PDA

View Full Version : Good for him...

jet_noseover
9th Jan 2007, 01:22
"It's amazing when you're sitting there on the south lawn, the rotors are stopped, engines online, and you're looking out your window, you see all the press, all the visitors -- then you look over your shoulder, and you see the president walking up to the 'copter," Quigley said. "He gets in, shakes the pilot's hand, gives you the man (slap on the back) slap. Then you suddenly realize you have him on board, and you hope you do it all right!"

The assignment to the squadron lasts four years. Each pilot considered must have at least 1,500 hours flying time and a good service record with no derogatory information that might prevent one from obtaining a top secret security clearance.

During the first year and some of the second year, the new pilots must learn how to fly the two presidential helicopters, the VH-3 and the VH-60. Once the pilot learns those two aircraft, he can receive his co-pilot wings and fly any mission. During the third year the pilot goes back through the training school again, but this time it's much more intense and thorough, as now the pilot is being evaluated to be a White House aircraft commander, which can allow the pilot to command any helicopter flying any mission carrying any VIP up to the vice president, Quigley said.

"During the fourth year, you can progress further if you are selected; you can be a command pilot and Marine One pilot," Quigley said.

There are only five Marine One pilots, including the commanding officer of the squadron.

Now in the middle of his second year, Quigley is currently a mission co-pilot; he will start the White House flight training in the spring.

Much more at:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17682808&BRD=1382&PAG=461&dept_id=161822&rfi=6

SASless
9th Jan 2007, 03:04
I don't blame them....I wouldn't admit to being Clinton's Chauffer to anyone!

Flying Lawyer
9th Jan 2007, 04:41
Hillary Clinton and her driver were cruising along a country road one evening when an ancient cow loomed in front of the car. The driver tried to avoid it but couldn't - the aged bovine was struck and killed. Hillary told her driver to go up to the farmhouse and explain to the owners what had happened. She stayed in the car making phone calls to lobbyists.
About an hour later the driver staggered back to the car. His clothes were in disarray, he was smeared with lipstick. He was holding a half-empty bottle of expensive wine in one hand, a huge Cuban cigar in the other, and was smiling happily .
"What on earth happened to you?" asked Hillary.
"Well," said the driver, "the farmer gave me the cigar, his wife gave me the wine, and their beautiful twin daughters made mad passionate love to me!"
"My God, what did you tell them?" asked Hillary.
"I just stepped inside the door and said, I'm Hillary Clinton's driver and I've just killed the old cow. The rest happened so fast I couldn't stop it."

Flying Lawyer
9th Jan 2007, 07:01
Extract from the article.

And how is it to fly the president?
"It's amazing," Quigley said. "You never see him get on or off the helicopter without a smile on his face and without a determined look.
He's always got that, 'Don't worry about it, America, I'm going to take care of you' look."

:oh:

Nige321
9th Jan 2007, 20:57
I'm Hillary Clinton's driver and I've just killed the old cow.
Flying Lawyer
That's priceless... You just made my evening...:}
Nige

MSP Aviation
9th Jan 2007, 23:21
"You never see him get on or off the helicopter without a smile on his face and without a determined look. He's always got that, 'Don't worry about it, America, I'm going to take care of you' look. That's one of the greatest things, seeing that every day."

perhaps that wee tidbit has something to do with the article's disclosure?:ugh:

bolkow
10th Jan 2007, 09:46
Hope he vetted that through the squadron CO, or he won't be flying the boss around for long. I have a good friend used to fly Marine One during the Clinton years and watched a couple Marines in my squadron head off to HMX-1 (probably still there, but neither of them are this guy). Very strict non-disclosure policy... we couldn't ever draw him out about it years after his assignment was over... even when we were pouring beers into him.Ahh, thats probably because the beer was'nt strong enough, try strongbow or shorts?