PDA

View Full Version : Virgin UK - Crew Discussions

TightSlot
9th Jan 2007, 08:56
This thread for those already employed by Virgin UK to discuss whatever...

Gpik
9th Jan 2007, 09:59
Any Virgin Atlantic crew out there who are going to apply for VB exchange 5?:rolleyes:

xflyer
10th Jan 2007, 16:20
Hi Guys!,

Don’t know if there’s any VAA people here that can help out – we are trying to get hold of the current John Rocha uniform blouse – nothing else from the uniform! For a memorabilia / textiles project. Will pay £30-£40 if anyone can help! Drop us a message!

Thanks peeps! :O

Jim

Emmy Lou
12th Jan 2007, 17:45
:O Hi All,

I think I belong on this forum now as I have just accepted my position as a IFBT for Virgin!
I also think that I may get more relevant info to some questions from those of you already flying for Virgin.
I was wondering what the breakdown of time away for different trips would be. I am going to be an Inflight Beauty Therapist so will only be flying on routes out of Heathrow.
I am married and my husband would like to know how much time he is likely to get to spend with me now! (I don't know whether a little or a lot would make him happier?!)
If anyone could let me know I would be very grateful!

Emmy Lou X

I Just Want To Fly
14th Jan 2007, 04:40
I start on monday, as normal cc, but i seem to remember them saying that we will all get 9 clear days off a month. some flights, you might arrive back to LHR at 6.00am, and have the rest of the day off, that is not an RDO, as you still worked for 6 hours that day. this would then be followed by 2-3 days off. make sense? this would be regardless of which routes you operate. they also said that we would get about 4-6 trips a month. so that means the average length of a trip is 3-4. Basically work 3-4 days, then get 2-3 off from what i can calculate. Good luck with your training!!! see you online!

majorspannermonkey
18th Jan 2007, 12:47
Dear anyone,

Sorry to butt in on your forum though my fiance has worked for virgin for a rew months now, worked christmas and new year as well as every weekend in Jan. She has got her roster for Feb and has again been stiffed with every weekend, a bit of a pain as i work away during the week.

Also although she is based at Heathrow, she gets as many Gatwick flights, adding more that the '1 hour' rostered onto her timesheet

Is this normal practice for Virgin to give all the unsocialble flights and inaccurate timesheets to thier new junior crew and is it going to get any better.

Many thanks

Emmy Lou
18th Jan 2007, 16:40
Hi All,

Are there any married long haulers out there who can tell me (honestly) whether their job affects their relationship?
I am new to Virgin and have not worked for any other airline. I am going to be an IFBT and would like to know how things work.

Emmy Lou. xxx

vodkaholic
18th Jan 2007, 16:58
well, just look at the thread before yours lol

Virgin Boi
18th Jan 2007, 21:08
majorspannermonkey,

Good question...

Firstly, just to clarify, your fiance is not based at Heathrow. She is based in London. Which means she will be rostered flights usually only out of Heathrow and Gatwick. Juniors get quite an equal split of flights from Gatwick and Heathrow.

When she is promoted to Senior she will get mainly flights from Heathrow due to the fact that there are less seniors on Gatwick flights.

She can expect to work every Xmas and New Yr until she has enough seniorty within her rank to successfully bid for the time off. (Probably around
3 yrs).

Weekend flights are not rostered to junior crew members. Some months she will work every weekend, some months some of them, and occasionally she might get them all off! It is random (tho I agree it doesnt always seem like it).

Im sure her roster is not inaccurate, and just to let you both know, commuting to and from work at her base (London) is not counted in her accountable "work hours". The crew bus does run to a scheduled journey time of 1 hour 10 mins, and almost always that is correct (traffic permitting of course!)

I hope thats cleared up some of your concerns...

VB

majorspannermonkey
19th Jan 2007, 13:37
To Virgin Boi,

Thanks very much for that, it does clarify a few points though it all seems to be extremely random and generally unplanned. To bring into context, I have no problem with the xmas and new year and as the other half, I also have no problem with her working weekends.

What i do have issue with is that with 3000 crew, it can't be that difficult to give an even and fair spread accross the month for everyone rather than relying on perhaps next month being different on a random basis?

With regard to the bus and the roster, the roster adds an hour onto the report time and does not take into account the bus timings. Therefore, the acutal report time required is generally before the time stated on the roster.

ps. if she is based at london rather than heathrow i expect she can therefore park at both car parks?

To Emily Lou,

We are not married yet, though will be this year. I am in the military and am currently away during the week until May and am also off to the US for 3 weeks in Mar. Therefore, our current situation is not the best, especially as we also need to attend at the church. I have been and will be next month though at some point I expect the vicar will want to see both of us!

I remain open and hopeful that the situation will improve and can only remain supportive.

varga girl
19th Jan 2007, 20:43
Thought I'd try and put a bit more of a positive spin on things!!
You can park in both carparks(LHR and LGW), I find this a hell of a lot easier than missing a bus by 10 minutes and having to wait another hour for the next one when you're knackered after a flight but it's probably cheaper to use the bus!! As for weekends, it is completely random and I know it can be a bit of a pain but when your girlfriend can request, with a bit of tactical requesting, she should be able to get at least two weekends off a month (eg. requesting an LA on a Monday, should give her the weekends before and after off!) Also, if your weekends are that precious, she could always go on Vswap and do back to back trips for extra days off!
It's not perfect but I've worked for Virgin for nearly 5 years and me and my boyfriend have made it work-the best bit about it is that he comes away with me on trips a lot then it's like a mini holiday that I'm being paid for!! Just hang in there till the concessions kick in!!

helo425
19th Jan 2007, 23:30
Majorspannermonkey

I am in your situation. (Me military, she Snr Crew).

It is difficult and there will be times when you do not see much of each other.

But you do get used to it.

It does help in a kind of way as you get breaks from each other but it is very had for family when you are away on det.

kmp1
20th Jan 2007, 03:40
Varga,

Just wondering about parking at both airports?
I was told I had to chose one or the other? Could you let me know what is involved with both? Do I have to pay for one in that case?

thanks.

majorspannermonkey
20th Jan 2007, 09:30
Cheers Varga Girl,

I will see if we can try that and try and work the system.

Many thanks

glamourgirl!
20th Jan 2007, 18:51
Re parking.

You have to choose Lhr or lgw as your car park, however if you have a flt out of lgw you are allowed to park there. but if you choose lgw as your main car park you are only allowed to park there and use the bus service to Lhr.Hope this helps.

aar4n5
20th Jan 2007, 22:20
Been browsing the Virgin Recruitment site and i've come across an ad for safety training instructor, was wondering why there is an external advert for this as i thought that most airlines only took internal crew for these sorts of positions ?
Was thinking of applying as my current airline has no training opportunities and thats really the field that i want to get into was wondering if any current VS crew could shed any light on the position as the advert doesn't say much about the experience requried for the role, although it does say experience as operational crew is essential but not training experience.

Emmy Lou
21st Jan 2007, 11:12
See Replying with quotes (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249532) thread

Emmy Lou
21st Jan 2007, 11:15
See Replying with quotes (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249532) thread

MzGuilty
21st Jan 2007, 12:47
The car parking arrangements changed in March 06. You now only get one parking pass. If you choose LHR, you can no longer park at LGW. You need to catch the bus which runs around every hour to hour and a half. Add to that you need to leave extra time in case you hit traffic and miss the bus, it adds a lot to the day. In reverse, you often land and just miss the bus back, so you have to sit around for an hour and wait for the next. It's a major pain and does not count towards hours and fatigue. :mad: Not sure how legal that is. If Virgin won't provide a pass for the correct airport, then you'd think they'd have to allow the extra travel time you are expected to do.

As for weekends, you get one off a month, but this can be Fri-Sat, Sat-Sun or Sun-Mon. Crew who have been there a year can bid for one trip a month, or one time off a month. Many tend to bid for a four day trip on a Monday, which means they get two Sat-Sun off a month.

jam123
21st Jan 2007, 17:46
Hi there

I would be grateful for someone in the know could to tell me how VS staff travel works. I have been on all of the threads and there is very little on this subject.

1) I know you get 7 free tickets (only tax to be paid) per year after your probation but can you use these for your family too? and what does family constitute? i take it brother,, sister, husband, wife, mum, dad, children etc do they have to have the same surname?

2) if you want to fly to a destination where virgin dont fly then how much do you pay on another carrier? is it 10 % and does this also extend to the family?

3) I understand all tickets are on a stanby basis, but what if you manage to get outbound seats for your family but then not on your return does it mean they are stranded out there???

4) and finally virgin offer a scheme called MATES amd MATES PLUS. how much do you pay for these tickets and could it be any of your friends?

I would be very grateful if someone could answer these burning questions

many thanks

Jam123

sirual80
21st Jan 2007, 19:53
Hey jam123,

Here's how it goes:

1. You can use concessions for your family and friends. It is split into 4 categories and different restrictions apply to each. For instance, your spouse may travel with or without you on Virgin and other airlines. Your nominated companion (other than your spouse) can travel without you on Virgin and very few other airlines (from handy ones BMI and Aer Lingus). Your family can travel with or without you on Virgin but NOT other airlines. And then you have 4 companions who can be anyone, they must travel with you and can only travel on Virgin. In addition to those you can take up to 4 people with you who are not on the list when you travel Virgin. As to surname - they don't have to have the same surname but you may be asked to prove they are your family if they don't.

2. It's split into zones but I suppose roughly it does come to about 10% of the FULL fare. Say, to travel within Europe with taxes you'd probably pay about 50-60 £ for a return trip.

3. Yes they will get stranded. If it is about your spouse, since they are permitted to travel on other airlines, they can have back-up tickets. But your family would have to plead with other carriers like BA to take them on, which they occasionally do, but most likely they would have to wait for the next Virgin flight hoping there is space on it for them. I've just had a friend stranded in LA for 3 days because of that, so be ready. Flight loads can change very suddenly due to cancellations and all sorts.

4. Mates and Mates Plus are confirmed tickets. Mates+ you can get for anyone who is on your staff travel form, mates you can get for anyone you like. They tend to be about 10-20% off the normal price. Mates+ about 25-30% off.

Hope this helps!

jam123
22nd Jan 2007, 09:55
Thanks Sirual80 for your very informative reply.....

Just one point, do family (siblings etc) qualify for the ZED fares?

Thanks

jam123

kmp1
22nd Jan 2007, 09:56
Thanks Mz Guilty!

thanks for clarifying the parking thing -- Yes, that sounds like what they told us in the interview. (Parking at only one airport and then shuttle between)

bmicrew
23rd Jan 2007, 10:03
Hi,

I used to work for VS in 2002 and only stayed for 5 months as I was very young and thought I would be better at a smaller airline.

However it has been my biggest regret ever, I have tried to come come back twice but never passed the first stage of the interview.

When I had my leaving interview my Crew Line Manager Sam Rashid said that if I ever wanted to come back just let her know, unfortunately she has now left leaving me not many options or any contacts.

Can anyone help or have any advice as I would love to work for Virgin Atlantic again. :confused:

Thanks

Jon

ltn and beyond
23rd Jan 2007, 21:44
Hi Jon

Sorry to hear you can;t get back into Virgin. I actually did 6 years service then took a career break, and I can't believe that I have tried twice to get back in but keep getting turned down!

I honestly don't know why Virgin are being like this! It feels like they want to give other people a chance because we left!

Just keep trying, I am sure it will pay off in the end!

Oh, just a thought, but maybe you could talk to another CLM or even recruitment and see what they suggest.

Good Luck

Ballast
1st Feb 2007, 11:10
Posting on behalf of my daughter - a recent starter (late last year)

She wants to book leave in June 07, which will be after the end of her probation period. As with all holiday/hotel bookings they are filling fast and require deposits etc. now.

The Virgin system has come back and said her leave request is being queued and they will be able to tell her in April/May whether she has been granted the leave.

This means she could loose the monies that have to be paid upfront as no indication can be given that the leave will be granted. This seems very strange to me (an outsider to the industry).I quite understand that leave is on a first come/first serve basis and that there cannot be too many people off at the same time but surely a clear indication can be given that she is (or isnt) first in the queue for the particular period in question and therefore going to get the request granted or refused. This sort of limbo state of "we will tell you later" looks inefficient and bad for morale to me.

Of course this could be all wrong as I only have one side of the story

sukigirl
1st Feb 2007, 21:12
Leave isnt actually allocated on first come first serve, its down to seniority and unfortunately as your daughter is so new to the company she is not as likely to get the leave she has requested if its a popular time to take it. As there are so many crew above her in seniority.
Unfortunately many other new crew will be in the same situation and i'm afraid it is a case of waiting to find out. This will only be because she is in her probation though. For the 2nd half of the year she will be able bid and get her allocation at the same time as everyone else. On the other hand if she doesnt find out untill may, then that will surely mean that the only month left for her leave to be given will be in june, as she has to take her leave owed to her before the 2nd half of the year.
One of the downsides of this job is that nothing is guarenteed and its never a good idea to book or pay a deposit untill you have it in writing.

majorspannermonkey
2nd Feb 2007, 23:51
This leave issue is indicative of this company i'm afraid. My fiancee was told by her CSM that she was unlikely to get leave for our honeymoon and that she would try for the day of our wedding but wasn't hopeful. Good motivation for employees.

On top of this, I am a little shocked if not appaled that she was put into a hotel in Barbados where there have been assaults and not only were the some crew put into rooms that did not have locking doors, they were not located together.

Virgin Atlantic seems to have a really good reputation, though if the way my fiancee has been treated is common then i am not surprised that so many people leave.

Also, I would like to point out that if V-swap is getting over 86,000 swaps in a year it is not something to be proud about, your scheduling obviously isn't working effectively and there are a lot of people wasting their off time sorting it out on their own!

In a World where the human factors part of flight safety is key, how long before a major incident will bubble to the surface? It's simple, if you look after the people who work for you, they won't go sick over christmas and they won't leave!

sukigirl
3rd Feb 2007, 11:30
I half agree with your comments majorspanner,
There is no need for them to be so akward about taking time of for your own wedding and honeymoon, As long as you can prove you are defo getting married (you'd be suprised what some crew will do to get guarenteed days of!) They say that you will have highest priority over any other seniority, however when I wanted the time of for my wedding they said the same, that they couldnt guarentee :ugh: but it wasnt a problem when I spoke to the actual individual who is in charge of sorting out wedding leave. I think the csm's can sometimes enjoy being a bit difficult

However with regards to vswap, it was the best thing the company ever did. There is almost over 4000 cabin crew in the company and they cant possibly know who prefers what flight/days off etc.. Equally a lot of people use vswap to change their flight on the same day eg. bom for ewr, its not all about days of. I think it was a very positive move for us.

I couldnt comment on the bgi hotel as I hadnt actually heard of any incidents happening there, when I stayed there there were locks on all doors, every hotel has locking doors, do you mean there was no chain or deadbolt?however if that is the case it definately needs to be addressed.

varga girl
5th Feb 2007, 15:24
Majorspannermonkey.
Think you need to have serious chat with your fiancee as you're so clearly not happy with her doing a job in which she doesn't get every weekend off! Possibly sort this before the wedding!
I actually think that the fact that Virgin allocate leave in seniority order is great seeing as seniority counted for bugger all else now and V swap is definitely the best and most helpful thing the company have ever done for us. There are a lot of things that Virgin do that really p*ss me off (don't even get me started on CSMs!!) but V swap is great, to be able to completely change your roster is something that not many other companies would allow.
You can get unpaid leave for weddings-your fiancee would need to speak directly to crew records (address on IFLY). No point speaking to CSMs as they know nothing!
Just out of curousity, does your girlfriend feel as annoyed by Virgin as you do?
Don't mean to be nasty-just you seem very negative about a lot.

Barbarella1
10th Feb 2007, 14:52
I agree with you Varga Girl, if his fiancee really feels that the company is so bad, then she knows where the door is, generally at either L1 or L2:) :)

There are other issues with leave and stuff, and yeah at times the CSMs are not the people to talk to, Crew Records deal with all that, and I would recommend going direct to them! For the woman who's daughter works for VS, you are told at the interview that you are NOT guaranteed any holidays when you start flying for us.

VSwap best invention ever as it helps those at LHR get more LHR flights and vice versa at LGW. As a system that is understood within the company, probably better if you dont work for us then you dont discuss it as you OBVIOUSLY do not know the reasoning behind it or how it works!! It may be an idea that before you go off on one at the company your other half has chosen to work for, you should maybe speak to them about the issues!

With regards BGI, that is something that is being dealt with internally!

bluestar
18th Feb 2007, 19:08
hello everyone!

this may have been asked before but i cant find the thread.

i've heard from galley fm that crewing cannot roster you for the same flight twice in 1 month, does anyone know if this is true?

also since when has the florida 2 rule apply to cc?
i thought that was just for the f/c :hmm:

cheers :ok:

glamourgirl!
18th Feb 2007, 20:55
Yes U can defo get same flight more than once have done numerous rosters with multiple mco/jfk/ in fact this month I have 3 jfks and 2 shanghai's. Florida rule been around a while for cabin crew at least 5 years.

wilco5
18th Feb 2007, 20:57
bluestar,

Florida 2 has always applied to our cabin crew as far as I know...

As far as destinations are concerned, i think the rule is no more than twice in the same month can we get the same destination. Unfortuantley tho, i think Virgin classify ewr and jfk as different destinations! :ugh:

bluestar
18th Feb 2007, 21:13
thanks for that, heard so many things, but in the past i have swapped mco's and had only 1 day off, they didnt say anything, maybe it was a one off. :confused:

r.s
20th Feb 2007, 23:19
Hi guys, has anybody heard the rumours regarding the pay deal CC89 have just rejected? 2% over 18 months but with 2 MONTHS OF STANDBY IN A YEAR!!!!! If this is true they must really hate us all.

Heard that because they threatened strikes etc, BA juniors are now on basic of 18k!

This may just be galley fm but I'd love to hear if anybody else has heard anything.

Virgin_girlie
21st Feb 2007, 17:29
As we are dual based at Virgin...was just wondering where those of you who have worked there a while live? Nearer Heathrow or Gatwick? I've just got a job with Virgin (woohoo!) but stressing about finding accommodation. Relocating from Glasgow :) Getting something temporary near Gatwick for the training, but after that, I reckoned I'd be better off near Heathrow as more flights go from there. I know it's a long way from Gatwick then, but I think it'd be better being near ONE, than in the middle and fairly far from BOTH.

Anyone have any pointers...areas with good links to both, or just general advice on which one to live nearer? Would really, really appreciate hearing your experience of it!

Jill

High as a Kite
22nd Feb 2007, 19:10
Hi r.s.

There's no truth in the rumour of 2 months of standby a year. If anything it is likely to move in the opposite direction (a return to 1 block of standby a month rather than a whole standby month).

The recent threatened BA strike was not directly related to basic pay. It was centred around a new sickness policy, pensions and Purser positions on the 747.

Don't you just love "Galley FM" ;)

High as a Kite
22nd Feb 2007, 19:16
Hi Virgin Girlie,
Congratulations on getting the job :ok:
We are dual based at LGW and LHR. There is no easy answer to the question of where is the best place to live as we have crew who live all over the UK (and some even further afield).
For the training course I would advise staying close to LGW as there is a lot to take in everyday without the added stress of a commute to/from The Base .
Although most of our flights depart from LHR you will be probably be rostered a fair amount of LGW flights as well because of the high number of Cabin Crew (formerly known as Junior) positions on the LGW based 747s.
Virgin operate an hourly shuttle bus service between the LHR and LGW so it's not too difficult to get from one airport to the other.
Hope this helps :)

Virgin_girlie
22nd Feb 2007, 21:15
Thank you! :D And thanks for the help - that has definitely eased my mind! Just getting a bit stressed with the old relocation stuff! Lol:eek: I'd completely forgotten about the shuttle in between, that was a great help to know, makes me worry a lot less. Will take your advice and look for somewhere as close as possible to the Base as I don't want the added stress, you're right. Is the Base far from the terminal? And the Office? Or is that the same thing, lol.

Well I'm off to look for somewhere to stay, again, thanks for your help :)

High as a Kite
23rd Feb 2007, 11:11
You're very welcome :)

I can totally understand the stress of relocating and taking on a new job :eek:

The Base is a short bus journey from Gatwick. Virgin operate their own bus service plus there are regular public services as well.

The Office is just across the road from The Base.

Good luck with your accommodation search. If there's anything else you want to ask, please give me a shout.

r.s
24th Feb 2007, 13:16
Hi high as a kite,

I do very much love galley FM, it's amazing ehat you hear sitting on boxes in the galley in the middle of the night! Heard some wild things last night too.

GTCrew
24th Feb 2007, 13:45
Hi High as a Kite... just wondering about that bus you mentioned from Gatwick to The Base... where does it leave from or how frequently does it run? Thanks...

High as a Kite
24th Feb 2007, 14:47
Hi r.s.

What sort of wild things?! Do share.......

High as a Kite
24th Feb 2007, 14:52
Hi GTCrew,
The Virgin operated bus leaves from Concorde House every 20 minutes from 07:40am to 12:40pm.

There are also public services from the South Terminal bus station. Timetables for service number 10 and 100 can be found on http://www.metrobus.co.uk

TightSlot
25th Feb 2007, 06:32
A gentle reminder that this is a thread for Cabin Crew already employed at Virgin - those considering employment should use the Virgin wannabees thread.

Virgin_girlie
25th Feb 2007, 11:55
High as a Kite - thank you SO much for your support, it's great to talk to someone who has been there! The bus info is extremely useful as I'll need to find that for my uniform fitting - have just looked up that website, thanks so much for that :ok: I should just stop worrying really, thousands of other crew have managed, lol. :uhoh: Can't wait to just get to London and find my feet!

Thanks for everything, I really appreciate it :)

Jill

High as a Kite
25th Feb 2007, 12:13
Hi Jill,

No problem. It might have been a "few" years ago when I joined but I still remember what it was like.

Good luck with your move and the training.

See you onboard soon :ok: :ok:

Cheers Marc

Airbourne-Adamski
10th Mar 2007, 15:21
Hi Virgin Guys,

Question for you lot, and maybe you can help.

I used to fly with some great guys at Flybe and a few years ago moved to Virgin. I just wondered if any of you who know them...........
Ryan Johnston and Joanne Cavey,

Both were ex flybe crew based out of Jersey.

If you know them would you be so kind as to say hello for old times. Thank
you.

Virgin_girlie
10th Mar 2007, 15:42
Marc,

Sorry to bug you again :p - just a quick question... is the virgin-run bus free? Can trainees use it? Your advice re the buses was fantastic, I got timetables from the website you gave and I had no problem getting to the base the other day for my fitting, so thanks! :)

Just hoping I don't have to pay three quid every day for a bus (aswell as my train fare, argh!)

Thanks,
Jill x

Jenn
15th Mar 2007, 16:38
Hey Guys,

I am seeking advice from exsiting crew...!

At my uniform fitting the lady said that we wld need to get a black hardbk suitcase - does anyone have any guidance on the sort of size it shld be?!

I have been looking today & they vary sooo much!! I finally settled on one which I knew wld be big enough for 7-9 days worth of stuff ((as i guess that is currently the longest trip) but it suddenly looks huge now ive got it home!!

Help!! Thanks Jenn x

High as a Kite
16th Mar 2007, 00:44
Hi Jill,

No worries. You can ask me as many questions as you like :)

The Virgin operated bus is free of charge and you can use it from day one onwards.

Until you get issued with your ID you will need to show the driver some sort of proof that you are employed by Virgin (like the letter offering you the job).

Seats on the bus are on a first come, first served basis so you may want to arrive a little bit earlier in case you don't manage to get on the first one.

Wishing you lots and lots of luck with your training. Let me know if you've got any more questions.

Take care.

Cheers Marc :ok:

High as a Kite
16th Mar 2007, 00:48
Hi Jenn,

Although the case you've got looks huge, it's amazing how quickly it's fills up with the many changes of outfit you might want to bring on a trip plus all the lovely bargains you pick up at the shops whilst you're away ;)

You might want to invest in a smaller case for night stops.

Cheers Marc :ok:

Virgin_girlie
16th Mar 2007, 17:53
Hi Marc,

Thanks so much for that, I really appreciate it - hate feeling in the dark about everything! That bus sounds great, might not risk it on the first day, but at least it'll save a bit of money!

Thanks for all your help :p

Jill x

sign-it-to-your-room
17th Mar 2007, 13:28
(SPANNER IN THE WORKS) My what an old fanny you are! LOL
I'd slaughter my husband if he interfered in my work as you do.
I really don't think air crew is the job for your fiancee....hang on let me rephrase that. I really dont think air crew is the job that your fiancee should do if she is to spend her life with you.

Lets get something straight on this thread. Being is aircrew is unpredicatable and exciting. Thats why we do it. All other airlines have the same policies with leave, bids etc, just not as flexible as Virgin. If you want a safe job where you can plan where you are going to be one month to the next and have weekends off, then find an office!

In 13 years I have never heard of anyone being refused wedding leave, but appreciate that to a newbie the CSMs comments are misleading.

So there! :}

sukigirl
18th Mar 2007, 11:40
Hi Guys, sorry to bring conversation of topic slightly but I have a personal issue that I really need to bring up with the union (I am a member) However I really dont know who to get hold of or how to as I dont have a list of contacts, if anyone could help me please could you PM or email me, obviously I dont expect anyone to post peoples personal details publicly on here.
Many Thanks, suki :ok:

DELTABOY
19th Mar 2007, 17:44
Hi Folks,
Just a quickie to find out if Virgin crew get any concessionary travel with Air Southwest. I'm looking to commute possibly from Plymouth.

Thanks

virgincrew99
30th Mar 2007, 14:01
well ladies and gents here we go another terrible pay offer by the virgin atlantic establishment here is what the company has offered its cabin crew and to say the least this is an outrage

"Pay Offer Information for non CC89/Amicus members
You will be aware that we have been negotiating terms and conditions of pay with CC89/Amicus. We have now concluded our discussions and presented a final offer of a twelve month deal.

For those non-members here are the details on the offer as ultimately you will be affected. The offer is currently being voted on by CC89/Amicus members. The ballot will close on 20 April 2007.

1. Basic Pay

2% uplift on basic pay with effect from 1 April 2007, for 12 months. This is in line with the award made to other staff groups.

We would keep new entrant salaries at the existing rates.

2. Trip Pay

A 2% uplift on Trip pay for all ranks with effect from 1 April 2007 for 12 months.

3. Monthly standby

In order for us to continue with the system of monthly standby we need the following changes to the Agreement.
- Crew to be rostered 6 blocks of standby in 3 years
- We need to reset the standby counts to zero for newly promoted crew
- Change 4 hour call outs to have an AV day before the 4 hour block
- The guaranteed weekend off to become guaranteed time off
- Staggered start dates (throughout the month) for the standby period with protection around Christmas/New Year
- Crew who are sick on a standby month will be re-rostered their standby month

4. Promotional Pay Review

On promotion with effect from 1 April 2007 all ranks of crew will receive the basic rate of pay for their new rank at March 2007’s pay rates. After 12 months of successful performance they will move to the rate of pay uplifted by 2%.

If you have any further questions please feel free to talk to your manager.

Jenny Crinnion
Head of Cabin Services

speedmarque
30th Mar 2007, 14:46
www.britishairwaysjobs.com :}

loopeylisa
30th Mar 2007, 16:46
Hi sorry to sound dumb but I am due to start with Virgin in May.. so does this offer mean people have to vote and if everyone is against it, it doesnt happen ??

MzGuilty
30th Mar 2007, 16:52
Pay rise is due 1st April, which I think says it all really! I know which box I'll be putting my cross in :mad:

virgincrew99
30th Mar 2007, 18:06
hey loopy
the payrise is an absolute disgrace !! as a new crew member the payrise would not affect you in the short term anyway as your pay is frozen for a year at £10851 which is terrible. this was never the way before after six month you use to get a pay increase this however is nolonger the case. my advice for you loopy is to join the union the minute you have the opportunity whilst you are doing your training as i can see these pay talks getting rather nasty in virgin after all we did get screwed over in the last talks and to be honest crew moral is at an all time low with crew down shortages and the introduction of variable manned flights.

loopeylisa
30th Mar 2007, 19:13
ha, even less than that, its £10,185 I think.

union ? do u have to pay for this lol ?

so, is this def going to happen then ? the weekend thing annoys me a bit, the non guaranteed thingy.

Fournier Boy
30th Mar 2007, 19:43
Tell you what guys and girls, at least you get the chance to vote. Other departments in this airline get given the 2% like it or lump it - theres no vote.

Weekends - whats a weekend? When the flightcrews break the plane, people often lose their days off to come and fix it. Try working 16-20hour days for four days in a row, then a couple of days off (if you don't end up coming back in to help out due to shortages - eg crew check in at the moment). If you guys go crew down out of spite, you cause problems for your colleagues. If we don't go to work, our aeroplanes don't fly, we don't make any money, airline stops, people lose jobs.

Be thankful you have a union on your side, you work in a very fragile industry, don't make it harder than it already is. If you don't like it then leave and stop causing problems for the others that are there to pick up the pieces.

Its the same throughout the whole industry, every company is in the same situation. We are lucky that we have as many extra perks as we do, some companies I've worked for don't even come close.

For the work load that is asked for us all under normal circumstances, we are well looked after, when people start to be bitchy, thats when it falls apart and gets harder. Today I heard nothing but complaints - but they were all caused by your colleagues trying to be militant - its called teamwork - if you all turn up to work, your job will get easier. If flights go to plan we'll make more money therefore we all get rewarded each airshare. Cause problems, we lose money, things get cut back, people lose jobs - I've seen it happen before.

If you feel strongly enough to strike, then you'll feel strongly enough to leave. I'm sure there are plenty of youngsters out there willing to take your place instead.

snxlou101
30th Mar 2007, 20:37
Fournier Boy... we had this same debate between ba crew and groundstaff and to be honest why shouldn't crew get the pay rise they deserve like it has been said 2% is not even close to inflation. Now I don't know how the pay scales on the ground are at virgin compared to ba but I know ba groundstaff where paid alot more than crew(oh and i'm at lgw not the golden runaway) so therefore crew are probably paid alot less. I know Virgin crew and compared to the amount of work they do they don't get paid alot.
Oh and this whole attitude of well if you don't like it leave.....WHY??? what has happened with the fighting spirit of getting paid the amount people should... we are all in the same fragile airline industry regardless of what job we do..however the one's that seem to be in pocket are the managers.... i'm sure it's the same at Virgin..... and why haven't you got a union??? why don't you get out there and fight for one as opposed to sitting back and saying at least the crew have one.... form one your in your right to do so in the meantime I would suggest you try and support your colleagues as one day you might just need them to do the same for you!!!!!!!!!!!:ugh:

Right Way Up
30th Mar 2007, 20:48
FB,
I am afraid I have to disagree with your sentiments. Not all of the industry is fragile. Only the companies that are poorly run i.e. companies like VA. Virgin is a shadow of its former self, and that is because of very very poor management. An example of this is the shockingly high lease rates on the ex-Alitalia aircraft. Why should the crew or even you pay for their ineptitude. In fact standing upto them may result in a deadwood clearout, and possibly an improvement in how the company fares.
I myself remember fondly the once proud airline that was a trendsetter. I fear VA has become the type of airline it was designed to usurp.

Gpik
30th Mar 2007, 22:45
Our NEW head of cabin services is obviously after a nice fat bonus from her boss, id actually prefer she came and slapped me in the face for working EVERY flight this year crew down! Cheers for your thanks its REALLY NOT! appreciated!. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: oh and fournier_boy are you for real?

Litebulbs
31st Mar 2007, 13:28
Coz its a bit controversial about VS, so best bury it!

Jcdcon
31st Mar 2007, 15:15
As a Senior CCM for VAA, I decided to post my first reply to a thread on here in response to the very emotive topic of the pay discussions.

I don't expect this to go down v well but as am employee of the company and a reg member of this Forum, I am entitled to post my opinion.

I earned what I consider a decent basic salary last year (just short of £20k + about £5k trip allowances). Now as a mid 30's guy who used to work as a Recruitment Consultant, I consider that to be fair, based on the hours per month I work.

I agree with FB regarding our right to vote - other areas of the company simply accept what they are given in relation to pay rises. And they can see the bigger picture.

Crew down has been a major issue, but we should not lay all responsibilty on the company - we all know that people call in sick with great ease - and in a large proportion of cases, trips are fully rostered, it is sickness which results in flights going crew down.

Whilst I would never tell someone to simply move to another company if they are dissatisfied with their employment conditions, it has to be pointed out that we all knew the rates of pay and conditions of employment when we signed our contracts. What has changed since then??

Comparing us to other airlines will not achieve very much - charter work longer hours and don't really have the lifestyle we do in terms of trips away and days off. BA is in a league of their own in terms of size, schedules and route networks, and VAA cannot compete with them on a fair basis money wise. They simply make a lot more money so have more to dish out.

VAA is still a great place to work - I dont know of any other airline which gives employees the benefits we have.

I just thought I should perhaps be the lone voice on this post stating that we have to look at the bigger picture - we are paid fairly for our roles, and negative crew who do not enhance a customer's experience really only damage their own prospects as that person will not fly with VAA again, which obv equates to reduced profits.

Perhaps if some of the people who work for VAA were as vocal in their committment to providing excellent service to passengers on board, as they are on here, then we would not be in the middle of a slanging match regarding what they consider to be unfair conditions of employment.

Litebulbs
31st Mar 2007, 15:26
RPI is 4.6% at the moment, so a 2% pay increase equates to being 2.6% worse off on where you were last year. Not good in any way.

TightSlot
31st Mar 2007, 16:07
Moderator - why merge this into a thread about Virgin in general ?
The thread is merged into a thread for viewing by existing Virgin Crew - who are presumably the intended audience? (as opposed to the gazillions of wannabees). You'll find that those interested will read the thread and discuss it - we merge threads just to try and keep the forum under control: There are many other airlines as well, and we need to try and keep things manageable, both for us, and other users.

Litebulbs
31st Mar 2007, 17:46
But in doing what you have done, Tight Slot, you have removed the impact factor of the original post. I believe it was made to draw attention to the alleged plight of VS cabin crew, but it appears that you have decided that it should not be seen in that way.
Only my opinion though!

Denzil
31st Mar 2007, 20:11
Not sure your getting the right line, jcdcon are you a CCM as in Cabin Crew Member or CCM as in Cabin Crew Manager. I would guess the former if you earned £20k+!!!

Somebody mentioned the leases on the B744's that Alitalia cancelled, worth checking up, but i think VS bought these & subsequently made a few million US$'s by selling them to a leasing company & leasing them back. Short term gain!!!!

Off Stand
31st Mar 2007, 20:28
Guys, is part of your crew shortage down to the 900 hours rule too? We have had quite a few problems with it at BA and (we are lucky in that) our rest periods seem to be longer than some of your's. 2dmoon said that you are working more and more, surely you would be reaching that limit?

Get right behind your union and I hope that they will come up for the goods for you.

Good luck to you all and see you down route for a pint!:ok:

Right Way Up
1st Apr 2007, 06:40
Denzil,
Spot on. The upshot is that "Virgin Atlantic" who now plead poverty are paying way over the market rate for these aircraft. Meanwhile the "third parties" made a killing on the "sale" of these aircraft. :ugh:
2dmoon,
You are correct about the delayed report, you can only be delayed at home. I would suggest next time you you send in an ASR.

glamourgirl!
2nd Apr 2007, 08:42
hi everyone.

I love our fabulous airline but Im frankly shocked by this very cheeckie offer by our managment. To me the worst thing by far is 6 standby months every 3yrs. Starts again if move rank( which is highly likely) with just 2 guaranteed days off in those months, so basically the whole month is screwed and u can plan nothing!

And Im really dissapointed Ive just worked my arse off preparing for my CSS interview for the last 6 weeks after finally meeting the required performance monitoring scores and getting the job and now gonna have to wait for months and months for a course and then dont qualify for any new pay deal increase. WHAT A LOAD OF OLD ****!

kmp1
8th Apr 2007, 13:08
Just wondering, does the NRT flight have only one UK based CC? Thanks.

PER210
9th Apr 2007, 04:34
Where does Virgin Atlantic have crew based around the world.

Thanks

Gpik
9th Apr 2007, 14:27
Hi to answer the above question, VS have crew based in PVG,HKG,SYD,LOS,DEL,BOM,MAN and of course LHR/LGW. Generally on NRT flights we only have one or two western CC members plus a couple of SCC members, normally one CSS a western FSM although this isnt always the case and of course the IFBT is western. The NRT crew are based in LHR and not NRT and they also sometimes operate EWR/JFK flights!

sign-it-to-your-room
13th Apr 2007, 19:41
New to this monthly stand by lark and having a mare with it. Have not yet been given a flight a few days or day before. Everything is a mad dash to the airport. Anyway, quick question.........
Can I call crewing at say 5am to see if thay have a flight for me or is this a big no no?:=
Just that that extra hour would help enormously. Ta!

Gpik
13th Apr 2007, 20:07
Think it depends on the person you get, some are lovely, others are just not, i did it a couple of times on my monthly standby and they were fine with me, tho i find sometimes if your lovely to them then they are the same!

sign-it-to-your-room
13th Apr 2007, 20:29
What I kinda thought. Never had any trouble with crewing in 13 years, always been lovely, but then so have I!!!!
hey thats the name of the game, no-one forces me to do a job I love!

jde
18th May 2007, 11:05
does anybody know when virgin are due a new uniform as they seem to have had the current one for many years now?

Cosmic Girl
18th May 2007, 16:36
They are designing it just now,im sure its supposed to be out next year

VirginGlasgow
19th May 2007, 22:29
hello all,Wondering if you can help me... I just got a job with VS and am so excited! I live in Glasgow and have just bought my first house. I'm planning on moving for the six weeks of my training. After that I plan to commute from GLA. Could anyone tell me of their experiences and tell me if it is, infact, possible? How much is it likely to cost me, and am I stupid to think that it's possible? Any benefits or discounts I can get in my first six months?

pinkprincess
20th May 2007, 12:53
hi there, i too have applied for virgin yet i live up north (about 40mins from MAN). I would also be commuting down there if i got the job, I think roughly it will cost around £200 - £300 per month based on 4 - 5 flights down tho london per month. The other option is the train, you get 40% discount after 6 mths, but if your under 25 u can get a young persons railcard which gives u 1/3 off. I have got a specific thread about commuting, u mite want to have a read. I think there are lots of commuters so i can be done, the only thing i worry about is this monthly standby thing that vs are now doing. I havent got the job yet, but i have put off applying for so long as i was unsure if i could commute, ive decided just to go for it! :)

AFA
20th May 2007, 13:24
Hi Pink,

I commute from MAN and it's not really a problem but far from ideal.
Just so you know, we're eligible for a Tribe card which enitles us to discounts on the train from day 1. It's just staff travel that you have to wait 6 months for.
I personally find it easiest to take the train down as it guarantees me getting there then jump on the first flight back up.
I'm on the Airbus so luckily most of our flights are in the evening and ex LHR which suits the commute. However, according to some of my friends it isn't too difficult to swap with crew that prefer the LGW flights.
Good luck with the application

Cheers:)

pinkprincess
21st May 2007, 16:40
thanks for your comments AFA :p

i really have been thinking long and hard about the whole commuting thing, ive done lots of reseach on internet today!

Just another few questions i have, if you dont mind

* is it true that if you have a car park pass for say MAN or LHR, and u are rostered a flight that leaves EX-LGW, that u can park there also? just incase i wanted to drive 4 looong hours, which would be last resort

*When u get the train do u get the heathrow express coach from watford, that seems to be the only way yo get to LHR from up here

*AND finally, when u have a really early check in (say 7am, no time for the train that morning), where do u stay the nite before? ive heard virgin crew get good rates on ibis etc, do u know?

anymore info u cud give me wud be great x
thanks

Tea or coffee sir
21st May 2007, 18:50
No, you now get one parking pass and one pass only. If you choose a MAN pass intending to fly down most of the time, then that's all you get. It's a sore point as if your pass is for LHR and you have a LGW flight, you have to catch the crew bus which runs every 90 mins or so, and adds hours to each day you work.

Staff travel tickets are now £58 each, so it's a chunk out of your salary each month.

AFA
22nd May 2007, 12:48
Yeah, that's true. Only one carpark pass issued now i think. In your case the easiest thing to do would be to arrive at LHR whichever way you choose then catch the Virgin bus to LGW. You can buy another pass for about £40 per month but it's hardly worth it.
For early check in's however you would obviously need to be there the night before. For the few early flights out of LHR (MIA, JFK, IAD) it is possible to catch the 1st flight down but otherwise i normally stay at either the Crown Plaza or the Holiday Inn both of which do a crew rate. Not sure about LGW as we never fly out of there on my fleet but i heard the Ibis is ok.
Yes, it's best to get the train to Watford Junction then catch the Virgin bus to LHR. It's really good actually as they depart about 10 mins after the trains arrive (and every half hour) and stop right opposite the crew room. Plus most importantly it's free for us!
The commute is a big chunk out of the salary and the sby tickets are now £58 as has been mentioned. However the train tickets can be as little as £12 each way which really cuts down the costs. Not sure which part of MAN you're from but if you're near Manchester Picadilly, Stockport or Macclesfield
it's very convenient. The commute costs me far less than the increased mortgage payments i would incur if i decided to move back down south.
Worth it for me but see how you feel after 6 months. You can apply for the MAN base or become an honorary Southerner!
Feel free to pm me if you have anymore questions. If i don't know the answer cos it's LGW or specific cc stuff i'll find out.
Cheers

macca111
22nd May 2007, 13:22
Mod delete - wrong thread - post on Virgin wannabees thread

Tea or coffee sir
22nd May 2007, 16:21
I'm afraid it's not possible to buy another parking pass, I tried that and was told I couldn't. My commuting days are now over, hallelujah. I tried catching a flight a few times from Manchester, but couldn't get on serveral times, so gave up. Even trying to get there for the 9.30 LA proved impossible. It was quicker to drive than sit around for hours waiting to get on a flight in the end. I once allowed six and a half hours at Manchester airport to operate the Jo'burg, and got there with one minute to spare!

FlyingDr
24th May 2007, 14:49
Hi

Honestly it will be more expensive during your first 6 months before you receive your BA/BMI concessions. I commuted from Glasgow after probabtion, but know people who moved straight back after training. They just had to book flights as soon as they received their roster - and it worked out quite dear, but they were confirmed seats - also you will have to give yourself plenty of time at the LHR/LGW side incase of any delays with the VS inbound flight which could end up costing you a small fortune trying to get home.

I think it is worth it though - it's 4 months realistically of doing this - 5 at a push - and you'll get used to it pretty quickly - if you are really brave you could always consider the bus?! National Express from Buchanan Street to Heathrow every night - if you get there early for flight - sneak into the crew sleeping chairs and rest up before check in. Don't be surprised at the lengths some crew go and travel to get to work - says a lot about the great job!!!

When your probation is up, and you get concessions - v important dont go sick at all in first 6 months as it'll knock getting your concessions back - not nice - use your concessions and buy 5 tickets a month - roughly £270, standby - but be ready for the performance it can mean trying to get to work form Glasgow standby especially as a Virgin Junior - good luck - you probably will be taking that bus every time! There are just a lot of BA staff who commute and take up loads of spare seats - then VS lot - but again - worth it - and you'll always have an airport pal to chat to!!

Hope it all works out well!!

virgincrew99
25th May 2007, 11:06
has anyone had any update on our pay talks ??

virgincrew99
31st May 2007, 19:18
bring on industrial action thats what i say!! they have been taking the mickey out of us with our pay way too long!!

mark2100
31st May 2007, 21:42
The union is not endorsing the unofficial action planned by militants on the 9th of June.It's in our best interest's to allow due process even though it takes an age.Rumour control latest is an increase on route pay not basic.

virgincrew99
1st Jun 2007, 10:21
well i certainly wont be going in on the 9th we have to take a stand:ok:

Tea or coffee sir
1st Jun 2007, 12:08
9th June is the date bandied about for UNOFFICIAL strike action, which would be foolish. Not only would you lose money, you stand to lose your job too. Besides, I'm on standby that day :( So few would take unofficial action, it would be a complete waste of effort.
Wait for news from the union about official strike action if the talks don't make any satisfactory progress. If the rumour is right about no rise in basic, well .... :mad:

AFA
1st Jun 2007, 13:27
If you participate in an illegal strike your union will lose all credibility with the management and they will have NO chance of negotiating a decent deal.
One of the bargaining chips you have is that the company are desperate to avoid the negative publicity of industrial action and you will throw that away by doing this.
Let the union try and do the job you pay them for, don't screw them & your colleagues like Tea or Coffee over by striking against their advice.
I really want you guys to get the deal you deserve but idiocy like this makes me wonder what some of you are thinking.

I Just Want To Fly
4th Jun 2007, 21:42
I know we are all desperate to get a pay rise.

Bills, Mortgages, Rent, Commuting Expenses all add up, and that's before you even have a chance to enjoy your life.

It's all well and good us getting 7 free flights per year, but I don't know anyone who can afford to go on a holiday 7 times a year, let alon afford to pay the taxes.

But... We all have to be patient. Getting VAA to change their management practices is going to be a long and slow process.

Rather than promoting unofficial strike action, we should be promoting union membership. I have flown with several crew both CC and SCC who are not even members, some who have been around for over two years!!!

I want to see more text messages promoting union membership!!!

virgincrew99
5th Jun 2007, 23:00
hi found this interesting!
Virgin Atlantic Airways Plans Business-Class Airline (Update1)

By Tracy Alloway and David Mildenberg

June 4 (Bloomberg) -- Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd., the U.K. carrier controlled by billionaire Richard Branson, plans to start a business-class airline within the next 18 months that would increase competition for higher-fare travelers.

The new carrier will fly from cities including Paris, Frankfurt, Milan, London and Zurich nonstop to New York and other destinations, the London-based company said today in an e-mailed statement. The new airline will fly under the Virgin brand.

The Virgin entry will compete for corporate travelers with traditional airlines such as British Airways Plc and new business-class carriers such as Silverjet Plc, MAXjet Airlines Inc. and Eos Airlines. Premium travel is the most lucrative for trans-Atlantic airlines, generating about 60 percent of British Airways' sales.

``This is going to create big problems for the legacy carriers because international business travel is where they make their money,'' said George Hamlin, managing director of Airline Capital Associates in Fairfax, Virginia. ``The whole trick for Virgin is making sure their equipment isn't too big.''

Virgin Atlantic has had ``preliminary discussions with a number of manufacturers for an order that could be up to $700 million,'' spokeswoman Brooke Lawer said. She declined to give further details, saying the plans ``are in the earliest stages.''

Heathrow Slots

The airline controls key landing slots at London's Heathrow airport, the world's busiest international airport, that it might transfer to its new business-class airline, Hamlin said. That would be an edge over Eos, MAXjet and Silverjet, which use London's Stansted or Luton airports.

Virgin Atlantic's plan comes after the U.S. and the European Union in March reached an ``open skies'' agreement that lets carriers fly from any European city to any U.S. destination. British Airways may start all-premium flights between the U.S. and Europe, the Financial Times reported May 19.

The move is separate from Virgin America Inc., a new low- cost carrier backed by Branson. Virgin America last month won final U.S. approval to begin U.S. flights and plans to start New York-San Francisco service later this year after it receives safety permits. Branson's closely held Virgin Group Ltd. put up 25 percent of the initial $177 million investment for Virgin America, plus a $53 million loan.

so what airport do you think they will fly from i guess it will be stansted!

sign-it-to-your-room
6th Jun 2007, 17:14
Sorry to not comment on last post re: Business airline.

I really do not think that the strike of June 9th will happen. I've not heard a thing anyway, but found out about it on here.
I really hope that it doesnt happen and wonder who the 'Rebels' are. Does anyone else know who is behind the texts/emails/fliers? I've no idea, so best to stick with official Union!

sign-it-to-your-room
7th Jun 2007, 09:19
Where on iFly did you see it? I havent seen it on there, which is quite worrying :uhoh:

pinkaroo
8th Jun 2007, 17:01
I am hearing rumours of an unofficial strike tomorrow by some Cabin Crew of Virgin Atlantic. Crewing are also starting to receive calls from crew reporting sick in far higher numbers than normal.

cirrus01
8th Jun 2007, 17:09
Looks like the BA summer malaise is contagious !!!! :)

spannersatcx
8th Jun 2007, 18:01
unofficial strike Isn't that illegal in the UK?

fatboy slim
8th Jun 2007, 18:36
yes... but going sick isn't

Litebulbs
9th Jun 2007, 01:38
Great staff travel, not that hard work and great destinations but your pay is 5hite. In these days of equality, the Branson magic just don't wash. You have got some great shiny buildings for your exec's, but if you can't afford to holiday on your 5 year firms then whats the point?

You should be the brand that takes on BA. You should be paid the same money. Forget the chrome trim on the window blinds and give it to the crew.

Your drivers compete directly with Big Airways money, so should the crew. If you are taking action (24hr bug) then well done.

Thanks to the moderators for moving you off the front page. Why that would be I don't know, still fast track to the 4th stripe is worth it!

FormerFlyer
10th Jun 2007, 22:34
Hey
Just wondering what sort of tests the FBTs go through on their interviews for Virgin - anyone got any idea what practical stuff they have to do?

cheers :ok:
FF

NWT
11th Jun 2007, 08:15
I have read all these postings regarding pay etc....I can only come to the conclusion that if you don't like it ...you know where the door is. If it is such a poorly paid job that you can't afford to live etc why join VS ? Plenty of people do apply and join and I personally know of several who have been unsuccesfull when applying to VS but will reaply as soon as they can, as they really want to work for VS. They know the pay and conditions, (one even has a relative already employed there) If BA is so good join them...

Litebulbs
11th Jun 2007, 11:31
Maybe, when people join, they join for a certain lifestyle. They stay there for a few years and they enjoy the people they work with and want to make a career of it. This is when the financial reward becomes the main driver. This is when staff travel and staff parties become less important, than having the means to pay for a mortgage.

The flight deck appear to be paid a healthy market rate, engineering are near enough at the start and are well paid with a bit of service, but the crew have been left behind.

virgincrew99
15th Jun 2007, 13:32
can you believe the latest update from the mangagement is now inorder for crew to get a descent pay increse they are going to try and take away our staff travel and requests and private health care can you believe this... this is going to create a holy war between management and crew... remember stick together crew we will win this time...

MzGuilty
15th Jun 2007, 16:16
Hmm I've just read the update on ifly. Let's see. Management now want us to put back the date of our next pay negotiations to later in the year, but isn't that what they wanted the first time, an 18 month pay agreement? It seems that hasn't changed. Then there's something about wanting the agreement to last three years, with only year three guaranteed to match inflation. Is that supposed to be an improvement? And now talks of losing staff travel concessions, which they seem to think only Virgin offers. I'm totally confused, I think we are moving backwards. I can see ballot papers popping through our letterbox soon and I know where I'll be putting my cross again.

All this time, Virgin is getting interest on the pay increase we should have had by now. :mad:

scoobys
15th Jun 2007, 21:23
no staff travel and medical.

Who do these jessie's think they are ?? do they really think we are so stupid that we will go for that.... its got to be about 60% of commuters use staff tickets to get to work

I cant wait to get that form through the door.. the sooner this madness gets sorted the better

virgincrew99
18th Jun 2007, 11:29
time to stick together !!! time to strike !! time to take action... taking our benefits away!!! staff travel medical plans etc... our airshare was rubbish but you know where all the money we were ment to recieve went from the airshare it went into the base!!!! they did the same when the renovated the club house!!!

steviesky
25th Jun 2007, 08:42
Hi Virgin crew.

Coming away from my interview I am a little unsure of what benefits I get during my probation and what kicks in after the 6mnths?

Apart from basic wage and downroute pay for food etc do I also get trip pay straight away? Also the tribe card??? Can I get discounted trains straight away. Of course free flights is after probation I expect?? Can I take someone with me on a trip during probation??

Can someone put me more in the picture.
Thanks.

Flyingbeaute
25th Jun 2007, 22:34
Hi FF,

I understand that the written exam covers loads of anatomy and physiology with a 88% pass mark and practicals you have to perform back massage and manicure.
Hope it helps

MancRed
26th Jun 2007, 00:33
Hi, all i have recently set up a google groups site especially for commuters MAN-LHR-MAN to arrange car share for cost or just company.....its was mainly for BA staff but since a load of ground staff from MAN are going flying at LHR(73 new + current commuters) I guess it might be more difficult for VS crew to commute on the shuttles and might want to car share....anyway here is the link.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/ba-...mmuters/?hl=en (http://groups.google.co.uk/group/ba-man-commuters/?hl=en)

Cheers Jarvis

any questions pm me

I Just Want To Fly
28th Jun 2007, 13:20
Seen the latest letter? If not... go to iFly...

2% was rejected, why would 2.6% be accepted?

Vote NO!

r.s
4th Jul 2007, 00:23
Hi fellow slaves,

I hope everybody has received the latest ballot paper from the union.

VOTE NO!!!!!

virgincrew99
4th Jul 2007, 20:43
VOTE NO
this pay offer is an absolute disgrace bring on the strike!!!

virgincrew99
4th Jul 2007, 20:51
Virgin Cabin Crew August Strike
Passengers planning to take off from Heathrow Heathrow airport face possible delays over the August bank holiday as Virgin cabin staff consider a strike because pay talks with the airline have broken down. Virgin's Cabin crew's trade union Amicus have rejected an offer on the table of a two per cent increase in salary. This compared to 4.6 percent rise recently agreed at British Airways.

If this industrial action fails to be settled there could be disruption over the August bank holiday affecting flights from London Heathrow and Gatwick.

Bryan Boyd from Amicus said in a Daily Mail article : "Virgin face the prospect of industrial action over the August bank Holiday weekend. They are failing to recognise the professionalism and loyalty of their cabin crew."

Virgin Atlantic stated that its pay and conditions offer was 'very fair' and that 'our door remains open to talks.'

By: Helen Gillilan

Source:
UK Airport News

virgincrew99
4th Jul 2007, 20:57
Unite recommends rejection of Virgin Atlantic pay offer
Thursday 28 June 2007

Unite (Amicus section), the UK’s largest union, is recommending that its’ members, who are employed as cabin crew, reject the derisory ‘full and final’ pay offer from Virgin Atlantic.

Unite will be conducting a consultative ballot of it’s 2,800 members after six months of negotiations. This will be the second ballot after members rejected an original offer in April of just 2% over 18 months.

The latest offer, a 40 month deal, which Unite calculate to be 5.3% over the first 2 years, representing an increase of half the rate of inflation. The third year is RPI.

Unite National Officer, Brian Boyd, says:

“The Union believe that this offer does not adequately reflect the loyalty and dedication of its cabin crew and are asking for nothing more than an increase to basic pay of 4.8% which was the RPI as of April this year.

“Virgin Atlantic have to stop giving wealthy individuals tickets to the moon, and start giving their loyal and dedicated workforce a wage which at least recognises the cost of living in the UK.”

If the Unite members reject the pay offer then the Union will move to an industrial action ballot.

Ends

For further information contact Martin Scanlon, Unite press office 020 7420 8934 or 07764 655751

Notes for editors

Pay offer is a 3year plus 4 month deal. (40 months total)
Basic rate increase in the first 27 months of 6.4%. Due to date of increase being moved twice Unite calculate this to be 5.3% over the first 2 years.

There will be no increase to trip pay and other variable elements of pay in the first 15 months of deal.

Third year will see increase at current RPI.

Other pay deals negotiated for cabin crew at other airlines:
British Airways – 4.6%
British Midland – 4%
Thomas Cook – 4.6%
Monarch – RPI over two years and holiday entitlement
GB Airways – 4.8%
Ballot papers will be going out 29th June and closes 24th July

NWT
5th Jul 2007, 15:01
The union says it s to ballot its membership of 2880. I was led to believe that only about 750 of the 4000 VS cc were members. Is this correct. If so even a unaminous vote would still be a minority of the total cc....?

jbflyer
13th Jul 2007, 16:57
Virgin needs to realise that it cannot continue running an airline on the goodwill of its staff.
The airline responds to the market whenever fuel costs etc increase with fare or surcharge increases (such as on iFly today) but us crew are not in a position to to compensate ourselves for increased interest rates, higher energy bills, high petrol costs... the list is endless.
We all joined VS for different reasons but one thing we should be clear on is that we must unite and support our union who in turn are supporting us. Ensure you cast your vote and encourage your non-union member colleagues to sign up (no, I am not a union rep by the way!).
I'm sick to death of the petty "updates" on iFly...
Fear not, an airline valued at 2.2 BILLION POUNDS is not going to fold over this so don't fall for the flannel.
VOTE NO!

flybee
16th Jul 2007, 18:32
got my roster first roster ewr, iad, lax, las, mia.....can anyone tell me how much allowances (take home) i ll get....thx so much for any help..xxx

uk20
16th Jul 2007, 21:43
I have always been interested in avaition and love to fly. Virgin are one of the best and it is interesting read about the pay talks at VS. I see on the site they offer a basic of about £10000 WTF is that? How can that be worth it!

Also VS like you to be able to swim 25m plus. I can not even swim so I need to learn or can't work for VS crew.

r.s
16th Jul 2007, 22:24
flybee,

log into iFly and on the left hand side you'll see destinations, then in there you will find the list of what allowances we get for each trip.

Miami is a good one but Vegas is shocking!

Enjoy your first trip x

uk20
18th Jul 2007, 21:20
Great...somne airline do not even mention as needed. Maybe they fly over land all the time lol.

I'm useless at swimming...

Here is a Q about CC, is it true the employers/airlines only like to employ 'good looking' people?

I ask as it seems like an industry that is heavily stereotyped?

exvicar
20th Jul 2007, 09:37
If you want to join Virgin learn to swim. The swim itself is not very far and longer term it will save anyone having to dive into the hotel pool to rescue you.

leeUK
20th Jul 2007, 16:50
uk20-
Re one aspect of the question of stereotyping -the extremely high level of grooming and, for the females, hair styles and make up can give the impression of sameness. If you have a look at some of the clips of the Virgin Wings graduations on YouTube you can see that there is, indeed, quite a variation in the individuals themselves.
No one should be put off applying because of a perceived pre-judgment of type. Most companies no longer require a photograph to be submitted with an application. The important factor is putting across your personality both in written form and during any subsequent interviews. :)
leeUK

uk20
20th Jul 2007, 18:50
Yeah I have always noticed how VS have the good looking girls on board. However, BA have the good looking as well as normal people. No offence to anyone!!!

Also VS have a young crew....then again that is the VS image....young and vibrant I guess!

jbflyer
20th Jul 2007, 18:52
I agree with the previous comments. There is a perceived "glamour' associated with the airline industry and most airlines expect their crew to adhere to gromming regulations in one way or another. I know BA have no stipulation regarding girls wearing make-up but Virgin is slightly different... in a good way of course! Girls are required to wear their uniforms in a certain way but isn't that all part of working at Virgin... we are glam! Pop on that red lippy and show BA how it should be done!

PS. I couldn't swim a stroke before I got the job but quickly learnt... go for it! ;)

uk20
20th Jul 2007, 19:38
I'm like a rock....just hit the bottom!

virgincrew99
24th Jul 2007, 12:25
Today Is The Day Crew! That Virgin Atlantic Will Realise Its Crew Are Worth More Then They Are Offering And We Will Be Fighting On The Picket For What We Deserve

r.s
24th Jul 2007, 14:53
Can't wait to hear the result of the ballot!!

Does anybody have an idea on how long it will take for the union to annouce the results?

See you all outside Queens with a cocktail on strike day x

adamv66
24th Jul 2007, 17:33
WOOO HOOO!!! Well done guys!!!! :D

redgirlcrew
24th Jul 2007, 20:58
Hi All

Is there anybody else out there who completed selection process in June had an eamail saying congrats got CC position and has yet to hear anything else.
Was told at interview training may be in October. How soon should I expect hear anything? Will I get confirmation in writing, does this happen once security checks have been completed. Was requested not to go away until all had been confirmed but I really have to take two trips one at end of Sept. Help or advice accepted. This site has been fab saving me lots of questions although I still have a million more.
Good luck to you all in pay talks. I guess joining the union is important.

r.s
24th Jul 2007, 21:39
Cabin Crew Pay Ballot

The result of the recent pay ballot by Unite is now known. The offer was overwhelmingly rejected.

We are obviously extremely disappointed that a successful outcome could not be reached at this stage.

Talk of a ballot for industrial action is not in the interest of anyone at Virgin Atlantic and is already causing immeasurable damage to customer confidence, crew relations, and our brand around the world. Unfortunately Brian Boyd, Unite Lead Negotiatior, has already been briefing the media which is already causing understandable angst for our passengers over their important summer holidays.

I understand how unsettling the current situation is. I want to assure you that we are doing everything we can to resolve matters as soon as possible.

Both I and everyone at the airline value the huge contribution that you make, this is reflected in recent pay awards which have been above RPI over the last four years. We remain open to returning to the negotiating table in order to work out a deal which will be acceptable to you, yet affordable for the airline.

I will of course continue to keep you updated on any developments.

Linda Moir
Director of Inflight Services

jbflyer
24th Jul 2007, 21:39
Well done to all the Virgin Crew who stood by each other. Now comes the challenge. The company will start to get nasty... threats etc but WE MUST STAY STRONG AND STICK TOGETHER.
We will now be balloted on Strike Action - WE MUST VOTE YES TO STRIKE ACTION AND STICK BY THE UNION. IF WE DON'T, WE HAVE LOST EVERYTHING.
And since when have we EVER received above inflation pay rises???

I CANNOT URGE YOU ENOUGH TO STICK TOGETHER OVER THE COMING WEEKS. PASS ON THIS MESSAGE TO YOUR COLLEAGUES.

r.s
24th Jul 2007, 22:59
I especially like the bit about how they remain open to returning to the negotiating table, even though the last offer was their FULL AND FINAL OFFER!!!!!!!

STAY STRONG

VOTE TO STRIKE

:D:D:D

They'll never let it get that far anyway.

andydd
1st Aug 2007, 13:00
Just been told by a friend in the union that 98% of the Cabin crew have voted for strike action. Dates are being set now by the union!!

Tags
1st Aug 2007, 13:05
Incorrect - 98.2% of crew voted against last pay offer, no ballot for strike action has been issued as of yet.

stormin norman
1st Aug 2007, 20:46
I hear strikes set for the end of the month.Plans are already in place to disburse passengers.

I Just Want To Fly
2nd Aug 2007, 15:53
Joint Statement between Virgin Atlantic & Unite/Amicus
We are pleased to advise that Virgin Atlantic and Unite/Amicus have reached agreement on a pay deal for cabin crew.
Great effort on behalf of both parties has resulted in a deal that should meet cabin crew aspirations whilst remaining affordable for the airline.
The 3-year deal which Unite/Amicus will forward to members along with the consultative ballot papers provides for significant increases to basic and trip pay underpinned by productivity enhancements.
The team involved in the formulation of this deal should be commended for their effort and their constructive approach to the task.
It is clear from this agreement that Virgin Atlantic values the enormous contribution made by its Cabin Crew.
Linda Moir
Director of Inflight Services
Virgin Atlantic Airways
&
Brian Boyd
National Officer
Unite/Amicus

Thank God! I would much rather keep management and customers happy, than go on strike. I look forward to seeing all the details soon.:D

glamourgirl!
2nd Aug 2007, 15:57
hold your horses " i just want to fly" we dont even know the offer yet.
and surely its managers who should be keeping the crew happy not vice versa?

I Just Want To Fly
2nd Aug 2007, 16:32
i know, i know... but still i would much rather all involved come to an amicable solution, than go on strike. i would hope that the union would not agree to put something to us again, if they didnt feel it was acceptable.

who knows....? if we all reject this offer, then a strike may still be an option. only time will tell.

Virgin Boi
3rd Aug 2007, 16:43
I'm so confused!

Someone text me today saying this

"Ignore IFly, we have NOT agreed the proposed 4.8% RPI. We all need to ring the union and tell them we are not accepting less than 10%. DO NOT give in now. BE STRONG. Fwd on".

Now, am I missing something? Where has the figure of 4.8% come from? Is that the latest figure the management have come up with?

I'm a bit annoyed with the union for announcing that they have reached a deal with Virgin without telling us what the deal is! I think that really sucks!

As someone else said, this is NOT over yet. We still have to vote on whatever this latest offer is!

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: :ugh:

glamourgirl!
3rd Aug 2007, 17:24
Does anyone know wot the offer is yet? I cant seem to acces amicus's web site?

SLT
3rd Aug 2007, 21:48
You don't have to accept the offer - the deal hasn't been "done" at all. All that's happened is that the union believes that it's got a deal that's as good and fair as it thinks you're going to get. And it's recommending to its members that you accept it at ballot. Whether you do or not is up to you. One thing to be aware of is that if the vote is "no" to this one, then that sets you against your union and you're entering very dangerous territory. If you vote "no" to a union-endorsed deal the company will work on the basis that the union doesn't have the support of its members and things will get very messy very quickly. It's not the same as you just saying no and sending the union back to the table, they're saying that they think this is as good as it gets.
People sending stupid texts around like that are not helping the situation at all, it's confusing and divisive. People should wait and see what the offer is and then discuss it. Rumour and tittle tattle will only inflame what is already, very rightly, an emotive matter. And not to mention - the rumours are usually total crap, after all - we all know how accurate Galley FM is at the best of times!! Come on!! And one more thing - people who are planning on voting no until 10% is on the table are living in a dreamworld. No one's going to get that - office staff, pilots or crew. We'll all be fascinated to see what's been worked out this time and hopefully it'll be a fair deal. If not - then it's back the the drawing board! But do listen to what the union has to say - they are experts at this. Fingers crossed........

I Just Want To Fly
3rd Aug 2007, 22:08
Nothing on "My Amicus" yet.

SLT
4th Aug 2007, 15:51
Don't disagree at all - and for what it's worth, the flight crew in Virgin are right behind the cabin crew in their search for better pay and conditions. The amount Virgin pays its crew has been well below par for years and it's about time that something was done. And you're right - if the membership vote no then yes, the union has to represent the members wishes. But what I was driving at was the message that that sends to the management. The union agrees a deal with the company and recommends it to its members. Members then vote no to it, that will show the company that the union is effectively in conflict with the membership and can then try and drive a wedge between you. The only way this works is if everyone a) sticks together and b) takes due consideration of what the union tells you all. If you're really after 10% and no less, then there's going to be a strike because it's not going to happen. The union will eventually peel away, because while yes, they have to represent the members interests, they don't have to and will not fight a hopeless battle.
I really hope the deal that's on the table is OK, because this needs a resolution. If it's as derisory as the first ones then by all means reject it. But let's see what's on offer! And flight crew negotiations are irrelevant, that's not comparing apples with apples. Different jobs, different existing packages, and different needs and plans for the future. I know that the general feeling is among them for what they're going to ask for and 10% or any other large rise isn't going to be it.

Good luck!!

adamv66
6th Aug 2007, 14:43
well if theres any more monthly standby in there i'm voting NO regardless of what the money is.... personally i think our lifestyle is more important than what might amount to £50 (at best) here and there... monthly standby is CRAP! i dont think anyone likes it?? i didnt vote for it when it was 4 in 3 years so i'm certainly not voting for any more than that!

SLT
6th Aug 2007, 16:53
How about just waiting for the formal communication and make your decision based on facts rather than hearsay??? Nearly all of "what I heard" on bloody Galley FM is total rubbish, so you can't believe rumour. And try look at the deal as a whole - not just the negative aspects. As I said before - if the deal doesn't give you a fair crack then vote no. But at least read the whole thing before making up your mind and whipping up feeling. :rolleyes:

sign-it-to-your-room
6th Aug 2007, 19:02
I shall certainly be voting NO if more standby is introduced. As a mother of 2 I simply cant take on anymore standbys. The fear of being called out for a HKG SYD is too great! On my last block I organised and paid for childcare but didnt get used for 2 blocks (childcare is non refundable), when I did get used it was for a BOM followed by a BOM, I was actually OUT of pocket that month!:ugh:

Part timers never used to have SBY so this has been a huge wake up call and a total mare. If more are introduced then its time to rethink my career after 13 years.....and Virgin have lost yet another Manager

back2front
6th Aug 2007, 20:19
....than I think we should be accepting.

I will be voting NO.

back2front
7th Aug 2007, 09:20
Basically means they really don't give a rats arse about our hard work.

We will pay them no more (due to inflation the raise is effectively cancelled out) and we will work them harder (remove a crew member) plus take away any incentive to earn the company extra money (remove airshare).

Are they on drugs?

Vote NO...

steviesky
7th Aug 2007, 10:18
Please can anyone answer my Q'S? How much money will I get when I'm training? Anyone just recently finished training I guess will know? Also as I'm wanting to get away back home after training on a friday, what time do you usually finish? 5, 5.30???

It's also interesting reading all these debates on the pay. I hope by the time I sart training at the end of september that I may be getting some extra cash?? Good luck and keep fighting. After all they need you guys. They are continually recruiting.

flyer55
7th Aug 2007, 10:19
Hi all

Am trying to get in touch with someone who works for Virgin Atlantic and wondered if crew have email addresses ?

rubyrocks118
7th Aug 2007, 20:52
Hi Steviesky and Flyer55

I can answer both your questions

1. Training
You will get paid for your training it will be your basic and depending when you start you will be paid from that date until the end of the month. Pay day is 20 of every month but u will be able to view your pay a couple of days beforhand.
In regards to when you finish it really depends on what subject you are doing, generally you will finish around 5.30ish or 6 regardless of the day of the weekbut it really depends on how much content they have to cover for that day.

2. Flyer 55 Yes we do have individual email addresses, but unfortunatley i don't have the right to give out email addresses of crew. If you are VS Crew then you will know how to contact them sorry:uhoh:

r.s
8th Aug 2007, 11:46
Can anybody get onto the union's website? It won't let me access it today and a little birdie has told me that details of the new pay offer are now on there!

Can't wait to see what I'm sure we'll all be saying NO to in a few days time!

Jcdcon
8th Aug 2007, 12:04
Wednesday 8th August 2007
Following a further two days of talks with Unite the union, Virgin Atlantic have come forward with a much improved pay offer for it’s cabin crew.
A joint communiqué has been sent to all employees advising that they will receive details of the offer and a consultative ballot paper, with a recommendation from the negotiating committee to accept the deal, by the end of this week.
Unite (Amicus section) National Officer, Brian Boyd, said: “Unite now believe that we have reached a point where the important part played by cabin crew in the continued success of Virgin Atlantic has been recognised.”
-Ends-
Contact Martin Scanlon, Unite press office 020 7420 8934 or 07764 655 751
Note to Editors
The 3 year deal ( 36 months) is as follows:
1. 1st. Year - 4.8%
2nd. Year - RPI.
3rd. Year - RPI.
2. Trip pay - 20% increase during the first 2 years of the deal. Trip pay will be pensionable from April 2009.
As part of the offer, there will be changes to standby duties, aimed at improving the efficiency of the operation. The offer also included review of crew compliments which should again improve efficiency.
http://www.amicustheunion.org/images/iip.gif (http://www.investorsinpeople.co.uk/) Home (http://www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=0) | About us (http://www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=3) | News & Events (http://www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=6) | Campaigns (http://www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=19) | Services (http://www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=26) | Resources (http://www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=28) | Sectors (http://www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=443) | Regions (http://www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=53)
© 2007 Unite. All rights reserved. All trademarks acknowledged. Web design and web development by Redweb (http://www.redweb.com/)

pokergirl
8th Aug 2007, 15:26
Why do they continually try to get us over a barrel, 5 blocks of standby now in 3 years is terrible. And reducing a scc on the 600 is bad, gutted for some reason really thought they would listen to the crew this time!!!!!! obviously too naive for my own good.....VOTE NO !!!!!!!!!!

sirual80
8th Aug 2007, 16:27
Guys,

They are taking our Airshare away so they could pay fatter bonuses to the management! Last year it was supposedly a bad year but we still got Airshare.

Airshare is based on your basic salary. As SCC my Airshare was worth 1.7% of my basic! So in other words the actual pay increase they are promising is 4.8%-1.7%=3.1% in a bad year! The year before we got Airshare worth well over 3.5%, which would mean they pay deal is worth 1.3% in a good year! What I am saying is that don't be fooled by numbers, it may look good but it ain't!

Also taking a SCC off the 600 means good-bye to splitting into 4 forever! And with crew down we may easily have a situation where we have to split into 2!

Money-wise 1 crew member less on say, 30 LHR departures and 30 overseas departures means saving 60 crewmember's pay and our average cycle is 5-6 days, so they would be saving 300-360 SCC salaries, trip pay etc. per week! And no airshare to us! Does this sound like someone is after more money on our expense? I think so!

VOTE NO!!!
VOTE NO!!!
VOTE NO!!!

sirual80
8th Aug 2007, 16:33
One more thing!

They are cheating us out of our agreement! The proposed deal starts from July1, so no back pay from April when the last deal ran out!

Is it just me or the union got tired and gave up on us???

MzGuilty
8th Aug 2007, 16:44
AMS. Standby is on a monthly basis. We do a full month of it, and only get two guaranteed days off in that month, which can't be moved. Basically it means you can't plan anything for that month, and for commuters it's a total nightmare. The new pay agreement wants us to increase the monthly standby from four blocks in three years, to five blocks in three years.

The latest pay offer seems worse to me, or am I missing something? :ugh: They give with one hand and take with the other.

It's a no from me.

pokergirl
8th Aug 2007, 16:48
After working for the company for nearly ten years stike action wasnt what i wanted, however this is the first time that the cabin crew have ever stuck up for themselves. I know this is a business at the end of the day but we have been losing from the start of these negotiations. Who exactly are the union listening too !!!!!!

back2front
8th Aug 2007, 17:24
The official (insulting) offer is now on ifly. Its basically a pay cut no matter what company spin they put on it. I'm appalled with the union for agreeing to this. Once I have voted NO I will be cancelling my membership with AMICUS.

VOTE NO....they will come back with another offer than can only be better!

sirual80
8th Aug 2007, 18:14
Quitting the union would not be a smart move, backtofront. At least through them we can get some stuff through, without it the company can dictate us their policy any way they like and we would not be able to threaten with a strike or anything.

but as I said above, the offer is a joke. Vote NO NO NO!

back2front
8th Aug 2007, 18:18
sirual80

You are right. I'm annoyed that we are paying them to represent us but they haven't asked us what we want i.e. a pay increase with NO detrimental conditions.

sirual80
8th Aug 2007, 18:35
Indeed. Personally I would be OK with 4.8% on all elements of our pay but leave airshare where it is and scrap all the rest of the SH*T!

glamourgirl!
8th Aug 2007, 19:58
oh my god this deal is an absoloute joke! wot on earth were the union thinking? (did someones palm get crossed with silver?) The deal would be acceptable if it wasnt for the extra (as virgin managment say enhancements) An extra standby month/loosing most of the share of airshare/ loosing 1 crew member on 600!

The management must be laughing at the union! They are treating us like an absoloute joke. This deal must save them a fortune e,g 1 less crew on 600= 1 less salary/allowances/training/hotel accom.

How about a new pay deal and an increase of pay with the same crew compliments and same standby agreements??

Oh yes and I noticed how the new pay deal would be as of July. ( so no back pay)

well screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww you vs joke of a management!

Litebulbs
8th Aug 2007, 20:09
There is only so much you can do through negotiation. You have been delivered an RPI + a bit rise for the next 3 years and your reps would be doing the crew community a disservice if they did not give you all the right to take time to reflect on that deal.

You now vote. If the result is acceptance of the deal, then the pay round is complete. If you vote no with a heavy majority, Amicus will ask its membership what it wants to do next up to and including full industrial action in a position of strength. 60-40 or 40-60, it is a loose loose.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Jcdcon
8th Aug 2007, 20:12
The reality is that you are not represented by the Union. I am Crew but am not a Union member.

Did it not strike anybody as odd that Brian Boyd was making statements to the press during negotiations? He was not doing that for the benefit of the Crew - he was doing so, in my opinion, to further his own career and raise his own profile. Self publicity rather than an outcome desirable to union members may have been the priority.

The company only have a set amount to play with in terms of pay negotiations - all 3 offers prob have been dealing with the same amount - just rehashed in different packages.

If the union wanted a higher guaranteed initial pay increase ie 4.8%, then it stands to reason that they would make cutbacks elsewhere in terms of crew compliments and airshare. The union would have been fully aware of this throughout - they have indeed urged union members to accept.

IF I was a union member I would not be annoyed with the company - they are a business and will always have financial limtiations and constraints, and its a smart move to suggest 3 deals without real finiancial increases. I would however feel very let down by those employed to represent me - the Union.

back2front
8th Aug 2007, 20:25
Litebulbs - yes the basic has increased by RPI but then is taken away through the other 'extras' so in fact we are getting nothing more and being asked, no TOLD we will have one less crew member so will have to work harder. Far-king joke :ugh:

jbflyer
8th Aug 2007, 20:41
A 4.8% increase (RPI) is not a Pay Rise, simply an increase to keep up with the cost of living, yet in order to gain this increase we are having to make sacrifices. This year CSS's received an Airshare payment of approx 360 pounds which is 2% of their basic salary, last year our Airshare payment was greater. This has been absorbed into our 'Pay Rise" making the real increase for 2.8% (funnily the exact offer that was made second time around - but with NO sacrifices). The union have agreed that no Airshare payment will be made until the 5% threshold is exceeded, that means in order for CSS's to receive ANY Airshare, the payment would have to be greater than 912 pounds and even then they would only receive the percentage ABOVE the 5%. This is baffling as the 4.8% "increase" to CSS's basic is only worth 876 pounds meaning they'd be NO BETTER OFF AT ALL!!!

On top of this we are losing a crew member permanently on the A340-600. This represents a MASSIVE saving to the company in terms of salary. trip pay, hotel and allowances. Usually when a flight is 1 crew member down, the company would pay each crew member 5 pounds, this would also be saved.

How Virgin manages to class a weekend as fri/sat, sat/sun, sun/mon is beyond me but was always tolerated. The proposed change to guaranteed days off is NOT acceptable.

Regarding the agreement to review the Trip Pay structure in 2009 is almost an empty promise and no guarantees have been made which makes this practically worthless.

Trip Pay increase of almost 20% in two years time... that's quite a way off! We need decent increases NOW.

I agree with the comment about the Union (i.e. Brian Boyd) trying to further their own agenda.

THE OFFERS ARE GETTING WORSE, WE'D HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF WITH THE PREVIOUS OFFER OF 2.8% AS IT DIDN'T HAVE ANY "PRODUCTIVITY ENHANCEMENTS" YET GAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF INCREASE.

VOTE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Litebulbs
8th Aug 2007, 21:54
I was only trying to explain what Amicus are trying to do.
The actual strength is down to the union. When I say union, I mean the members, not the full time officials. They do as you tell them, You pay their wages. The problem generally is that on a one to one chat, most members do not tell their union official what they actually think.
Get your reps to book a local venue and have a mass meeting, well maybe a cocktail party?! Let Mr Boyd know your feeling by making his life a living misery. That is what he is there for. He is there to serve your needs.

back2front
9th Aug 2007, 07:57
from another website...taking off the 1 crew member on the 346 will save the company approx £6million and the pay increase will cost the company approx £3million so they are actually saving £3million per year and thats not taking the removal of airshare into account!

And they have the nerve to tell us what a fantastic offer this is...BS

Muizenberg
9th Aug 2007, 09:55
Hi Guys,

I work for BA. Just wanted to convey my personal support to each and everyone of you, and say STAY STRONG AND TOGETHER. In our potential dispute in January, we had a 96.1% yes vote (for action) from BASSA members, yet we were taken to the cleaners royally. Our most united time amongst members got us virtually nothing. Please learn from our mistake.

DO NOT settle for second best. Virgin Atlantic can afford to give you guys what you deserve (after all they got off scot free from the price fixing scandal!), and each and everyone of you deserve better terms and conditions than you receive. Those of you who believe strongly in standing up for your fair share, coach member especially younger members who may think they are only at VS "for a couple of years". Virgin Atlantic is no longer the company that would not recruit crew after 28 (unless you had previous flying experience), and made crew retire at 36. I'm sure there are some of you (an ever growing number) that look at your job as a long term career. Remember what you except today, will remain in your terms and conditions for a very long time!

GOOD LUCK! There are many of us at BA that will be with you in spirit if it does come to Industrial Action. At a time when airline executives at EVERY airline are filling their pockets and improving their pensions, bonuses, etc. They find it necessary to intimidate, and make the very people who bring the customers back, make the sacrifices! UNACCEPTABLE.

flybee
9th Aug 2007, 11:04
basically it says....i'm gonna make more money taking one crew member off the aircraft whilst the remaining crew work harder and pay them less.
as simple as it is :O

exvicar
9th Aug 2007, 12:43
As we seem to permanently go one or more crew down on the 600, you could almost argue that the company have already removed a crew member. Are we soon to leave LHR with minimum crew? Best of luck chaps.

Gpik
9th Aug 2007, 15:14
I think that LM and the rest of them think we all walk around with "MUG" written on our heads! Guys Vote "NO", Its time to start taking away these guys huge fat cat wage increases...which deserve to be in the front line staffs pockets!!!!!! Its all fair and well that they sit and decide that pax dont want little things like a decent amenity kit in J and decent breakfast or afternoon tea in Y......but they dont have to implement the changes....and have the backlash...yet get bigger wages for the thoughts! We need more money for pushing through their cut backs! VOTE NO!!!!

Jcdcon
9th Aug 2007, 15:53
Has anyone else noticed that the closing date for this consultative ballot is the 29th? 2 days after the Industrial Action originally proposed by Brian Boyd - looks like he has shafted Union members again!

Was he only ever concerned about the headlines all of this would generate?

back2front
9th Aug 2007, 18:58
More bulls**t from Virgin managers:

Concerns over Airshare
Airshare, as you know, pays out when the company have made a profit but with Airshare comes the risk that should we not be in profit, you receive nothing.
By incorporating your airshare into your basic pay, you now have the protection against any losses in future years.
In addition to this, when we do really well, you WILL receive an airshare payment when the payout is over 5%. Please continue to ask questions of your union representatives and your Managers who will be on hand to help with concerns like this. Thank you.
Martin Phillips, Cabin Crew Manager

I wonder if management will only receive Airshare if the payout is over 5% ?

The ballot papers are out. Vote NO

adamv66
9th Aug 2007, 19:37
take a crew member off the 600? how dare they?? we all know what the crew down situation has been like in the recent past and all the crap management used to troll out like "we know how hard it makes it for you to do your jobs when you are operating crew down and we are committed to ensuring all our flights go fully crewed blah blah blah" and NOW they're turning round and telling us we're going to have to go 1 crew down permanently! its disgusting! its not only us but the customers will suffer!!! something has to give - they cant expect us to be able to offer the same level of service as we do now. even now I think we're overstretched on a full flight (anyone tried doing premium welcome drinks and newspapers on your own to thirty-odd pax recently?!). this is becoming a joke.