PDA

View Full Version : Wasting my time ??

Atishoo
5th Jan 2007, 20:06
I have had an interveiw for Dispatch with Servisair, and really liked the sound of the job but..... (always a but) !!

Is there any point going for any other interveiws as I cant manage the hours these Companies want as im a Mummy with a full time working Hubby.

I dont want to waste anyones time, or my own if they will insist on a full time job, rather than a part time one.

The interveiw i had was supposedly for 20 hours till i got there, then magically it jumped to 39hrs !!

Any input would be greatly appreciated

older_wiser
5th Jan 2007, 20:57
In your circumstances i'd say it is always going to be difficult to move straight into a dispatch job.
Most companies i know would expect what they call " Flexibility " and i know from past experience that this is not always possible from working mums who have a hubby working full time.
That said i have known and still know of Feamle dispatchers with Kids and working hubbys however most of them have progressed through a company via Check in or even Cabin crew and have generally had their children whilst in dispatch and returned from Maternity leave to work Part Time.
In fact in a past company of mine we had 6 part timers all with youngsters but they had all progressed in the aforementioned way.
I think that most companies, interviewers, recruitment etc would be wary of taking someone in your circumstances straight into an ops department although one can never say never, i'd suggest the best course of action for yourself would be to start part time on check in and work your way into Dispatch via that route, growing into the job and hours as your children grow.
I guess this probably isn't the response you were hoping to hear, but i believe it is fairly close to the truth !:(

Atishoo
5th Jan 2007, 21:08
Thanks Older...
I think you may be right, but Servisair are quite prepared to take someone on with no experience, but then the shorter hrs thing is a major stumbling block.

I'm thinking if i just get to the interveiw and do well, there might be a sympathetic Manager who sees what i can offer instead of the slight un flexibilty. Lets wait n see

:)

older_wiser
5th Jan 2007, 22:47
I hope it works for you, but i speak from experience when i say don't trust what they tell you at the interview, i was once offered a job at servisair but that changed the terms, basically what they said at the interview wasn't what appeared in the contract so i turned it down.
Sadly that can often be the case at the airport these days :{

At least if you start on check in you would get a feel for the place and be able to get the terms you want.