PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Rapid Command? How does it work?

portquartercv67
8th Jan 2007, 08:40
Fellow Pilots,

Cathay ae currently recruiting for Rapid Command pilots on their website for MAN and FRA bases. Would appreciate any comments/info from pilots that have entered Cathay on this basis. My biggest concern is being hired as a FO and then they arbitrarily decide that they don't need captains and I'm hosed. Am currently flying B744 captain for an asian carrier. Considering the job as it will let me live ALOT closer to home.

Thanks in advance.

angryblackman
9th Jan 2007, 00:15
First of all you need to get into the Chief CEO mind-set like the Americans do.
Scond' you walk in and ask them where the board of directors are? Because that's whom chief executives interview with, (your a captain aren't you?). Third, that you are a highly paid and experienced Chief executive and will insist on a multi-million dollar or pound salary posted in your Isle of Mann account (tax free or course). A 3 million- quid severance package, a private limo, with driver to meet your ever beckoning call. A netjets europe business jet to take you and your family to the carribean on holiday, or as a last resort first class positive space passes for you and your family.
Like every good American CEO, if they don't like those conditions of employment, go tell them to piss off:D

sizematters
9th Jan 2007, 01:25
hmmm, angryman from germany...............maybe something to do with the german who just got chopped ?? Supposedly had 3000 hours command on the classic and couldn't get past base training (3 attempts, still couldn't land it)...........................
However, you have to be very BRAVE to attempt the CX Rapid Command, pass rate maybe 20% and if you have a North American accent, maybe pass rate is 1%................
Basically you sign on as F/O and at the end of Groundschool you are "Assessed" as suitable for command training and everything from then on is in the left hand seat until you get sent home without a job.

Give it a go by all means but make sure......................

You can have your old job back

Five Green
9th Jan 2007, 10:32
.... pass rate maybe 20% and if you have a North American accent, maybe pass rate is 1%................

Has anyone actually passed a RAPID Command course yet ?

Hey even Pilots on the fleet as FOs for years can't pass the classic course. Not sure how a guy off the street is going to do, especially when you consider the mouth music you gotta learn !!

Hey no harm trying though !!!

FG

sizematters
9th Jan 2007, 10:58
Has anyone actually passed a RAPID Command course yet ?

ER.............WELL..........................NO

but hey, the pass rate for F/O' s who have been on the Classic for 8+ years in CX is Only about 10%..........................

so you can't expect anyone off the street to pass.......................

be reasonable !!!!

judge11
9th Jan 2007, 12:59
PPrune is full of threads regaling tales of woe and failure about those who don't pass the Cathay command course. I'm amazed that the airline actually has any captains or it must be running quite low if all these long-serving FOs aren't making the grade. So what is (apparently) so difficult about this course and what are the main reasons for failure?

fire wall
9th Jan 2007, 19:16
sizematters, the pass rate over the last 12 months has been 3 out of 4 FO's upgrading plus two returning 49ers.The one (and only as far as I know) direct entry guy has been terminated after the 3rd attempt at base training. Now I am no maths wiz but 5 out of 7 is a damm site closer to 70% than your ficticous 10%.
Why do you find it necessary to spice up your posts with bullsh1t.
Oh I get it........... that is 6 inches eh?

sisyphos
10th Jan 2007, 18:30
Gents,

I think we must not talk about upgrade failures in such a specific way so that it is possible to identify the fellow pilot. ( just imagine it would be you !)

fire wall: You are right, the failure rate is not 90%, but your statistics are not correct either. The correct figure is somewhat between, plus do not forget the considerable number of "not suitable" rated F/O's which do not even get a chance of failing.

fire wall
10th Jan 2007, 19:59
sisyphos, what stats do you think are incorrect?
Agreed the PCA is stopping many good candidates.
No, not a trainer.

cpdude
10th Jan 2007, 21:14
Cathay Rapid Command? How does it work?

Evidently...not very well!:ugh:

hog tied
11th Jan 2007, 00:46
I think they mis-typed. They meant Rapid Sack.

rjmore
11th Jan 2007, 03:27
I think they mis-typed. They meant Rapid Sack.

Hey, that's a title more befitting a Flight Attendant isn't it? :E

Five Green
11th Jan 2007, 05:12
sizematters, the pass rate over the last 12 months has been 3 out of 4 FO's upgrading plus two returning 49ers.The one (and only as far as I know) direct entry guy has been terminated after the 3rd attempt at base training. Now I am no maths wiz but 5 out of 7 is a damm site closer to 70% than your ficticous 10%.
Why do you find it necessary to spice up your posts with bullsh1t.
Oh I get it........... that is 6 inches eh?

Think you might be missing the point of this thread. As far as I know the Rapid command advertisement only specifically applies to the CLASSIC freighter. I do not know of any 49ers who are doing a course on the classic. Could be wrong though and please correct me (as I know you will). The pass rate on the classic is the worst in the company full stop. Does not matter whether it is 67.5% or 45.6% it is definitely worse than 90%.

As for the 400. There is a a defacto rapid command going on there as well. This is a little more successful. I know of several successful candidates who have been with the company in and around 2 years. So compared with 10 years that is rather "RAPID". Then the successful Captain gets to go and fly for the same as PAX FO and work more days away from home !! Lucky Lucky.

On the upside things are slowly improving. As people adjust to the new command candidate interviews, the training department brings more trainers online, and they are starting to take notice of the "known quantites" within the C+T ranks.

Five Green
11th Jan 2007, 05:18
My biggest concern is being hired as a FO and then they arbitrarily decide that they don't need captains and I'm hosed.

I would suggest that if you are not willing to spend some time in the right seat, the job may not be for you. If you are willing to spend some time lifting gear and if you have the experience, you will get a shot at command "rapidly". Still a bit of a gamble if you are making good money and have a halfway decent roster already.

Cheers

FG

sisyphos
11th Jan 2007, 05:56
fire wall: As far as I am informed there were only two successfull upgrades in total on the classic last year ( not including 49ers/pax cpt on extension)

fire wall
11th Jan 2007, 19:05
sisyphos and Five Green, crew direct/crew admin/seniority list and submit for Capt Classic and count from the bottom...... the name withheld is ghosted for an FO who is upgrading at the moment, above him is 49 #1 (his mate has left already for Oasis) and then directly above him are 3 who went 3 bar or better in 2006