PDA

View Full Version : License for XP Professional

vancouv
9th Jan 2007, 07:00
A friend of mine has a PC with a dodgy version of XP Professional (supplied by a computer shop would you believe!) which means it can't be updated from the Microsoft site - it hasn't even got SP2 on it.

She wants to get a proper licensed version - so she's not interested in fiddled ways of updating or borrowing SP2 on a disk etc.

Do you know what the easiest/cheapest way of going about this is?

Can you somehow license the version that is currently on the PC?
Do you need to buy a pukka version and then install it on top? (it doesn't need to be Professional, Home would do fine). And if so, do you need a full version or is there an upgrade version you can get?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Newark_Anagram
9th Jan 2007, 07:15
I seem to remember you can do an authenticity check of your version of
windows on the Microsoft update site. If it fails I believe it points you to a site where you can buy a key for the windows installed on your PC. Sorry, a bit vague but it's a while since I've done it!!

NA

acebaxter
9th Jan 2007, 07:44
viosoftware.com

You can get the OEM version for 145 USD. This is what I do when I build a new machine. The difference with the OEM version is that if you have tech problems and go to Microsoft's website for online help they will tell you to contact your computer manufacturer for help. All updates work fine, just no tech support.

ZFT
9th Jan 2007, 09:04
Go through the on line Microsoft validation/Genuine Advantage programme from the PC in question.

Found a rogue version of XP Pro within my company and received a key and a follow up CD for about US$150.

Just had to put the key in and convert the rogue version into an official version – quite painless.

If you tell them where you got the rogue copy, they can even supply the update free.

Azure
9th Jan 2007, 09:11
I had the same problem a while back, we tried calling Microsoft...they told us what to do...didn't work. SP2 is the big problem, if you own a laptop without it...loading updates just dosen't work. I finally gave up and purchased xp pro for almost what I paid for the computer -at a sweet clearance deal so I sucked it up! Haven't had a problem since. Tell her to check with her company to see if she qualifies for discounted purchases from Microsoft. Many large companies have an agreement that allows employees discouted purchase. Check yours! That way you get "full system" to load not just a crappy restore disc that will be outdated by the time you receive it.

Background Noise
9th Jan 2007, 20:07
You can get OEM XP Home for £55 and Pro for £90 - both up to date with SP2. Not sure about updating the licence key - had a similar problem with an installed version of Office 2003 Educational edition and then bought the full version, asked MS and they said I could not just 'swap' licence keys - had to unistall and reinstall the same software using the new key. I'll PM you with a link to the retailer so as not to be advertising.

Having said all that, are you sure it is dodgy software? Maybe just not having SP2 is preventing you updating.

vancouv
10th Jan 2007, 07:08
Thanks for all the answers chaps - I'll investigate the various options you've suggested.

The problem manifests itself when it is trying to download SP2 as an update - it stops with an error message saying there is a problem with the license, so I'm pretty sure it's a dodgy copy. When I was discussing this with my friend she said the guy who supplied the PC had told her not to do updates as they wouldn't work - she didn't realise the implication of tbis - so I'm pretty sure he knew what was going on.

Thanks again