PDA

View Full Version : FAO Asthma sufferers - Buteyko Breathing Method

HomerJay
3rd Jan 2007, 16:17
Thought I would pass this onto anyone who suffers from asthma as this has helped me so much.

I got my PPL at 19 and messed around for 4 years before going for the class 1 medical because I was not confident I would pass (with good reason). I was then informed of the Buteyko method. A very brief explanation I found on the internet -

Buteyko Breathing Method is a programme developed by Russian Respiratory professor Konstantin Buteyko to recondition patients' breathing volume to normal levels. This involves:
1. Becoming aware of correct and incorrect breathing.
2. Switching from mouth breathing to nasal breathing permanently.
3. Learning breathing exercises to recorrect breathing volume.
4. Adopting small lifestyle changes necessary to assist with this, thus commencing the road to full recovery.

I attended a three day clinic last year which improved my asthma a great deal and was a big factor in increasing my peak flow and overall condition. During the course you can feel your condition improve which I saw happen others in the course also.

I passed the medical in December. I have come off my inhaler (seretide) and have less symptoms than before. I would recommend anyone who wants to improve their asthma to look into doing a similar course. If anyone wants more information pm me to avoid this looking like spam.

There were documentaries on RTE and BBC about this before which showed positive results. The course claims the reason hospitals do not recommend this is because the drug companies who provide so much funding would obviously be against anything like this.

Anyway it has helped me on my way to becoming a pilot so there you go, plenty of info on the net as well and any questions just shout.

HJ