Walkabout + Jumpin Jacks + Ritzy + Kebab.
:ok:

PPRuNeUser0211
8th Feb 2007, 18:08
Just a thought, bearing in mind I'm going grey, have no map to hand and haven't been there for a while..... Does not the loop lie north of laura ashley valley/the newtown cricket stumps? Thought if you come from the south at the stumps, its a quick left/right up LA valley and into the bottom of the loop? Then creamie pass takes you out WNW from the western edge of the loop?

DX Wombat
9th Feb 2007, 07:26
:{ :{ :{ I was only trying to help because I thought the person concerned wanted the correct spelling. :{

Widger
9th Feb 2007, 07:49
Very much like the banned phrases site. A good thing to go alongside Jack Speak. Point of order though, on scrolling down I got to BEYOND 10 WEST. The author was ofbviously not a Nav as it is line of Longitude not Latitude.............................anyone see the 6.55 pass through Crewe this morning?:suspect: :suspect:

Barn Doors
9th Feb 2007, 10:36
Ahh,

I remember a vivid occasion when 'bouncing' a 4-ship of puffer-jets in LFA 7/4 a few years back. Towards the end of their training sortie I managed to split both sections and, on trying to get back together for the transit home, lead requested a 'posit' from the back pair. #3 replied:

"We're just coming over Sally's Tits!"

How I very nearly wet myself.......:}

BD

doubledolphins
9th Feb 2007, 14:47
Now I know why! Guys, the Shobdon Magnet is in Herefordshire not Wales. It is a bit to the east of where the map has it. The only other land mark I can vouch for is the Start Point Light.(Used it for fixing an awful lot during my baisic training.) That is where it is shown.

Lord Harry Flashman
9th Feb 2007, 16:32
I have changed latitude to longitude in the "Beyond 10 West" definition. Is that now correct? No I am not a nav......

izod tester
27th Jul 2014, 08:55
Anyone who plans to use the Didcot power station cooling towers as a navigation aide needs to know they are no longer there.
BBC News - Didcot power station towers demolished (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-28487288)

Lima Juliet
27th Jul 2014, 09:28
Yup, standby for airpsace infringements of the Brize and Benson airspace, plus Abingdon glider site when they start flying again!

tmmorris
27th Jul 2014, 19:41
Reports of the death of Didcot Power station are, to put it mildly, exaggerated.

For a start, they only demolished three of the six; and left the massive central chimney in place. The view from my bedroom window is scarcely affected, so I doubt I'll get lost finding Benson...

Gerontocrat
27th Jul 2014, 20:48
Reports of the death of Didcot Power station are, to put it mildly, exaggerated.

For a start, they only demolished three of the six; and left the massive central chimney in place. The view from my bedroom window is scarcely affected, so I doubt I'll get lost finding Benson...

But could Benson find you?
A nice clear summer's day, and climbing out of Abingdon heading towards the towers
Benson radar called us up and asked us to turn on to heading xxx for ident
We complied.
A short while after Benson, again, asked for a turn, for ident, followed by the message "We still don't have you."
The only possible response from our end - a Tyro c/s - was "Benson, if it's of any help, we have you visual."

Dysonsphere
27th Jul 2014, 21:09
Remember when was doing PPL exam made the basic mistake of keeping Didcot on my wingtip not realising I was flying an arc on the towers. Never mind got it right on the retest :ok:

Guernsey Girl II
28th Jul 2014, 17:25
On the regional news last night they said the last 3 cooling towers will be dropped next year with the whole site levelled by late 2016