PDA

View Full Version : (Freebie) AVG question.

Keygrip
5th Jan 2007, 16:06
IE6, Outlook Express. AVG Free Edition.

Have just rigged up an e-mail account to a relatively dormant laptop computer - for no other reason than "because I could"!!.

Noticed - during the sending of the usual "test" messages - that every incoming e-mail is flagged as having an attachment (each has a "paper clip" icon). I don't really care - I'm just curious.

The only data in the body of the message is the word "test", an underline and a a line or two of text saying that the incoming message has been scanned by AVG. There are no attachments.

I'm assuming that AVG is adding the paper clip icon as it considers its own message to be an attachment - although it does NOT do this on my desktop or notebook PC's, only on the dormant laptop.

A trawl through the FAQ's hinted at turning off the BAT! function - but a) I'm buggered if I know what a BAT! function is and b) I'm equally buggered if I know how to open it to get to its "options" tab (as it says in the FAQ).

Any thoughts, oh mystical bunch of guru's?

matelot
5th Jan 2007, 16:21
I'm assuming that AVG is adding the paper clip icon as it considers its own message to be an attachment - although it does NOT do this on my desktop or notebook PC's, only on the dormant laptop.

You're assuming correctly.

In my heady old XP days, a self-test message was always as an attachment. And does it matter one way or t'other?

Perhaps your ISP has some effect on virus scan messages.

Keygrip
5th Jan 2007, 16:50
No - at the moment it doesn't matter one way or t'other - but if EVERY message has a paper clip then I won't be able to easily find any message that does have an attachment.

They are not all "self" test messages - I get the attachment icon even on (test) messages from other senders - not just my own.

Still just curious......but just had a thought......the only machine to do this is running "Express", the other two (which don't get paper clips) are both running Outlook as part of Office 2003.

Mayhap the "snag" is in Express settings - not in AVG. Dunno. :confused:

BOAC
5th Jan 2007, 18:03
AVG scans mail and will add the text at the end to say that. If you do not want the text (it still scans) and the 'attachment', go to Email scanner in the AVG panel, plug-ins/configure and untick the box. I have unticked rx and tx boxes.

Keygrip
5th Jan 2007, 19:06
Yeah, thanks BOAC, but I get the lines of text on the two machines that don't flag everything as having an attachment - it's only on the Outlook Express with AVG, not on the Outlook with AVG.

Did anybody understand the BAT! question from the FAQ's?

Keef
5th Jan 2007, 22:08
Did anybody understand the BAT! question from the FAQ's?

The BAT! is a quirky e-mail package: I'm not sure who publishes it. The only folks I know who use it are spammers, so anything with The BAT! in the header goes straight into the spam folder here.