PDA

View Full Version : Homeland Security wrecks computer

rotornut
6th Jan 2007, 13:03
A friend of mine was recently on an inter island flight in Hawaii. Prior to boarding he was told by the Homeland Security officer that he had been selected for a "random security check". He had to hand over his baggage, including his laptop computer, to the officer who then took it in a back room, inspected it, and the returned it to him. A while later when he tried to use his laptop he found that it wouldn't boot up. He took it to a couple of computer shops which confirmed that the motherboard was dead and he'll have to replace the whole computer.
While he didn't see exactly what the officer did to it, he's pretty sure the guy is responsible for the damage as it was working before the inspection. Needless to say he's not too happy about this and has heard that it is not uncommon for HS to fry laptops during these inspections. I wonder if anyone else has had this kind of experience?

Pinkman
6th Jan 2007, 13:10
Yes, but I was able to recover from it. It totally screwed up the BIOS (the chip that controls the settings on startup) and when I got to the lounge at T4 it did a beeeeeep beeeeep choke gasp, etc.

But eventually I was able to reset the BIOS and all is now OK. I'm told that intensive x-ray screening can do that. An IT guy advised me NOT to allow it to be xrayed in standby mode or while running - shut it down before getting in the queue.

Pinkman

Litebulbs
6th Jan 2007, 13:26
Come on, a damaged laptop is a small price to pay in this fight against international terror. I41 feel safer knowing that homeland security are prepared to put their lives at risk taking on laptops and other WMD's in this struggle that affects all of our lives. I am still in a state of shock that you in the US, have withdrawn some of your backing of Mr Bush. How will we survive this war, without his delicate, humaine and balanced actions, protecting the rest of us in these terrifying times? Still, I still feel somewhat secure in the fact that Senator Blair is running the 51st state and protecting our interests and future in the global village. What, he is going as well?! What are we going to do? Run for you lives, we are all going to die.....................................!

fyrefli
6th Jan 2007, 16:05
Come on, a damaged laptop is a small price to pay in this fight against international terror...

Nice one :D

I got as far as "I'm sorry but that comment, similar to a lot made on here around the time of the summer security scare, fails completely to understand the potentially immense financial consequences..." before I realised you were joking ;)

PaperTiger
7th Jan 2007, 17:12
He took a laptop to Hawaii ??

Some readjustment of priorities in order methinks.

PAXboy
7th Jan 2007, 18:36
Looks as if the advice is: If your PC is inspected by Homeland Security - make them wait, whilst you switch it on and check it out. A complaint at a later time will mean that they can deny having anything to do with it. So, thanks for the warning rotornut.