PDA

View Full Version : Internet check-in drawbacks

Curious Pax
9th Jan 2007, 08:31
Did AMS-MAN-AMS at the weekend on Jet2, and whilst it all went well, an issue that may cause fun and games in the summer was highlighted on the way back. I did internet check in, which Jet2 have recently introduced (bizarrely you can check in 28 days in advance of your flight should you wish!) which was fine on the outbound leg. However on the return leg from MAN, having dropped the bags at check in (they didn't have a desk labelled 'bag drop' as advertised, but there was no check in queue so not a problem) we waltzed up to security waving our home-printed boarding 'cards' only to be sent back to check in as the bar code wouldn't scan.
I had noticed that the bar code hadn't printed very well, but as it wasn't scanned when I did AMS-LHR-AMS with bmi recently, or on the AMS-MAN leg I didn't think anything of it. It was slightly inconvenient to go back to check in, but it was dealt with quickly and with an apology, so no problem about that, but this could cause chaos come the summer when queues will be long anyway.
Does anywhere other than MAN scan these barcodes? It would be helpful if airlines stated on the instructions that you should ensure that the barcode has printed clearly otherwise you should get a boarding pass.
Other than that a good punctual experience with Jet2 - they did what they said on the tin, and after nearly 400 flights I had my first experience of my bags being first on the belt when we arrived back at AMS!!!:ok:

Avman
9th Jan 2007, 10:02
OK, but was the poor quality of the barcode down to software or hardware? I would guess that it was most probably the printer.

Curious Pax
9th Jan 2007, 10:36
Bit of both, but mostly the printer - not in any way denying my own culpability there. However my point was that Joe Public will trundle through the online checkin process, print off his boarding pass, and as long as it is reasonably readable to the naked eye march up to security with it. As security queues at MAN in the summer are notoriously long at times, you can imagine the reaction of many passengers on being told to go back to check in after having spent half an hour waiting.

Departures Beckham
9th Jan 2007, 10:59
Barcodes are scanned at STN to comply with the DfT's requirement of a person entering the Restricted Zone (other than staff) to prove they have "intent to travel". I believe the bar code includes date of travel and departure airport to confirm this, as well as flight number and security number to ensure that each barcode is only used once.

perkin
9th Jan 2007, 10:59
I think I might've been right behind you at security, assuming you were flying on Sunday?! I've been put right off Jet2's online checkin since my first use of same managed to change my name to someone else and allocated my seat to the person who's name my booking was changed to...(my suspicion is this was more likely a check-in agent was at fault, but it was worrying nonetheless). I just use the self serve checkin at AMS & rarely any significant queues at MAN to worry about...

I've never had a problem with self printed boarding cards on assorted airlines - they always get scanned at the airport, but I tend to print them on an industrial strength laser printer...

Curious Pax
9th Jan 2007, 11:59
Perkin,
Definitely the same flight as I read your comment about the arrival on another thread. Left Mrs CP and son by the security counter whilst I got the boarding cards.

Given that you can reserve the seats you want on Jet2's system without actually checking in you're right, it isn't really necessary to print your boarding pass on a dodgy home printer!

flybywire
9th Jan 2007, 13:50
Barcodes are definitely scanned at LGW too. Milan is another place I have seen them scanning the barcodes and sending people back to check-in if the code isn't clear enough.

GwynM
9th Jan 2007, 15:42
barcodes scanned at LHR and ABZ as well

also interesting that they've stopped tearing the bottom bit off now and you keep the whole thing

perkin
9th Jan 2007, 20:49
barcodes scanned at LHR and ABZ as well

also interesting that they've stopped tearing the bottom bit off now and you keep the whole thing

Also interesting is the last couple of times I've flown with BA from LGW, I've kept my entire boarding card (the proper cardboard type), which is actually a pain cause a stub is easier to shove in a pocket...Quite how they can double check numbers without the half boarding cards I do not know, especially if there happens to be a computer failure...now that never happens does it?! :hmm:

perkin
9th Jan 2007, 20:56
Perkin,
Definitely the same flight as I read your comment about the arrival on another thread. Left Mrs CP and son by the security counter whilst I got the boarding cards.

Given that you can reserve the seats you want on Jet2's system without actually checking in you're right, it isn't really necessary to print your boarding pass on a dodgy home printer!

Small world eh?! I've seen quite a lot of pax turned back or had issues with scanning self printed boarding passes at MAN security, so perhaps its their scanners that are actually at fault...

Quite an interesting ride in though wasn't it? Was certainly quite bouncy down the back :)

Pax Agent
9th Jan 2007, 23:45
with regards to BA they re configured their gate machines to not cut the boarding passes! Apparently it speeds up boarding and efficiency tho i dn't see how long it takes to cut 'em!

WHBM
10th Jan 2007, 08:57
Barcodes are scanned at STN to comply with the DfT's requirement of a person entering the Restricted Zone (other than staff) to prove they have "intent to travel".
How does doing this scan with self-printed BCs but not airline ones help in this regard ?

You can book a fully refundable ticket, SSCI, print the boarding card, then cancel the whole lot.

You can also, with a traditional card (not scanned), go through security, shop in the duty free, turn round and walk back out through immigration/customs, give your shopping to your friend, then go back in again. It's been like this for decades and no SECURITY threat whatsoever.

perkin
10th Jan 2007, 10:23
How does doing this scan with self-printed BCs but not airline ones help in this regard ?

You can book a fully refundable ticket, SSCI, print the boarding card, then cancel the whole lot.

You can also, with a traditional card (not scanned), go through security, shop in the duty free, turn round and walk back out through immigration/customs, give your shopping to your friend, then go back in again. It's been like this for decades and no SECURITY threat whatsoever.

the 'traditional' boarding card is swiped into the system at most airports I use - I guess the same info that is held in the barcode on self printed boarding passes is held in the magnetic strip on the reverse of the airline issued cards?

red17
10th Jan 2007, 10:38
Barcodes seem to be scanned at IOM as well. Internet check-in is for the most part pointless, the number who 'check-in'don't print boarding cards, choose seats they don't want and then ask to be changed, the new BA policy means they can't be moved ordinarily

daedalus
11th Jan 2007, 18:52
My experience suggests pigheaded bloody-minded Brit jobsworths.
We waited 1,5 hours at Stn due to utter incompetence by BAA to have my printed online check-in sheet rejected ("paper folded, won't scan" said the pondscum. "OK check my wife's - she didn't fold hers and BTW where does it say "do not fold"? sez I)
Checked wife's - that didn't scan either! Suspect crap scanner head or ****tty pondscum with grudge against world.
Sent back to airline desk who, much puzzled, wrote out in biro name and flight number on blank boarding card. On-line check-in sheet had passport number, address, telephone number, e-mail address, flight number and as far as I know my grandmother's maiden name.
Had to queue again another 1,5 hours and then waved through with a stupid bit of card that anyone could have written.
Go figure, as they say across the pond.
I repeat my long and hard-held assertion that UK minor bureaucrats are the most incompetent, bloody-minded nasty pieces of work on the planet.
Not to mention that the Home Office, according to its own Minister, is "not fit for purpose."
:ugh:

SXB
11th Jan 2007, 19:56
Online check-in does work, and both passengers and airlines like it, we like it because it's quicker and the airlines like it because it's cheaper.

I always check-in online but I never print my boarding card because I nearly always have hold luggage so I need to visit the counter anyway.

Getting passengers to print boarding cards is asking for trouble, bar codes generally work but it doesn't take much of an imperfection in the printed code for it to fail to read, how many times have you been in the supermarket when an item fails to read ? Passengers are printing boarding cards on low quality paper from low quality printers, it's hardly surprising that, occasionally, one fails to read.