PDA

View Full Version : Generic Interview & Recruitment Questions

beachwave40
8th Jan 2007, 22:08
Can anybody tell me how they calculate an overnight/layover allowance in australia? Or where I can find the information?

cheers

TightSlot
9th Jan 2007, 09:34
Please post general questions about interviews and recruitment here

blondie 61
9th Jan 2007, 12:51
does anyone know what happens next once your references have all been accepted and are ok do you hear from the airline where you got the job offer of being placed in a pool and how long does it take any advice please thanks in advance

Ash_ind
9th Jan 2007, 14:24
Hi guys!!! I really need your help as I cannot make decision which company to choose Thomos Cook or Easyjet could somebody please help if your ex/present Easyjet or Thomos Cook crew could you please give me some feed back it will be much appreciated.

Thanks a LOT.

Ash

Dolley
9th Jan 2007, 14:54
Well, I work for easyjet and quite like it.

Maybe you could be a bit more specific about what you want to know or which information will help you to make a decision :-)

abdomen
9th Jan 2007, 16:35
Hi all!!

I have my first interview with an airline 2 become a cabin crew. I do drugs (ketamine & e) once per month and usually do some roids. Will this come up in the medical tests??

Thanx

Ash_ind
9th Jan 2007, 16:42
Well, I work for easyjet and quite like it.

Maybe you could be a bit more specific about what you want to know or which information will help you to make a decision :-)

Hey thx for ur reply, well I used to work for ryanair and have just little fear about easyjet coz its still low cost airline although I know they are much better then ryanair. I have been offered two jobs at the same time and only can choose one just want to make right choice really. Easyjet offrering permanent postion and ThomosCook seasonal contract and they invite you back possibilty for permanent to.

Could you give be brief information how many hours roughly you work per week and how is it going? and if you know any rumour about Thomoscook etc....

thanks a lot

Ash

abdomen
9th Jan 2007, 16:43
Hi!!
I hate wearing a suit and dressing kind of smart!!! I“m a levi“s kind of guy and was wondering if could I wear jeans, t-shirts, trainners.... during the training period or this could affect to the final airline“s decition about me working 4 them???

(I know it sounds a bit silly but it worries me!!! :eek: )

THANK YOU!!!

c_hostie
9th Jan 2007, 16:51
What airline are you training with? I've done 2 airline training courses, and if I were you I'd wear trousers (not jeans) and just a jumper or shirt. You don't really have to wear a suit but they won't like jeans and trainers I don't think! :ok:

ozskipper
9th Jan 2007, 17:58
Hi all!!

I have my first interview with an airline 2 become a cabin crew. I do drugs (ketamine & e) once per month and usually do some roids. Will this come up in the medical tests??

Thanx

Hmm, it's taken me awhile to think of an appropriate way to respond to this because I don't want it taken the wrong way. There are lots of crew that take recreational drugs (as in most industries) however you need to think seriously whether this is the right job for you. Partying is fine when you can go into the office and shut the door and ignore the world because you're feeling like it's Comedown Tuesday, but on the aircraft it isn't that simple - you've got the be on the ball in case it all goes down the pan and that's even before you have to be nice to someone who's just spewed on you! Steroids can cause aggression in some people (not all), so you also need to think about whether that might be a problem or not being in a tin can at 38,000'.

The final thing you need to be aware of, is that depending on the airline you work for, you may be subject to random drug testing either by the company , the regulator or indeed the country you are visiting. In Thailand for example, the police can require you to produce a urine drug sample without a reason or indeed a warrant. Having visited a Thai prison (not as a inmate but in a professional capacity) they are places you don't want to spend any time in :)

But in answer to your question - no, they shouldn't come up unless their use has been within around 72 hrs.

Hi!!
I hate wearing a suit and dressing kind of smart!!! I“m a levi“s kind of guy and was wondering if could I wear jeans, t-shirts, trainners.... during the training period or this could affect to the final airline“s decition about me working 4 them???

(I know it sounds a bit silly but it worries me!!! :eek: )

THANK YOU!!!

Most airlines require you to dress in appropriate business attire or at least smart casual (ie, no tie, but a shirt and trousers). Wearing jeans and trainers isn't seen as being professional and there would some question as to how you would be in wearing their uniform.

Again, with the airline I work for, you'd be told very promptly that the style of dress isn't appropriate and you'd be expected to present yourself more professionally.

Please don't take any of the above as me having a crack at you - just a perspective from this end.

lukeylad
9th Jan 2007, 18:36
I have an interview with Jet2.com in newcastle any one else going?

Any more tips for me

cheers

LL

vodkaholic
10th Jan 2007, 11:59
I have recently been offered 2 cabin crew interviews with longhaul airlines...BUT I am completely happy in my current cabin crew job, and don't really want to leave. The only reason I'm not happy is that it is only a PPY contract and I want to fly all year.

I have weighed up pros and cons for all 3 airlines, and my current airline wins by a mile, despite it being PPY.

Do you think it is worth going to the interviews anyway and see if the companies have something to offer me that I haven't thought of? Or do you think it is a waste of my, and the airlines, time??

Please help me, I don't think I'm capable of making this decision on my own!! ha ha!!

Thanks!!

ground_star
10th Jan 2007, 17:09
Hi Folks!

Always wondered this one. When they put in recruitment ads "Able to swim at least 25 metres" does this mean aided (i.e: lifejacket) or unaided?

Any help?

I Just Want To Fly
10th Jan 2007, 22:37
Vodkaholic, no harm in going along. If you are lucky enough to be offered one of the jobs, then you can make a much more informed decision then, because you will have a greater insight into the company.

Ground Star, you need to be able to swim 25m unaided. Most airlines will make ou do this with a life jacket aswell. Some airlines make you swim fully clothed, with sneakers/trainers. 25m seems to be the standard in the UK, in Australia, you need to swim at least 50m!

However the survival statistics for a heavy jet making open water ditching are fairly poor, so probably the only time you will ever need to demonstrate your ability is during trainging! What a pleasant thought to leave you with... sorry:}

vodkaholic
12th Jan 2007, 14:14
thanks I just want to fly!

and i think you are right....i will go along and see what they're all about!!! :)

Dolley
27th Jan 2007, 19:07
I don't think glasses are a problem in most companies these days as long as you have good vision whilst wearing them. Same with contacts.

If you want to give contacts a shot I would recommend talking to your optician. However, I personnaly use Night and Day lenses that I can wear ongoing for 30 days without having to take them out. They are absolutly brilliant! And I think the best option for crew cause of the long hours....and if you do longhaul the crew rest.

I believe it has been discussed before so a search might give you more ideas!

Glamgirl
28th Jan 2007, 10:31
Hi Jenn. I alter glasses and contacts when I'm at work (depending on check in time...). Any airline who prefers one or the others should tell you but I only know of one airline that won't accept glasses and it's located in the far east (can't for the life of me remember the name of the airline, sorry). Basically, if you wear your glasses to an interview and they ask you if you would be willing to wear contacts if they hire you, say yes. Then run to the opticians afterwards. HTH, and good luck!

Ps, if you're going to a Virgin interview, make sure you wear nail varnish and do your hear as if you're working for them already. That means up in a bun/french fancy swishy up bit (sorry, don't know what they're all called) with no whispy bits. Wear some make up as well. Basically make sure you look like you belong. I'm sure you'll be fine though, let us know how it went.

PER210
28th Jan 2007, 11:45
do airlines (in australia is where im looking for.. but all around the world will help still) hire people with braces? i dont have them yet. and my teeth arnt to bad yet, but im afraid they'll get worse, so i'd prefer to get braces soon. but yeh.. just wondering if airlines still hire people with braces or not?

Glamgirl
28th Jan 2007, 12:28
Hi there,

I don't know why any airline would have a problem with braces, but do check with the airline you want to apply to. Several of my colleagues have braces and they haven't had any problems. If you're concerned about it, would it be possible for you to wait until you have a job and get your braces later when you have a contract? Then your company couldn't do anything, as it would be victimisation for lack of a better word. Good luck with your applications, I'm sure you'll be fine.

blondie 61
29th Jan 2007, 18:08
hi jenn
dont worry about your hair ive just been accepted for thomson fly and i wear my hair short as long as its not hanging below your collar and smart and clean and tidy there will be no problem
if its coloured jen make sure you have no root regrowth and not a distinctive two colours also
as for weight no they didnt weigh me it must be based on just looking at you dont worry and good luck xx

PER210
30th Jan 2007, 01:39
thanks glam girl. could be an idea to wait till i have a contract, although i think i would prefer to get them on sooner then later. but as you say... they cant exactly discriminate against me... Thanks :)

eurofly35
30th Jan 2007, 17:25
Hi, im 16 years old and I will be 17 in November 2008 when I leave school. Does anybody know if any airlines would recruit me as cabin crew at 17 years of age as I would imagine that by the time interviews and training etc... were completed I would be 18.

Hope to hear from you all soon!!
p.s: Be nice, im new!!

eurofly35 :)

a1tone
31st Jan 2007, 09:33
Anyone know of any airlines that accept applicants at 5'1", they all seem to be 5'2"

Thanks.

red17
31st Jan 2007, 10:52
any advice for someone wanting to go from working in ground handling to cabin crew?? will be looking to move in about july

Glamgirl
31st Jan 2007, 13:16
Jenn, I work for BA at LGW, and I love it! (Well, most of the time, lol). Don't worry if you haven't got long hair, as long as it's in a sort of business-like style and clean it should be fine (basically no super spiky trendy stuff). You might get weighed, but they shouldn't do it, as it's against some European Law or another. However, if they want to weigh you, just let them (shows you're co-operative etc). A little bird (galley fm, jungle telegraph...) tells me that we'll be recruiting soon, so keep an eye out on the web site. Good luck!

Eurofly, I don't think any airline would consider anyone under 18 years of age, regardless of whether you'll be 18 by the time you start. Please wait until after your 18th birthday and then apply. Most airlines will state age and other qualifying factors on their recruitment web sites. I'd recommend for you to either continue college or get a job in customer services, as this is usually what airlines like. Just have a look at the different web sites and they'll tell you what they're looking for. I wouldn't recommend any of those "wanna be cabin crew training courses" that you find in papers and magazines either. They cost a lot of money and won't guarantee a job at the end. Hope this helps and good luck.

A1tone, the reason most airlines states 5'2 is so you can reach the over head lockers and any equipment stored in the ceiling of the aircraft. I don't know of any airline that recruite under 5'2, but keep looking, there must be one out there, I'm sure.

Glamgirl
31st Jan 2007, 13:22
Red 17, do you work for an airline or a handling company? If you work for an airline, you can ask if there is opportunity for you to move to CC within the company. You would still have to do an interview etc. If you don't work for an airline, then just apply to one that appeals to you, usually on the web. Make sure you have the qualifications they're looking for and go for it. I don't know what your ground job involves, but if you have customer contact, that's great and something airlines will like. I'm not sure what else I can tell you right now, but please feel free to ask. It may take a few days for a reply (standbys are great...) but I'll get back to you whenever I can.

TightSlot
31st Jan 2007, 19:42
3 posts deleted - please remember not to use Nokia speak

MBJ
31st Jan 2007, 21:20
Not sure of the etiquette in this forum but here goes - my daughter is looking for a job as Cabin Crew. Preferably long-haul. Her research indicates basic salaries are quite low. Do the allowances help much? Is there anyone out there who can make a wild stab in the dark about annual earnings for the average young CC including any allowances that you don't need to spend?

Airhostessdream
1st Feb 2007, 17:13
Hi everyone. Jus wondering if someone can help me with my query! I have always wanted to be based in The u.s.a And work for either VAA American based or jus an American based airline. I live in England, but through the position of cabin crew, would this be possible for me to apply? I know you need a social security num before applying for any jobs. Has anyone done this before, moved to the states and applied for a visa and the job. Any information or advice how to go about doing this would be so much appreciated..Thankyou:} x x

Airhostessdream
1st Feb 2007, 17:39
People i need your help...PLZ:} Can anyone tell in their opinion which are the best long haul airlines to apply for, other than B.A( They are not recruiting) Virgin,( Cant reapply till 6tmths, long stroy there) Emirates( Not based in the u.k ) Cathay Pacific( Need to speak language). I know about Quantas. But are there any other airlines.What happens if you do fail the training, can you start again, does anyone know or been in this situation? How does it feel for some who have worked for long and short haul, which is better? Or which short haul airlines are good too.. Thankyou! Any advice or information i would be very thankful x x

johnezy
1st Feb 2007, 17:50
hi i just did the virgin interview day and am still waiting to hear. have you looked at these

zoom
globespan
thompson
my travel
air new zealand
silverjet

i dont know if they are all recruiting and as far as the course goes they do let you resit all exams on the training but the pass mark will increase, some airlines also "re course" you if you fail, but the techniques they use in recruiting mean that they select candidates who they feal will pass the course.

As far as short haul airlines go they are a different kettle of fish! so you need to decide what you want. Do you want trip away from home for days at a time or do you want to go away and return on the same day. Money varies from airline to airline but is roughly the same weather you work sort or long haul, it's the benifits and lifestyle that varies. Most short haul airlines are currenly recruiting especially the season contract airlines.

hope this helps :)

Tommietola21
1st Feb 2007, 18:08
Hiya

Firstly, good luck with any applications!
Zoom UK have finished recruitment (so far).
Globespan, well, read their own forum, they don't sound too happy a bunh at the mo, but could just be galley FM. I used to work for MYT, great company and good pay!

mushy
3rd Feb 2007, 07:45
hi guys , i want to know what actually do the airlines want to check in the medicals ,
ESPICALLY IN THE MIDDLE EAST ( QR ,EY,EK ):rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ANYONE WHO HAS ANY INFORMATION PLS GUIDE ME (DETAILED INFORMATION):suspect:

DJTibby
3rd Feb 2007, 10:31
Hello mushy!
The airline medicals focus on the heart, lungs, eyes/ears, brain (like epilepsy etc) and fitness. they also look for any medical conditions and check to see if you can move properly (flexibility). Good luck:ok:

cool_kk213
4th Feb 2007, 13:22
I had an accident years ago and my right eye become like the left eye of Paris Hilton. I went to a cosmetic surgeon and he said there's nothing to be done unless a face lift for permanent result. According to him, a botox would only mae it worse. After the accident, I found my palms and foot sweating a lot. I tried using anti perspirant spray on my palms but didn't really work that well like using it on armpits. Do you think I can still become a flight attendant? Does anyone ever see a flight attendant with eyes like Paris Hilton or sweaty palms?

apaddyinuk
4th Feb 2007, 14:15
Try Lyndon Voss Triple Dry for hands and feet. I use it for my underarms and its amazing. Not sure if you can get it in your country but sure have a look and see if you can order it online.

As for your eye, I really dont think that in this day and age it should really be a problem. Perhaps dont apply for the likes of Virgin and Emirates who tend to be more image driven but certainly BA, BMI and the charters I dont think would be too fussy just as long as you have suitable eye sight!!!

Id just say go for it!

vodkaholic
4th Feb 2007, 15:09
yeh we had a girl flying with us last season with a dodgy eye. as long as your vision is perfect (either with or without contacts or glasses) it wont be anything to worry about. but like apaddyinuk said, the gulf airlines and virgin probably wouldnt like it.

Flame Lily FX
4th Feb 2007, 15:37
Hi Cool

Sorry to hear about your eye. Don't think you have anything to worry about if you look like Paris Hilton.:O

Dolley
4th Feb 2007, 21:11
After the accident, I found my palms and foot sweating a lot. I tried using anti perspirant spray on my palms but didn't really work that well like using it on armpits.

Don't know about hands and feet but try DRICOL for your armpits. Lots of cc uses it. You get it at a chemist and sometimes at boots or superdrugs. You might have to ask for it over the counter. It works wonders!

vodkaholic
4th Feb 2007, 22:16
Do you mean DRICLOR dolley? if you do then i would deffo recommend this!! it's a godsend!! know it sounds gross, but i actually sweat a lot under my armpits. well, i used to. but after just one application of Driclor I'm as dry as a sheet!! It's great. And in the bigger Boots stores you can just get it straight from the shelf as well. It's about £7 for a tiny pot. But you won't even need to whole pot. Burns like crazy but lasts a good couple of years!

DJTibby
5th Feb 2007, 11:03
I am not sure i understand what you mean about paris hiltons eyes? what is supposed to be wrong with them? Are you referring to a droopy lid? (making the eyes look uneven):confused:

blondie 61
5th Feb 2007, 15:14
hi there
does anyone know how soon you find out if you are not been plucked from the holding pool to start training this year i have been placed in a one at the minute and dont really know what to do about my pre booked holidays this year
also if they dont use you do you have to reapply for the job surely you are not left hanging around for months and even years on end
do you get some form of notification to tell you i am new to this buisness its really crazy any info will help thanks xx

vodkaholic
5th Feb 2007, 16:13
I am sure they will give you plenty of notification of your start date, as you will probably have to give notice to your current employer. however, if your start date is before your holiday, then they probably wont authorise you time off for your holiday (unless they have already agreed to this at interview).

And yes, sometimes people are in holding pools for years. You shouldn't have to reapply for the job unless you pull out for some reason. what airline is it for? People who work for that particular airline may know more information about waiting times in the holding pool, holidays etc.

cool_kk213
17th Feb 2007, 16:48
Went to Etihad's interview last Sunday. I don't think having a droopy lid is a probolem for applying an airlines. First round is about written test (MCQ and a short essay only 40 words allowed!) then followed by grooming check (candidates went in 1 by 1 and asked to pick up something from the floor and why they choose that particular item and then the very popular question, why do you wanna be a cabin crew and what are you doing currently?) I failed my grooming stage because my forehead was so red dued to unsuitable cosmetics. Try covering it up using the concealer but then it was too late, I failed the 1st round....Out of the 120 candidates, only 13 were selected....so sad!

Samya
20th Feb 2007, 15:00
Sorry to say Abdomen, but just thinking of traveling/working with CC who do drugs sends shivers down the good old spine...

boygeorgefan
21st Feb 2007, 20:14
Best and worst airlines for fairness in recruitment.
In order

1) Thomsonfly, relevant exercises and tests on the day, friendly recruitment team bar 1 guy but i must say this airline is the best for recruiting. Only downside is, not enough breaks.

2) Thomas Cook, exceptionaly friendly, however not enough group excercises or no tests which i think would give them a better perspective.

Now a big gap.

3) XL, relevant tests and excercises but the attitude of the recruitment team as alot to be desired.

4) JET2, irrelevant test asking questions on Elvis Pressley and nursery rhymes. Recruiters ok, but they boast too much about the company and how they are the best.

jet2impress
23rd Feb 2007, 11:48
Boygeorgefan...... have you got a job yet? Suppose the tests would of been more relevant asking questions on Boy George rather than Elvis! I thought those random questions were there to see if you had any knowledge of current affairs etc.

xl wise one
23rd Feb 2007, 14:14
which airline did you accept ?? my XL recruitment day was excellent

hb-het
23rd Feb 2007, 14:22
Hy everybody!

I'm a student in a hospitality mangament school and I'm looking for a 6 months internship as a cabin attendant. Does anybody has a good idea of where I can found something like this ? Do you have any "internal" connections ?

If it can helps I have my PPL and I'm working as part time in a ground handling company... If you need any further informations feel free to send a PM!

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

cbncrw
23rd Feb 2007, 15:06
Well boygeorgefan i have been looking at all your comments about airlines and see you have very little good to say about anyone?? now why is that??
How long have you been crew? I have done a couple of contracts

How many interviews have you been to?? I have had 2 this year and by far the best was XL- nice cabin crew at interview, made us feel relaxed- lots of information, all seemed very fair.
I had an interview in Manchester this week with XL- keeping my fingers crossed

I suggest you try BA & virgin to get some more interview experience

GOOD LUCK

InTheDark
13th Mar 2007, 08:16
Doing some research for a freind of mine (ideal cabin crew material).
She is in a position to work anywhere in Europe, who is recruiting?
many Thanks
:)
InTheDark

tuismile
13th Mar 2007, 11:51
have a look on aviationjobsearch.com

Virginia
13th Mar 2007, 13:39
If you fancy 11 hour days with 11 hour minimum rest wearing a lovely orange polyester uniform and doing cabin tidies...why not try easyJet?:ok: If you enjoy sweeping pringles up from carpets it's the job for you!

tuismile
13th Mar 2007, 13:58
lol...quite true virginia!! or if ur friend fancies serving Claret Wine to pompous pax who paid 3 grand for their ticket then BA are recruiting for LGW!!!

BA
Maxjet
Easyjet
GB Airways
First Choice
Monarch
Thomsonfly

There's LOADS!!! Go search!1 :-)

Virginia
13th Mar 2007, 15:04
easyJet is a laugh and the money is good...that's about it! We get lots of business people flying and a few chavvy folk :yuk:

I'd rather serve Claret Wine to stuffy old men anyway at BA :cool: I've got an interview at BA in a couple of weeks!

Dolley
13th Mar 2007, 17:17
In the dark:

Here's some advice for your friend:

1. Make a decision if you're interested in longhaul/shorthaul.
2. Research about longhaul/shorthaul (whatever you decided for) airlines (use their own websites for a start, they tell you loads because they don't want to waste their time either).
3. Apply to all airlines that you are interested in. If they are recruiting fine, if not, you still might get lucky.

Good luck!

Airbourne-Adamski
13th Mar 2007, 17:41
Virginia

easyJet is a laugh and the money is good...that's about it! We get lots of business people flying and a few chavvy folk

I'd rather serve Claret Wine to stuffy old men anyway at BA I've got an interview at BA in a couple of weeks!

I have been around the block over 7 years, and now at easyjet (1 year now)
And to be honest easyjet look after there crew so much better than alot of other airlines. I have many friends you left the "Short Haul" airlines for the big boys and ended up back were they started.
Plus they offer alot more, from promotions, to social events rewards and alot more. Overall I feel easy is a very good airline to work for, Yes we do work bloody hard, but hey makes the day go quicker.

Don't get me wrong Virginia I am not out to argue LOL, everyone has there own opinions so thought I would throw mine in.

OH and good luck with your BA interview, Is it for Short or Long haul? Best of luck keep us posted.

tanyamaria
14th Mar 2007, 16:07
Hi,

I would like to know if you have had laser eye surgery about 8 years ago, can you apply for cabin crew position? Does this affect your application in any way? With regards to Etihad and Virgin Atlantic.

Thank you for reading.

Cheers

Tia

Tiny Baby
20th Mar 2007, 10:57
Hello

I'm thinking of becoming a cabin crew. There has been a lot mentioned in the pay section about sector pay.

How is a sector defined. Is one sector for example BHX-PMI-BHX, or is BHX-PMI 1 sector with the return PMI-BHX being the 2nd sector.

Cheers

9lives
21st Mar 2007, 06:17
hi,
i'll be attending a CC interview soon and im pretty concerned about the eyesight issue. well ive got astigmatism and my eyesights approximately 600 in power but definitely correctable with contacts - something which i have been using for a long time. im not sure if the eyesight requirement is crucial and if the airline is strict about this. can anyone please advise me on this? would really appreciate that...:8

much thanx

exmax
21st Mar 2007, 07:50
Hi 9lives,

I have always worn either contacts or glasses when I've been flying as crew, so it's never a problem. Having said that, it's always a good idea to see where you stand with the individual airlines' entry criteria.

BOMBER X
24th Mar 2007, 10:42
Hello everybody,

I am a pilot and my wife would like to become flight attendant and has never worked in the aviation industry before.

It would be very nice if someone could give me informations regarding, the process, possibilities of training financing, and also the minimum diplomas and skills required by most of the companies. We are based in Africa.

Thanks in advance,:)

Bomber X

koozang
26th Mar 2007, 14:16
hi guys!

I'm a South Korean. I'm studying in Kent in UK.
I had an EK cabin crew interview last OCT in EDINBURGH. I passed the first round with English guys which was group discussion. They were really friendly so I didn't feel like a stranger. It was quite comfortable.
In the second round, I had to take an English exam because I'm a foreigner but I didn't get through. I think my English wasn't strong enough.:sad: That's why I failed.

I'd like to try EK again. I have also applied for EY as well, but I haven't got any messages from EY.

If you have any advice for foreigners who wanna be cabin crew,
especially EK or EY, please tell me or the others. It is really helpful for us.
Thanks.

EKHQ
27th Mar 2007, 03:54
probably about 90% of EK's employees are foreigners, (non- emarati's).
For EK cabin crew, if you are a non-native english speaker, you will have to pass the english test.
i dont think theres a way around that.

koozang
27th Mar 2007, 13:23
sure...i think so..there are not only English speakers.

just i wanna share information about interview topics.

For example, first round topic were "what would you take with, if you are going to desert island" and "who do you think should receive a noble prize, names any 6 people in the world" <---that i've got before.
-- I think we shouldn't argue each other when we discuss that topic.
result isn't important. Recruiters just wanna see how we're good which is good listeners or polite or well agree with the others, good presenter, good to lead teams.

The second round: If you are English, you can directly go to the other group dicussion, but if you are not english, you have to take english test.

The first part of test, two short stories and up to 5 queastions and secound part is the matching the vocab form the stories.
third part is understanding the signs. the fourth part is reading letters or messages and answer the questions.

finally writing an essay,,,,:{ that i don't remember. sorry guys..

anyway thanks for the reply!!! i really appreciate that..

the TRUTH about EY
27th Mar 2007, 13:34
Mate

forget about EY. go for Emirates.

If you just go around pprune and search about EY you can find what we call it .. Horror stories about Etihad Airways.

I Used to work for EY and what they tell you in the interview in just bunch of S***..I'm back now to my Home country and soon will apply for EK.

Many of my mates are there already after they resinged from EY.

..Cheers..

eggorbeans
29th Mar 2007, 13:30
Hi
Does anyone know which airlines take on part time CC from day one, please, especially in the London airports? Do VLM or Scotairways- or Flightline.
There must be many ex CabinCrew who have children and cannot commit to full time work, but miss flying and have plenty of experience and a known good track record (like ME!) I suppose if you stay at your airline then you can go back after children- but mine went down the drain after so many takeovers I practically forgot who I originally worked for!
Thanks for any pointers.

PER210
29th Mar 2007, 13:47
I'm in the process of getting my Responcible Servise of Alcohol Certificate of Attainment. I'm doing it externally, so i have to do a work book, send it away and then do a phone interview for about 10 questions.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what those questions would be? A select few from the work book completed? or completely new ones?

Thanks.

Twinklinggem
29th Mar 2007, 14:36
Can any body tell me about he swimming and what it involves i am so dreading it i am training with Monarch and have my swimming next week:ooh:
I can swim over 50 metersbut i find treading water quite hard will i fail if i can't do it :{

Flippen heck just wnat it over with:(

Pax Agent
29th Mar 2007, 14:47
At BA we had to -

- Jump into the pool whilst pulling the cord to inflate our lifejacket
- swim 1 length of the pool
- swim 1 length of the pool but this time carryin someone along with us
- take off our life jackets and they were scattered at the end of the pool and deflated
- swim to the lifejackets and put one on in the deep end then....tie the tapes around you...and inflate it using the mouthpiece
- bob around for a while in a group like you would have to whilst waiting for rescue (yeah right!) :}
- then climb into a liferaft and pull others in
- paddle the liferaft to the end of the pool and back again

MonarchA330
29th Mar 2007, 15:35
In the pool next week? We'll be in with you aswell then! Are you coming up from Gatwick?

Did the pool session with Monarch a few years ago, if I remember correctly we had to swim a length or 2 normally then put the lifejackets on and do a length or 2 with the jackets on. Then had to tow another person a length and then fun and games with the liferaft, putting the canopy up etc. As for the treading water, I cant quite remember if we had to do that or not.

Hope that helps!
M330

Twinklinggem
29th Mar 2007, 16:22
:ok: Thanks everyone coming from B'ham to luton for swimming next week god help us :)

Fire and swimming all in one day :ugh:

Pandora's Box
29th Mar 2007, 17:59
Twinklinggem,

You have nothing to worry about.......Swimming and putting out fires is the best part of the course, so enjoy it. At least it gets you out of the classroom for a day :zzz: :zzz:

The smoke filled cabin can be a little scary, but least you only have to do it once, then thats it for 3 years.....unless you leave and go to another airline ;)

Lou Scannon
29th Mar 2007, 18:46
"The smoke filled cabin can be a little scary, but least you only have to do it once, then thats it for 3 years.....unless you leave and go to another airline"

...or experience it for real!

Don't worry, provided you can manage a couple of lengths (in your own time) the training is good fun. Nobody will expect you to swim home from the middle of the Atlantic to get help!

Twinklinggem
30th Mar 2007, 13:02
Thanks i feel better now :ok: got my uniform yesterday and had a full try on at home :D looked and felt great can't wait to get up there now flying :bored:

9lives
3rd Apr 2007, 10:22
Hi exmax,

Thanks for the reply :) Good to hear
Guess what? I attended a recent Emirates open day last Saturday and was invited to go on to the next round. The next interview will take place in 2 weeks time and I'm pretty concerned about the type of questions that will be thrown by the Recruitment Officers.
Also, I've checked with the agent, representing them, on the eyesight issue and I'm so happy to know that it's not a problem so long as contacts work fine for me...;)
if you don't mind, any tips on what questions I should expect from them at the next round?

waiting in anticipation:)

norton2005
6th Apr 2007, 18:00
I really wasen't sure wich other thread to post this on so please don't shoot me down if it turns out i could have posted this elsewhere. This question is not related to one pasrticular airline to but the cabin crew job in general.
On the whole, what kind of previous experiance and qualifications are airlines looking for in someone who has no previous cabin crew experiance?
What is a typical starting salary?
What can you expect to be earning in a couple of years or so?
And what can you expect to be earning further down the line as an experianced cabin crew person?

Thanks for any help that can be given on this subject.

johnrizzo2000
8th Apr 2007, 13:43
I just got a job as cabin crew this past week, so I'm not sure if my insight is helpful!!!!! I had worked as ground-staff for another airline, and recently applied. They seemed happy that I knew a lot about the airline, and had customer services experience. I know for the airline I got the job with, onboard sales and sales-awareness was a key part of the interview, and I got asked a lot of ''what would you do if...''. Hope that helps!

norton2005
8th Apr 2007, 13:48
Thanks for that. Any info about the pay aswell? starting and what you could be on in a few years?

Commander1
9th Apr 2007, 15:28
Hey all,

I spoke to a girl who had previously worked for Jet2 she told me that their training is not as intense and difficult as Ryanair. Can anyone else vouch for this?

Anyhow, I was just wanting to know of any airlines based at GLA that could be recommended to work for.

I have again applied to GSM Im not 21 yet but I am determined, or foolish...whatever.:ugh: lol

Im not sure if Loganair are still recruiting, I checked Thomas Cook, My travel sites and they are blank.

I really dont want to work for FR for a long period of time, heard alot of bad things about them that their training is meant to be intense as they hate people claiming them as they are very low cost Cabin Crew have to be trained on everything...

Cheers

ManxBoi
13th Apr 2007, 09:34
I know Euromanx are looking for part - time CC! But that would mean moving to the Isle of man! Which is by the way a great place to bring your kids up!
Hope this is of help!

Cheers

sosmix
13th Apr 2007, 12:25
I know airlines don't discriminate against people in late 30s + but now early 30s is such a popular age for women to have children, do airlines, like other companies, just think you are a 'write off'. I am 33 and have a fiance and I don't want to have children - I want to fly (again) - I've thought about having children but would rather fly instead - that's how committed I am! But despite 5 years flying experience with UK's largest airline and loads of applications I can't get anywhere. :(
Does anyone out there work in airline recruitment and answer honestly that they don't think about your age and assume you want kids.:hmm:

changes2007
13th Apr 2007, 15:24
I have been wondering the same thing?? I'm 31.Virgin rejected me last year on application and 6mnths is nearly up to try again but am scared how ever good my application is it may come down to dob?? However thompson fly took me on although due to airport choice I turned it down so I'm optimistic. Would love to hear from recruiters or someone with inside knowledge. It's supposed to be against the law to be agest I thought??:confused:

Pandora's Box
13th Apr 2007, 15:46
Unfortunately its not just airlines that discrimanate, i think most employers do!

Has'nt that always been the case though.... Young, married, childless women always loose out in job interviews to men or young, single women. Its the way of the world, however the employer will always get round it if you accuse them of discrimanating :{

It dos'nt get better neither when you do get accepted into an airline. Im Crew and i went for an internal interview for base manager to cover maternity leave. At the time, i had only been married 2 months, i knew i had'nt got the job when the guy interviewing me said " you've just got married hav'nt you". If that was'nt discrimanation then what is....especially when they gave the job to a young, single woman with hardly any experience :ugh:

sosmix
13th Apr 2007, 16:10
sorry to hear you both suspect the same as me! We can never prove it but it must happen.

I bet no one in a recruitment department will ever admit they don't like us in our early 30s!!

Yesterday I enquired about a job in my local village shop - the first thing the owner asked me (he doesn't know me) was 'do you have kids?':eek: - totally illegal to ask - so decided I didn't want to work for them anyway! But guess he is only voicing what most of them worry about. I think it's because you get 12 months maternity leave now.

Springbok 495
13th Apr 2007, 17:12
Hi guys/girls..:)

Im a pilot at a charter company in South Africa and Ive got a friend that desperately whants to become a cabin attendant/ flight attendant call it what you may. Our company doesnt have cabin crew thus I do not really have any advice for him.

He is fully bilingual in two of Souht Africa's official languages and has a matric but I do not have any advice for him on how to go about doing this and making his dream a reality...

Any advice from South African cabin crew out there would be greatly appreciated!

rubyrocks118
13th Apr 2007, 19:08
I am currently on my training course at Virgin, and there are 3 other people that are older then me, i'm 29 , one lady is in her late 30's and so is the other guys the average age group in our group of 19 is 26. i have been walking around the base and there are soooooooo many women and men in their 30s and 40s on their training course. personally i would say that it is not an age discrimination. It's like people always seem to think that virgin only accept "blonde haired Skinny people" ABSOLUTELY NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE I AM JUST USING AN EXAMPLE.

Well this is incorrect, they have such a mixed of culture and diversity, and people of ALL Shapes ad sizes. At the end of the day if you have the right qualities as a person that are truley coming from the bottom of your heart then you will most probably get the job. I just cannot belive since starting my training that we are all alike in our personalities and our passion to provide top service. I am sure you are passionate too, and don't let it get you down. re-apply to virgin, and if you get your interview let me know and i'll help you out with some tips.

Chrissy xx

9lives
14th Apr 2007, 11:34
hi all,
ive just attended a second round of interview with an airline and it is just unfortunate that 5 days before the interview, i had a sudden skin rash:\ on my neck due to a reaction from some cream that im first trying on.
i went to see a specialist for that and doc suggested that i not apply any powder or cream (other than the prescribed medication) as it will only aggravate the rash:* . So, i called up the agency for the airline and informed them of this news. They told me that they will inform the recruitment officers of this.
sad to say, i didn't make it to the next round and i'm just wondering if the rash did affect my chances of making it to the next round...can anyone please advise me on this as i'm quite concerned especially when this sudden rash is just so inevitable and certainly not a norm or regular thing for me...im really upset though...:(

thanks

sosmix
14th Apr 2007, 11:53
Hi rubyrocks118, that's great that Virgin recruit more diverse group of people & ages nowadays.
I've worked for 3 airlines and have also noticed a wide variety of ages. I started flying when I was 24 - worked with younger people, people in 30s,40s,50s.
You say you are 29 and others in training are 39 - I know airlines have no probs with all these ages - I was just talking specifically about early 30's age (30-35) - this is just such a popular age for women to have kids now. I am this age and have difficulty getting any jobs so was wondering if companies descriminate just against this age group.

hotstuffthegod
22nd Apr 2007, 15:02
hi, recently i have been thinking more and more about becoming cabin crew, maybe the fact that my bf is a pilot is influencing me, but I have thought about this before in the past. anyway, i have applied on the easyjet website for an edinburgh based job, I want to apply with more airlines to work from edinburgh though, any suggestions?? i have tried the more obvious, jet2 (which he works for so don't think it would be a good idea anyway), flybmi, flybe, globespan, but they don't seem to be recruting at the moment. And also, do you have any advice of how to get there? thank you

Char1986
23rd Apr 2007, 17:08
Hey

I'm working for first choice at the mo out of luton but am looking to move on does anyone know whos recruiting at the mo ???

Thanks

Charlotte:)

yingying
25th Apr 2007, 11:46
Hi rubyrocks118, I got an interveiw with virgin next week, just wondering whether you can give me some advice/tips on what to expect. Or anyone else who has had interview there. Thanks!

PPL152
26th Apr 2007, 09:19
Hey there, been trying to find the most suitable thread to avoid starting a new one so here it goes..

I have an interview for the post of a cabin crew next week and I would like to know what it is they are looking for, if I should dress smart or just casual?

Regards!

tiggerific_69
26th Apr 2007, 10:21
If you go to any interview,do you go casual?

PPL152
26th Apr 2007, 11:04
Yes good question.

I've been to interviews where I dressed casual, smart casual, or not that smart. Never been refused.

Relax:cool:

PPL152
27th Apr 2007, 13:35
Any typical questions they ask for prospective cabin crew?
Regards

exmax
27th Apr 2007, 23:32
1. Why do you want to work for this airline?
2. What do you see yourself doing in 5years time?
3. (If you have flown before) What don't you like about flying?
4. Give us an example of when you went out of your way for someone.
5. Tell me about a time of when you thought you could have done someting differently.
6. Tell us a time when you gave good customer service.
7. Have you ever had an idea that was then implemented?
8. How would you handle a situation where a crew member/s didn't get on?
9. A passenger has not received their special meal onboard, how would you handle the situation?
10. How well do you handle critisicm?
11. What are your strengths/weaknesses?
12. If I asked your friends, what would they say about you?
In response to how to dress, as a male, I've always dressed in a suit. As a female, I guess a skirt/trouser suit? Having said that, I've seen females dressed in far more casual clothes and they've progressed to the next stage etc. Whatever you wear, remember that you're on show all the time as crew so when you present yourself at the interview, the employer will certainly be looking at what you're wearing etc.
Hope this helps:)

Sylphie
28th Apr 2007, 05:59
What kinds of questions do your references get asked? Are they specific to your answers.. [Ie- verifying what you have said is truthful etc] ?

exmax
28th Apr 2007, 06:11
I've been asked to give a reference to someone before but it wasn't related to being cabin crew or anything like that. However I remember being asked about the applicants teamwork, pleasantness, adaptability, verifying where they worked and job description. On the whole though,I just general information really to see if the information the applicant has given is consistent.

PPL152
28th Apr 2007, 09:42
Thanks!
How long does the training course take approximately?

Sylphie
30th Apr 2007, 13:36
Thanks exmax! :p

PPL152
2nd May 2007, 10:03
hi there,

been to the interview and now awaiting a reply so anxiously! I am aware that the cabin crew course is very interesting since there are quite a diverse range of topics to be covered.

What does it really involve? theory in class? and how are the practical aspects of the course handled? any adventerous or really enjoyable part of the course which someone would like to outline? thanks!

Pretty_Polly
4th May 2007, 21:46
hi all just getting to grips with this forum thing not even sure if i've posted this right but i'l give it a go!

just a general question i'm a contact lense wearer (high prescription ie. i'm blind) i just wondered what would the situation be if u had irritable eyes on a busy flight working as crew would u be able to slip ur specs on or is that forbidden? im not crew yet but got to final intvw stages last week so await result just want to know this question as i have lots of unanswered thoughts running thru my head just now !

thanks

vodkaholic
5th May 2007, 12:59
pretty polly - most airlines have no problems with you wearing glasses. think mainly middle eastern airlines don't allow it. but most UK based charter and scheduled airlines will not have a problem with you wearing glasses, or changing your contacts halfway through a flight.

PPL152 - some of the more fun aspects of training have to involve ditching (going to a swimming pool, normally at 5am, and hauling yourself and others into a liferaft), smoke filled cabin and slide descent. these are the more practical aspects of training. however, i think you will find with most airlines that the majority of stuff will take place in a classroom. but it is still all a lot of fun!! and you learn a hell of a lot!!

pink27
7th May 2007, 22:21
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering a couple of things about an airline medical. As a child I had asthma which was triggered by animal contact. As I grew older it became less and less of a problem and it has been years since I have taken any sort of medicaion for it or been to the Dr because of it and no longer attend the asthma clinic. Whilst my Dr agrees it is no longer a problem for me it is however still on my medical record. I am just wondering if this will effect employment with an airline? I have just been offered a job with BA and will need to get a medical and this is making me worry. I am really physically fit and am not restricted in anything I do or have any health complaints. Is the medical fairly standard? Any comments would be greatly appreciated! I have waited so long for this job I'm convinced something will go wrong and take it away from me.

vodkaholic
8th May 2007, 17:51
this shouldnt affect your application in any way shape or form!! most middle eastern airlines are quite strict on medical check ups and htings like that but i believe that is because of how medical insurance works out in the middle east (correct me if i'm wrong anyone) however, in the UK it works differently as you know. even if your astma was still about and you were prescribed inhalers and ventolin etc for it, then im still confident you could become cabin crew with BA. so the fact that your astma is pretty much non existent, i dont think you'll have any problem!! :)

pink27
8th May 2007, 19:52
Thanks for that! I knew that about the middle eastern ones and actually Gulf Air rejected my application cause I had asthma as a child. Anyway looks as everything is all go with BA now, so I'm really excited. I didn't think it would be a problem but I got myself into a panic about it. Thanks again!!

crib08
12th May 2007, 16:03
A job in the public sector would help, but then again it can be up to how you sell yourself on th eday of the interview.

if you want specific answers, PM me with some specific questions :ok:

jazminetia
12th May 2007, 18:15
just graduated from college. anyone who could give me some tips on how to write a flight attendant resume? and do i have a chance to be accepted? coz i am a computer science graduate, obviously not a customer-service related course. and could you give me some preparations tips to become a flight attendant and what to expect if i am to be interviewed??? thanks so much!

SavannahTT
13th May 2007, 09:14
Anyone know what I should do if one of my employers from the past 5 years has since changed the company name and the whole staff new?! I went in the other day to a restaurant I used to work in and knew absolutely nobody! I worked there for like a year but never had a contract or anything so I don't even think there would be any record of me having worked there for new management to fill in a reference. I still know the old manager and where she works but the form says they have to still work there? Can't get through to the recruitment guy to ask him so does anyone here know?!

Thanks!

jia
15th May 2007, 05:47
Does any of the cabin crew here have facial scars? Perfect complexion? Well, to be honest, I think a lot of them are picking based on that unless I am wrong.

mcluhan
15th May 2007, 06:31
never heard of a crew being picked based of themhavin facial scars :suspect:

PPL152
15th May 2007, 12:49
Hey dudes, just got the news I'm starting my first ever training for the post of a cabin crew and hopefully I get the job after!

Thanks to all those who posted here with their advice!!

Vectors Req'd!
16th May 2007, 20:50
savannahTT: I had the same problem with one of my ex employers. The easiest way, and the one the recruitment dept. willl most likely go with, is for you to provide a 'Gap Reference'. This can be someone that has known you for at least 5 years, (including the period you were working at the resteraunt) and is prepared to say that you, to their knoledge worked their. You will also have had to send off a request to the Inland Revenue to confirm your employments, this letter will show that you were actuely working for that company, as opposed to being locked up somewhere!! You get the idea... Hope this helps. P.M me if I can be of anymore assistance...
Vecs :)

missredshoes
21st May 2007, 13:32
Hi everyone!!
I am new to the forum and currently applying for airlines London based as I live in North London...
I currently do not hold a driving licence and wondered if this is going to hamper my chances of employment? I realise it is going to be a pain getting to work if successful and am undertaking an intensive driving course asap but until then I would be using public transport I guess!!! Do many cabin crew get to work in this way?? Or do most drive?? will it be harder to get a job?
Thanks for any help anyone has :)
xx

vickster
22nd May 2007, 11:43
HI everyone , i've applied for emirates and have an interview next week. Thanks for all the usefull info you all have on here its great and has really helped.

ONe question: whats it like to live in the apartments in dubai do you all go out for nights out and stuff ? how often are you at home and able to go out or relax? Does the accomm have pool ???? :O:)

Mijailer
26th May 2007, 14:09
Hi, everybody:
I“m finish the iniciation training, in Madrid. I“d like to know about applications for flight attendants. I don“t care to move to another city.
Can you help me?
Thanks a lot.

Julika
30th May 2007, 11:41
I would like to know about cabin crew in Oman air. All details about it;
i. salary
ii. layover
iii.meal allowance/hotel allowance
iv. accomodation

Thanks in advance. I have been searching about the information in the forum but I couldn't find it. Anyone can help me?

Julika

kingdee
1st Jun 2007, 18:00
I have worked as ground staff since i was 19 now 29 and have now been made redundant.I worked in all areas dispatch/ticket office/check-in etc .I have taken a job on working in a hotel on nights just to tie me over until i find something.I was wondering if any airlines are recruiting at this time o year for cabin crew .Something i have always fancied doing any help or advice \:ugh:

Catherina
3rd Jun 2007, 18:44
hi everybody,

Can anyone provide me info about Ryanair training?

Thanks
C

luther55
6th Jun 2007, 09:27
hi can any1 help me please i just completed my cabin crew course and i got my caa cabin crew license.any charter companies hiring cabin crew with no experience or freeelance work!it seems to be realy dificult to get a job here in sa!any advice would be apreciated!thank you
:ugh:frustrated

QFANZ
7th Jun 2007, 06:55
Hi there

I flown for a while but I'm about to change airlines. The position I am going for is Cabin Manager - direct entry. Has anyone gone through the Cabin Manager interview process recently? and if so, what were some of the questions that came to play?

Although I am very familiar with standard CC interview questions, role plays and assessment centres, CSM interviewing is completely out of my ball game.

Thank heaps everyone.

Edina
7th Jun 2007, 13:23
Hi everyone,

I would like to work as a cabin crew crew but my wrists were broken and therefore I am not able to carry heavy things or stuffs like that. Can you tell me more about the physical requirements? Many thanks.

Edina

whatzmyname
7th Jun 2007, 13:44
Unfortunately this is not the job for you.

You must be able to lift heavy containers in the galley when it's your turn to be the galley operator. Also doing tea and coffe service is sometimes exhausting on your wrists when you are working in economy. Pouring for hundreds of people etc...
Also in first aid cases,if a passenger is incapacitated you must assist in helping to carry the pax to the nearest open spot and some passengers are really huge.
Opening doors especially on the boeing you must have strong arms.
The physical aspect of the job is very demanding.

bigbluesky
10th Jun 2007, 21:25
hi everyone!!
im only new and all! so please be nice! im currently a student and I really really really want to become cabin crew (especially in longhaul! eg: Qantas!) unfortunatley though I suffer from awfull panic attacks (eg: i start feeling trapped and start feeling like I cant breath!) and being on an aircraft triggers my feeling that I am trapped with no air! I know its strange that I want to be cabin crew and yet have a fear of flying! (like a doctor who is afraid of blood i guess!) can anyone offer some reassurance or does anyone know is there a way i can overcome this problem and fulfill my dream?????

yours hopefully!
Bigbluesky :)

Michihasi
19th Jun 2007, 15:11
Hello!

I have a question about the eyesight limits of all the airlines exept Germany and Austria.

I'm short sighted, on my right eye I have about 5,5 dioptres and on my left eye about 6,3.

I already worked as a flight attendant in a charter carrier on ACMI-Basis in Austria. This was my only alternative to work as a flight attendant.
Now I want to apply again as a cabin attendant, but it's not possible in Germany and Austria.

Does anybody now if there are some airlines, with no limits for the eyesight?

bye michi

cabin crew wannabe
20th Jun 2007, 18:50
I really want to become a cabin crew member, I am 18 and well thats my probelm do any airlines prefer people 18 or older with experience?
Should I get more expereince and go to university or are my chances still high? As I dont really see many young cabin crew members.

Can any one help me ?

khalida
20th Jun 2007, 23:02
I am so sorry to tell you that wath i know is that the min age for FA is 21 you still have to wait:(

aftab
25th Jun 2007, 23:49
hi,

i was wondering if there were any airlines recruiting cabin crew. Also what are the chances of working part time whilst at university.

thanks

vodkaholic
26th Jun 2007, 11:46
aftab - i don't know of any airlines that will accept you to work part time as soon as you join the company. part time seems to be very much a priviledge in this industry and many people who are mothers etc, are fighting for the chance to be able to work part time hours. however, there may be smaller companies who do allow this.
most of the charters will start recruiting in october. while sceduled airlines such as virgin, easyjet, ryanair etc. recruit generally all year round.
i finished uni a couple of months early to start my dream job of cabin crew...there is NO WAY i would have been able to do both at the same time. Even though with home standbys your family will think you are working part-time hours, you will soon find that you don't feel like you are!
good luck though!

aftab
30th Jun 2007, 16:57
thanks for the reply vodkaholic.

i would like to be cabin crew for a few years as it give me a good insight, preferebly whilst doing my degree, but my ultimate goal is to become a pilot. Im quite sure someone has done this before, but unfortunately i have lost contact with this person.

thanks

Norway
3rd Jul 2007, 14:55
I`ve got a tattoo on my leg. And I got an job interview for Novair tomorrow... Will they ask me if I got tattoos? And will that be a problem?

Thanks guys!

audrey_ling
5th Jul 2007, 04:27
Hi I aspire to be a Flight Stewardess but was too short to fulfil my dream. I am just 5Ft tall, about 152cm. :=

Flying is my career dream and I really really hope I get a chance to fulfill this dream. :)

A lot of airline require minimum of 158cm or 208cm arm reach but I definitely fall short.

May I know if there is any airline which is less strict on height? http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I don't mind moving to another country shall there be a suitable airline which I can apply

Please advise me, thanks so much and greatly appreciated!!!

audrey_ling
5th Jul 2007, 11:23
sir.pratt

:= who knows one day if i really join cabin crew, and i saw you operating metro, that will be cool. :)

Airbourne-Adamski
5th Jul 2007, 15:25
audrey_ling

I have looked on google for crew jobs 5ft or under, and the only one I found was Air Wales which has now gone bust.

Maybe you should google jobs for cabin crew under 5ft 1 and have a long search through.

Best of luck.

audrey_ling
6th Jul 2007, 02:05
thanks Airbourne-Adamski ! :)

you are so sweet and your help is greatly appreciated. i know for airline job, height is a major factor and i am lacking :ugh: but i won't despair, i will keep trying, perhaps i will stretch taller and at least try for budgeted airline.

worst, if i never make it..i will just be a happy passenger then. i still wish you ladies fly to the sky soon!! :)

chu_hi
15th Jul 2007, 12:04
Bigbluesky - have you sought help? A doctor might recommend medications or hypno-therapy or something. I'm not a doctor, but certain people close to me suffer from panic attacks, and have had some successful treatments.

If flying is your dream, do whatever you need in order to overcome your obstacles. The end will be so much more rewarding!

homer09001
19th Jul 2007, 14:26
Ok so i've put an application into easyJet to hopefully start the career ball rolling, so far 1 day gone by without a "Yes Application accepted/No Sorry" e-mail yet, but i can't seem to find any other airlines based at NCL that are accepting application at the moment ive tried:

BA - Not taking on at NCL
easyJet - still waiting
ThomsonFly - Only taking on at LGW
Thomas Cook - Done for the summer
Monarch - Not sure if NCL is a base
FlyBe - NCL not a base
FlyJet - Done for the summer
Excel - Done for the Summer
KLM - NCL not a base
Ryanair - Dont even go there!!
Jet2 - Done for the summer

what else can i do, just wait??

i know the best answer would be Move to London, fact is i can't afford to im only 20 and i dont have a good enough income at the moment to move out my parents house in Newcastle let alone london.

Airbourne-Adamski
19th Jul 2007, 15:57
With regard to easy, If you have sent in a application you will most likely be held on file and when a position becomes available they may then very well contact you.
I know we are (easy) pretty much fully crewed in the UK however things change very quickly. Keep your eye on the web site.
Also it may be worth considering relocating to find a job as cabin crew.

EG What about an airline that is based in NCL but has no positions there but does somewhere else, if you can get into another base you can alwasys go for tranfere to NCL.

homer09001
19th Jul 2007, 22:31
relocating is not an option i don't earn enough atm to be able to relocate, as much as i want to i just can't :(

as for taking a job with an airline at another base then transferring, possible but still means relocating and i wont be able to transfer imediatly would i?

johnrizzo2000
21st Jul 2007, 11:15
What about flying from MAN? I think if NCL is the only place you can fly from, you'll find it very hard to get a job.

homer09001
21st Jul 2007, 12:33
again i can't relocate i just can't afford to at the moment, there are quite a few airlines with bases at NCL.

i think i may just have to wait till the winter when they start taking on for 2008?

Leito
21st Jul 2007, 13:40
Join Emirates, we are starting the NCL route in September, and you can bid fot the flight if you want to. Think about !!!!

A320 galleybitch
23rd Jul 2007, 02:29
It almost sounds like you want the airlines to come knocking on your door!!! Maybe they could invite you out to lunch at some fancy restaurant and you could dictate your terms and conditions.

Airlines are not going to bend over backwards for you hun. You have to bend over backwards for them.

Be more flexible and you might, one day, end up flying.

Good luck

S-crew'd
23rd Jul 2007, 09:34
Would you consider commuting? A lot of crew commute from further afield to London\Man etc? It can be tough in your first few months but after a while it get a little easier.

I Just Want To Fly
23rd Jul 2007, 19:32
i fly with so many crew who are from NCL, who would love to be based from there, so chances are you will have an extremely high standard of experience applicants at any NCL based airline. I used to work for easyjet, and they generally only recruit for LON bases. You have to transfer into other bases when they become available.

you serously need to think long and hard about why you want this job. alot of people on this forum have been in far worse situations than you, and managed to find a way.

it actually quite annoys me when people look for an easy way in. It took me 13 interviews, years of studying foreign languages, and years of working in customer service jobs, just to get in! you want to work from your home town? imagine not even being able to work from your own country, or hemisphere for that matter, and only being able to go home twice a year cause it takes so long and costs so much. :ugh: (sorry been a bit homesick lately:{)

I moved to the UK from the other side of the world. after paying for my flights i barely had enough money to eat. but i found a way, and lived on bread and cheese through training and well beyond.

if you are not willing to do whatever it takes, then please wait... let someone who IS have the opportunity now, and you can always try again at a later stage after you have saved up enough money to move down to LON.

A320 galleybitch
24th Jul 2007, 06:38
Well said I Just Want To Fly.

These young people (not that I classify my age of 32 old!), just think its so easy to just get a job as cabin crew. And then to want to have everything layed at their feet!

All I can say is: 'Reality check' :rolleyes:

claire62
24th Jul 2007, 18:14
hello, i am hoping that someone can help answer my questions i want to become cabin crew but i have 2 children and i fear this may hold me back what i would like to know is how do airlines work around this problem i am thinking that maybe a short sector airline like easyjet from liverpool airport for a start till the kids are older. What is expected from the interview process do i have to have the right qualifications i am diesting like mad at the moment and i am wondering if i have to all in proportion... what are the hours generally and the traning....

EzyChic
24th Jul 2007, 19:58
Firstly good for you for following your dreams :-)

For interview info I would suggest you check the easyJet recruitment thread.

As for family matters etc I should be able to help, I'll tell you my story and see if it's any help...

Basically, I always fancied becoming CC but it was always out of reach (or so I thought) I always thought I was too fat or just basically didn't think I could do it.

At 19 I got pregnant with my first child, me and the dad didn't stick together so at 20 I was a single parent working part time in a shop (oh and very overweight). One day I decided I didn't want to be fat and joined weight watchers, I lost a lot of weight, I was still overweight but a million times more confident. I started seeing a wonderful man too, nothing serious but we went out a few times, he lived quite far away from me, which was fine as I didn't want to get too involved too soon, or for my baby to be around a strange person.

One day, I was watching day time TV and airline came on, I don't know why, but I decided I could be cabin crew and so filled in an online application there and then.

A few days later I got an email back asking me to go to LTN for an assessment (I live in Bedford so not far from LTN). I was very excited, but very nervous about how it would affect my life, single parent, no family close by, nothing.

Anyhow, I went ahead with the assesment day, after trying to get an idea of childcare etc. I was offered a position with easyJet a couple of days later.

I didn't drive so had to get the train too and from work, I had problems with baby sitters, had to rely on friends a lot and remind my childs father that although we were not together he still had a responsibility to his child.

I did get through the training, however, despite being intellegent (i have 12 GCSEs anyway, i just didn't carry on with my education) I really struggled emotionally as I felt guilty for leaving my baby (he was 10 months at this point), I had housing problems etc etc. I almost failed one of my exams, I wasn't aware at the time, but no one thought I would last long.

I spent 18 months flying as CC with a baby, commuting to work via train at all times, it was absolutley exhausting but I loved it. For my little boys 1st birthday present I took him to Portugal for a week (a bit selfish in a way), but it was just the 2 of us and we had a fantastic time, spent some real quality time together, and I vowed I would bring him up with lots of travelling and let him see there is more to the world then Bedford.

After 18 months I passed my driving test so could now drive to work, which took off tonnes of pressure. And the guy I met when my little boy was young had moved in with us. I then found out I was pregnant with baby no 2 (whoo hoo). easyJet were fantastic and offered me a fab maternity package. I went back to work when baby no 2 was about 10 months old and applied for a promotion, which I got.

I now work as a senior, me and my otherhalf work the nursery run between us, if I can I drop the kids off at nursery and him at work (he can't drive) sometimes I go back to bed, sometimes I don't get the chance. Usually if I can't do the dropping off I can do the picking up, sometimes I can't do either, or I get delayed so have to phone my other half and let him know he needs to pick the kids up. Sometimes (like today) you get delayed and don't get home 'til 2am, but still need to get up at 6am to do your motherly duties before work. But if you love your family and your job it's so worth it.

I try to take the kids away at least once every couple of months, to either a city or a nice beach, they love flying and seeing new cultures, it also gives my other half some time to himself at home too.

If you really want to do it you can, however I can't tell you how hard it will be. You will have to go to LTN for your 4 weeks training which will meen missing your kids (I don't know how old they are).

And I'm sure days you'll feel guilty for not seeing them (leave the house before they get home and get home after they've gone to bed).

However the money isn't bad, you meet fantastic people, and the sense of achievment you'll get from managing a family and a great job is amazing.

I don't know you're exact circumstances, like the age of your kids (I now have an 15mth old and an almost 4 yr old), nursery/school situations etc.

Also bear in mind easyJet is a business, it's not acceptable to expect special treatment because you have kids (IMO). They will give you emergency dependancy leave etc if you need it, but don't expect to be given shorter days, nicer hours or to be excused for being late etc.

If you're happy to deal with the responsibility and you really want it, go for it.

Best of luck, please let us know how you get on.

Ezy

dasilva
25th Jul 2007, 02:28
Hi,

I wanted to know if male cabin crew can have long hair or is it obligated to have short??
my hair is a bit long. If I take my front hair it reaches my chin is that to long or not?

thanks

Leito
25th Jul 2007, 06:16
Honestly, what do you think?, I think that you are kidding!

Redplexus
25th Jul 2007, 07:26
So long as you go skin-head at the back and walk backward it shouldn't be a problem.

Xtra Crew
25th Jul 2007, 08:25
Depends on the airline, I guess. About 1 month ago I flew with BA and the CSD/purser, who seemed to be from Jamaica, had long rastas. I find it good that airlines arent so strict anymore regarding hair cuts. As long as you wear it in a clean manner...

redgirlcrew
25th Jul 2007, 17:39
Hi All

Is there anybody else out there who completed selection process for Virgin in June had an email saying congrats got CC position and has yet to hear anything else. Should I be chasing or is the following normal.
Was told at interview training may be in October. How soon should I expect hear anything? Will I get confirmation in writing, does this happen once security checks have been completed. Was requested not to go away until all had been confirmed but I really have to take two trips one at end of Sept. Help or advice accepted. This site has been fab saving me lots of questions although I still have a million more.

redgirlcrew
25th Jul 2007, 17:50
Hey
I just read your insert. I am 43 married with two grown up kids, one who works abroad and a devoted husband. I always wanted to be CC but was to small 5'2. After a holiday six weeks ago with my daughter in the resort she works in and being told by all the reps I would make a fab rep and then meeting a 50 yr old lady who had just got a job with BA CC i went for it.
I have a position with Virign, waiting for training etc. I now will face a two hour drive LGW one way:D, six weeks away from home training and I have to learn to swim properly. You know what I will do what ever I have to do, this has been a dream and now it is hopefully about to become reality.
If you want it bad enough you will do it.

Dollybrown
26th Jul 2007, 11:55
Hi,

I'm currently cabin crew in the UK. Can anyone tell me what opportunities there are for cabin crew in the Caribbean ideally Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen. Or if it is possible to operate out of Miami?

Cheers :ok:

scorpio88
26th Jul 2007, 23:16
well they dont currently travel to those islands but LIAT is recruiting for cabin crew

Dollybrown
27th Jul 2007, 07:04
Thanks I'll look into that.

steviesky
31st Jul 2007, 22:57
For any newbies applying for airline cabin crew jobs there is a copy of this gospel by Sonia Davis for sale on the famous auction website, can I say Ebay here??

Anyway, it's a good read and helped me.

steppinout
2nd Aug 2007, 22:05
I would really like to apply to be cabin crew and give excellent customer service in my current job, however would it be unadvisable to apply as I often suffer from a sore throat and ears?

sinala1
3rd Aug 2007, 00:05
I am sure you have probably already done this, but go to a doctor to find out if there is something that is repeatedly causing your blocked ears etc. It may be as simple as changing your diet, changing multi-vitamins etc - or even an alergy you don't know about!

Unfortunately I would say that if you often get sore throats but particularly blocked ears, then you would have difficulty in happily maintaining a flying job. There are plenty of tablets you can get that will clear you up, but you don't want to be living on those forever!

Good luck :ok:

guyabano124
6th Aug 2007, 12:16
i have a question. if it is an OPEN DAY does that mean the Airline is really..BADLY in need of FA's? what is the reason behind an OPEN DAY? because here, aside from the ongoing recruitment/assessment of EMIRATES and QATAR every month..i was surprised why there is a need for an OPEN DAY?:) im just curious why. thanks!

dyal1
8th Aug 2007, 03:40
Hi all,

i am curious to know what are peoples opinions on braces. i am thinking about getting them but am a little apprehensive as i think they might hurt my chances when going for airline interviews.

any ideas?

Lou Scannon
8th Aug 2007, 10:34
I think that most people interviewing you would either think back to when they had braces or think back and wish that they had had them fitted.

Either way they will probably recognise that here is someone who has pride in their appearance and is prepared to make the most of themselves.

You could also check with your dentist as there are "invisible" braces available now. (But might be too expensive).

Smoggy
8th Aug 2007, 10:53
I imagine the main reason for holding an 'open day' would be cost.

You can potentially see hundreds of candidates in 1 day, and also only require the recruitment guys to have one day out a month, rather than 1 or 2 every week.

Also, you can compare the standard of candidates much better if you see them all at once.