PDA

View Full Version : More time at home

changes2007
6th Jan 2007, 17:39
Hi all. This is my first time here.

Can you please give me some advice. I just had a rejection letter from Virgin, didn't get an interview? I was wondering if it was because i got a D for maths and not the C or above. GCSE'S were a long time ago and this grade doesn't reflect my abilities. Do all airlines ask to see school certificates at the interviews?? Anyone out there working with a D grade?? Anyone ever told white lies???? It's very frustrating as I consider myself to be very suitable for this job.

Also, the letter states to wait six months before applying again I know if you get to the interview it's three. Has anyone tried again much sooner??? Let me know your experiences.

Do you think it's worth me trying quantas Uk?? I just wanted Virgin as they are good with you changing rostas etc and don't mind you commuting from further away than the London areas.

Please let me know what you think as a six month wait is very depressing:{

changes2007
6th Jan 2007, 20:06
I'm looking in to applying for airlines at the moment and wondered about the long haul vs short haul. I am prepared to commute two hrs to Heathrow but wondered how much time you get off with different airlines between flights and now thinking perhaps short haul will be better?? Anyone able to give me examples??

vodkaholic
6th Jan 2007, 21:23
well, i currently fly short haul (absolutely love it!!) and working with a charter airline you will work max. 15 days a month. so if you think about it, that's really part time hours for full time pay. granted you really only get about max. 9 actual days off. the rest are home standbys (airport standbyes with certain airlines) but when ur standby ends the rest of the day is a day off!!

vodkaholic
6th Jan 2007, 21:25
as far as i know, if you fail at the interview stage then you have to wait 6 months also...i would say apply to the other longhaul carriers - qantas, BMED, Air NZ and BA when they start recruiting again, because i have heard very good things also about these companies.

I Just Want To Fly
6th Jan 2007, 23:53
I'm sorry that you didn't get an interview, it is a little hard to judge based on the information provided. I would be very surprised if you were not offered an interview only because of your maths grades, but it would depend on your age and experience, and the answers to the questions, and the overall presentation of your application. I was told "It has to be very neat, with no mistakes" - so that's what I did. I was lucky enough to get into VS on my first attempt, but alot of people take two or even three ettempts.

It is the nature of the industry. You have to keep positive, and keep trying!!!
Back home in Sydney, I tried QF 4 times, EK 6 times, DJ 2 times, :ugh: :ugh: and didn't get any of them. Then i finally got EasyJet:D , and moved to London. But i wanted to fly long haul:cool: , so I tried QFUK, JL and didn't get either of them, despite getting all the way to final interview for both. Then I finally got VS:D .

I used to always get very upset after being knocked back. :confused: I am well groomed, have heaps of customer service experience, speak Japanese and French, and work well in teams!!! :{ :{ OK I may not be a Brad Pitt look alike:8 , but still, it was so frustrating!

Hang in there, and if you plan to apply to my national carrier, QF, it is QANTAS Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service. There is no "u"

:O Good Luck!!!:O

changes2007
7th Jan 2007, 14:53
Thanks to those of you who have replied to my posts. It is nice to hear other people's feedback and experiences.I will keep positive and do some research this week as to who are recruiting at the moment???? I may try Virgin again, I had a reply from someone who only waited two months and got an interview!!!

:)